Tulane Students Embarrass/Cowen's Legacy

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

This is absurd on so many levels. But it's hard not to draw a correlation between this gross sense of entitlement and lack of perspective with the similar qualities that marked everything Scott Cowen stood for as President.

http://www.ibtimes.com/graduation-2016- ... ve-2338264

Not a proud day, Greenies.

JerseyWave
Riptide

The Tulane class of 2016 has certainly embarrassed my alma mater. There's nothing wrong with having Hoda Kotb and I am sure she will give a tremendous Commencement address. I can't stand this generation's sense of entitlement, "We deserve better." It's disgusting and concerns me about the future of this country.

My Tulane Commencement speaker was Tulane alumnus, Bruce Paltrow. I had never heard of him at the time. They told us he was a Hollywood producer and friend of another Tulane alum, Paul Michael Glaser of Starsky and Hutch fame. I wasn't disappointed and Bruce Paltrow delivered a very memorable speech to my class. A couple of years later, his daughter, Gwyneth Paltrow became a Hollywood Superstar.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Although embarrassing, I find it more a reflection on this generation of graduates than on any specific University. As embarrassed as we are now, they'll eventually be more embarrassed if/when they realize how ridiculous this is.

Maybe the school should cancel Hoda and get someone with less profile. At least give them something legit to bitch about.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
green4life
Low Tide

...as a 1980 Grad...I can't exactly recall who was our Graduation Speaker. Might have been J Bennett Johnston or John Bookout of Shell Oil.

But I DO Remember Edwin Edwards Speaking to our High School (Father Son Banquet). It's Ok I missed Ellen I, Ellen II was a little better. Steve Harvey would be a good speaker, although not a pure academic. One of my son's had An astronaut, who was a better astronaut than speaker. Another one had Joe Biden. He could really talk. I'd take Walter Isaacson in a heartbeat.
Fan since 1965 and was at the 14-0 Victory over LSU. It can be done.
Bearwave
High Tide

Kids today think the world owes them and they are smarter than everyone. Give them that jackass Mitch Landrieu as their speaker.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
RobertM320
Green Wave

green4life, I was a 1980 grad as well, BS in Management, and I don't remember who our speaker was either.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
green4life
Low Tide

I didn't realize that you were TU undergrad. I thought you were TU grad school. You overcame your HS education well. Must have been that 5-8th grade we shared. :)
RobertM320
Green Wave

green4life wrote:I didn't realize that you were TU undergrad. I thought you were TU grad school. You overcame your HS education well. Must have been that 5-8th grade we shared. :)
CBS?
green4life
Low Tide

Indeed. You could say i stood out in the photos, especially if they were color photos.
RobertM320
Green Wave

LOL, green4life. I see your posts all the time on FB and didn't realize you were posting here as well. :) Loved those old photos you posted recently. Thought I saw my mom in one of the graduation photos but I'm not sure.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bearwave wrote:Kids today think the world owes them and they are smarter than everyone. Give them that jackass Mitch Landrieu as their speaker.

I agree, they are suffering from two terminal illness'..."Entitlement and Affulenza"... hell, give them Susan Guidry, a real friend of Tulane !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

Give them Landrieu and then have him removed from the podium.
JDTulane
Riptide

Don't think it's fair to make this a generational condemnation or lump all the class together. For as many students protesting about 3-4x as many rolled their eyes and said stfu.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

JDTulane wrote:Don't think it's fair to make this a generational condemnation or lump all the class together. For as many students protesting about 3-4x as many rolled their eyes and said stfu.
Nothing is worse then the "in my day" people. Times change, some for the worse but most for the better......at least in the US.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
JDTulane wrote:Don't think it's fair to make this a generational condemnation or lump all the class together. For as many students protesting about 3-4x as many rolled their eyes and said stfu.
Nothing is worse then the "in my day" people. Times change, some for the worse but most for the better......at least in the US.
I don't know many people who don't believe that the generalizations about millenials, for better or worse, aren't very true. This is especially with regards to entitlement, which was the cause of this situation.