Anyone Using Apple TV To View Away Games?

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I seem to remember one or two of you mentioning that you used Apple TV for the away games that were streamed but not on broadcast TV. I'm certain that there will be games other than Wake Forest that will be streamed but not televised, so I am considering taking the plunge and buying an Apple TV.

For those of you who are technically inclined, I've got a few questions. Your answers may determine whether I go to Best Buy today:
  • How is the quality of the picture?
  • I'm assuming that anything that I can stream to my phone or Ipad, I can display on my TV, correct?
  • I understand that there is a new version about to hit the market. Wonder if it would be advisable to wait?
  • Those of you who have Apple TV, did anyone purchase it locally (Best Buy, etc...) or did you buy it online? Suggestions?
  • Any other recommendations? Different memory configurations, etc?

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:I seem to remember one or two of you mentioning that you used Apple TV for the away games that were streamed but not on broadcast TV. I'm certain that there will be games other than Wake Forest that will be streamed but not televised, so I am considering taking the plunge and buying an Apple TV.

For those of you who are technically inclined, I've got a few questions. Your answers may determine whether I go to Best Buy today:
  • I'm assuming that anything that I can stream to my phone or Ipad, I can display on my TV, correct?
  • I understand that there is a new version about to hit the market. Wonder if it would be advisable to wait?
  • Those of you who have Apple TV, did anyone purchase it locally (Best Buy, etc...) or did you buy it online? Suggestions?

why not just log onto ESPN.com
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:I seem to remember one or two of you mentioning that you used Apple TV for the away games that were streamed but not on broadcast TV. I'm certain that there will be games other than Wake Forest that will be streamed but not televised, so I am considering taking the plunge and buying an Apple TV.

I have the old version. Bought it during Christmas 2014 for $79 from Best Buy. They match Amazon and most others. It works great. Just click on the ESPN App and stream the game you want. I have a high speed connection (66mbps) so it streams great in HD. I watched every road basketball game last year on it and some football ones also. The latest version is not 4K capable but allows you to download apps. I'm waiting for the next one with 4K to upgrade. I believe the current version out is around $130. Good luck.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: why not just log onto ESPN.com
Imagine Kate Upton on your phone, IPad or computer monitor. Now imagine her on 60" HD. That's why.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I have a Roku3. Bought it at Best Buy for around $100 I think. Watched almost every Bball game this year. Picture is amazing. My original Roku3 got destroyed during a bad lighting storm, they sent a new one free of charge.

There are a bunch of articles comparing Roku, Apple and Amazon. They basically are the same.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:
golfnut69 wrote: why not just log onto ESPN.com
Imagine Kate Upton on your phone, IPad or computer monitor. Now imagine her on 60" HD. That's why.
I am told the espn log in can work on my 60 inch screen without any issues, as per the Geek Squad at Best BUY...I am no computer geek so I will take their word for it...I will not be seeing the game this evening, my Wife is being honored by the School Board at tonites meeting, which begins at 6:15 ..I may make it home for the 4th quarter ...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I use a $30 Chromecast and stream/cast from either my phone, iPad, or PC. So easy.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
TXWave88
Surge

NOLABigSteve wrote:I use a $30 Chromecast and stream/cast from either my phone, iPad, or PC. So easy.
That is what I have been doing the past couple years.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

I have cut the cord and use the new Apple TV as my primary TV viewing device. Your home broadband speed will determine your viewing/picture quality moreso than the device itself. As long as you have strong wireless broadband, it's outstanding. Picture quality is every bit as good as regular HD TV, again assuming good broadband.

You can get your subscription to ESPN via the skinny bundle from Sling TV. You don't even need an ESPN subscription to get today's game, which is on ESPN3.

No one is sure what will be in the next Apple TV release, so it's hard to know whether to wait. If the next version is so good you must upgrade, you are talking about a $120 investment lost. There are always better releases around the corner, so it's usually hard to "wait" for the right specs, especially when you don't know what's coming.
Robert1969
Riptide

I have a new fourth gen Apple TV that I got for this specific purpose.

Pros:

Flawless streaming, no buffering -- streaming is far superior to what you get on iPad and iPhone.

Great picture. Can't tell you aren't watching regular TV.

Cons

Betrays Apple's reputation for ease of use and intuitive interfaces. For watching WatchESPN games, this is not a big deal. But it can be frustrating when using iTunes card for renting movies and TV programs. You have to use your computer to redeem itunes card, turn on home sharing, and buy/rent program from computer before sending it to AppleTV. Why you can't just do all this on AppleTV, I have no idea.

Also, you must get TV package from your cable company to use free apps like WatchESPN. Apple TV will give you an activation code, which you have to go online using computer/tablet/phone and enter to get permission to use it. Why all this can't be done through AppleTV, I don't know.

Also, it has no keyboard so it can be very frustrating to enter passwords. Etc... Get Apple Remote app for your phone or iPad so when you have to enter user names and passwords you can use your built-in keyboard.

From what I hear, all of these streaming devices are a bit complicated to use relative to most digital devices.

But picture and stream quality are about as good as you get. Now, I have never tested it during a major sporting event, but hear netflix and such stream smoothly as well.

Once you get used to it, it becomes less cumbersome, but it sure would be nice for Apple to simplify the user experience a bit. Would be nice not to have to switch from device to device.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Thanks to everyone for all the tips.

FYI, I left home at 5 o'clock bound for Best Buy. Purchased AppleTV, rushed home, did a quick configure, and now I'm watching the splash screen telling me that the game is about to begin.
RobertM320
Green Wave

With that green T on our helmet? LOL
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:Thanks to everyone for all the tips.

FYI, I left home at 5 o'clock bound for Best Buy. Purchased AppleTV, rushed home, did a quick configure, and now I'm watching the splash screen telling me that the game is about to begin.
Great! You'll be happy. Apple also gets the latest movies on Pay per View
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GB watch party at SportsBeat.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I watched the game on AppleTV--it was great (AppleTV). Finding the game on AppleTV is kind of a scavenger hunt, I had to click through many channels and screens to find the game, but once I did it was a great picture.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana