ESPN subscriber collapse/ratings

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:This cannot help the AAC w/r/t our next media rights contract. ESPN will be offering the P5's less money, so all bidders will be keeping bids down rather than trying to outbid one another. I think the AAC will get more money than the current (bought on the cheap) deal, but not nearly anything close to what the P5's currently receive. Half would be a major, MAJOR coup for Arresco.
A new contract at $12-15M per team (~half of P5 tv only revenue - no NCAA units/bowl revenue/network revenue/etc.) would be extraordinary given the current deal and would be enough to get convince BYU and Boise to join the AAC. However, that seems unlikely since the market has continued to show that big players will overpay for elite content (P5/NFL), but underpay for content not considered to be elite (everything else). As a very recent example, Amazon just paid $50M for 10 NFL games - that's ridiculous on paper, but, if Amazon experiences the increases in subscribers/viewers that Twitter did the year before when it owned those exact same rights, it's certainly worth it on the financial end. That's the difficult part for the AAC - it's content isn't really elite in the sense that no tv network/streaming provider will see a significant increase in viewers/subscribers solely by purchasing the AAC tv rights the way that they would by buying the rights to the B1G, SEC, B12, ACC, PAC12, and/or NFL.
I agree, which is why I think it will be a major coup if he was able to get that kind of money. Realistically, the only hope we have of getting something along the lines of $6-10 million/conference member would be if there's an entry to the (expanded playoff) for the AAC or a top G5 team and/or if the other media players are willing to outbid each other in search of content. But I agree, the AAC is not compelling content, but with all the different outlets combined, content COULD be in demand.
There is no doubt that there is a demand for AAC content - the issue is whether there is enough demand to drive the price up to a point that the AAC would see a significant increase in revenue for its teams. Because acquiring the AAC content would have a minor impact on online subscriptions, tv subscriptions, and viewership, it's likely that that demand will be fairly low. Unless an online provider charges separately for AAC content, there is no point in buying it from their perspective since it won't affect their bottom line much (if at all), and tv providers will only want AAC content as secondary content with the occasional high profile game (ranked AAC team, potentially competitive AAC P5 home game, or bowl games) being distributed through premier channels.

$6M per team would still be quite the coup - it's not impossible if it includes all sports and all teams (incl. Navy and Wichita State), but it's still unlikely since that number would have had to have been the result from a bidding process that would have made it that high. If the online providers and ESPN don't bid, the AAC may have to take what it can get from NBC, CBS and FOX even if it would be less than what it should be getting.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: There is no doubt that there is a demand for AAC content - the issue is whether there is enough demand to drive the price up to a point that the AAC would see a significant increase in revenue for its teams. Because acquiring the AAC content would have a minor impact on online subscriptions, tv subscriptions, and viewership, it's likely that that demand will be fairly low. Unless an online provider charges separately for AAC content, there is no point in buying it from their perspective since it won't affect their bottom line much (if at all), and tv providers will only want AAC content as secondary content with the occasional high profile game (ranked AAC team, potentially competitive AAC P5 home game, or bowl games) being distributed through premier channels.

$6M per team would still be quite the coup - it's not impossible if it includes all sports and all teams (incl. Navy and Wichita State), but it's still unlikely since that number would have had to have been the result from a bidding process that would have made it that high. If the online providers and ESPN don't bid, the AAC may have to take what it can get from NBC, CBS and FOX even if it would be less than what it should be getting.
I don't doubt what you're saying at all. But we don't know the landscape of the media purchasing sports world 5 years from now. We also don't know the status of the conference 5 years from now. I doubt it becomes a "P6" by then, and it may not even exist, if another round of re-alignment poaches too many "quality" teams. We better hope there's improvement in the perception of the conference, and that it doesn't dissolve leaving us without a conference. Unless Tulane goes on an extended run with say 4 bowl games 3 of which are December 30th or later, there will be no market for Tulane football without a conference. And if we were to go on such a roll, we'd be invited to another conference if the AAC were to blow up. Maybe even a P5, but again, it's all a pipe dream at this point.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
lurker123
Swell

Meanwhile back to MSESPN. It's like they serve this stuff up to us underhand.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... hakur.html

This really makes me want to buy an ESPN channel bundle for extra coverage of (far left wing) Poetry Appreciation Month instead of looking for expert insights as to if Tanzel will get drafted or sign as an UFA.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:Meanwhile back to MSESPN. It's like they serve this stuff up to us underhand.

This really makes me want to buy an ESPN channel bundle for extra coverage of (far left wing) Poetry Appreciation Month instead of looking for expert insights as to if Tanzel will get drafted or sign as an UFA.
There is a lot of crap content from ESPN and almost all media outlets. I can tell you, the first day of this years' NCAA basketball tournament I tuned into ESPN's flagship station on SiriusXM. They had three "kids" (probably mid-late 20's) talking about ridiculous things like what the woman would wear (it was a chic and two guys) if she had a date with the big man from South Carolina. It was garbage. Yet those folks probably kept their jobs!

Rather than waste time complaining about modern day media content, I simply "change the channel". I listened to the crap that day for maybe 90 seconds before I turned the dial.
RobertM320
Green Wave

lurker123 wrote:Meanwhile back to MSESPN. It's like they serve this stuff up to us underhand.

An "oversight in the selection process", or they got so many complaints they had to take it down?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I hate to say it, but there's more people interested in the political crap ESPN puts out than an article about whether or not Tanziel Smart gets drafted. We have NO fanbase. Nobody buys a magazine or watches a show because it is talking about the potential of a Tulane D-lineman getting drafted.

Those of us here don't want to read that crap and neither does most of America. But NOBODY gives a damn about a former Tulane player's chances in the NFL draft. Nobody.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Maybe ESPN figured it out. First time in years I'm watching ESPN besides college baseball. Boxing Manny Pacquiao vs Jeff Horn just starting live from Australia. Like a PPV but free!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

PAC robbed. The blind CWS ump Greg Street must have been a judge tonight.
Back to not watching ESPN.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Maybe ESPN figured it out. First time in years I'm watching ESPN besides college baseball. Boxing Manny Pacquiao vs Jeff Horn just starting live from Australia. Like a PPV but free!
are these two, Russian Bride wanna be's ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Maybe ESPN figured it out. First time in years I'm watching ESPN besides college baseball. Boxing Manny Pacquiao vs Jeff Horn just starting live from Australia. Like a PPV but free!
FREE
Never pass up FREE
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
are these two, Russian Bride wanna be's ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:
FREE
Never pass up FREE
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ratings hit a 4 year low.
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/07 ... ium=social
According to the Comeback, “ESPN declined 9 percent in prime time from 2016 (1.386 million vs. 1.526 million) and was the cabler’s least-watched second-quarter in four years.”
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Ratings hit a 4 year low.
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/07 ... ium=social
According to the Comeback, “ESPN declined 9 percent in prime time from 2016 (1.386 million vs. 1.526 million) and was the cabler’s least-watched second-quarter in four years.”
Even though I hate the political overtones at MSESPN, it really is about the cord cutting. Disney Channel is hemorrhaging subscribers as well.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1421043 ... magic.html
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ESPN losses cause Disney earnings disappointment.
Disney says ESPN contributed to 23% drop in cable operating income
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disney- ... -2017.html
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:ESPN losses cause Disney earnings disappointment.
They tried to hide the football by announcing yesterday about the 2019 start of its own streaming service. Who cares about deflating now when I can talk about awesome two years hence.

I think content owners will still have some leverage so this I guess is a slight positive for next AAC negotiations but that is only a SWAG.

Let's see what PGA does. It has a very high value but limited audience. Rumor has been for some time that it might ditch golf channel and start its own network. Perhaps in conjunction with a streaming service? My guess is it will simply make Comcast pay through nose to protect its Golf Channel property which will dissipate without current tournament content.
chain gang x man
Swell

I just came back from Disney World and with the prices they charge and the number of people there hard to see why they are loosing
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:
I just came back from Disney World and with the prices they charge and the number of people there hard to see why they are loosing
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Right. ESPN their anchor.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NFL ratings plunge first two weeks. League to take a $200 million hit on ad money.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/n ... et-1041187
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I pulled the ESPN plug with my provider this week...nothing but a bunch of hacks and I do not turn on ESPN for their political views or info...if I want politics or political info, I turn directly to the cartoon channel
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The NETWORKS are going to take a $200 million hit. The league ratings are off, but I don't see them giving back $200 million to the networks. The article certainly doesn't suggest that's happening.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Losing 15,000 subscribers a day now. May not be able to afford the NFL.
http://www.dailywire.com/news/22959/dea ... n-saavedra
”In the month of October ESPN lost over 15,000 subscribers a day in October per the latest Nielson estimates,” Travis wrote. “ESPN’s business is collapsing so rapidly that they are now trying to figure out which would be more destructive — losing billions on the NFL or losing billions in cable and satellite revenue because they don’t have the NFL.”
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

In an attempt to stop the bleeding Disney to charge $4.99 for ESPN Streaming App starting this spring.
https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/960986368812965888
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:In an attempt to stop the bleeding Disney to charge $4.99 for ESPN Streaming App starting this spring.
https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/960986368812965888
Thanks, I don't need them. If there's any concern about why they are losing viewers by the dozen, just tune in during the day and hear 30 seconds of the spew and "debate" they engage in. It took years to do it, but they have ruined a good thing.