Benson-LSU End Game

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:They can get all the concession money in the Dome too. The real money is in the TV money they get for the game.
Concessions from 100,000 folks with a gross profit margin of what 80%? Parking?? Plus seat licenses, plus all sorts of other add-ons for home games in Tiger stadium. LSU may get a slight preference on TV share (say 2/16 while conference office is 1/16 and remainder goes pro rata to all other members. I don't know SEC distribution rules but that is a typical one for a conference.)

In other words, if LSU moved a home game, it loses lots and lots of money. If it moved a road game to the Dome, it could be relatively much better off based on appearance fee and other details.

Wake Forest has occasionally played its home game against FSU in Orlando for example. It made more money and obviously FSU was overjoyed about it as well. But it was a road game for FSU. Dome would have to find an LSU opponent with a home game willing to do that. Maybe Vanderbilt but I don't see any others and that's a broad stretch to consider that one.

These are the same reasons Alabama no longer plays in Birmingham and Packers no longer play in Milwaukee.
I was responding to golf saying they couldn't make ANY money off concessions. They can also get the parking at the Dome. They still get their seat license money. They will be making more money than a home game or they wouldn't be doing it. It could also be a situation where they end up w/7 home games instead of 6. Also we aren't talking about a conference game it will be an OOC opponent.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

Apparently Dannen is on board with LSU in New Orleans...
Speaking at the Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation Quarterback Club meeting Tuesday at Rock ‘n’ Bowl, Ausberry indicated a return to the Mercedes-Benz Superdome could happen in the next five years.
“We’re looking probably at 2022,” said Ausberry, who noted that the Tigers’ non-conference schedule is pretty much complete “out to 2030.”
“We’re talking to a few teams with help from the Sugar Bowl,” he said. “It would either be a single game or two neutral-site games,” similar to the deal LSU had with Wisconsin, playing games in Houston and Green Bay.

While Ausberry didn’t name any possible opponents, one suggestion came moments after Ausberry sat down.
“I’d like to help you, Verge,” said Tulane athletic director Troy Dannen, who followed Ausberry to the podium.
http://crescentcitysports.com/ausberry- ... superdome/
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote:Apparently Dannen is on board with LSU in New Orleans...
Speaking at the Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation Quarterback Club meeting Tuesday at Rock ‘n’ Bowl, Ausberry indicated a return to the Mercedes-Benz Superdome could happen in the next five years.
“We’re looking probably at 2022,” said Ausberry, who noted that the Tigers’ non-conference schedule is pretty much complete “out to 2030.”
“We’re talking to a few teams with help from the Sugar Bowl,” he said. “It would either be a single game or two neutral-site games,” similar to the deal LSU had with Wisconsin, playing games in Houston and Green Bay.

While Ausberry didn’t name any possible opponents, one suggestion came moments after Ausberry sat down.
“I’d like to help you, Verge,” said Tulane athletic director Troy Dannen, who followed Ausberry to the podium.
http://crescentcitysports.com/ausberry- ... superdome/
I think he was suggesting Tulane as an opponent.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
oliveandblue
Surge

I think Tulane needs a new rival. We haven't played LSU in forever. We don't have room for them until five years from now. It's just not happening on that front.

It's kinda weird that Tulane is one of the few teams in CFB that doesn't really have a clear mutual rival.
ajcalhoun
Swell

oliveandblue wrote:I think Tulane needs a new rival. We haven't played LSU in forever. We don't have room for them until five years from now. It's just not happening on that front.
We'd make room.
oliveandblue wrote:It's kinda weird that Tulane is one of the few teams in CFB that doesn't really have a clear mutual rival.
LSU decided they were above us and we decided Southern Miss was below us.
God Bless Everyone!
pansdad
Ripple

I was at the 1949 Tulane-Alabama game in Mobile. I was 11 years old and already become a Tulane Fan. There have been many miserable years but having taught at Tulane for 51-1/2 years I am "stuck" with the Green Wave. I have no regrets.
lurker123
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:
oliveandblue wrote:I think Tulane needs a new rival. We haven't played LSU in forever. We don't have room for them until five years from now. It's just not happening on that front.
We'd make room.
oliveandblue wrote:It's kinda weird that Tulane is one of the few teams in CFB that doesn't really have a clear mutual rival.
LSU decided they were above us and we decided Southern Miss was below us.
I miss the big rivalry game but playing LSU is a crutch too. Take it away and Tulane has to do its Forrest Gump imitation and "RUN." No more "If we beat them, we have a successful season." The only folks hurt by LSU's attitude are the fans. Too bad but Tulane doesn't need LSU to have a successful athletic program by any measure.
Ruski
Swell

SMU would be a good rival on paper but I can't really get too excited about that, same with Tulsa. Let's just beat Oklahoma this weekend and that'll be a good rival.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think not playing LSU has increased the rate of Tulane fans leaving the fold. A whole lot of people root for LSU. A small group doesn't and will root against LSU at any chance. This is true for any team (I personally hate the Patriots and root against them).

To think that Benson donated big $$ to help get Yulman built so he could bring in LSU and other P5 competition to the Dome is really conspiracy theory, IMHO. IF Tulane had minded it's own shop in the first place, we'd be a P5 and probably still playing there. We didn't; we aren't and life goes on.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: IF Tulane had minded it's own shop in the first place, we'd be a P5 and probably still playing there. We didn't; we aren't and life goes on.

THIS +10000000
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson