In College Football, Getting the Right Coach Is the Top Priority

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
GreenLantern
Riptide

College coaches are, to their teams, what the owner, the head coach and the general manager, combined, are to an NFL team. For everything to work, the university needs a competent president and athletic director, but success begins and pretty much ends with the head coach.
After reading this quote, who would you guess made such a post? winwave? golfnut? tps? DfromCT? Actually, the writer was Marc Tracy, a contributor to the NY Times. Here are several other of his pearls of wisdom:
The [college] football program...had four interim and permanent head coaches and...went 67-82. Then the team hired a new head coach. In the ensuing decade, that team, Alabama, has put together a 117-18 record, with four national titles. Nothing but the coach had changed.
Texas, in particular, is a case study in college football's coach-centric reality. In an earlier era, Texas could sit back and wait for the state's copious high school talent to beg for scholarships. ...But the money injected into the sport has substantially leveled the playing field.
Our strange and recently estranged contributor jj has preached this gospel for years. (Where is he?)
If you're talking about the elite schools, the success of coordinators with no head-coaching experience going in isn't very good...large elite jobs are not for on-the-job training., It's too complex.
To glean this truth, the author undoubtedly consulted with someone from Tulane after the CJ debacle. We also proved that a school does not have to be large nor elite to be beyond the capability of a coordinator.
...purely from a competitive perspective, the answer is obvious: athletic directors with real doubts about their coaches, along with alternatives they believe to be better, should make the change. Coaching changes do not slow down programs: bad hires do.
The contributors to this forum could fill up a book with supporting evidence to this.

It's a very interesting read even though it tells nothing we don't already know or have yet to experience at Tulane. Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/27/sport ... ottom-well

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It was a very good read and thanks for the link. At the same time, one thing the article neglects to mention is the quality and depth of the program the "Right Coach" inherits. At Michigan, Harbaugh inherited a program that featured the most upper-class players on the two deep depth chart both his first and second years. (That is a very rare feat; the roster is laden with 3rd, 4th and 5th year players.) That means he's playing primarily with players he didn't recruit. At Tulane (and most other schools that fire their coach) there was a significant departure by players when CJ was fired, leaving Fritz with a bare cupboard.

The depth chart was something that I referred to often when I predicted a 4 win season despite a somewhat favorable schedule. We lost a lot of talented players to graduation and transfer in the wake of hiring Fritz, and it showed. The obvious place was QB, the leader of the team. I really think Fritz is a good coach, but I also think he underestimated the competition in the AAC. He may be the right coach for Tulane, he may not, but he needs players to make the program better. The next two recruiting classes will ultimately decide if his years of success can translate into winning at Tulane.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Green Latern...TPS D/CT, Winwave and myself were all contacted to contribute to this "article"...but we all saw the absurdity of contributing to something that is so obvious...I cannot speak for them, but I spent my time on the putting green !!!!....for those who think UT and Herman are a marriage made in Heaven, you should read and hear some of the comments made by the Longhorn fan base...they all predict Herman, with his coaching history, will beat OU, OSU and WVU and lose to UTSA, TCU and Kansas
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:Green Latern...TPS D/CT, Winwave and myself were all contacted to contribute to this "article"...but we all saw the absurdity of contributing to something that is so obvious...I cannot speak for them, but I spent my time on the putting green !!!!....for those who think UT and Herman are a marriage made in Heaven, you should read and hear some of the comments made by the Longhorn fan base...they all predict Herman, with his coaching history, will beat OU, OSU and WVU and lose to UTSA, TCU and Kansas
Yeah, but if he goes 22-4 in two years, he'll never buy another drink in Austin.

Getting a little frosty up here for golf. Shot 39 at Glenn Arbor a few weeks ago (back 9, 3 par 3's), but haven't played since. Been on the ice a whole lot refereeing a lot of hockey.
greenphantom
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:Green Latern...TPS D/CT, Winwave and myself were all contacted to contribute to this "article"...but we all saw the absurdity of contributing to something that is so obvious...I cannot speak for them, but I spent my time on the putting green !!!!....for those who think UT and Herman are a marriage made in Heaven, you should read and hear some of the comments made by the Longhorn fan base...they all predict Herman, with his coaching history, will beat OU, OSU and WVU and lose to UTSA, TCU and Kansas
Yeah, but if he goes 22-4 in two years, he'll never buy another drink in Austin.

Getting a little frosty up here for golf. Shot 39 at Glenn Arbor a few weeks ago (back 9, 3 par 3's), but haven't played since. Been on the ice a whole lot refereeing a lot of hockey.

I played golf in your neck of the woods late September and the weather was beautiful. It was at Country Club of Darien for the Bobby Valentine Sacred Heart University Golf Outing
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greenphantom wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I played golf in your neck of the woods late September and the weather was beautiful. It was at Country Club of Darien for the Bobby Valentine Sacred Heart University Golf Outing
Damn...How come threeputt and I do not get invites to these events, I know U heavy hitters can use some on course comic relief !!....D/CT.if those 4 L's are to OU and OSU...things may not be so great....

D/CT....the weather here will be mid 70's until the week end...then the high 50's low 60's...not a cloud in sight !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

A NY Times reporter decides to focus his attention on the college football coaching carousel for a couple of hours. The fact that this was even published says all you need to know about Northeastern large market aversion to college football. May God bless Temple Football.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Green Phatom...D/CT....ThreePutt...and anyone else who wants to have a great time... make your reservations for San Diego next May 18 thru 21 !!! This is a bucket list must do !!!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 2543,d.amc
Ruski
Swell

So then dream AAC offseason: Miles to SMU, Strong to Houston, Babers to UCONN.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenphantom wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I worked there while my son was getting treatment. Did everything from caddying to cutting greens. Great course, but I had a fallout with the caddymaster once I went back to "real" work and only wanted to work weekends and outings.

Bobby V is a piece of work himself. The best athlete out of this area ever (and he'll tell you) he isn't a very good golfer at all. That being said if you go to his restaurant you can see football scholarship offers from Bear Bryant, Ara Parsegian (sp?) Darryl Royal, Jim McKay, and more. Basketball scholarship offers from UNC, ND, UCLA, and a whole lot more. It's ironic that he was a three sport star and can't play golf to save his life!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I worked there while my son was getting treatment. Did everything from caddying to cutting greens. Great course, but I had a fallout with the caddymaster once I went back to "real" work and only wanted to work weekends and outings.

Bobby V is a piece of work himself. The best athlete out of this area ever (and he'll tell you) he isn't a very good golfer at all. That being said if you go to his restaurant you can see football scholarship offers from Bear Bryant, Ara Parsegian (sp?) Darryl Royal, Jim McKay, and more. Basketball scholarship offers from UNC, ND, UCLA, and a whole lot more. It's ironic that he was a three sport star and can't play golf to save his life!
Bobby V was also a pretty good singer, he had a "hit' back in the 60's with a song called "Rubber Ball'....what better title for a multi sport guy
greenphantom
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I didnt get to see Bobby V play as he started on Hole 1 and my group started on Back 9 but I'm a 25+ handicap so he cant be much worse than me. Ive heard he is a good skier. Have been to his bar a couple of times and saw the memorabilia. He even has a letter from the Saints which I thought was odd since he never played college football. He still is tied for CT state record with 5 career Pick 6s, even though he primarily was a RB. I've gotten to know him a little and he has always been very nice.
greenphantom
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Bobby V was also a pretty good singer, he had a "hit' back in the 60's with a song called "Rubber Ball'....what better title for a multi sport guy
Lol. I believe that Bobby Vee just recently passed away.