Big XII Expansion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:16 am

DfromCT wrote:
Neither DirecTV nor Sling are cable providers; you're arguing a different point than the one I made. Two posters in this thread, both of which are sports fans, have stated that they cannot tell you if they have FS1 in their package. One of them worked for the cable company. Do you think we made this up? You better believe that a very high percentage of FS1 "Subscribers" don't know they have FS1. Very few don't know if they have ESPN.
And we're descending into even dumber arguments. Cable/Satellite/OTT are all considered forms of distribution for media content and the data is counted as a total for distribution per channel. If you want to make the arbitrary decision to omit >1/3rd of the market because it better fits your argument, good luck with that.


jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:18 am

ajcalhoun wrote:jj, IDGAF what your numbers say, in the real world of sports fans in the year 2016 FS1 is the red-headed stepchild of sports networks. Sure, one day that may be change someday, but right now ESPN is to sports networks what Scotch is to adhesive tape.

Many years ago Ford used to advertise that the LTD rode quieter than a Mercedes Benz.

That didn't mean you could get laid just because you drove an LTD.
Super. Once again, damn the facts because you feel that the results should be different.

Also, comparing buying cars from entirely different price brackets to viewing habits of consumers for TV channels they already have is next level stupid.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5227
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:30 am

ajcalhoun wrote:jj, IDGAF what your numbers say, in the real world of sports fans in the year 2016 FS1 is the red-headed stepchild of sports networks. Sure, one day that may be change someday, but right now ESPN is to sports networks what Scotch is to adhesive tape.

Many years ago Ford used to advertise that the LTD rode quieter than a Mercedes Benz.

That didn't mean you could get laid just because you drove an LTD.
Literally every member of this site (besides JJ) understands the reality of comparing a game on ESPN to a game on FS1, it's impossible. I am starting to believe JJ is just a genius troll (at least at times).
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5227
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:32 am

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
You really are too much. I am a huge sports fan and need to use the guide feature to find FS1. It was a compelling match up with Houston being the David vs the Goliath's. Add that to the fact that FS1 still has very little penetration (gigity) then you get the ratings difference. Big East Bball ratings on FS1 were horrific and less than the AAC (tmk) despite the fact that they were the #3 conference in the country.
Good gravy. People argue just to argue. You are literally making up arguments. Where a channel is placed in the "channel guide" is different for every provider. For example, I have Sling and there are no channel numbers. In fact, FS1 (and FS2) come right next to NBC (network) and well before the ESPN channels. You are confusing your own experiences with data representative of 80M+ people.

Also, it's factually incorrect to continue asserting that FS1 does not have distribution when it very factually does. You are arguing emotion over facts and data.
Seriously man, what is your deal. ESPN is the KING , FS1 is barely a pawn, does that analogy work for you? I aim to please JJ, it's my life goal.
User avatar
chain gang x man
Swell
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:02 pm
Location: Destrehan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:35 am

Barry Switzer against letting Houston in Big XII
http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... oo&ref=yfp
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8243
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:42 am

chain gang x man wrote:Barry Switzer against letting Houston in Big XII
http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... oo&ref=yfp
If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were banned from recruiting in the state of Texas, they would be Kansas !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6568
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:45 am

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Neither DirecTV nor Sling are cable providers; you're arguing a different point than the one I made. Two posters in this thread, both of which are sports fans, have stated that they cannot tell you if they have FS1 in their package. One of them worked for the cable company. Do you think we made this up? You better believe that a very high percentage of FS1 "Subscribers" don't know they have FS1. Very few don't know if they have ESPN.
And we're descending into even dumber arguments. Cable/Satellite/OTT are all considered forms of distribution for media content and the data is counted as a total for distribution per channel. If you want to make the arbitrary decision to omit >1/3rd of the market because it better fits your argument, good luck with that.
They're dumb arguments because you cannot refute them. As MBA stated, virtually everyone on this board knows the tremendous difference between a game on ESPN and a game on FS1. 99.99% of the sports viewing public knows this. Why don't you?
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:56 am

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Neither DirecTV nor Sling are cable providers; you're arguing a different point than the one I made. Two posters in this thread, both of which are sports fans, have stated that they cannot tell you if they have FS1 in their package. One of them worked for the cable company. Do you think we made this up? You better believe that a very high percentage of FS1 "Subscribers" don't know they have FS1. Very few don't know if they have ESPN.
And we're descending into even dumber arguments. Cable/Satellite/OTT are all considered forms of distribution for media content and the data is counted as a total for distribution per channel. If you want to make the arbitrary decision to omit >1/3rd of the market because it better fits your argument, good luck with that.
They're dumb arguments because you cannot refute them. As MBA stated, virtually everyone on this board knows the tremendous difference between a game on ESPN and a game on FS1. 99.99% of the sports viewing public knows this. Why don't you?
Cannot refute them? Can you find any credible data source that treats cable subscribers and satellite subscribers as different consumers?

At one point 99.99% of people believed the world was flat. And then there were facts that proved otherwise. My argument on this is based on fact, not opinion. The argument being made by "virtually everyone on this board" is based on opinion which is refuted by facts. So I'm ok with being in that .01% since it's factually accurate.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:56 am

golfnut69 wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:Barry Switzer against letting Houston in Big XII
http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... oo&ref=yfp
If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were banned from recruiting in the state of Texas, they would be Kansas !!!
lol.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6568
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:04 pm

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Cannot refute them? Can you find any credible data source that treats cable subscribers and satellite subscribers as different consumers?

At one point 99.99% of people believed the world was flat. And then there were facts that proved otherwise. My argument on this is based on fact, not opinion. The argument being made by "virtually everyone on this board" is based on opinion which is refuted by facts. So I'm ok with being in that .01% since it's factually accurate.
You still HAVE NOT refuted the FACT that ESPN has much, much better ratings overall than FS1. It's not even close. You can talk "subscribers" until you're blue in the face. The FACT is, ESPN is much more widely watched than FS1. That's the only point I've been trying to get through to you. You are bringing in other issues that have nothing to do with the FACT that ESPN enjoys FAR SUPERIOR RATINGS than FS1.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:10 pm

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Cannot refute them? Can you find any credible data source that treats cable subscribers and satellite subscribers as different consumers?

At one point 99.99% of people believed the world was flat. And then there were facts that proved otherwise. My argument on this is based on fact, not opinion. The argument being made by "virtually everyone on this board" is based on opinion which is refuted by facts. So I'm ok with being in that .01% since it's factually accurate.
You still HAVE NOT refuted the FACT that ESPN has much, much better ratings overall than FS1. It's not even close.
As I've stated multiple times now, I have not tried to make any such argument. Please stop trying to create arguments for the sake of creating arguments.

If content didn't matter and all that mattered was what channel a given game was on, there wouldn't be the bidding war over live sports content. You are arguing against the very fundamentals of the sports media industry and its accepted economics.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6568
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:19 pm

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Cannot refute them? Can you find any credible data source that treats cable subscribers and satellite subscribers as different consumers?

At one point 99.99% of people believed the world was flat. And then there were facts that proved otherwise. My argument on this is based on fact, not opinion. The argument being made by "virtually everyone on this board" is based on opinion which is refuted by facts. So I'm ok with being in that .01% since it's factually accurate.
You still HAVE NOT refuted the FACT that ESPN has much, much better ratings overall than FS1. It's not even close.
As I've stated multiple times now, I have not tried to make any such argument. Please stop trying to create arguments for the sake of creating arguments.

If content didn't matter and all that mattered was what channel a given game was on, there wouldn't be the bidding war over live sports content. You are arguing against the very fundamentals of the sports media industry and its accepted economics.
No, I'm making an argument that has nothing to do with the sports media industry. You are making a different case. We're talking apples and oranges. ESPN viewership DWARFS that of FS1. Part of the reason a game on FS1 doesn't get the ratings as a game on ESPN is that a MUCH LARGER portion of sports viewers know what's on ESPN than what's on (or even if they have) FS1. You kept this up arguing something different, and when you couldn't refute the point I was making, finally admitted you were not arguing the same thing.

I don't give a damn what the media buyers/sellers think or care about. All I know is if a game is on ESPN, unless Tulane is on FS1, I'm 1000% more likely to watch that game than whatever is on some channel I don't even know if I get. When I channel surf, I don't include FS1. I don't think I'm unique; on the contrary I would bet that most sports viewers are similar.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5227
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:25 pm

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Cannot refute them? Can you find any credible data source that treats cable subscribers and satellite subscribers as different consumers?

At one point 99.99% of people believed the world was flat. And then there were facts that proved otherwise. My argument on this is based on fact, not opinion. The argument being made by "virtually everyone on this board" is based on opinion which is refuted by facts. So I'm ok with being in that .01% since it's factually accurate.
You still HAVE NOT refuted the FACT that ESPN has much, much better ratings overall than FS1. It's not even close. You can talk "subscribers" until you're blue in the face. The FACT is, ESPN is much more widely watched than FS1. That's the only point I've been trying to get through to you. You are bringing in other issues that have nothing to do with the FACT that ESPN enjoys FAR SUPERIOR RATINGS than FS1.
D we all get it. Honestly its pointless.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6568
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:29 pm

mbawavefan12 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Cannot refute them? Can you find any credible data source that treats cable subscribers and satellite subscribers as different consumers?

At one point 99.99% of people believed the world was flat. And then there were facts that proved otherwise. My argument on this is based on fact, not opinion. The argument being made by "virtually everyone on this board" is based on opinion which is refuted by facts. So I'm ok with being in that .01% since it's factually accurate.
You still HAVE NOT refuted the FACT that ESPN has much, much better ratings overall than FS1. It's not even close. You can talk "subscribers" until you're blue in the face. The FACT is, ESPN is much more widely watched than FS1. That's the only point I've been trying to get through to you. You are bringing in other issues that have nothing to do with the FACT that ESPN enjoys FAR SUPERIOR RATINGS than FS1.
D we all get it. Honestly its pointless.
You're right, he's a very intelligent troll. I'm done with it...
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1772
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:33 pm

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the Big XII is going to do something in 10 days.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8243
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:14 pm

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:19 pm

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Cannot refute them? Can you find any credible data source that treats cable subscribers and satellite subscribers as different consumers?

At one point 99.99% of people believed the world was flat. And then there were facts that proved otherwise. My argument on this is based on fact, not opinion. The argument being made by "virtually everyone on this board" is based on opinion which is refuted by facts. So I'm ok with being in that .01% since it's factually accurate.
You still HAVE NOT refuted the FACT that ESPN has much, much better ratings overall than FS1. It's not even close.
As I've stated multiple times now, I have not tried to make any such argument. Please stop trying to create arguments for the sake of creating arguments.

If content didn't matter and all that mattered was what channel a given game was on, there wouldn't be the bidding war over live sports content. You are arguing against the very fundamentals of the sports media industry and its accepted economics.
No, I'm making an argument that has nothing to do with the sports media industry. You are making a different case. We're talking apples and oranges. ESPN viewership DWARFS that of FS1. Part of the reason a game on FS1 doesn't get the ratings as a game on ESPN is that a MUCH LARGER portion of sports viewers know what's on ESPN than what's on (or even if they have) FS1. You kept this up arguing something different, and when you couldn't refute the point I was making, finally admitted you were not arguing the same thing.

I don't give a damn what the media buyers/sellers think or care about. All I know is if a game is on ESPN, unless Tulane is on FS1, I'm 1000% more likely to watch that game than whatever is on some channel I don't even know if I get. When I channel surf, I don't include FS1. I don't think I'm unique; on the contrary I would bet that most sports viewers are similar.
Ok. So content does not matter, people just turn on their TVs and watch whatever is on their most recognized channels. All these media business executives who have been bidding up sports media rights have obviously been wasting their time and all of the underlying economics of the entire TV industry are wrong. Got it.

Just so you understand, if what you were arguing were remotely true, ESPN would give the AAC a $5M/year/school contract since they can get the same ratings at a fraction of the cost they are paying for SEC/B12/etc. That's what you are arguing.

Your not understanding the issue doesn't make me a troll.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:34 pm

HoustonWave wrote:Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the Big XII is going to do something in 10 days.
Well that increasingly looks like nothing. They need a super majority and it doesn't seem like they have anything close to that about any candidate. Chaos is good for Tulane.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8243
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:36 pm

I actually vote for the AAC games to be on Home / Garden...The Discovery...or History Channels.....soon all of the Big12 games will be on the "History" channel

Insider Info....The new conference will be called "The Big Tex and a few friends"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:30 pm

golfnut69 wrote:I actually vote for the AAC games to be on Home / Garden...The Discovery...or History Channels.....soon all of the Big12 games will be on the "History" channel

Insider Info....The new conference will be called "The Big Tex and a few friends"
Would be very interesting. This means a number of universities are in line to lose their "P5" status and money, which might be enough chaos to set a whole set of changes in motion.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6568
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:24 pm

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Ok. So content does not matter, people just turn on their TVs and watch whatever is on their most recognized channels. All these media business executives who have been bidding up sports media rights have obviously been wasting their time and all of the underlying economics of the entire TV industry are wrong. Got it.

Just so you understand, if what you were arguing were remotely true, ESPN would give the AAC a $5M/year/school contract since they can get the same ratings at a fraction of the cost they are paying for SEC/B12/etc. That's what you are arguing.

Your not understanding the issue doesn't make me a troll.
No, Jonathan, you refusing to admit that ESPN draws more viewers than FS1 is what makes you a troll. All this talk about underlying economics and sports media rights have nothing to do with the point I have made. You love to stir up an argument, then throw a different angle on it, ultimately saying that you were not arguing the point in the first place. It's your mode of operating, and by definition it makes you a troll.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6773
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:25 pm

jonathanjoseph wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:I actually vote for the AAC games to be on Home / Garden...The Discovery...or History Channels.....soon all of the Big12 games will be on the "History" channel

Insider Info....The new conference will be called "The Big Tex and a few friends"
Would be very interesting. This means a number of universities are in line to lose their "P5" status and money, which might be enough chaos to set a whole set of changes in motion.
I don't think so, JJ. Word is they're working some behind the scenes agreement with ESPN/FOX and with UT/OU/KU. Let those three schools leave in 2 years with their rights, and networks give the remaining B12 a network and maintain P5 access, with a deal that extends to 2035. Those remaining schools will then have to fill out the conference, which is where our chance would come in. That's what in that last Twitter stream I posted yesterday.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
anEngineer
High Tide
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:58 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:I actually vote for the AAC games to be on Home / Garden...The Discovery...or History Channels.....soon all of the Big12 games will be on the "History" channel

Insider Info....The new conference will be called "The Big Tex and a few friends"
Would be very interesting. This means a number of universities are in line to lose their "P5" status and money, which might be enough chaos to set a whole set of changes in motion.
I don't think so, JJ. Word is they're working some behind the scenes agreement with ESPN/FOX and with UT/OU/KU. Let those three schools leave in 2 years with their rights, and networks give the remaining B12 a network and maintain P5 access, with a deal that extends to 2035. Those remaining schools will then have to fill out the conference, which is where our chance would come in. That's what in that last Twitter stream I posted yesterday.
I think Tulane is more likely to get an invite from a conference where UT and OU have input. I'm not sure we get invited to a conference with just the remaining schools. Those schools couldn't care less about academics.
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 1917
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:25 pm

RobertM320 wrote: Word is they're working some behind the scenes agreement with ESPN/FOX and with UT/OU/KU. Let those three schools leave in 2 years with their rights, and networks give the remaining B12 a network and maintain P5 access, with a deal that extends to 2035.
I don't buy it. Nobody will consider the Big XII without UT/OU/KU a power conference any more.
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8243
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:05 am

conversation at dinner last night in Big D, was focused on the new UT conference, the original name has been somewhat changed it will now be called "Big Tex and the Yes Men"....The conference logo will be an "Out House' with a "lone star" cut out of the door. The new commish will be DeLoser Doods assisted by Mack duh Brown. The conference will have it's own theme song...DeLoser has bought the rights to Chuck Berry's "My Ding A Ling" which will be played in place of the National Anthem..Colin Kaepernick will be named director of Public Relations...ESPN has designated "Big Tex" with a prestigious PEE 1 classification
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Post Reply