Tulane has a 15m to 20m a year deficit and Cowen covered up

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Jonathan
Riptide

This is shocking. Cut expenses now.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:This is shocking. Cut expenses now.
Tulane can start, by cutting SC's salary !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

You do realize that the board knew this all along? I'm starting to believe that the board is the problem and not Scott or Rick specifically. I mean geez, look at how far the Freeman school has fallen (re: acceptance rate and lack of offerings), look at the cutting of engineering, look at the cuts to the med school after Katrina, look at the lack of athletic funding, look at the stagnant law school, look at the yearly deficit, look at delgado's nursing school - why can't we acquire that?, look at UNO's tourisim program - why can't we acquire that?, why can't we build a downtown campus that includes the law/medical/public health/graduate business schools on one campus, why can't we build a larger athletics facility for students?

Look at Carnegie Mellon for an idea of what Tulane should be - similar endowment and enrollment. Carnegie Mellon is outstanding in almost every area but Tulane is struggling in most areas.
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

The Board IS, WAS, and SHALL be the problem with Tulane. It is an insular self-perpetuating club. The alumni only elect one temporary member out of thirty. That is why there are always so many non-Tulanians on it. That is why it is a comedy of errors.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I could have invested just $200MM of the endowment and ran it up to $750MM this past year. Tulane is completely mismanaged from top to bottom.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:I could have invested just $200MM of the endowment and ran it up to $750MM this past year. Tulane is completely mismanaged from top to bottom.
Doing what, I am curious.
JDTulane
Riptide

It's a terrible situation and the board should be mortified. Sadly where's the accountability?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I could have invested just $200MM of the endowment and ran it up to $750MM this past year. Tulane is completely mismanaged from top to bottom.
AAPL, NFLX, BWW, ISRG, CMG, PCLN, AMGN, AMBA, CELG, VIPS, HD, LNKD, ICPT , TSLA to name just a few.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
AAPL, NFLX, BWW, ISRG, CMG, PCLN, AMGN, AMBA, CELG, VIPS, HD, LNKD, ICPT , TSLA to name just a few.
Gawd almighty... I had only heard of "AFLAC' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TPS... I take it you are not the "Disc Jockey" guy pretending to be an investment guru in the commercials on TV....correct ?!?!?...but then again, he most probably could have done better than the Tulane Board when it came to investments !!!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
TPS... I take it you are not the "Disc Jockey" guy pretending to be an investment guru in the commercials on TV....correct ?!?!?...but then again, he most probably could have done better than the Tulane Board when it came to investments !!!!
I actually made a TV commercial back in the day for a day trading firm. We shot it at Archie Mannings house and Archie was in it with me. I have it on VHS I'm going to have to transfer it and upload it to YouTube now that I'm thinking about it.
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

Hugh Long, chair of the University Senate budget review committee, said the total accumulated deficit is unknown due to uncertainty following Hurricane Katrina. Tulane did not keep track of finances immediately following Katrina.

:shock:
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:Hugh Long, chair of the University Senate budget review committee, said the total accumulated deficit is unknown due to uncertainty following Hurricane Katrina. Tulane did not keep track of finances immediately following Katrina.

Troll, you will get yours this weekend at the hands of the Alabama Crimson Tide!!! :lol:
Wave755
Tsunami

And, some of you said Fitts would be a "Puppet of Cowen" ? Just as Cowen aired "dirty linen" on Kelly, Fitts now does the same for Cowen. In its long history no Tulane president has ever been the "puppet" of another, Fitts will be no exception to this rule. So much for anymore "Cowen parades." :x
Bigschtick
Riptide

Cowen, Board etc, they are all responsible. This is a total disgrace.
Think there is any chance of things changing? Think again. Our university
is becoming a sad joke academically and athletically. Think the average Student
or alum knows or cares? Think again. This university has given few of us any reason
to care or be proud of what was once a truly great university.

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
MicMan
Swell

Tulane University -- eager to be in D1 athletics, just not very good at it.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote:And, some of you said Fitts would be a "Puppet of Cowen" ? Just as Cowen aired "dirty linen" on Kelly, Fitts now does the same for Cowen. In its long history no Tulane president has ever been the "puppet" of another, Fitts will be no exception to this rule. So much for anymore "Cowen parades." :x
Not exactly. Fitts is definitely "playing along" with the status quo, but he's not an awful person like Cowen. Fitts knows that perpetual $15M-$20M deficits are not something you can hide either ethically or morally. Cowen on the other hand....

Although not sure what you are talking about regarding the Cowen parades. It's still Scott Cowen circle and he's still being paid handsomely by the university (and I'd be very curious to see whether Cowen or Fitts currently has the higher compensation). There's no greater parade then a "sabbatical" at ~$1M/year.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Bigschtick wrote:Cowen, Board etc, they are all responsible. This is a total disgrace.
Think there is any chance of things changing? Think again. Our university
is becoming a sad joke academically and athletically. Think the average Student
or alum knows or cares? Think again. This university has given few of us any reason
to care or be proud of what was once a truly great university.
The university has already become a sad joke both athletically and academically, and there are crooks who have made themselves wealthy in the process at the expense of Tulane University. For some reason, alumni continue to not only allow this to happen, but refuse to speak up against this travesty.
Bigschtick
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
Tulane can start, by cutting SC's salary !!!!

No, they can start by giving him the "bums rush",cutting him off totally and
cleaning house at the Board. Will it happen? No . Tulane will never move forward
until all ties with Cowen are cut, and that includes bringing in a new President not hand selected by
Cowen and Margie!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote:Hugh Long, chair of the University Senate budget review committee, said the total accumulated deficit is unknown due to uncertainty following Hurricane Katrina. Tulane did not keep track of finances immediately following Katrina.

Yep. As if the rumors and evidence we already had weren't damning enough, we now find out that the Board has been approving this deficit AND keeping it a secret from various constituents who had a right to know.

This is utterly scandalous (and this comes as no surprise to me), yet the Tulane community refuses to call out the emperor with no clothes. Then we get a unaffiliated ULL poster expressing shock, and instead of directing the appropriate anger at the crooks who have stolen and sunk our university, they bother to call you a troll instead.

Shooting the messenger is a staple around here.
Wave755
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:

Yep. As if the rumors and evidence we already had weren't damning enough, we now find out that the Board has been approving this deficit AND keeping it a secret from various constituents who had a right to know.

This is utterly scandalous (and this comes as no surprise to me), yet the Tulane community refuses to call out the emperor with no clothes. Then we get a unaffiliated ULL poster expressing shock, and instead of directing the appropriate anger at the crooks who have stolen and sunk our university, they bother to call you a troll instead.

The troll is no messenger, he is a troll. A troll has nothing constructive to give this forum.
cajunfanatico
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:

I wasn't shocked at the deficit, per se. The admission that the accumulated deficit is unknown and that the university failed to keep track of finances immediately after Katrina were the shocking parts. How does that happen to an organization of that size?

While I understand that Katrina was a catastrophic event, it's not like such an event came as a complete surprise to everyone. My dad, who died in 1994, told me when I was just a kid that it was only a matter of time until the right storm hit in the right location and New Orleans would be under water. He didn't live to see it, of course, but he was right all along.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

I wasn't shocked at the deficit, per se. The admission that the accumulated deficit is unknown and that the university failed to keep track of finances immediately after Katrina were the shocking parts. How does that happen to an organization of that size?

While I understand that Katrina was a catastrophic event, it's not like such an event came as a complete surprise to everyone. My dad, who died in 1994, told me when I was just a kid that it was only a matter of time until the right storm hit in the right location and New Orleans would be under water. He didn't live to see it, of course, but he was right all along.
Thanks, troll.
MicMan
Swell

Wave755...the anti-troll troll.
Wave755
Tsunami

MicMan wrote:Wave755...the anti-troll.
FIFY, thanks, troll.