Big XII Expansion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
OUG
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Thank you for those tweets, Robert.

So, it seems like Texas wants UC/UH and Oklahoma wants UC/UConn (at least in the Winter)? At this point, the Big 12 needs to expand by 14, add Tulane and Cincinnati, and get on its hand and knees and beg/do whatever it takes for Georgia Tech and Miami to join. That would be perfect - Louisiana/Ohio/Georgia/Florida all in one expansion with adding one of the top 2 programs in 3/4 states (I'm fudging a little to make Tulane look better, but the point still stands).
I think as outsiders we are misreading the debate that is really going on inside the conference. Although I think some schools have preferences, I don't think the biggest hurdle is about which schools to add. None of them bring enough value in and of themselves to justify inclusion, and none of them will sink or destabilize the conference. To some extent, it just doesn't matter who they add. And I think all the conflicting reports about which schools like which candidates speaks to that. They just don't have strong feelings one way or another on the candidates.

The bigger debates are about the long-term stability of the conference and the expansion process has become a vehicle for those fights. Principally, whether or not the Grant of Rights will be extended, and whether a conference tv network will be created. When Boren talks about expanding in a way that guarantees the long-term stability and improves the value of the tv deal, he isn't talking about the very marginal difference between the value added by UConn or Cincinnati or even Tulane. He is talking about what expansion decision will gain UT's commitment to extend the GOR and pursue a TV Network.

The value provided by any of the candidate schools is in pennies, the value provided by the GOR (in stability terms) and the Big 12 TV network agreement is in pounds.

We can all participate in the ****-measuring of Tulane vs. USF, but I don't think that is the discussion that is really happening inside the Big 12. That's why they are so paralyzed right now.

OUG
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:I think OU is flat out against UH, and Texas is against UC. I think what he meant was, back in the winter they were supporting a UC/UConn expansion, now maybe they want UC/BYU. And from what I've read, WVU doesn't want Cincinnati. But don't ask me, I have no idea! LOL

Basically, OU is fed up with catering to Texas' desires, which in this case seems to be adding UH. I still think if they do nothing its better for us in the long run. We're still marginal right now, even in they go to 14. Give it two years and we get ourselves right on the field and court, and the B12 figures out what they want to do, and we become a front runner.
I don't think OU really is against adding UH per se. OU cares more about the stability of the conference and it's long-term value. They'd take UH if Texas agreed to extend the GOR and pursue a conference network deal/agreement on T3 rights.

But if UT doesn't want to do that, then in OU's view, they aren't seriously committed to the conference. And therefore, why should Boren allow them to have their way on their preferred expansion candidate so they can kiss political ass if they aren't even committed to the league? He's drawing a line in the sand -- UH is just the proxy for these other issues.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Again, from Tulane's perspective we want chaos and dissension. Texas pushing for Houston. Oklahoma against Houston. In addition Iowa St and Kansas St are against BYU for political correctness reasons. And if Oklahoma bails on the Conference they can become a package deal with Oklahoma St to either the PAC 12, Big 10 or SEC. If Oklahoma or Texas bails on the conference then the Big 12 is done, in which case the AAC is the better place to be.
sader24
Tsunami

Adding Houston makes it a lot tougher on Oklahoma recruiting that area, adding TCU already did that to them in Dallas.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

OUG wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I think OU is flat out against UH, and Texas is against UC. I think what he meant was, back in the winter they were supporting a UC/UConn expansion, now maybe they want UC/BYU. And from what I've read, WVU doesn't want Cincinnati. But don't ask me, I have no idea! LOL

Basically, OU is fed up with catering to Texas' desires, which in this case seems to be adding UH. I still think if they do nothing its better for us in the long run. We're still marginal right now, even in they go to 14. Give it two years and we get ourselves right on the field and court, and the B12 figures out what they want to do, and we become a front runner.
I don't think OU really is against adding UH per se. OU cares more about the stability of the conference and it's long-term value. They'd take UH if Texas agreed to extend the GOR and pursue a conference network deal/agreement on T3 rights.

But if UT doesn't want to do that, then in OU's view, they aren't seriously committed to the conference. And therefore, why should Boren allow them to have their way on their preferred expansion candidate so they can kiss political ass if they aren't even committed to the league? He's drawing a line in the sand -- UH is just the proxy for these other issues.
I think that is a very good summary of how things likely stand in the Big XII. Without the Grand Compromise and Vision that OU seeks, there is little chance of expansion unless they want to add a couple non-controversial candidates like Tulane and either AF or CSU, just to get the additional TV money. But longer term, if UT and OU can't strike the Grand Compromise and Vision, the current lack of expansion is truly the first step toward the dissolution of the Big XII. I wonder which alliance (UT or OU) the Plan B involves? Since BYU is the one that has suggested that it has had discussions regarding a Plan B, who is the strongest supporter of BYU, UT or OU? It looks like they either compromise and expand by at least 4, perhaps more, and restructure and extend the GORs issue with the networks, or they don't compromise, in which case UH and Cincy are out, and it only takes one more school (in addition to ISU and KSU) to sink BYU. While the non-Texas schools continue to be concerned about what UH might do to their recruiting in SE Texas, the SEC seems to be taking all the good recruits from SE Texas. It's probably not coincidental that the Big XII now can't even get a team into the Top 15--there is already a talent shortage throughout the Big XII.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:

This is a great take.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

in regards to OU and OSU recruiting the state of Texas here is the breakdown...

OU--- 50 players from Texas 9 from metro Houston ( including Beaumont, Port Arthur, Orange )

OSU---55 players from Texas...10 from metro Houston (including Beaumont, Port Arthur, Orange)
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wavetime
Swell

The longer this goes the more I think that the rumors of BYU talking to B12 northern schools about an alternative to expansion is true. It just makes too much sense. The B12 north can break away and take BYU, Cinn, UCONN etc and Texas and the other school in the state can reform the old SWC and take Tulane and the Florida schools. It just makes sense.

The question is, do we want in?
RobertM320
Green Wave

I think anything we can do to get in with Texas is a yes. I think Texas would always prefer to be in a conf they dominate than to be just another fish in the SEC or B1G. And they may still have enough juice to get their conf recognized as one of the P5 conferences instead of the OU/BYU version.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
I think that is a very good summary of how things likely stand in the Big XII. Without the Grand Compromise and Vision that OU seeks, there is little chance of expansion unless they want to add a couple non-controversial candidates like Tulane and either AF or CSU, just to get the additional TV money. But longer term, if UT and OU can't strike the Grand Compromise and Vision, the current lack of expansion is truly the first step toward the dissolution of the Big XII. I wonder which alliance (UT or OU) the Plan B involves? Since BYU is the one that has suggested that it has had discussions regarding a Plan B, who is the strongest supporter of BYU, UT or OU? It looks like they either compromise and expand by at least 4, perhaps more, and restructure and extend the GORs issue with the networks, or they don't compromise, in which case UH and Cincy are out, and it only takes one more school (in addition to ISU and KSU) to sink BYU. While the non-Texas schools continue to be concerned about what UH might do to their recruiting in SE Texas, the SEC seems to be taking all the good recruits from SE Texas. It's probably not coincidental that the Big XII now can't even get a team into the Top 15--there is already a talent shortage throughout the Big XII.
Trust me, Tulane would be an EXTREMELY controversial addition to the Big 12.

UT has the Longhorn Network deal through 2030, to the best of my knowledge. They're not going to just walk away from the $$ that brings them, and the coverage it provides to what's arguably the 2nd largest fan base in the country. Certainly it's a top 5 fan base. If UT and/or OU were to leave the Big 12, you'd probably witness the P5 become the P4 with each "power" conference going to two divisions of 8 teams. That might be the final divide between the "haves" and "have nots".
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wavetime wrote:The longer this goes the more I think that the rumors of BYU talking to B12 northern schools about an alternative to expansion is true. It just makes too much sense. The B12 north can break away and take BYU, Cinn, UCONN etc and Texas and the other school in the state can reform the old SWC and take Tulane and the Florida schools. It just makes sense.

Here's why it DOESN"T make sense: Geography. Yes, the schools you mention may all be in the North, but that would be a conference that stretches from Utah to Connecticut. That's a travel nightmare. I don't think there's really any merit in this idea. Where would OU and OSU go? Neither are "Northern" schools, and they're not Texas schools, either.

What would make more sense would be BYU getting the Iowa and Kansas schools and maybe OU and OSU, to join with some of the Mountain West Schools. This would leave UConn on the outside looking in, but they should ultimately end up in the ACC. Tulane to a conference that includes all of the Big 12 schools in Texas, plus Houston, USF and UCF would be a huge boost for us. It's likely that both conferences would be granted "Power" status. The likelihood of this happening before the end of this decade are VERY slim.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:

UT has the Longhorn Network deal through 2030, to the best of my knowledge. They're not going to just walk away from the $$ that brings them, and the coverage it provides to what's arguably the 2nd largest fan base in the country. Certainly it's a top 5 fan base. If UT and/or OU were to leave the Big 12, you'd probably witness the P5 become the P4 with each "power" conference going to two divisions of 8 teams. That might be the final divide between the "haves" and "have nots".
We might be controversial to the Big XII fan base and media wonks, but we don't appear to be nearly as controversial (to the Big XII presidents) as BYU, UH, Cincy, and some of the far flung schools. Through all the negotiating, and backroom deal making, we haven't heard anything specifically negative about Tulane. Of course I would have thought the same thing about Cincy, and can't possibly explain why they may have 7 votes against them, other than 7 schools don't want to add to their travels east. Maybe it's good that the Louisiana politicians have kept their mouths shut, because it sounds as though the Texas Gov and Lt Gov have personally sunk any chance UH may have. The LGBT crowd may have torpedoed BYU. So through all the smoke and dissension, Tulane seems to have less hair on it than just about any of the candidates.
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:

We might be controversial to the Big XII fan base and media wonks, but we don't appear to be nearly as controversial (to the Big XII presidents) as BYU, UH, Cincy, and some of the far flung schools. Through all the negotiating, and backroom deal making, we haven't heard anything specifically negative about Tulane. Of course I would have thought the same thing about Cincy, and can't possibly explain why they may have 7 votes against them, other than 7 schools don't want to add to their travels east. Maybe it's good that the Louisiana politicians have kept their mouths shut, because it sounds as though the Texas Gov and Lt Gov have personally sunk any chance UH may have. The LGBT crowd may have torpedoed BYU. So through all the smoke and dissension, Tulane seems to have less hair on it than just about any of the candidates.
Now if we'd only start winning......
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wavetime wrote:The longer this goes the more I think that the rumors of BYU talking to B12 northern schools about an alternative to expansion is true. It just makes too much sense. The B12 north can break away and take BYU, Cinn, UCONN etc and Texas and the other school in the state can reform the old SWC and take Tulane and the Florida schools. It just makes sense.

I think that's very likely what is brewing. UT and OU may agree to a "friendly divorce", where they both essentially get what they want, and they will keep the Red River Rivalry alive (which is what OU really needs for recruiting). And it's quite possible that both conferences, sufficiently expanded, will get "P" status. If such a split should happen, I think there is a good chance that we might get invites from both. I can see benefits of being in either, but in the end, the geographic advantage of the UT conference would probably be to strong to ignore--and it could be a very good conference and ultimately challenge the SEC in the south and southeast.

Think of a conference with UT, TT, TCU, SMU, UH, Baylor, Tulane, UCF, USF, Memphis (since UT doesn't have a problem with them like OU does). If they want to get bigger, they could consider UNM, Rice, Tulsa or USM.

OU's northern conference might include OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, BYU, Cincy, CSU, Air Force, and Boise St., and if more size is desired they could go after UConn, Temple, Army , Navy and perhaps ECU.

The UT conference would have a significant advantage as far as recruiting goes--with a footprint in Texas, Louisiana, and Florida. But both conferences could be very legit, and would be death blows for the AAC and MWC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:

Now if we'd only start winning......
Like tonight.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
lurker123
Swell

Eight votes is a lot of votes.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:Think of a conference with UT, TT, TCU, SMU, UH, Baylor, Tulane, UCF, USF, Memphis (since UT doesn't have a problem with them like OU does). If they want to get bigger, they could consider UNM, Rice, Tulsa or USM.

OU's northern conference might include OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, BYU, Cincy, CSU, Air Force, and Boise St., and if more size is desired they could go after UConn, Temple, Army , Navy and perhaps ECU.
This would be good in theory, but, in the currently college football climate, I would argue that it seems very unlikely that the powers that be would allow the Big 12 to be split into two separate access conferences.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:Think of a conference with UT, TT, TCU, SMU, UH, Baylor, Tulane, UCF, USF, Memphis (since UT doesn't have a problem with them like OU does). If they want to get bigger, they could consider UNM, Rice, Tulsa or USM.

This would be good in theory, but, in the currently college football climate, I would argue that it seems very unlikely that the powers that be would allow the Big 12 to be split into two separate access conferences.
In the UT world, the only power that matters is UT. I think UT's long term goal is to "secure Texas" and challenge the SEC-- something the northern Big XII don't seem to care much about. If so, that is a very fundamentally different view of the world, and could already be the wedge causing the current expansion stand off with OU, and the northerners. While OU and the northerners get tired of UT hegemony, UT is also getting tired of the northerners constant complaints--something will likely give at some point. While the OU faction may be interested in Tulane because of our academic standing and recruiting turf, UT will likely be interested in us because New Orleans, Houston, Tampa and Orlando would be the points of attack on the SEC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:In the UT world, the only power that matters is UT. I think UT's long term goal is to "secure Texas" and challenge the SEC-- something the northern Big XII don't seem to care much about. If so, that is a very fundamentally different view of the world, and could already be the wedge causing the current expansion stand off with OU, and the northerners. While OU and the northerners get tired of UT hegemony, UT is also getting tired of the northerners constant complaints--something will likely give at some point. While the OU faction may be interested in Tulane because of our academic standing and recruiting turf, UT will likely be interested in us because we, and already Houston, would be ground zero in a war with the SEC.
Maybe, but would the NCAA/other Power conferences vote to acknowledge both of these two new conferences as access conferences?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:In the UT world, the only power that matters is UT. I think UT's long term goal is to "secure Texas" and challenge the SEC-- something the northern Big XII don't seem to care much about. If so, that is a very fundamentally different view of the world, and could already be the wedge causing the current expansion stand off with OU, and the northerners. While OU and the northerners get tired of UT hegemony, UT is also getting tired of the northerners constant complaints--something will likely give at some point. While the OU faction may be interested in Tulane because of our academic standing and recruiting turf, UT will likely be interested in us because we, and already Houston, would be ground zero in a war with the SEC.
Maybe, but would the NCAA/other Power conferences vote to acknowledge both of these two new conferences as access conferences?
Don't know, and UT doesn't control the NCAA like they use to. But that's a lot schools to ignore.
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Don't know, and UT doesn't control the NCAA like they use to. But that's a lot schools to ignore.
Would be hard to try justify keeping OU or UT out of P5 access, don't you think? And if they denied access to a ton of schools that have had access all along, just because they didn't like the way it played out, would it open any legal can of worms? Or, do they just decide they don't want to deal with UT's attitude and they give the OU league the access spot? Would there be anything Texas could do if that did happen? Probably not.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:Don't know, and UT doesn't control the NCAA like they use to. But that's a lot schools to ignore.
Would be hard to try justify keeping OU or UT out of P5 access, don't you think? And if they denied access to a ton of schools that have had access all along, just because they didn't like the way it played out, would it open any legal can of worms? Or, do they just decide they don't want to deal with UT's attitude and they give the OU league the access spot? Would there be anything Texas could do if that did happen? Probably not.
Well, it would come down to what the NCAA/other access conferences want to do. If they want a P6, they will vote to give both of those conferences the access designation, but, if they only want P4, they won't. Even if, for some reason, they are each given access, the TV money is going to drop dramatically for the current Big 12 teams and that would likely deter them from going that route as the conferences below wouldn't come -close- to the payouts that the Big 12 has now. I would argue that the P4 may prefer to move to 16 and absorb almost all of the Big 12 than become a P6 with 2 of those conferences receiving a fraction of the TV revenue that the B1G and SEC receive.

UT, TT, TCU, SMU, UH, Baylor, Tulane, UCF, USF, Memphis

OU,OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, BYU, Cincy, CSU, Air Force, and Boise St.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:Don't know, and UT doesn't control the NCAA like they use to. But that's a lot schools to ignore.
Well, it would come down to what the NCAA/other access conferences want to do. If they want a P6, they will vote to give both of those conferences the access designation, but, if they only want P4, they won't. Even if, for some reason, they are each given access, the TV money is going to drop dramatically for the current Big 12 teams and that would likely deter them from going that route as the conferences below wouldn't come -close- to the payouts that the Big 12 has now. I would argue that the P4 may prefer to move to 16 and absorb almost all of the Big 12 than become a P6 with 2 of those conferences receiving a fraction of the TV revenue that the B1G and SEC receive.

UT, TT, TCU, SMU, UH, Baylor, Tulane, UCF, USF, Memphis

OU,OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, BYU, Cincy, CSU, Air Force, and Boise St.
Going to a P6 wouldn't be that traumatic, given that's what we use to have. Also a P6 might create the impetus to go to an eight team playoff. Lastly, I don't think either UT or OU want to go into another P conference because they would have a much harder path to national championships. They have much easier paths with the current Big XII, and would continue to have an advantaged path if they split into two conferences, that they each dominated. The bigger problem with this scenario is the question, does it solve the talent problem that the Big XII (including OU and UT) is currently experiencing. I think the proposed OU conference might have a serious recruiting problem (including OU if they can't keep the Red River Rivalry going). The UT conference would clearly have a recruiting advantage, but they would still have to deal with the SEC. I think UT knows that the SEC poses a huge threat to the current Big XII, and UT will be focusing on that threat in whatever conference structure it ends up in. A conference with the Texas schools, plus Memphis, Tulane and the Florida schools would have a much better chance of competing with the SEC than the current Big XII, or the OU version of an expanded Big XII.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
Going to a P6 wouldn't be that traumatic, given that's what we use to have. Also a P6 might create the impetus to go to an eight team playoff. Lastly, I don't think either UT or OU want to go into another P conference because they would have a much harder path to national championships. They have much easier paths with the current Big XII, and would continue to have an advantaged path if they split into two conferences, that they each dominated. The bigger problem with this scenario is the question, does it solve the talent problem that the Big XII (including OU and UT) is currently experiencing. I think the proposed OU conference might have a serious recruiting problem (including OU if they can't keep the Red River Rivalry going). The UT conference would clearly have a recruiting advantage, but they would still have to deal with the SEC. I think UT knows that the SEC poses a huge threat to the current Big XII, and UT will be focusing on that threat in whatever conference structure it ends up in. A conference with the Texas schools, plus Memphis, Tulane and the Florida schools would have a much better chance of competing with the SEC than the current Big XII, or the OU version of an expanded Big XII.
So what you're saying is Memphis, Tulane, USF and UCF are worth more to a conference collectively than OU, OSU, ISU, KU, Kansas State and West Virginia? If you really believe that's true, I'd like you to take a look at a bridge for sale in the Arizona dessert.