2016 NCAA Regionals/Supers/CWS

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:You have to remember that forever the media was the only one with a say. As Graff just said he's just a fan with a mic. That's all writers are too. Now that fans can respond they can't handle it.
+1. This is so true. They never had to defend what they wrote when it was just in newsprint. Now they get called out on it.

I was curious about the P5 bias in baseball, so I did a random check as an example, and used warrennolan for all the stats.

I used Miami of the ACC as my example. They were #3 national seed, #2 in RPI. #5 in SOS. Seems reasonable. But then, most of their games were played against other teams in their conference, so in my theory, that artificially inflates their RPI. Therefore, I looked at their non-conference record. They were 20-3. However, against teams in the Top100 RPI, they were 2-3. The other 18 games were all teams with an RPI of 100+. So, did they really have the fifth toughest schedule? I don't think so, I think its inflated because all the ACC teams had inflated RPIs. And I think the same goes for the SEC.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The bias begins before the season begins. The SEC, ACC and other P5's start with high RPI's and as they play each other all it does is reinforce those inflated bias RPI's. Add Ole Miss 2&Q and Vandy 1&2 and you have 7 SEC host schools with a home regional record of 2-11.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

That's including super regionals?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:That's including super regionals?
Regionals + Super's.
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

tpstulane wrote:The bias begins before the season begins. The SEC, ACC and other P5's start with high RPI's and as they play each other all it does is reinforce those inflated bias RPI's. Add Ole Miss 2&Q and Vandy 1&2 and you have 7 SEC host schools with a home regional record of 2-11.

Been my gripe forever. The entire conference is ranked before the pitch is thrown. It automatically inflates their numbers when they play one another. And they sure don't go on the road for non-conf weekend series.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Pepper wrote:
tpstulane wrote:The bias begins before the season begins. The SEC, ACC and other P5's start with high RPI's and as they play each other all it does is reinforce those inflated bias RPI's. Add Ole Miss 2&Q and Vandy 1&2 and you have 7 SEC host schools with a home regional record of 2-11.

Been my gripe forever. The entire conference is ranked before the pitch is thrown. It automatically inflates their numbers when they play one another. And they sure don't go on the road for non-conf weekend series.
But you'll never get a media person, especially one covering a P5, to admit to that.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Damn, LSU gets all the breaks.

Ryan YoungVerified account
‏@RyanYoungTSN
I'm told Seth Lancaster has a knee injury from when he slid into home last night. #CCU without its hottest hitter (.444 avg since May 6).
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ECU had the Lubbock regional by the balls and allowed it to slip away....one sac fly and they would be in Omaha
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Super's: (LSU 0-2, Miss St 0-2, SC 0-2, ATM 1-2, Fla 1-1)
Regular Regional: (Ole Miss 0-2, Vandy 1-2) all those schools hosted.
So 7 SEC host schools are out and only Fla alive 0-7.
With Florida last hope for the SEC to get to Omaha you can bet most of the country is pulling for FSU.
Tulane Class of 1981
posse
High Tide

The mighty has fallen..........nothing else to say......enjoy !!
Last edited by posse on Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Wish that we could have had the pleasure of knocking them out of the super regional.
Hornetswave
Low Tide

That would have been nice .....good luck C.C.U
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

posse wrote:The mighty has fallen..........nothing else to say......enjoy !!
The "mighty" ?....should have been eliminated by Rice..but an Umpires non action stupidity, and a crew chief with no balls allowed LSU to escape with a win.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Super's: (LSU 0-2, Miss St 0-2, SC 0-2, ATM 1-2, Fla 1-1)
With Florida last hope for the SEC to get to Omaha you can bet most of the country is pulling for FSU.
I hear you but most of the country doesn't care.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I think they only got the 7 in. So they are 0-6 now. Hopefully FSU makes it 0-7.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Pepper
Swell

The possum is road kill.
lurker123
Swell

lurker123 wrote:
I hear you but most of the country doesn't care.
TPS, it took me about 20 minutes but of course you are right. Today we are all FSU fans. (See that wasn't hard to type.)
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

The "possum" was a set up
By some lsu people from the very beginning. Book it.
RobertM320
Green Wave

By the numbers:

7 - number of SEC teams that hosted regionals
4 - number of SEC teams that got national seeds
1 - (or 0) number of SEC teams going to Omaha

Gotta love those "power" conferences.

Get everything tilted in their favor, and they still don't produce. Actually, did any SEC school play a single game outside of their own stadium this entire tournament? No. Every SEC team hosted regionals, and all five that made it to the Super Regionals hosted. Something needs to be done about this.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Here's another thought about why the system needs to be changed.

SEC got seven teams in. They didn't play ONE SINGLE GAME on an opponents field. Every game was played in their home stadiums. All 7 hosted regionals, and all 5 of the teams that made it to the SR round hosted as well. This needs to change.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:I think they only got the 7 in. So they are 0-6 now. Hopefully FSU makes it 0-7.
That's right. Got excited late last night. Lol
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:By the numbers:

Get everything tilted in their favor, and they still don't produce. Actually, did any SEC school play a single game outside of their own stadium this entire tournament? No. Every SEC team hosted regionals, and all five that made it to the Super Regionals hosted. Something needs to be done about this.

And in 2017, they will have 8 teams ranked in the pre-season top 10 and the rest will be in the top 20.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:

And in 2017, they will have 8 teams ranked in the pre-season top 10 and the rest will be in the top 20.
Right. It repeats that scenario year after year.
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Pepper wrote:

Right. It repeats that scenario year after year.
Believe it or not, alternative argument could be: home field doesn't matter that much. Look at all the road teams which advanced. However SEC sells tickets in multiples of what other potential non-SEC hosts would do. Keep giving SEC hosting rights and it'll help NCAA balance the tournament budget.

Just preparing all for next year when the same hosting sites are awarded.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Take "Hosting" out of the equation....have cities bid for Regionals, just like NCAA basketball.....Delete super regionals...have regionals set up as 6 or 8 teams with brackets...you have a regional and super regional at one site...this is perfect for Minor League parks when their team is on the road...great facilities, cut's travel cost for the participating teams and allow Umpires to do their job correctly...The regional ump's at BR should be banned and the plate ump for game 2 super regional at Lubbock should be suspended... take a look at what Boston College travel looked like this past month...