Big XII Expansion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
ajcalhoun
Swell

This is just my hunch but I think UCONN will end up in The B1G Ten.

God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:This is just my hunch but I think UCONN will end up in The B1G Ten.
The Big 10 or the ACC... the Big 12 is a stretch... both geographically and historically.... The Big 12 would love to get rid of WVU because of the geographic's involved, but it will not be happening any time soon... if the Big 12 had a "do over" L'ville would be in not WVU...but then again, geographically speaking, L'ville made the correct choice.... in the eyes of many in the Big 12, WVU is nothing more than Marshall with a larger enrollment
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jonathan
Riptide

Is this tread a joke. Tulane
Has ero chance to get into the
Big 12 untilAd RIck Dickson is I fired or retired.
Jonathan
Riptide

Is this thread poster a joke. It sounds like U La la jumping from the lowly sunbelt threw CUsA and
Past the AAC to the big 12
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Houston making a big push now.
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/sports/ ... ederated=1
Through the dynamic leadership of school president Renu Khator and athletic director Mack Rhoades, the Cougars are making every right move. They sank $120 million into a sparkling new 40,000-seat stadium. They gained Tier One academic status in 2011. They’ve raised $100 million in private donations since 2009. They made the best offseason hire this side of Michigan, which stole Jim Harbaugh from the NFL.

But the Big 12 may not listen to any sales pitch. Not right now, anyway. The 10 members, and especially the four in this state, are more than a little reluctant to share, either the television monies from their contracts amounting to more than $22 million apiece a year or their big-league status among blue-chippers, in what Herman calls “the best high school football city in the entire country.”

Add that kind of money to the $40 million budget of Houston — a quarter of Texas’ — and the Cougars would be on the prowl. Houston is rebuilding in basketball under the previously NCAA-exiled but outstanding coach Kelvin Sampson, but is No. 3 nationally in baseball and almost made last year’s College World Series. Leroy Burrell and Carl Lewis have promised to produce track Olympians, and the football team just overcame a 25-point deficit to win the Armed Forces Bowl, only its third bowl win since 1980.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

Houston with an approximately lowly $ 176m endowment with over 40,000 students, no way the Big 12 wants them. Add to that their poor basketball and football programs.
Wavetime
Swell

Well, here goes one spot in the Big 12.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... 56569.html
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wavetime wrote:Well, here goes one spot in the Big 12.

Like I have posted previously, many in the Big 12 do not want BYU becuse of their multi year/tier Red Shirt program they call Missions... most on this forum laugh when I post this..but it does play well in Kansas, Lubbock, Ft Worth, Waco, Iowa and Oklahoma...University of Texas @ Austin really does not care either way
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Before taking WVa, the Big 12 probably would have taken BYU. But now, already stuck with WVa., I doubt the Big 12 want to add another geographic outlier, especially one that brings the other baggage that BYU brings.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote:

Before taking WVa, the Big 12 probably would have taken BYU. But now, already stuck with WVa., I doubt the Big 12 want to add another geographic outlier, especially one that brings the other baggage that BYU brings.
It's a shame because we destroyed BYU in 1998 before SC and RD were allowed to work their magic with athletics.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:

If BYU is so damn attractive, why did the PAC 12 take Utah and Colorado....Colorado for gawds sake !!!! I understand that both Utah and BYU were not going to get an invite, it was one or the other...but they chose Utah.. The Big 12 does not need BYU...BYU needs the Big 12....geographically speaking Colorado State makes more sense for the Big 12 than BYU
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:

If BYU is so damn attractive, why did the PAC 12 take Utah and Colorado....Colorado for gawds sake !!!! I understand that both Utah and BYU were not going to get an invite, it was one or the other...but they chose Utah.. The Big 12 does not need BYU...BYU needs the Big 12....geographically speaking Colorado State makes more sense for the Big 12 than BYU
I absolutely agree with that. Colorado State make more sense that just about any candidate out there. Geographically contiguous, large state school, decent football and basketball programs, and about to start construction of a new $250MM stadium. The Big 12 could also make a strong run at the Front Range TV market, with a population of > 4 million. Currently, on the field and court, CSU is considerably better than CU (still in melt down mode)--add the momentum of a Big 12 invite, and CSU would quickly own the state. And of course, the best offset to bringing in a northern state school, would be a southern private school.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
A little history…
In Texas, football is about politics. Houston is a state school, and was a member of the Southwest Conference with current Big 12 members Texas, Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor. When the SWC merged with the Big 8 in 1996 to form the Big 12, Houston, along with SMU, TCU and Rice, was left out of the party. Baylor joined Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech in the then-new league.
Here’s where the politics comes in: Why Baylor (a relatively small private Christian school) and not Houston (a large metropolitan public university)? Texas’ governor at the time the Big 12 was formally founded on February 25th, 1994, was Ann Richards – a Baylor graduate.
Fertitta’s direct challenge may or may not come up in the Texas legislature sooner rather than later. The next legislative session in Austin convenes on Monday, February 23rd.

Read more at http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/housto ... SOKAyUG.99
Here is the real story, the Paul Harvey version....the Big 12 was formed by members of the Big 8 conference !!!!...When talks between SWC heavyweight schools and the Big 8 began, UH was on the list to be invited, but Ann Richards, the Guv at the time vowed that the Texas legislature would void any contracts if Baylor was not on the list, so UH got the boot... If you notice the original make up of the Big 12, none of the Big 8 schools were "left out".. The Big 8 conference called the shots, except of Baylor...the SWC schools did not have much of a voice...and if you remember it was not that much sooner than this announcement that the SWC was on the Tulane campus with thoughts of expansion, since Arkansas had moved on.. then the Big 8 made it's move and like Paul Harvey said " that's the rest of the story"
t
So true. The Big 8 was completely in control, as the SWC state schools were desperate. Initially only four SWC schools (UT, aTm, TT and UH) were to move into the Big 12. When UT and aTm told the Big 8 that they had to include Baylor (because of Gov. Richards' shenanigans), the Big 8 said they could add Baylor and/or any other SWC schools, but their (SWC schools) share of the Big 12 money would only be based on four schools. With that mandate, UT and aTm removed UH and added Baylor. TT was also along for the ride thanks to Texas state politics, as the Texas Legislature Speaker, at that time, was Gib Lewis (a TT alum). Lewis made it clear that none of this would happen without the inclusion of TT. Too bad some of Tulane's political alums haven't played such hardball.

The reason the SWC was in such desperate straits in the early 90's, was that the SWC was about to bring Tulane in, as a replacement of Arkansas. In fact, the major networks in Houston were already reporting that Tulane to the SWC was a done deal. The SWC big state schools were mortified by this prospect, and went hat-in-hand to the Big 8. Fast forward to Tulane's invite to the Big East, and we have quite an irony--Tulane may be the only university that has served as a catalyst for the demise of two major conferences--it's nice to be wanted.
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:

Like I have posted previously, many in the Big 12 do not want BYU becuse of their multi year/tier Red Shirt program they call Missions... most on this forum laugh when I post this..but it does play well in Kansas, Lubbock, Ft Worth, Waco, Iowa and Oklahoma...University of Texas @ Austin really does not care either way
This is true, BYU often has "freshman" who are 22 years old with a wife & four kids.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

This is true, BYU often has "freshman" who are 22 years old with a wife & four kids.
Keep in mind that only full fledged members of the Church of Later Day Saints take the missions. Yes, they often have upperclassmen that are considerably older, but not too often does an athlete take a mission before starting as a freshman. And if they don't successfully complete their mission, they're out of the University. Typically/historically, this has been an issue with the linemen more than any other position.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

Throw crap against the wall, see what sticks.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Any school hoping for a P5 invite has to hope that the NCAA sticks w/the rule requiring 12 teams for a conference championship game.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DrBox
Riptide

When Texas leaves the Big 12, we will then have a P4. OU and Kansas will get spots, but the rest will scramble, and some will be left out in the cold.
Big 12 should have taken Cincy and Lou over TCU and W Va.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

LSU and Ark
http://www.bringonthecats.com/2015/5/7/ ... ealignment
You've surely seen the myriad solutions on offer. Play a championship game without expanding. Mandate Power-5 non-conference games. Ban FCS games. Add BYU and Cincinnati or Cincinnati and Memphis or Boise State and Central Florida or Tulane and North Dakota State or -- good gravy people, you've lost your minds.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

The only chance Tulane has to get in the Big 12 is to double the size of Yulman stadium and fill it,construct a new much larger basketball arena and also an indoor state of the art football practice facility. Add to that constructing a state of the art tennis and track facility on the Goldring property. Lastly drastically increase our annual athletic budget and have both our football team and men's basketball teams appear and finish in the Top 25 polls every year. Not easy to do but with a new dynamic young AD we can get there!
Last edited by Jonathan on Tue May 12, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

I do not think anyone would argue that expectations for basketball just took a serious step up near term for obvious reasons.
msdos
Swell

If you need proof that football writers lose their minds in the off-season...look no further
Wavetime
Swell

LSU will never leave the SEC!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

West Virginia in favor of expansion!
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... 35050.html
Who could be an eastern team? That's a great question. If we're making a list off the top of our heads, our top three – Memphis, Cincinnati and UCF – all are in the American Athletic Conference.
Tulane Class of 1981