Baby Cakes Field for Football

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed Daniels tonight reporting that starting this fall Zephyr Field will be converted to host big high school football marquee games. Congrats for the Z's ownership for doing this. They also plan to begin hosting big concerts. Shame on Tulane for missing the boat with Yulman.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Ed Daniels tonight reporting that starting this fall Zephyr Field will be converted to host big high school football marquee games. Congrats for the Z's ownership for doing this. They also plan to begin hosting big concerts. Shame on Tulane for missing the boat with Yulman.
I wonder if the NIMBY's on Airline Drive ( not hwy, 'drive' sounds classier) had a voice in this decision ?!?!?!?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Ed Daniels tonight reporting that starting this fall Zephyr Field will be converted to host big high school football marquee games. Congrats for the Z's ownership for doing this. They also plan to begin hosting big concerts. Shame on Tulane for missing the boat with Yulman.
I wonder if the NIMBY's on Airline Drive ( not hwy, 'drive' sounds classier) had a voice in this decision ?!?!?!?
The only NIMBY would be the Saints and Benson. It's all commercial property with a railroad running behind it. The Z's are under new ownership and have plans for using the ballpark for more than baseball.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

I wouldn't be surprised if this is also the direct result of lack of attendance the past few years. Attendance has been down to right around or under 5000. When they first moved to Metairie, average attendance was in the 7500 range. Not sure if its due to more demand on the entertainment dollar, or bad teams and bad affiliation. I know it was a plus when they were affiliated with the Astros.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
The only NIMBY would be the Saints and Benson. It's all commercial property with a railroad running behind it. The Z's are under new ownership and have plans for using the ballpark for more than baseball.
I pretty much know what is located on the property, our Distribution facility is not located too far away...Benson and the Saints need to be reeled in, they have way too much influence, the NIMBY's I were referring to was the cemetery located close by !!!...question...is there a petition to rename Airline Drive...Jimmy Swaggart Way
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
I pretty much know what is located on the property, our Distribution facility is not located too far away...Benson and the Saints need to be reeled in, they have way too much influence, the NIMBY's I were referring to was the cemetery located close by !!!...question...is there a petition to rename Airline Drive...Jimmy Swaggart Way
Ok. ;) next time so we'll know.
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

The only thing preventing Tulane from making better use of Yulman Stadium was Rick Dickson. Lets give Dannen and Fritz the opportunity to use Yulman to their advantage.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
for a person who still owes the State of Louisiana about 30 million dollars ole Tom and his dumb azz cronies and family have way too much clout
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just announced that they are going to offer huge money to host the SEC baseball tourney next year. Hoover contract ends this year.
La lawmakers involved. Lol big budget deficit no problem.
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/ ... ent-with-/
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Just announced that they are going to offer huge money to host the SEC baseball tourney next year. Hoover contract ends this year.
La lawmakers involved. Lol big budget deficit no problem.
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/ ... ent-with-/
I am sure money will not be an issue, after the lawsuits Ole Tom will donate 5 mill.. then we will have Benson Field @ Zephyr Stadium with a pic of CJ painting a coconut on the outfield wall, with a caption "Hit it Here"....
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

8 prep football games to be played this fall including Brother Martin vs John Curtis on Sept 23rd. Just announced yesterday.
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

The games will have the "throw back" feeling Part of the field on grass and part on the infield dirt.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:The games will have the "throw back" feeling Part of the field on grass and part on the infield dirt.
Should be interesting on how they lay it out. I'd like to go to one of those just to see.
Tulane Class of 1981
OGSB
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:The games will have the "throw back" feeling Part of the field on grass and part on the infield dirt.
Should be interesting on how they lay it out. I'd like to go to one of those just to see.
Curious too to see how they lay it out.
Livin' rent free
nawlinspete
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:
Ridiculous. How did Alabama, Auburn, Michigan, The Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, Clemson, Florida State, Southern Cal and Stanford not miss the boat without allowing high school games on their home fields ?

Stupid comment.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DrBox
Riptide

What exactly are we missing by not playing high school football games at Yulman?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
What exactly are we missing by not playing high school football games at Yulman?
Per the coaches it's an easy way of getting recruits and families on campus without a official visit. Fritz and Dannen want games there so it won't be long. High school games at Tulane Stadium were the norm for years. Then the Dome.
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Zephyr fields is 330 down the lines
Football field is 360 from back of end zone to back of end zone
They will have to run the field diagonally from left field to right field
May have both benches on the home plate side
Probably not the best way to watch a football game
Playing at Yulman Stadium makes more sense
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Zephyr fields is 330 down the lines
Football field is 360 from back of end zone to back of end zone
They will have to run the field diagonally from left field to right field
May have both benches on the home plate side
Probably not the best way to watch a football game
Playing at Yulman Stadium makes more sense
+1
Some good games scheduled there including Jesuit vs the Swilling Brothers.
http://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf/20 ... ne_article
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

If we have wiggle room in our agreement with the NIMBY's, TD and Fritz will make it happen. If not, then I'm confident that a new agreement will be forged. Look how Coach Fritz brought on the local High School Coaches to be a part of his clinic 2 weeks ago. They realize the importance of exposure. It will happen, maybe not this year, but soon. We do a great job with the Baseball Playoffs.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:If we have wiggle room in our agreement with the NIMBY's, TD and Fritz will make it happen. If not, then I'm confident that a new agreement will be forged. Look how Coach Fritz brought on the local High School Coaches to be a part of his clinic 2 weeks ago. They realize the importance of exposure. It will happen, maybe not this year, but soon. We do a great job with the Baseball Playoffs.
Good points! Many of those coaches in attendance expressed a great interest in playing a game at Yulman. The coaches clinic was a huge success. JT Curtis has wanted to play a game there since day one. We now have an AD in charge that can get things done so I would expect to see some games there as well.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

NUKE the NIMBYS...or just have a moving van with a complete crew arrive and starting moving them out
DrBox
Riptide

If it were that advantageous, other college programs would have regular high school games on their campus. they don't.

It would also be a poor use of any leverage we have with NIMBYs.
chain gang x man
Swell

It makes perfect sense for JT Curtis to want to play at Yulman
Maybe 20 minute ride down Jefferson Hwy and you play in a real stadium not a playground field
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:If it were that advantageous, other college programs would have regular high school games on their campus. they don't.

It would also be a poor use of any leverage we have with NIMBYs.
If our coaches see it as important to bring HS coaches and players to Yulman then I'm for it. Nothing to do with NIMBY leverage. The deal cut already allows HS games on campus when Tulane is off or out of town. Like I said previously Tulane stadium was used by high schools every Friday night for years. The last game played in Tulane stadium was a high school game. We are trying to build young fan base so getting HS student athletes and their families on our campus is a good thing.
Tulane Class of 1981