Art Briles - Gone

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Well, it's finally happened. Baylor fired Briles.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /84973662/

(yeah I know this may be the wrong forum, but I wanted to put it here just because it's a big deal)

JerseyWave
Riptide

A little over six months ago many of us wanted Baylor's Assistant AD (the name escapes me) to become Rick Dickson's replacement. Kendall Briles, Art's son, was also mentioned as a possible candidate to replace Coach CJ. Looks like Tulane chose wisely with Dannen and Fritz.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Regents did not view any of the three key leaders involved in the sexual assault scandal — Briles, Starr or McCaw — as irreplaceable, and that the football program had reached a level of success that it would not backslide to the bottom of the Big 12 were Briles no longer the coach.
They can say this all they want. Whether its true or not we'll have to wait and see.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:A little over six months ago many of us wanted Baylor's Assistant AD (the name escapes me) to become Rick Dickson's replacement. Kendall Briles, Art's son, was also mentioned as a possible candidate to replace Coach CJ. Looks like Tulane chose wisely with Dannen and Fritz.
Excellent point. Taken a step further, some here wanted to hire an AD solely for his ability to bring Kendall Briles as a package deal. Considering that was only ~6 months ago, a useful lesson in how absurd some positions are on your average sports social media forum.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
Regents did not view any of the three key leaders involved in the sexual assault scandal — Briles, Starr or McCaw — as irreplaceable, and that the football program had reached a level of success that it would not backslide to the bottom of the Big 12 were Briles no longer the coach.
They can say this all they want. Whether its true or not we'll have to wait and see.
To be brutally honest, they will at least attract a top tier coach given the (1) salary pool (Briles made ~$5.9M in 2014), (2) facilities (including stadium), (3) quality of roster and recruiting efforts, (4) alumni support and stadium sellouts, and (5) general program reputation (aside from the obvious issue[s]). So, at least in theory, since the program has everything together (you know what I mean), all it needs is a quality coach. The interesting question is, who would this coach be? Baylor, at this exact moment in time, is above hiring a coordinator to be head coach (other than an internal hire), and, because the coaching carousel has stopped, if we assume that Baylor does not hire from within, Baylor would have to take a coach from another program. Who would they take? Houston's Herman? That's probably the most logical choice but it would be devastating to the AAC.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
To be brutally honest, they will at least attract a top tier coach given the (1) salary pool (Briles made ~$5.9M in 2014), (2) facilities (including stadium), (3) quality of roster and recruiting efforts, (4) alumni support and stadium sellouts, and (5) general program reputation (aside from the obvious issue[s]). So, at least in theory, since the program has everything together (you know what I mean), all it needs is a quality coach. The interesting question is, who would this coach be? Baylor, at this exact moment in time, is above hiring a coordinator to be head coach (other than an internal hire), and, because the coaching carousel has stopped, if we assume that Baylor does not hire from within, Baylor would have to take a coach from another program. Who would they take? Houston's Herman? That's probably the most logical choice but it would be devastating to the AAC.
Would Herman even think about taking that job? My OSU friends and UT friends seem to think that Herman has been gunning for the main gig in the Texas or Charlie Strong's job at UT since that was his first big job under Mack Brown.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Hermann isn't leaving for Baylor.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I know we'd all like to believe that we have another route to "P" status by the AAc becoming #6. Sorry but that's not going to happen. There are no schools that the conference can realistically get that are going to have anyone bump the current #2 million in TV money to over $20 million. We need to hope the Big 12 waits and our new leaders are as successful as we think they will be .
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote: To be brutally honest, they will at least attract a top tier coach given the (1) salary pool (Briles made ~$5.9M in 2014), (2) facilities (including stadium), (3) quality of roster and recruiting efforts, (4) alumni support and stadium sellouts, and (5) general program reputation (aside from the obvious issue[s]). So, at least in theory, since the program has everything together (you know what I mean), all it needs is a quality coach. The interesting question is, who would this coach be? Baylor, at this exact moment in time, is above hiring a coordinator to be head coach (other than an internal hire), and, because the coaching carousel has stopped, if we assume that Baylor does not hire from within, Baylor would have to take a coach from another program. Who would they take? Houston's Herman? That's probably the most logical choice but it would be devastating to the AAC.
Would Herman even think about taking that job? My OSU friends and UT friends seem to think that Herman has been gunning for the main gig in the Texas or Charlie Strong's job at UT since that was his first big job under Mack Brown.
That's a good question that only Herman knows. If he waits a year, he could have a shot at either Texas or Texas A&M if those coaches do not have good seasons. However, there is always the possibility that both of those coaches could have good seasons next year (~8 regular season wins for Texas and ~10 regular season wins for Texas A&M) and he would be left at Houston and have less attractive options than Baylor is right now.
winwave wrote:I know we'd all like to believe that we have another route to "P" status by the AAc becoming #6. Sorry but that's not going to happen. There are no schools that the conference can realistically get that are going to have anyone bump the current #2 million in TV money to over $20 million. We need to hope the Big 12 waits and our new leaders are as successful as we think they will be .
I don't think that the playoff system has rules that would allow a non-P5 conference to become an access conference like the P5 the way that the BCS system rules did, and, as such, no matter what happens, we will not be a P5 conference in terms of access. Access is important because it signals that a conference is relevant and that it's champion has a good shot at the playoffs or a great bowl.

That doesn't mean that the AAC cannot be awesome. It's just we won't be considered a peer of the ACC (as it is currently structured) no matter how many of its teams we beat every year.
dpm wave
Swell

To Da Rat in.........3........2........1..........
puffy
Surge

Cautionary tale of a non-traditional power program doing whatever it takes to breakthrough the ceiling of big time football/athletics.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote: To be brutally honest, they will at least attract a top tier coach given the (1) salary pool (Briles made ~$5.9M in 2014), (2) facilities (including stadium), (3) quality of roster and recruiting efforts, (4) alumni support and stadium sellouts, and (5) general program reputation (aside from the obvious issue[s]). So, at least in theory, since the program has everything together (you know what I mean), all it needs is a quality coach. The interesting question is, who would this coach be? Baylor, at this exact moment in time, is above hiring a coordinator to be head coach (other than an internal hire), and, because the coaching carousel has stopped, if we assume that Baylor does not hire from within, Baylor would have to take a coach from another program. Who would they take? Houston's Herman? That's probably the most logical choice but it would be devastating to the AAC.
That's a good question that only Herman knows. If he waits a year, he could have a shot at either Texas or Texas A&M if those coaches do not have good seasons. However, there is always the possibility that both of those coaches could have good seasons next year (~8 regular season wins for Texas and ~10 regular season wins for Texas A&M) and he would be left at Houston and have less attractive options than Baylor is right now.
winwave wrote:I know we'd all like to believe that we have another route to "P" status by the AAc becoming #6. Sorry but that's not going to happen. There are no schools that the conference can realistically get that are going to have anyone bump the current #2 million in TV money to over $20 million. We need to hope the Big 12 waits and our new leaders are as successful as we think they will be .
I don't think that the playoff system has rules that would allow a non-P5 conference to become an access conference like the P5 the way that the BCS system rules did, and, as such,no matter what happens, we will not be a P5 conference in terms of access. Access is important because it signals that a conference is relevant and that it's champion has a good shot at the playoffs or a great bowl.

That doesn't mean that the AAC cannot be awesome. It's just we won't be considered a peer of the ACC (as it is currently structured) no matter how many of its teams we beat every year.
This is probably true. However, if the AAC teams get good enough that there's virtually no gap between the P5 and AAC, and a huge gap between AAC and the remaining G4, you then reach a point where The AAC could probably find a way to threaten legal action. Not sure what the process would be, but at some point you need to bust up the cartel.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I agree about legal action - it would probably require Congress to get involved since a lawsuit would be extraordinarily difficult.

Ah! Dino Barbers! He would be an excellent -proven- coach for Baylor (and he was there as a position coach for 3 years).
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

On a side note, Baylor has released some of the report done by Pepper Hamilton, and their own summary of the overall report is let's just say... damning...

"failed to integrate Title 9/ failed to maintain effective control and oversight of the athletic department" , "administrators engaged in conduct that could be perceived as victim blaming"

Basically, the report just sums up what we have all concluded, lack of institutional control. I bet Baylor's Methodist friends in Dallas are reminding them of what could happen....

http://www.baylor.edu/rtsv/doc.php/266596.pdf
Wave755
Tsunami

SB Nation take on Briles firing: http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... ylor-fired

I believe Chris Petersen, then Boise State HC, told Briles everything he needed to know about DE Sam Ukwuachu, Briles deserved to be fired for this reason and many others.

NBC Sports take on Briles firing: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... cnews:text
pansdad
Ripple

Did you know that Ken Starr was a VP at Tulane when Hackney was president?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

pansdad wrote:Did you know that Ken Starr was a VP at Tulane when Hackney was president?
No. Fred Starr was VP.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bearwave
High Tide

Wave755 wrote:SB Nation take on Briles firing: http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... ylor-fired

I believe Chris Petersen, then Boise State HC, told Briles everything he needed to know about DE Sam Ukwuachu, Briles deserved to be fired for this reason and many others.

NBC Sports take on Briles firing: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... cnews:text
The official release paperwork from Boise on Sam U had no reference at all about any abuse or sexual misconduct. It was released last fall. I don't believe Pederson's story.
The Title IX department was under Ken Starr, yet he's still there as a chancellor instead of President. And how the hell wasn't Ian McCaw fired.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
VerdeGeaux
Low Tide

not everyone wanted kendall briles, arts son. I warned yall last fall, below was my post back then. I know im tooting my own horn, but im hoping to gain some message board street credibility on here! Maybe yall will start to think i might know what im talking about! Lets see what level of job Kendall briles gets when they all get ran out of town.
Ive seen people tout kendall briles from baylor on here a couple of times, and let me be the 1st to tell......HELL NO lol! Kendall is definitely not ready and is about 10 years behind TCU OC cumbie. Kendall Briles couldnt get a 6A Houston HC job if wanted one and I'm being dead serious. His reputation is coaching circles is as bad as it gets and hes extremely immature and acts like hes still in HS.

Also Kendall Briles has never coached anywhere without his daddy holding his hand and even then hes only been the baylor OC 1 year, and we all know hes not the one calling the plays there. He has had multiple recruiting violations already this year, and his reputation in Texas along with Arts is pretty bad. I wouldn't be surprised if you googled "snake in the grass", that both briles father and son picture wouldnt pop up!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

VerdeGeaux wrote:not everyone wanted kendall briles, arts son. I warned yall last fall, below was my post back then. I know im tooting my own horn, but im hoping to gain some message board street credibility on here! Maybe yall will start to think i might know what im talking about! Lets see what level of job Kendall briles gets when they all get ran out of town.
Ive seen people tout kendall briles from baylor on here a couple of times, and let me be the 1st to tell......HELL NO lol! Kendall is definitely not ready and is about 10 years behind TCU OC cumbie. Kendall Briles couldnt get a 6A Houston HC job if wanted one and I'm being dead serious. His reputation is coaching circles is as bad as it gets and hes extremely immature and acts like hes still in HS.

Also Kendall Briles has never coached anywhere without his daddy holding his hand and even then hes only been the baylor OC 1 year, and we all know hes not the one calling the plays there. He has had multiple recruiting violations already this year, and his reputation in Texas along with Arts is pretty bad. I wouldn't be surprised if you googled "snake in the grass", that both briles father and son picture wouldnt pop up!
Good job Verde!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

puffy wrote:Cautionary tale of a non-traditional power program doing whatever it takes to breakthrough the ceiling of big time football/athletics.
Well, ok, but it would be hard to suggest that the university didn't accrue about a $B in value as a result, so....
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

VerdeGeaux wrote:not everyone wanted kendall briles, arts son. I warned yall last fall, below was my post back then. I know im tooting my own horn, but im hoping to gain some message board street credibility on here! Maybe yall will start to think i might know what im talking about! Lets see what level of job Kendall briles gets when they all get ran out of town.

Fair. Credibility earned. That's exactly how this works.
DrBox
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Oh please. There was zero chance of Herman going to Baylor without a scandal, much less with a scandal. Nor will Baylor get any other "top tier" coach.
JerseyWave
Riptide

You nailed it!!! Fortunately, Tulane did not hire from Baylor to fill the AD and Football openings.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Oh please. There was zero chance of Herman going to Baylor without a scandal, much less with a scandal. Nor will Baylor get any other "top tier" coach.
There will be plenty of coaches interested in taking that job.