Big XII Expansion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Getting close to a decision? Looks like Cincy is prepared just in case.....
https://twitter.com/RedDirtSport/status ... 8398458881

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

A source at Hook Em says that one expansion candidate offered to pay the Big 12 $50M.

http://www.hookem.com/columns/big-12-ex ... ful-eight/
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:A source at Hook Em says that one expansion candidate offered to pay the Big 12 $50M.

That about sums up how far away we are from getting in.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:A source at Hook Em says that one expansion candidate offered to pay the Big 12 $50M.

That about sums up how far away we are from getting in.
Bohls is a very good reporter so I'm sure substance of comment is accurate. However remember that payment could be simply foregone prorata shares of TV revenue sharing. NFL has often done this when it expanded. It could be "in kind" like what UM proposed with new/enhanced Fed Ex "sponsorships." Or it could very well be $50 million in circulated Swiss Francs in small denominations that the Iranians didn't need paid up front by the interested candidate.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

One thing that could be the worst possible outcome for Tulane: That the Big 12 accepts the ESPN & Co. money to not expand, and gives up the $25 million per new member/year clause in their contract. That would mean ESPN & Co. buys out that clause and the 10 existing member benefit. Any new member in the future would either not get TV revenue, or have to be good enough to raise ratings.

Wins and losses MATTER. Maybe not year to year, but our last 50 years of mostly not winning is coming back to haunt us. Many here have argued that our on field success doesn't matter. Today and the next 5 years will show that our record is our ball and chain. ESPN & Co. are not "investing" in the potential of the so called "sleeping giant."
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

You're still missing the point. ESPN is NOT going to be the major player in a few years. When Netflix, Amazon, Twitter and other OTT media go looking for live content, they'll be the ones calling the shots, not ESPN or FOX. There's only so much content to go around, and if you want part of it, you'll have to pay for it.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Interesting that the meetings ended really early. Most of the Big 12 presidents have already headed back home. Doesn't sound like a scenario for expansion.
RobertM320
Green Wave

https://twitter.com/ChipBrownHD/status/ ... 6183724033
Jaxwave
Swell

Board members who have enabled the holding down of Tulane athletics should be used foe negligence. All we had to do was be competitive and we would have been attractive to the Big XII. The real shame is what the Big XII monies would have done for the academic side of the university.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:You're still missing the point. ESPN is NOT going to be the major player in a few years. When Netflix, Amazon, Twitter and other OTT media go looking for live content, they'll be the ones calling the shots, not ESPN or FOX. There's only so much content to go around, and if you want part of it, you'll have to pay for it.
Completely disagree as far as who call the shots. ESPN is already positioning themselves to overcome the "live" media hurdles. Netflix, FB and TWTR are so far from mainstream in regarsd to live content. Their customers want on demand not live. This is why ESPN has so overpaid for content because live sports cannot be placed on long term DVR.
JerseyWave
Riptide

No Big 12 expansion "at this time" is realistically the best case scenario for Tulane. Buys us time to get our business in order, become more competitive with our new AD and Coaches and keep improving our facilities. Also, the AAC in its current format can close the gap with the P5 schools. Last year Four AAC teams cracked the Top 25, this year two. It can be said today that Navy might be the best team in the conference. As a Tulane fan/alum I feel pretty good about how this scenario is playing out. Three more years and we should be much better positioned to step up our conference affiliation.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:No Big 12 expansion "at this time" is realistically the best case scenario for Tulane. Buys us time to get our business in order, become more competitive with our new AD and Coaches and keep improving our facilities. Also, the AAC in its current format can close the gap with the P5 schools. Last year Four AAC teams cracked the Top 25, this year two. It can be said today that Navy might be the best team in the conference. As a Tulane fan/alum I feel pretty good about how this scenario is playing out. Three more years and we should be much better positioned to step up our conference affiliation.
The big problem w/that is that if in fact they didn't expand that means they gave up the pro rata clause in return for more money to the current members. Therefore expansion is over.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

winwave wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:No Big 12 expansion "at this time" is realistically the best case scenario for Tulane. Buys us time to get our business in order, become more competitive with our new AD and Coaches and keep improving our facilities. Also, the AAC in its current format can close the gap with the P5 schools. Last year Four AAC teams cracked the Top 25, this year two. It can be said today that Navy might be the best team in the conference. As a Tulane fan/alum I feel pretty good about how this scenario is playing out. Three more years and we should be much better positioned to step up our conference affiliation.
The big problem w/that is that if in fact they didn't expand that means they gave up the pro rata clause in return for more money to the current members. Therefore expansion is over.
It's better than them raiding the AAC for Cincy, Houston, or UConn and Tulane being left behind. If they did expand today we all know the odds of Tulane being one of the chosen few were very long.
alumniwave
Low Tide

I said all along they would not expand. And this is the best thing for Tulane. The AAC is a very good conference for Tulane. Expansion will likely be looked at again in 2018-20. Time to get Tulane at the top of the AAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:
winwave wrote:
It's better than them raiding the AAC for Cincy, Houston, or UConn and Tulane being left behind. If they did expand today we all know the odds of Tulane being one of the chosen few were very long.
That's different from what you posted above which I was responding to. That was about us being in a better position to get picked for the next round of expansion. Like I said that's now not going to happen. It is of course better for the AAC that none got taken. We have all said that from the get go.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

No real surprise here, Big 12 will not add new members.

NBC Dallas/Fort Worth article:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Expan ... 13641.html
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG
Riptide

To clarify, that quote is from January. TD could not be reached for comment.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:You're still missing the point. ESPN is NOT going to be the major player in a few years. When Netflix, Amazon, Twitter and other OTT media go looking for live content, they'll be the ones calling the shots, not ESPN or FOX. There's only so much content to go around, and if you want part of it, you'll have to pay for it.
No, I see that OTT players will be important. But they're not going to pay P5 dollars to the G5. They want content that will make their delivery imperative to watch, not 2nd rate content that only a few loyal fans give a $hit about. For the most part G5 ratings are a decimal point away from P5, and not far above the top FCS ratings.

It's not like Tulane vs. Tulsa are going to put Netflix sports on the map.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
No, I see that OTT players will be important. But they're not going to pay P5 dollars to the G5. They want content that will make their delivery imperative to watch, not 2nd rate content that only a few loyal fans give a $hit about. For the most part G5 ratings are a decimal point away from P5, and not far above the top FCS ratings.

What is "Netflix" ?
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:

I agree with D. As long as the major players have the P5 locked down, there isn't much of a market for those that would want to pay a premium for AAC content. Even if Netflix - the biggest streaming service by far - got involved by bidding on AAC content, it would likely be bidding against only token offers from ESPN/Fox/CBS, and, because of that, it wouldn't have to pay nearly as much for them as one would think. While those token offers would be more than what the AAC receives now, they wouldn't come close to an 8x increase (which is what is required to reach $16M a school). Of course, all of this assumes that Netflix would be interested in 2nd tier college football content, and it may not be given that ownership of AAC rights probably wouldn't increase its subscriber base that much and the AAC conference game tv ratings for teams other than Houston haven't been that impressive this year.
RobertM320
Green Wave

This is the quote from Dannen. To be honest, I don't remember seeing this one back in January.
“I expect to compete with the Big 12 and the ACC day in, day out in every sport — whether I’m in their league or not in their league — so I’ve got to make sure our program is in a position to do that,” he said in January. “You shouldn’t look at one duck and be able to tell it’s Tulane and another duck and tell it’s Duke or another duck and tell it’s TCU. I want us to look like all the other ducks in the pond.”

This is from Guerry's article. The thing is, even though we're not close in revenue, it seems as a conference we ARE much closer on the field. If we can continue to be competitive in OOC games and field teams that people find exciting to watch, the AAC WILL get more money. This will be especially true if we get to the point where we're consistently over .500 in games vs P5 teams as a conference. Sure, it doesn't necessarily mean people are going to want to watch Tulane vs Tulsa, but if they just reach the point where they want to see Houston, Memphis, USF and UConn, that's all it takes. Because you can't tell me there's that many more eyes in the country where Iowa State vs Kansas football is must-see TV.
There is a huge gap between the AAC and Big 12 in revenue. The Big 12's television contracts with ESPN and Fox, which run through 2024-25, are worth more than $20 million per year for each school. Each member of the AAC earns about $2 million annually from deals with ESPN and CBS Sports that run through 2019-20.

On the field, the difference has been much smaller. The AAC is 29-14 in nonconference games this year, and the Big 12 is 19-11. Houston beat Big 12 favorite Oklahoma 33-23 to start the season, rising to No. 6 in The Associated Press poll before losing to fellow AAC school Navy.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

It is now time for the AAC to go forth and kick some ass....add Boise State, Colorado State, BYU, New Mexico....this will force some domino's to fall