Sad day for College Football

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Vern Lundquist's last game.. Army - Navy....with Keith Jackson's retirement several years ago, the College Game has lost two very good friends

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jaxwave
Swell

I am a Tulane NROTC graduate, Naval Aviator for six years, then reserves. Navy is a fellow AAC member. My older brother is a West Point graduate, Ranger.
Even I feel bad enough for the Cadets after 14 years and more importantly the loss of a teammate in a car accident a few weeks ago to pull for Army today.
They are up 14-0 at half and Navy's 4th team QB is expectedly playing awful. If Army can't hold on and win this year, they might never win again.
Never thought I would say this but "Go Army, beat Navy!"
Almost scared to watch second half in fear of Army collapse, which would be devastating now.
Jaxwave
Swell

And right on cue, Army fumbles on first possession of second half and Navy converts, 14-7. The monkey on Army's back is getting heavier and heavier. Navy expects to win, Army to lose.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

no matter the score...there are NO LOSERS on that field of play....I remember my first TV Telecast working for the NFL...Saints - Cowboys...Jimmy Johnson first regular season NFL Game..I was in the TV booth with Vern and John Madden....at that time Madden usually worked with Pat Summerall...but Summerall had a Golf tournament to do for CBS and Vern was brought in....Madden and Vern really did not get along...Vern was good friends with Bradshaw, and Madden was not a Bradshaw ...needless to say it was an interesting 4 plus hours !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:Vern Lundquist's last game.. Army - Navy....with Keith Jackson's retirement several years ago, the College Game has lost two very good friends
Trump going to appoint him Ambassador to Sweden.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

Army collapse nearly complete. Navy now leads 17-14.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote:Army collapse nearly complete. Navy now leads 17-14.
Army 21 Navy 17..... History lesson time.... We have all heard the "song" TAPS...I will now share it's origin...during the civil war at a battle in Viriginia the union and confederates were separated by a few hundred yards of open field...the battle raged during the day light hours with soldiers on both sides rushing the other...may lay dead...during the night a Union officer heard the groans of a wounded solider, not knowing if he was union or confederate, he crawled out and dragged the soldier back to his camp for medical attention to his shock, the solider was confederate, but was also his Son, who had been studying music in the South when the war began, without telling his father he enlisted in the Confederate Army...the Officer asked his superiors if he could give his Son a full Military Funeral, complete with a Band...they allowed him to have one instrument,not a full band, he chose a bugle and asked the bugler to play the musical notes that were in his son's pocket...we now know this as TAPS
Jaxwave
Swell

Tsunami, I was so intrigued by your Taps story, I wanted to read more about it. So I googled it and that is a bogus story. Did you know it was false and were just pulling our legs?
GreenLantern
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote:I am a Tulane NROTC graduate, Naval Aviator for six years, then reserves. Navy is a fellow AAC member. My older brother is a West Point graduate, Ranger.
Even I feel bad enough for the Cadets after 14 years and more importantly the loss of a teammate in a car accident a few weeks ago to pull for Army today.
They are up 14-0 at half and Navy's 4th team QB is expectedly playing awful. If Army can't hold on and win this year, they might never win again.
Almost scared to watch second half in fear of Army collapse, which would be devastating now.
Thanks to you and your brother for the very distinguished service to our country, Jaxwave. The beer is always on me.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:Tsunami, I was so intrigued by your Taps story, I wanted to read more about it. So I googled it and that is a bogus story. Did you know it was false and were just pulling our legs?
I did the same thing. Oh well, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
God Bless Everyone!
Jaxwave
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:I am a Tulane NROTC graduate, Naval Aviator for six years, then reserves. Navy is a fellow AAC member. My older brother is a West Point graduate, Ranger.
Thanks to you and your brother for the very distinguished service to our country, Jaxwave. The beer is always on me.
We both were fortunate to serve in a peacetime military. Although I am mighty proud of our service it is those who are veterans who deserve our deepest gratitude. The closest I came to engagement was flying reconnaissance of the coast of Tripoli in my P-3. They did brief us on evasive tactics if jets were scrambled against us (slim to no chance) which was fly low and fast as if that would have saved us against a net.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

To everyone who read the TAPS story if it is bogus my apologies...no one has more respect for those who serve than I , my Father served for 32 years and was in WW2, Korea and Viet Nam...my younger brother served 33 years and was in the first Gulf War, Iraq (twice) Afganistan and a few other places he could not tell me about. I got the info from my Wife's research for a Veterans Day celebration held at her school.