The SKY is FALLING

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The GULF is RISING....The RIVER is DIRTY....The LAKE HAS SALT WATER IN IT !!!!...but the end of LSU Football as we Know it, is closer than we all realize

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... rt_m-rpt-1

I am sure SNL can't wait to showcase ole John Bel

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:The GULF is RISING....The RIVER is DIRTY....The LAKE HAS SALT WATER IN IT !!!!...but the end of LSU Football as we Know it, is closer than we all realize

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... rt_m-rpt-1

I am sure SNL can't wait to showcase ole John Bel
Not going to class won't have an effect on LSU football lol.
LSU's new $85 million dollar student rec center Lazy River should occupy their time.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/17/ls ... -woes.html
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

but wait...there is more

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/ ... t-comments

The TRUTH will soon emerge from the shadows...Harvey Updike was in charge of John Bels campaign finances and Nick Saban was a big contributor !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

However, it is a damning indictment on the state of college football today. Possibly closing health facilities or raising taxes isn't enough to get the citizens to worry, but threaten LSU football? OH MY GOD! NOOO!!!
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

This governor is high comedy. He's threatening the state legislature( and college football fans) with high explosives and trying to blame Jindal. Louisiana's credit rating was upgraded twice under Jindal, from A+ to AA.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

CN Hide & Seek Team wrote:This governor is high comedy. He's threatening the state legislature( and college football fans) with high explosives and trying to blame Jindal. Louisiana's credit rating was upgraded twice under Jindal, from A+ to AA.
I would think some of the revenue issues, are the low cost for a barrel of oil, but I am in Texas in the heart of the "Tech Corridor" and the only cost I care about is what 93 octane sells for
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

CN Hide & Seek Team wrote:This governor is high comedy. He's threatening the state legislature( and college football fans) with high explosives and trying to blame Jindal. Louisiana's credit rating was upgraded twice under Jindal, from A+ to AA.
So let me ask you this, how did we get to the point of a $960 million budget shortfall? It certainly wasn't Edward's doing since he just got into office... Piyush supporters just ignore the fact that this mess wasn't just created yesterday.

Anyways, back to the point of LSU facing possible shutdown. As a TU alumni, :mrgreen: sums up how I feel about this. As a Louisiana citizen and native, I feel :? for the fact that TOPS might be canned and future generations down here will have a tough time getting a college education.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
So let me ask you this, how did we get to the point of a $960 million budget shortfall? It certainly wasn't Edward's doing since he just got into office... Piyush supporters just ignore the fact that this mess wasn't just created yesterday.

Anyways, back to the point of LSU facing possible shutdown. As a TU alumni, :mrgreen: sums up how I feel about this. As a Louisiana citizen and native, I feel :? for the fact that TOPS might be canned and future generations down here will have a tough time getting a college education.
Wrong answer. It is easier and cheaper than ever to get a better "college education". Anyone with an internet connection can take college courses at Harvard, Stanford etc for free or very little.

No idea how and when the economics shake out but maybe its the public schools that lose, not the expensive private schools like Tulane.

I'd be willing to bet that both the educational and college athletics landscapes look very different in 10 years.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:

They created this joke by dumbing down the standards for TOPS, anyone with a pulse can get in the program which doesn't create an environment to push kids to strive to be great.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

That was the point I was making is that TOPS will have little to no effect at TU since we are a private college and not a public one. That's why I had the green smiley face.

The idea of TOPS was to make higher education in Louisiana more accessible and so it certainly does have benefits for a lot of students in Louisiana. As for it being cheaper and easier to get a college education through the internet, you forget that a lot of these students don't even have access to the internet at all and then the next problem is if you are taking these classes on the internet, explain that to a potential employer. Those "free" internet classes don't give you a degree so how you going to sell that to a potential employer?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:That was the point I was making is that TOPS will have little to no effect at TU since we are a private college and not a public one. That's why I had the green smiley face.

The idea of TOPS was to make higher education in Louisiana more accessible and so it certainly does have benefits for a lot of students in Louisiana. As for it being cheaper and easier to get a college education through the internet, you forget that a lot of these students don't even have access to the internet at all and then the next problem is if you are taking these classes on the internet, explain that to a potential employer. Those "free" internet classes don't give you a degree so how you going to sell that to a potential employer?
Please correct me if I am wrong...but I thought Louisiana kids could use TOPS money at Tulane... I was also under the impression there were accredited colleges / universities that offered "On Line Degrees"...
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Defending Jindal is high comedy. Talk about political bias.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TOPS was a bluff. Nothing more than political grandstanding. Already restored for this semester today.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:but wait...there is more

The TRUTH will soon emerge from the shadows...Harvey Updike was in charge of John Bels campaign finances and Nick Saban was a big contributor !!!!
Your boy, Bobby Jindal, inherited a billion dollar surplus and left office with a two billion dollar deficit. It might be a bit disingenuous to blame too much on Edwards. That said, inheriting the mess he has to clean up, I can't imagine that his political career won't be doomed.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:but wait...there is more

Your boy, Bobby Jindal, inherited a billion dollar surplus and left office with a two billion dollar deficit. It might be a bit disingenuous to blame too much on Edwards. That said, inheriting the mess he has to clean up, I can't imagine that his political career won't be doomed.

my boy Bobby Jindal ?!?!?.... I have nothing to do with Louisiana politics....do you know who Harvey Updike is and have you ever heard of Nick Saban ?
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Can we at least agree to call Bobby by his real name Piyush?
ajcalhoun
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote: Wrong answer. It is easier and cheaper than ever to get a better "college education". Anyone with an internet connection can take college courses at Harvard, Stanford etc for free or very little.

No idea how and when the economics shake out but maybe its the public schools that lose, not the expensive private schools like Tulane.

I'd be willing to bet that both the educational and college athletics landscapes look very different in 10 years.

I'm curious as to how the two sentences in large font coincide.
God Bless Everyone!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: Wrong answer. It is easier and cheaper than ever to get a better "college education". Anyone with an internet connection can take college courses at Harvard, Stanford etc for free or very little.

I'm curious as to how the two sentences in large font coincide.
Well it's why I've been concerned about Tulane's viability for some time. But maybe the way it works out is that state budgets will be forced to cut things that consumers can get for (near) free, while there will still be enough consumers who want to pay for a 4-year party experience (education).

One way or another, the current cost structure in higher ed is not sustainable.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

fear not... LSU football and other sports will survive...at least for a year...

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... rt_m-rpt-2
DrBox
Riptide

?? Do you seriously argue that this deficit mess occurred during the month that Edwards has been in office?
Jindal inherited a billion in surplus and turned it into a billion in deficit due to HIS policies. He had a compliant legislature the entire way.
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:my boy Bobby Jindal ?!?!?.... I have nothing to do with Louisiana politics....do you know who Harvey Updike is and have you ever heard of Nick Saban ?
Sorry...I fat-fingered the wrong post when I was replying with my snarky remark. Let me try again:

To which I replied:
GreenLantern wrote: Your boy, Bobby Jindal, inherited a billion dollar surplus and left office with a two billion dollar deficit. It might be a bit disingenuous to blame too much on Edwards. That said, inheriting the mess he has to clean up, I can't imagine that his political career won't be doomed.
And to golfnut, who is this Saban person? Isn't he a basketball coach somewhere? And the Updike guy. Of course I know who he is. Every Tulane grad has read the "Rabbit" series (Rabbit Run, Rabbit at Rest, Rabbit is Rich).

BTW, golf, I think you meant Harvey Updyke.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:my boy Bobby Jindal ?!?!?.... I have nothing to do with Louisiana politics....do you know who Harvey Updike is and have you ever heard of Nick Saban ?
Sorry...I fat-fingered the wrong post when I was replying with my snarky remark. Let me try again:

To which I replied:
GreenLantern wrote: Your boy, Bobby Jindal, inherited a billion dollar surplus and left office with a two billion dollar deficit. It might be a bit disingenuous to blame too much on Edwards. That said, inheriting the mess he has to clean up, I can't imagine that his political career won't be doomed.
And to golfnut, who is this Saban person? Isn't he a basketball coach somewhere? And the Updike guy. Of course I know who he is. Every Tulane grad has read the "Rabbit" series (Rabbit Run, Rabbit at Rest, Rabbit is Rich).

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:

To which I replied:

whichever dyke/dike is the right dyke/dike is the one I meant.... I think he is an expert in the growth pattern of trees...whichever dyke/dike it is
JTLiuzza
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:So let me ask you this, how did we get to the point of a $960 million budget shortfall? It certainly wasn't Edward's doing since he just got into office... Piyush supporters just ignore the fact that this mess wasn't just created yesterday.

Piyush? You making fun of the man's Indian heritage? Doesn't that make you a raaaaaaacissst?

And the word is 'anyway' not 'anyways'.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.