The Never Ending Gift of Cowen

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Fresh hot off the Tulane presser, Cowen was named to Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Student Athletes... and is quoted saying "As a former student-athlete and university president, I have felt for years that intercollegiate athletics needs to be reformed for the benefit of student-athletes and our universities,”...

Yeah. About that Mr. Cowen......

http://tulane.edu/news/releases/cowen-n ... ission.cfm

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Cowen needs to dis-associate himself from Tulane University. We should severe all ties with him rapidly. We've gone in a completely different direction, and his little secret deficit of $15-20 million/year has come to light. I don't want OUR University to be associated with his losing mentality. He's no longer our President, and should be stripped of the title of President Emeritus.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Fresh hot off the Tulane presser, Cowen was named to Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Student Athletes... and is quoted saying "As a former student-athlete and university president, I have felt for years that intercollegiate athletics needs to be reformed for the benefit of student-athletes and our universities,”...

Yeah. About that Mr. Cowen......

http://tulane.edu/news/releases/cowen-n ... ission.cfm
Other than the fact that he should not be doing this from any Tulane-related platform, who cares? This is the kind of mental masterb@tion that Cowen is good at. Good luck to the Knight Commission in fighting the free market and getting consumers to like college sports less. What a worthy endeavor. :roll: :lol:
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:Cowen needs to dis-associate himself from Tulane University. We should severe all ties with him rapidly. We've gone in a completely different direction, and his little secret deficit of $15-20 million/year has come to light. I don't want OUR University to be associated with his losing mentality. He's no longer our President, and should be stripped of the title of President Emeritus.
We certainly agree on this. It's absolutely absurd that he's continuing to use the Tulane platform while that deficit is unresolved.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Cowen needs to dis-associate himself from Tulane University. We should severe all ties with him rapidly. We've gone in a completely different direction, and his little secret deficit of $15-20 million/year has come to light. I don't want OUR University to be associated with his losing mentality. He's no longer our President, and should be stripped of the title of President Emeritus.
We certainly agree on this. It's absolutely absurd that he's continuing to use the Tulane platform while that deficit is unresolved.
Yeah the deficit is pretty embarrassing thing to hide in light of what's going on in state. Please don't be afraid to come to our wonderful B School, we certainly know how to crunch numbers and balance budgets.... :cry:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Every thing that has a SC name on it needs to be changed ASAP....His name and likeness needs to be displayed so that many will know what an ass hole really looks like !!!...Since I may express myself under the freedom of speech article to the constitution, I think SC and his wife's personal accounts need to be carefully looked into, especially following Katrina and the FEMA money that ole SC had at his disposal
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
There are signs saying "Cowen Circle" on both entrances to the front of the university. The guy left a huge budget gap, BSchool in shambles and athletics a total mess.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
There are signs saying "Cowen Circle" on both entrances to the front of the university. The guy left a huge budget gap, BSchool in shambles and athletics a total mess.
"Cowen Circle" or Cowen Circle Jerk" ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think the title of the thread should be changed to "The Never Ending Stench of Scott Cowen."

If he's about to take to the proverbial podium pontificating on all that is wrong with College Athletics, he's probably going to alienate those very people that we're (hopefully) trying to court in an effort to get into the P5 club. We can't shut his mouth, but we can severe all ties and let him do it with no backing or support from The Tulane University of Louisiana.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:I think the title of the thread should be changed to "The Never Ending Stench of Scott Cowen."

If he's about to take to the proverbial podium pontificating on all that is wrong with College Athletics, he's probably going to alienate those very people that we're (hopefully) trying to court in an effort to get into the P5 club. We can't shut his mouth, but we can severe all ties and let him do it with no backing or support from The Tulane University of Louisiana.
THIS.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
lurker123
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
How is "BSchool in shambles?" Please elaborate. Enrollment there at undergrad level is exploding and they just announced a new building project to connect the existing ones. Cowen has a lot of sins but this doesn't smell like one of them.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

lurker123 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
How is "BSchool in shambles?" Please elaborate. Enrollment there at undergrad level is exploding and they just announced a new building project to connect the existing ones. Cowen has a lot of sins but this doesn't smell like one of them.
Well there was the data reporting scandal and then there's the having to re-start the computer science program from scratch. Cowen, who brands himself an education genius, didn't know that CS was not only going to become a general requirement, but a necessity for a business education. An MBA grad today without CS skills is going to have problems in the workplace.
nawlinspete
Riptide

President Fitts; finish the job. Terminate any and every connection between cowen and Tulane. And have our attornys get a signed 'total prohibition' order from that dishonest and lying SOB.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

This guy won't just go away.

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/ ... ut_of.html
"I still have considerable ambivalence about Tulane's athletics program," he wrote. "To this day I second-guess myself about the final decision."
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
IM42lane
Swell

Cowen (and Dickson) ==> constant reminder(s) to ALL Tulanians that it is better in life to be a good FLIM/FLAM con artist than be a well-educated and talented person.

What in Hades can we do to make these (*-^(^%-*%.$&*,$#$ just GO AWAY!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Glad he finally admitted he wanted to go DIII and regrets his decision not to go DIII to this day. Everyone around at that time knew it. Hard to believe he still doesn’t understand what a successful athletic program does for the University as a whole. Ask Alabama and others.
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:02 am Glad he finally admitted he wanted to go DIII and regrets his decision not to go DIII to this day. Everyone around at that time knew it. Hard to believe he still doesn’t understand what a successful athletic program does for the University as a whole. Ask Alabama and others.
Not sure if I'm reading your comment the wrong way, but I read the article to mean he regrets his decision to stay Div 1. I don't know. Either way, he was/is a 1st class ass.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Scott and Marge need a few things...a Last Meal...a Cigarette, Cigar or a Vapor, a Blindfold and...
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:14 am
tpstulane wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:02 am Glad he finally admitted he wanted to go DIII and regrets his decision not to go DIII to this day. Everyone around at that time knew it. Hard to believe he still doesn’t understand what a successful athletic program does for the University as a whole. Ask Alabama and others.
Not sure if I'm reading your comment the wrong way, but I read the article to mean he regrets his decision to stay Div 1. I don't know. Either way, he was/is a 1st class ass.
Thanks. I fixed it!! He regrets not going DIII to this day. Sorry I can see how it could be misinterpreted before my fix.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Cowen is out of the news for a while and decides to do a Katrina themed article? Shocking. What a guy.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Maybe, but Alabama is an unfair comparison as the two institutions are quite different as Tulane has a number of factors that it has to account for that make its situation more limited.

Enrollment is a good example of this. Tulane is landlocked, but requires freshmen and sophomores to live on campus, and, while that rule could be removed, doing so would negatively impact Tulane's retention and graduation rates. Because of that, Tulane wants its enrollment to grow but not if that increase in enrollment would not be sustainable regardless as to whether Tulane won or lost games, as any notable increases in enrollment would result in hard decisions being made - repurposing buildings, building on limited land already on campus, acquiring a new residential hall off campus, removing the requirement and risking academic ranking, etc.. That's not even taking into account that Tulane would want any students that are part of an increase in enrollment to have standardized test scores in line with what the university already admits. In contrast, Alabama could expand whenever it needs to since it's not land locked, it does not require sophomores to live on campus, it really doesn't matter much to its rank if its median ACT goes up or down by one or two points in a given year, and there are a lot more prospective students with lower standardized scores it admits than the higher ones that Tulane does.
Wave755
Tsunami

I wonder if Cowen now believes it was a mistake to overrule Sandy Barbour and say no to RR in 1998? But, then of course, Chris Scelfo, Georgia's OL coach, did agree to $350K a year and "promise to stay"" ? :lol:
I wonder if Cowen now believes it was a mistake to pull the rug out on Scelfo in the spring of 2003 for the review after we had just won the Hawaii Bowl in December, 2002 before a large TV audience?
I wonder if Cowen now believes for his entire 16 year tenure as Tulane president it was a mistake to refuse to pay a Div. 1 salary for our football coach and in doing so limited our choices for coach to "washed up" people like "Buffet" Bob Toledo or "shots in the dark" like Scelfo and CJ?
And, I wonder if Cowen now believes it was a mistake to totally neglect our potentially revenue producing Men's basketball program?

Thank God Michael Fiits is our new president and he and Hertz and Dannen decided to hire a real coach in WF and came up with the money for a competitive salary to do so. In 2018 we will reap the dividends for football of their leadership,

Cowen never really understood and still doesn't to this day understand football is the engine that pulls the train for Div. 1 athletics.

Happily, Cowen is no more! :thumbup:
Last edited by Wave755 on Mon May 14, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Scott Cowen "The Gift That Keeps on Taking".
IM42lane
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:15 pm I wonder if Cowen now believes it was a mistake to overrule Sandy Barbour and say no to RR in 1998? But, then of course, Chris Scelfo, Georgia's OL coach, did agree to $350K a year and "promise to stay"" ? :lol:
I wonder if Cowen now believes it was a mistake to pull the rug out on Scelfo in the spring of 2003 for the review after we had just won the Hawaii Bowl in December, 2002 before a large TV audience?
I wonder if Cowen now believes for his entire 16 tenure as Tulane president it was a mistake to refuse to pay a Div. 1 salary for our football coach and in doing so limited our choices for coach to "washed up" people like "Buffet" Bob Toledo or "shots in the dark" like Scelfo and CJ?
And, I wonder if Cowen now believes it was a mistake to totally neglect our potentially revenue producing Men's basketball program?

Thank God Michael Fiits is our new president and he and Hertz and Dannen decided to hire a real coach in WF and came up with the money for a competitive salary to do so. In 2018 we will reap the dividends for football of their leadership,

Cowen never really understood and still doesn't to this day understand football is the engine that pulls the train for Div. 1 athletics.

Happily, Cowen is no more! :thumbup:
Cowen will NEVER admit that he was wrong about anything, period.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere