The SKY is FALLING

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
JTLiuzza
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
CN Hide & Seek Team wrote:This governor is high comedy. He's threatening the state legislature( and college football fans) with high explosives and trying to blame Jindal. Louisiana's credit rating was upgraded twice under Jindal, from A+ to AA.
Defending Jindal is high comedy. Talk about political bias.
Pot, meet kettle.

The second commandment has not been abrogated.
JTLiuzza
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Can we at least agree to call Bobby by his real name Piyush?
Funny. You don't even have the guts to spew on the internet without a pseudonym. Got something against people with Indian heritage, puddle? No wonder I come to this board maybe once a month.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

JTLiuzza wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Can we at least agree to call Bobby by his real name Piyush?
Funny. You don't even have the guts to spew on the internet without a pseudonym. Got something against people with Indian heritage, puddle? No wonder I come to this board maybe once a month.
And how is that racist to call him by his real name? So Hillary Clinton was making a racial remark when she referred to Bobby as Piyush? Please elaborate if I'm missing something here.
Robert1969
Riptide

JTLiuzza wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:So let me ask you this, how did we get to the point of a $960 million budget shortfall? It certainly wasn't Edward's doing since he just got into office... Piyush supporters just ignore the fact that this mess wasn't just created yesterday.

Anyways, back to the point of LSU facing possible shutdown. As a TU alumni, :mrgreen: sums up how I feel about this. As a Louisiana citizen and native, I feel :? for the fact that TOPS might be canned and future generations down here will have a tough time getting a college education.
Piyush? You making fun of the man's Indian heritage? Doesn't that make you a raaaaaaacissst?

And the word is 'anyway' not 'anyways'.
That's his name. The person who is trying to hide his Indian heritage with a phony name is the one who is making a mockery of said heritage.
Robert1969
Riptide

CN Hide & Seek Team wrote:This governor is high comedy. He's threatening the state legislature( and college football fans) with high explosives and trying to blame Jindal. Louisiana's credit rating was upgraded twice under Jindal, from A+ to AA.
Riiiiiight, because a man who has been in office for a blink of an eye is the real culprit behind the state's fiscal mess. He's probably Nicole Brown Simpson's real killer too.

The fact, the undisputable fact, about the state's fiscal mess is that Piyush "Bobby" Jindal created it. Period. As for the rating agencies, let's do remember that they are the same ones that gave great ratings to Mortgage Backed Securities in the run-up to the financial crisis. Bobby Jindal played games with the state's finances because his tax giveaways didn't work to increase tax receipts like he and his supply-side buddies like Grover Norquist promised. Eliminating the revenue generating side of the voter-approved Stelly Plan didn't work to increase tax giveaways. And he could not cut his way out of it either.

But, by all means, blame the guy who hasn't even signed a budget yet for the state's budgetary problems.
Robert1969
Riptide

Having said what I have, Edwards did oversell the state's financial crisis by bringing LSU football in this. It may be technically true that if we don't fund LSU, there will be no LSU football, but he looked desperate saying it. He had a damned good case for why his budget should be accepted. There is enough scary stuff that will happen in Louisiana without a properly funded budget without bringing up something like that. Should have stuck with the fundamnetals.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote:Having said what I have, Edwards did oversell the state's financial crisis by bringing LSU football in this. It may be technically true that if we don't fund LSU, there will be no LSU football, but he looked desperate saying it. He had a damned good case for why his budget should be accepted. There is enough scary stuff that will happen in Louisiana without a properly funded budget without bringing up something like that. Should have stuck with the fundamnetals.
Edwards is now being laughed at nationwide for that dumb statement. I heard a radio show yesterday saying if they shut down the university they'd still play on Saturday's since going to class doesn't matter if you play football at LSU. Lol.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

JTLiuzza wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Defending Jindal is high comedy. Talk about political bias.
Pot, meet kettle.
Um, i (unfortunately) voted for him and did not vote for our current govenor.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Li'l Bobby had a tuff act to follow... Kathy Blank-oh .... maybe Louisiana needs to have a "Parish Rights" section on the ballot, when no one running for state office is good enuff to be elected
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wavetime
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:Having said what I have, Edwards did oversell the state's financial crisis by bringing LSU football in this. It may be technically true that if we don't fund LSU, there will be no LSU football, but he looked desperate saying it. He had a damned good case for why his budget should be accepted. There is enough scary stuff that will happen in Louisiana without a properly funded budget without bringing up something like that. Should have stuck with the fundamnetals.

He wants to raise taxes,,,,period!!! Didn't take him long to show his colors. A funny read.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/ ... iver_index
Robert1969
Riptide

Blanco left office with a 3.9% unemployment rate, Louisiana's per capita income ranking soaring, and a $1b surplus. Not bad for a crappy governor.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Bobby Jindal was a disaster as Governor. The needs of the state fell second to his foolhardy Presidential aspirations.

Still, even though I loathe him, I think it's rude to call him by anything other than Bobby.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Robert1969 wrote:Blanco left office with a 3.9% unemployment rate, Louisiana's per capita income ranking soaring, and a $1b surplus. Not bad for a crappy governor.
was low unemployment the result of the citizens having to relocated because of Katrina and anyone drawing a breath could have a job ?....money in the bank because of FEMA ?.... My company has a large distribution facility in Louisiana, and all Management did was complain about Kathy and her team... I watch/worked with Kathy's office during Katrina, she seemed lost and unable to make an executive, decisive decision. My company worked with the State Government to aid in recovery efforts, The Guv's office and team were a total mess, we finally just did what we wanted and not even consult her or anyone in Baton Rouge....after the experience of working with State and Local Government agencies, my company wanted to close the Louisiana distribution facility, but the Distribution Center's General Manger and several hourly wage employees came to Houston and made an impassioned plea and that plan was not executed. That said, let's put an end to the TOPS issue and allow the tax's to fall where they may, and hope that all sports for the State's Flagship Public University will survive !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:
JTLiuzza wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:So let me ask you this, how did we get to the point of a $960 million budget shortfall? It certainly wasn't Edward's doing since he just got into office... Piyush supporters just ignore the fact that this mess wasn't just created yesterday.

Anyways, back to the point of LSU facing possible shutdown. As a TU alumni, :mrgreen: sums up how I feel about this. As a Louisiana citizen and native, I feel :? for the fact that TOPS might be canned and future generations down here will have a tough time getting a college education.
Piyush? You making fun of the man's Indian heritage? Doesn't that make you a raaaaaaacissst?

And the word is 'anyway' not 'anyways'.
That's his name. The person who is trying to hide his Indian heritage with a phony name is the one who is making a mockery of said heritage.
Exactly. Well said and thank you.
puffy
Surge

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
So let me ask you this, how did we get to the point of a $960 million budget shortfall? It certainly wasn't Edward's doing since he just got into office... Piyush supporters just ignore the fact that this mess wasn't just created yesterday.
Genuine question here: many times when I've read comments on local news articles regarding Jindal, his name Piyush is what ppl critical of the former governor frequently refer to him by. Is the use of his Indian name by these commenters suppose to be a negative way to address him, or to further belittle him by emphasizing his ethnic background?
Robert1969
Riptide

puffy wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
So let me ask you this, how did we get to the point of a $960 million budget shortfall? It certainly wasn't Edward's doing since he just got into office... Piyush supporters just ignore the fact that this mess wasn't just created yesterday.
Genuine question here: many times when I've read comments on local news articles regarding Jindal, his name Piyush is what ppl critical of the former governor frequently refer to him by. Is the use of his Indian name by these commenters suppose to be a negative way to address him, or to further belittle him by emphasizing his ethnic background?
Quite the opposite. It is a way to belittle him for his self-loathing rejection of his own ethnicity that he made up a name for himself. His name is not Bobby. It is not his legal name. He rejects his real name, and his ethnicity. Bringing up Piyush isn't about mocking his ethnicity but his self-hatred. He doesn't become less brown-skinned because he gives himself a fake non-legal anglo name. But it is so clear that he is running from it. It is sad really.
OGSB
Swell

puffy wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
You have to understand the rules.
Livin' rent free
Wavetime
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:Blanco left office with a 3.9% unemployment rate, Louisiana's per capita income ranking soaring, and a $1b surplus. Not bad for a crappy governor.
was low unemployment the result of the citizens having to relocated because of Katrina and anyone drawing a breath could have a job ?....money in the bank because of FEMA ?.... My company has a large distribution facility in Louisiana, and all Management did was complain about Kathy and her team... I watch/worked with Kathy's office during Katrina, she seemed lost and unable to make an executive, decisive decision. My company worked with the State Government to aid in recovery efforts, The Guv's office and team were a total mess, we finally just did what we wanted and not even consult her or anyone in Baton Rouge....after the experience of working with State and Local Government agencies, my company wanted to close the Louisiana distribution facility, but the Distribution Center's General Manger and several hourly wage employees came to Houston and made an impassioned plea and that plan was not executed. That said, let's put an end to the TOPS issue and allow the tax's to fall where they may, and hope that all sports for the State's Flagship Public University will survive !!!
Strange time Golfnut!! Very strange time indeed.....
GreenLantern
Riptide

Concerning Bobby Jindal:
Mr. Jindal has said that he would like to be recognized as American and not associated with his Indian heritage. Many immigrants and their children have 'Americanized' their names to become part of mainstream culture. I admire that. If he wishes to be called 'Bobby', I think you need to question why you enjoy referring to him as 'Piyush'. I can't speak for the reason you are doing this, but others have used the name as a disparaging way to label the man as having ethnicity different than their own or 'what is preferable'. That reeks of ugliness.

Now...you want to call him bone-headed, bungling, mis-managing, prodigal and a failed leader....well, you'll get no argument from me. I'll even buy you a beer for being a like-minded fellow.

Concerning Mr. Edwards:
It seems that many of the folks that like to label Democrats as government-loving, improvident, money-spenders are the same ones that are on Edwards' case for demanding austerity now that Mr. Jindal has left us with a billion dollar deficit. Edwards is going to be forced to make unpleasant choices. If he's successful at rescuing the Louisiana budget from Mr. Jindal's politically self-serving mismanagement, he will be forced to sacrifice his political future. He will be forever labeled as 'that politician that loves to tax away our hard-earned money.' He will become the most hated man in all Republican circles (and many Democratic ones). You would have to be a true public servant to wish to clean up this mess.

But on the other hand...I think Mr. Edwards went a little over the top with his 'no football this fall at LSU'. I'm sure he was looking for maximum shock value, but there's no way he could have believed that such a drastic measure was a possibility. Cut back the charity hospital systems? Sure. Layoff public school teachers and slash their retirement benefits? No problem. But end football at LSU? C'mon man!

Edwin Edwards once said that the best way that a politician could end his career was being caught in a motel room with a dead woman or a live boy. I suggest that you add 'ending LSU football' to that list.
ajcalhoun
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:
Concerning Bobby Jindal:
Mr. Jindal has said that he would like to be recognized as American and not associated with his Indian heritage. Many immigrants and their children have 'Americanized' their names to become part of mainstream culture. I admire that. If he wishes to be called 'Bobby', I think you need to question why you enjoy referring to him as 'Piyush'. I can't speak for the reason you are doing this, but others have used the name as a disparaging way to label the man as having ethnicity different than their own or 'what is preferable'. That reeks of ugliness.

Now...you want to call him bone-headed, bungling, mis-managing, prodigal and a failed leader....well, you'll get no argument from me. I'll even buy you a beer for being a like-minded fellow.
My feelings exactly.

GreenLantern wrote: Concerning Mr. Edwards:
It seems that many of the folks that like to label Democrats as government-loving, improvident, money-spenders are the same ones that are on Edwards' case for demanding austerity now that Mr. Jindal has left us with a billion dollar deficit. Edwards is going to be forced to make unpleasant choices. If he's successful at rescuing the Louisiana budget from Mr. Jindal's politically self-serving mismanagement, he will be forced to sacrifice his political future. He will be forever labeled as 'that politician that loves to tax away our hard-earned money.' He will become the most hated man in all Republican circles (and many Democratic ones). You would have to be a true public servant to wish to clean up this mess.

But on the other hand...I think Mr. Edwards went a little over the top with his 'no football this fall at LSU'. I'm sure he was looking for maximum shock value, but there's no way he could have believed that such a drastic measure was a possibility. Cut back the charity hospital systems? Sure. Layoff public school teachers and slash their retirement benefits? No problem. But end football at LSU? C'mon man!

Edwin Edwards once said that the best way that a politician could end his career was being caught in a motel room with a dead woman or a live boy. I suggest that you add 'ending LSU football' to that list.

Great post! :cheers:
God Bless Everyone!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Except Edwards is only demanding austerity from us, the taxpayers. The state has gone from spending $16B in 2005 to $25B in 2015. That's over 55% increase in spending. During the same time, domestic growth was up 25%. I agree there's going to be some hard choices made, but before we start raising taxes, I want to see the state and the politicians be willing to make some sacrifices first.

Also, the state government, all of them, are responsible for not taking advantage of the high price of oil. Here's the average cost per barrel of oil, by year, for the last 10 years.

2005 $50.04
2006 $58.30
2007 $64.20
2008 $91.48
2009 $53.48
2010 $71.21
2011 $87.04
2012 $86.46
2013 $91.17
2014 $85.60

So, when Jindal took office in early 2008, the price was probably somewhere around $75/barrel. For 7 years, they estimated their revenue based on historic highs, AND SPENT EVERY DOLLAR IN REVENUE they had. If 2015 had continued at the same average of $85 a barrel, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But instead, its plummeted, and has thrown the estimates completely out the window. Did anyone pay attention to what the price of oil was this past week? Around $27 a barrel. Thats a 70% drop in revenue from oil.

Imagine you buy a house with a $2000/mth note, a car with an $800/mth note, and a boat and maybe even a summer home because you make $120K a year. Two years into the mortgage, your paycheck drops to $36K/year. Guess what? You're going to have to give up the car, or the house, or the vacation trips or something, because you can't continue to pay all those notes. Or, you'll have to get a different job to get more income. The state needs to do the same. The only difference is, you get to decide how much you pain (second job) you're willing to absorb to have what you want. Here, the state still wants all their toys and they want US to work the second job to pay for it.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

And as an aside, even in JUNE of 2015, it was still $59 a barrel. That's a huge drop in revenue the last six months.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

He heard the sky was falling. Lol
3 star Evangel WR de-commits from Louisiana Tech citing 'recent political events'
http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... obile_home
"Political events for me means the future is uncertain for state-funded universities," he wrote. "I want to further my education and while I'm doing that, I hope to play football. Being blessed with a scholarship means the world to me, because I get to do both and it takes some of the strain off my family. I am grateful to God, my Evangel coaches and teammates and to Louisiana Tech for taking a chance on me and giving me an offer."
Tulane Class of 1981
puffy
Surge

tpstulane wrote:He heard the sky was falling. Lol
3 star Evangel WR de-commits from Louisiana Tech citing 'recent political events'
"Political events for me means the future is uncertain for state-funded universities," he wrote. "I want to further my education and while I'm doing that, I hope to play football. Being blessed with a scholarship means the world to me, because I get to do both and it takes some of the strain off my family. I am grateful to God, my Evangel coaches and teammates and to Louisiana Tech for taking a chance on me and giving me an offer."
But he'll commit to LSU tomorrow if they offer :lol:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

puffy wrote:
tpstulane wrote:He heard the sky was falling. Lol
But he'll commit to LSU tomorrow if they offer :lol:
Good one!!! Lol
Tulane Class of 1981