The Ole Ball Coach

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Steve Superior will be retiring .. I look forward to seeing more of Steve on the course next spring ... Steve, c'mon back to the San Diego tournament in May !!!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... s-retiring

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... e-football

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

Well, Memphis certainly isn't going to come after our OC if Fuente takes a new job.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

CN Hide & Seek Team wrote:Well, Memphis certainly isn't going to come after our OC if Fuente takes a new job.
Fuente's will have one hell of an audition when he plays Ole Miss
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aegis
High Tide

Steve please call CJ and give him some advice on why he should also retire after another blowout loss.
IM42lane
Swell

Aegis wrote: Steve please call CJ and give him some advice on why he should also retire after another blowout loss.
The only thing that Spurrier will be concerned about will be his golf handicap. Like him or not, he did survive the rigors of being a big-time HC. You must give him credit for being able to do that.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

This really highlights the difference between winners and losers. Spurrier, is unquestionably a winner. Compare and contrast his quote with, well every single thing Dickson ever utters.
On why he’s stepping down:

“Somehow, we’ve slid, and it’s my fault. I’m responsible. I’m the head coach. It’s time for me to get out of the way and let somebody else have a go at it. I really believe (interim head coach Shawn Elliott) will bring some enthusiasm, energy, passion that our team will accept. I think we’ll all be proud with how the guys play Saturday.”

On why he’s doing this mid-season:

“The part about right now, the president said, ‘Why can’t you go through the end of the year?’ I find that that doesn’t work a lot. If the players know you’re not going to be their coach after such and such time, you just don’t have any accountability. It also gives us a chance to hire an interim head coach and gives him a chance to make his mark in six games. The team needs to hear a new message, a new voice from another coach.”

On recruiting’s role in his decision:

“Yesterday, I was sort of a recruiting liability. It’s hard to recruit if your coach has done it for a long time and at a certain age, the recruits want to know if that guy is going to be around five, 10 years from now. With a new coach here, I think it’s going to pick up recruiting. We’ve got a new message going, and a rebuilding process is in place.”

On when he knew:

“Pretty much Sunday morning. I talked to (athletic director Ray) Tanner Sunday afternoon. Actually, when we were 2-2, I called him up and said, ‘I’m going to try to get through this season, but I sense this is about it for me.’ Central Florida, it was a struggle against those guys, we came in at halftime behind. It was a struggle. I said, ‘I don’t know if I need to continue having these kinds of struggles.’ We talked briefly then and then this past Sunday. When something is inevitable, I believe you do it right then. You don’t wait a week, two weeks. This has to happen. Let’s do it.”

Does he wish he’d retired after last season?

“No, I don’t know I wish that I’d gone through with it. We got re-energized when we won the bowl game. Last year, it was a little more difficult than this year, actually. But there comes a time when you have to say, ‘What direction is our football program going?’ It wasn’t going the way we’d hoped, so I need to step aside.”

Spurrier won’t play a role in finding the next head coach:

“I will have no involvement. That’s not up to the former coach. I just don’t believe it should be. The president, he has a search committee, and we’ll see how Shawn does.”
GreenLantern
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:This really highlights the difference between winners and losers. Spurrier, is unquestionably a winner. Compare and contrast his quote with, well every single thing Dickson ever utters.
On why he’s stepping down:

“Somehow, we’ve slid, and it’s my fault. I’m responsible. I’m the head coach. It’s time for me to get out of the way and let somebody else have a go at it. I really believe (interim head coach Shawn Elliott) will bring some enthusiasm, energy, passion that our team will accept. I think we’ll all be proud with how the guys play Saturday.”

On why he’s doing this mid-season:

“The part about right now, the president said, ‘Why can’t you go through the end of the year?’ I find that that doesn’t work a lot. If the players know you’re not going to be their coach after such and such time, you just don’t have any accountability. It also gives us a chance to hire an interim head coach and gives him a chance to make his mark in six games. The team needs to hear a new message, a new voice from another coach.”

On recruiting’s role in his decision:

“Yesterday, I was sort of a recruiting liability. It’s hard to recruit if your coach has done it for a long time and at a certain age, the recruits want to know if that guy is going to be around five, 10 years from now. With a new coach here, I think it’s going to pick up recruiting. We’ve got a new message going, and a rebuilding process is in place.”

On when he knew:

“Pretty much Sunday morning. I talked to (athletic director Ray) Tanner Sunday afternoon. Actually, when we were 2-2, I called him up and said, ‘I’m going to try to get through this season, but I sense this is about it for me.’ Central Florida, it was a struggle against those guys, we came in at halftime behind. It was a struggle. I said, ‘I don’t know if I need to continue having these kinds of struggles.’ We talked briefly then and then this past Sunday. When something is inevitable, I believe you do it right then. You don’t wait a week, two weeks. This has to happen. Let’s do it.”

Does he wish he’d retired after last season?

“No, I don’t know I wish that I’d gone through with it. We got re-energized when we won the bowl game. Last year, it was a little more difficult than this year, actually. But there comes a time when you have to say, ‘What direction is our football program going?’ It wasn’t going the way we’d hoped, so I need to step aside.”

Spurrier won’t play a role in finding the next head coach:

“I will have no involvement. That’s not up to the former coach. I just don’t believe it should be. The president, he has a search committee, and we’ll see how Shawn does.”
Every statement from Spurrier's quote...moreover, his entire philosophy is the antithesis of what is embraced by Rick Dickson.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981