LSU Fires Les Miles and hires Ed Orgeron

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
RobertM320
Green Wave

And in other news, its official. Tom Herman to Texas.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I hope they got him cheap....he had zero options
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:I hope they got him cheap....he had zero options
He had LSU as an option so that's why he's getting $6 million.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
D...Sonny has had his issues at Cal...but his total Head Coaching resume is light years better than Hermans...hell, Skip Holtz's resume is equal to or better than Hermans !!!! ... but if UT hires Herman, then Herman's first call is to Dave Aranda and UH's call needs to be to either Holtz or Strong's agents !!!
'nut: Herman's career record as a HC is 22-4. Dykes is under .500 in his career, Skip Holtz is 119-92 overall.

According to ESPN and USA Today, Herman has already been hired by UT. I'm not saying it's the right hire (or wrong one), I'm just saying!
Herman has 4 top 10 wins in two years. He won a national champ as an OC against bad odds. He brought in a recruiting class that competed against the P5s and he was basically offered by two of the most elite programs in the nation.
I don't know how you can see that Herman isn't a huge upgrade over Dykes/Holtz.
Check out Holtz's total resume....did Herman take a program from the ground up to D1 level...nope, yet Skip is charged with those L's !!!! .. in the big Tulane pic it makes no difference who UT hires...but if I am Houston, I am on the phone to Strong's agent to set up a super secret meeting at a Landry's Rest...
Leavit grew USF, Holtz was a mess.
who the hell is talking about USF...I am talking about UConn....get your facts correct !!!!
Yankee and A10 for four years, then he left in 1998 and UConn didn't go FBS until 2000. Perhaps you should check ur facts.
Holtz would be an abysmal hire, u clearly disagree, we shall see if he gets an interview.
I was mistaken, Holtz was there prior to the transition period to D-1...there was no FBS at that time ...I doubt UT will be interviewing him, since it looks like they wish to settle for a coach that loses to SMU, UConn, Navy and Memphis
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Ruski
Swell

LOL. He had LSU and Texas competing for him. Who more could you hope for? He could've had Houston pay him $4-5 mil a year and sat back until every single P5 job offered him over the next year or two. It seems obvious that Texas was his dream job. Maybe Ohio State is the only other place he'd rather be, we'll see after Meyer retires.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ruski wrote:
LOL. He had LSU and Texas competing for him. Who more could you hope for? He could've had Houston pay him $4-5 mil a year and sat back until every single P5 job offered him over the next year or two. It seems obvious that Texas was his dream job. Maybe Ohio State is the only other place he'd rather be, we'll see after Meyer retires.
Should be interesting to see who Houston replaces him with.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
Ruski wrote:
Should be interesting to see who Houston replaces him with.
Agreed! Early contenders: Dana Holgorsen, Dino Babers, Sonny Dykes, Phillip Montgomery, Art Briles, Major Applewhite, and Todd Orlando.

Stealing a P5 coach would be great for the reputation of the AAC and I would rather Montgomery continue to elevate Tulsa. If no Holgorsen I'd like to see Orlando or Lincoln Riley. If Charlie Strong is ready to get right back to coaching I think Houston would be a perfect fit for him to walk in and win right away, something he didn't have at Texas. Also the allure of the payback narrative would be great for Houston/AAC publicity.
Ruski
Swell

Other than Diaco all the AAC coaches should be safe to return next year. Hopefully no one is able to poach Montgomery, Matt Rhule, Chad Morris, or any of the others. Will be big offseason to keep this conference moving up.

Ideal scenario, all current coaches keep their jobs, Babers to UCONN and Holgorsen to Houston. Conference would be stacked in coaching talent.
ajcalhoun
Swell

I can't see Holgorsen leaving a P5 WVU voluntarily for a G5 Houston.

What I'd like to see is UH hire Strong for a ridiculously low sum and put the Longhorns on the hook to pay him the difference up to $5 mill/per for the next couple of years.
God Bless Everyone!
Ruski
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:I can't see Holgorsen leaving a P5 WVU voluntarily for a G5 Houston.

What I'd like to see is UH hire Strong for a ridiculously low sum and put the Longhorns on the hook to pay him the difference up to $5 mill/per for the next couple of years.
Holgorsen was supposedly on the hot seat a month or two ago before he beat Texas. Houston also paid Herman as much as Holgorsen makes at WVU. Holgorsen also has ties to Texas and Houston. While it would go against conventional wisdom, apparently there's enough there for NCAA football reporters to run with the idea.

UH hiring Strong for peanuts would be amazing. Even if they get him in the $1.5-2 mil range and he leads UH to an undefeated season in either '17 or '18 (they have very favorable OOC schedules) there would be soooooo much egg on UT's face.

Herman's buyout is actually not that bad considering they just redid his deal before the season, it's $2.5 mil to Houston.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There's one coach in the nation that has two wins against top 5 ranked programs this year. His name is Tom Herman.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jhg
Ripple

Ruski wrote:Other than Diaco all the AAC coaches should be safe to return next year. Hopefully no one is able to poach Montgomery, Matt Rhule, Chad Morris, or any of the others. Will be big offseason to keep this conference moving up.

Ideal scenario, all current coaches keep their jobs, Babers to UCONN and Holgorsen to Houston. Conference would be stacked in coaching talent.
Coach isn't leaving. His wife works at Temple, and there's no place that would even make sense for him.
Show Me
Tsunami

Looks like LSU may just back into the Sugar Bowl in Ed's head coaching debut. Auburn will fall and LSU will rise in the next CFP poll. The SEC had another terrible year outside of Alabama. Every team behind Bama will have at least 4 losses once Bama beats Florida in the SEC title game. If LSU happens to rise enough to overtake Auburn they will be Sugar bound with a 7-4 record. The Sugar Bowl's statue has really fallen in this new scenario.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Florida would be the choice assuming they lose to Bama. They beat LSU at LSU.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote:There's one coach in the nation that has two wins against top 5 ranked programs this year. His name is Tom Herman.
I agree completely, Tom Herman was able to collect fantastic talent to a G5 program while focusing their attention and effort upon top 5 teams exclusively.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

from the Austin rag.it has been reported, with Strongs and the assistants contracts, and some have three year deals, it will cost UT over 20 million

http://www.statesman.com/news/official- ... D0Pl3qUUP/

http://www.hookem.com/columns/golden-to ... ing-texas/

http://www.hookem.com/2016/11/26/questi ... s-arrival/

http://www.hookem.com/2016/11/26/notabl ... as-tenure/
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote:Other than Diaco all the AAC coaches should be safe to return next year. Hopefully no one is able to poach Montgomery, Matt Rhule, Chad Morris, or any of the others. Will be big offseason to keep this conference moving up.

While it remains to be seen if Diaco keeps his job, what I'm certain isn't going to happen is Dino Babers leaving Syracuse (in the ACC, a P5) for UConn, in the AAC. Syracuse has a much bigger football fan base, more history and tradition, and Babers has been there one year. He got his signature victory in his first season against a ranked VaTech squad. Yesterday, the Orangemen somehow scored 61 points and lost!

My point is that Babers is not leaving Syracuse to take two steps down and go to UConn. And it is also unlikely that he'd consider leaving Syracuse for the Houston job, which is probably only 1 step down. Ruski, you might be the only person on the planet that thinks Babers is going to leave Syracuse and go to a G5 after just one year.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:There's one coach in the nation that has two wins against top 5 ranked programs this year. His name is Tom Herman.
I agree completely, Tom Herman was able to collect fantastic talent to a G5 program while focusing their attention and effort upon top 5 teams exclusively.
And in the process, became the hottest coach among top P5 programs looking to hire a HC. Good for him, his plan worked. BTW: He had 20 wins over two seasons against teams not ranked in the top 5. Just to put that in perspective, I think you need to collect the last 5 years to show our Green Wave collecting 20 wins, and that includes our FCS opponents and some pretty damned bad FBS teams.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I could not be more pleased (amused, actually) that Ed Orgeron has been tapped as the next coach for LSU. Spend several million to terminate the most winning coach in LSU school history, the recruiter who has more players in the NFL than any other, and then hire The Infamous Mister Ed. Wow! *shaking my head*. Admittedly, I was hoping to see the intrepid purple-and-gold-school-of-higher-learning shell out an additional $7-10 million to buyout Bimbo Jimbo and then pony up $8-10 million dollars yearly for his contract. Nevertheless, the hiring of Mr. Ed is almost as gratifying. (Anyone that believes Mr. Ed is an upgrade over Les Miles forfeits all credibility.) You must realize that if the financial laws of reality prevail in Baton Rouge in the same manner as they do in the rest of the free market, this is a pretty painful chunk of change to throw about. Ten million here....ten million there....and soon you're talking about real money...even in the house that rednecks built.

That which makes LSU weaker, makes Tulane stronger.
Ruski
Swell

DfromCT wrote:

While it remains to be seen if Diaco keeps his job, what I'm certain isn't going to happen is Dino Babers leaving Syracuse (in the ACC, a P5) for UConn, in the AAC. Syracuse has a much bigger football fan base, more history and tradition, and Babers has been there one year. He got his signature victory in his first season against a ranked VaTech squad. Yesterday, the Orangemen somehow scored 61 points and lost!

My point is that Babers is not leaving Syracuse to take two steps down and go to UConn. And it is also unlikely that he'd consider leaving Syracuse for the Houston job, which is probably only 1 step down. Ruski, you might be the only person on the planet that thinks Babers is going to leave Syracuse and go to a G5 after just one year.

I agree there's a 0% chance of it happening, it's a fantasy. But Babers is being mentioned for some coaching spots. And there has been a good amount of internet chatter from Cuse fans worried that Babers may leave this year. The salaries for UCONN/Syracuse are actually even from what I can find. Alot easier to win at UCONN and same potential to move up to a premier job.
ajcalhoun
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: That which makes LSU weaker, makes Tulane stronger.
I disagree with this premise.

As it stands now, we do not compete for the same players, with the rare exception of a Duke Riley or Lindsey Scott.

When we do compete with them for a player we lose and we pretty much always will. If you disagree with this statement than you have never been to a game in Tiger Stadium, Vaught-Hemmingway, or Bryant-Denny. We cannot compete with the big-time atmosphere that the SEC enjoys.

Currently LSU chases the five-stars and four-stars that won't give us the time of day. If you weaken LSU to the point that they have to start recruiting players that we might have an interest in, we're not going to many (if any) of those battles. They're going to skim the Tanziel Smarts and Damian Monroes that usually fall through the cracks to us.

A weaker LSU makes for a stronger Alabama, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, etc.

A weaker LSU might make for a happier Tulane fan base, but it will ultimately make for a weaker Tulane football team.
God Bless Everyone!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Tuberville? His buyout goes down on 12/7/2016, and it seems highly unlikely that he will be back at Cincinnati next year. I 100% believe that both he and Diaco should be fired.

As for protecting the other existing AAC coaches, it seems unlikely that there will not be at least some voluntary movement beyond Herman leaving for Texas, as openings at Oregon, Baylor, Notre Dame, Arizona State, Texas A&M, UCLA, Arkansas, etc. could all come into play and any many AAC coaches have shown that they have the potential to do very big things at higher profile programs.
Ruski
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Tuberville? His buyout goes down on 12/7/2016, and it seems highly unlikely that he will be back at Cincinnati next year. I 100% believe that both he and Diaco should be fired.

As for protecting the other existing AAC coaches, it seems unlikely that there will not be at least some voluntary movement beyond Herman leaving for Texas, as openings at Oregon, Baylor, Notre Dame, Arizona State, Texas A&M, UCLA, Arkansas, etc. could all come into play and any many AAC coaches have shown that they have the potential to do very big things at higher profile programs.
Forgot about Tubbs when I wrote that. Would be interesting if Cincy could wrangle Kelly back.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I will just label this AAC - Big 12 coaching news

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... onny-dykes

and how to spend other peoples money

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/mar ... placements
Ruski
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:I will just label this AAC - Big 12 coaching news

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... onny-dykes
Damn I kind of think Morris is overrated. Would've been interested to see who SMU would go after had he left for Baylor. Heard rumors from some SMU fans that they were tired of being in Houston's shadow, boosters ready with checkbooks...whispers of Miles and such