Big XII Expansion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:That's 10% of their roster. I didn't say they wouldn't be competitive, but I don't think they'd be perennial NC contenders like Ohio State, Alabama, etc. They'd still be good, but not NC good.
There not perennial NC contenders now. :mrgreen:

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:That's 10% of their roster. I didn't say they wouldn't be competitive, but I don't think they'd be perennial NC contenders like Ohio State, Alabama, etc. They'd still be good, but not NC good.
What if, say, they had an Urban Meyer, or Nick Saban or Jim Tressel as coach? I think the coach has much more to do with their chances of competing for a NC than the 2 players per recruiting class they may or may not lose.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

None of those three are going to be coaching there. Herman might unfortunately.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

After the first three weeks of the season, the Big XII is really struggling in their OOC games. I'm starting to think that they really do have a recruiting/talent problem, arguably since aTm went to the SEC. So far, there isn't one team that appears to be Top 10. Their expansion deliberations probably should give increasing importance to recruiting turf, cuz they're playing like they need a talent infusion.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:After the first three weeks of the season, the Big XII is really struggling in their OOC games. I'm starting to think that they really do have a recruiting/talent problem, arguably since aTm went to the SEC. So far, there isn't one team that appears to be Top 10. Their expansion deliberations probably should give increasing importance to recruiting turf, cuz they're playing like they need a talent infusion.
OU is playing like Kansas...Texas is impersonating Texas Tech..... Baylor is still learning how to count to IX.....TCU is a work in progress at Gas Monkey Garage

and ya gotta give the MOB @ Rice credit for sticking it to Baylor....please read the comments section !!!

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ylor-bears
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:After the first three weeks of the season, the Big XII is really struggling in their OOC games. I'm starting to think that they really do have a recruiting/talent problem, arguably since aTm went to the SEC. So far, there isn't one team that appears to be Top 10. Their expansion deliberations probably should give increasing importance to recruiting turf, cuz they're playing like they need a talent infusion.
I think I read somewhere they have no one in the Top15 for the first time since BCS started.

As for OOC games, I did a quick breakdown:

Big 12 vs:
P5 3-6
G5 6-4
P5+G5 = 9-10 .474 winning pct
FCS 6-1
TOTAL OOC = 15-11 .577 winning pct.

AAC vs:
P5 6-7
G5 3-1
P5+G5 = 9-8 .529 winning pct
FCS 12-0
TOTAL OOC = 21-8 .724 winning pct.

ACC vs:
P5 5-5
G5 7-3
P5+G5 = 12-8 .600 winning pct
FCS 11-1
TOTAL OOC = 23-9 .719 winning pct.

AAC looks more like a P5 than a G5.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

This is more like what you would expect from a true Power conference

Big 10 vs:
P5 8-3
G5 16-3
P5+G5 = 24-6 .800 winning pct
FCS 6-2
TOTAL OOC = 30-8 .789 winning pct.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:OU is playing like Kansas...Texas is impersonating Texas Tech..... Baylor is still learning how to count to IX.....TCU is a work in progress at Gas Monkey Garage

and ya gotta give the MOB @ Rice credit for sticking it to Baylor....please read the comments section !!!

I went to that game. The insults came out of nowhere and it was relentless throughout the performance - there was even an announcer that made jokes in between each song. That halftime show made up for the boring first half of the game.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:OU is playing like Kansas...Texas is impersonating Texas Tech..... Baylor is still learning how to count to IX.....TCU is a work in progress at Gas Monkey Garage

I went to that game. The insults came out of nowhere and it was relentless throughout the performance - there was even an announcer that made jokes in between each song. That halftime show made up for the boring first half of the game.
The MOB does "Un-Politically Correct" satire at all if it's performances...If they were playing UH, The City of Houston and UH are fair game !!!!...back in the day I used to go to several Rice games a year, Tommy Kramer was the QB... sat in the North end zone, there is a Athletic building in that section now.... "The Announcer" is part of the Band Directors Staff and has a script for each performance to really punctuate the bands on field show
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
sader24
Tsunami

I've been saying this for months on here. Tx AM really opened up Houston and East Texas to the SEC. The addition of TCU and the rise of Baylor has allowed those schools to challenge Texas and Oklahoma in Dallas. Oklahoma has to have talent from Texas to be a Top 10 program and there are more schools than ever competing for that talent. From a strictly recruiting standpoint the smart move is Tulane, Cincy, South Florida and Central Florida. That opens up Louisiana, Ohio, and Florida to Oklahoma and Texas. Adding Houston would only elevate Houstons ability to recruit Houston further hurting Texas and the Oklahomas. Then Texas or OK should hire Tom Hermann.
Bearwave
High Tide

golfnut69 wrote:
OU is playing like Kansas...Texas is impersonating Texas Tech..... Baylor is still learning how to count to IX.....TCU is a work in progress at Gas Monkey Garage

Well they know how to win that many games, can't say that for Tuhlane.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bearwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

No. Briles knows how to win many games--we will now see if Baylor does. The Bears will probably revert back to their mean. In the meantime, the felony stats just keep growing among their athletic program. If the Big XII does implode, what are the chances that any conference, including the Big XII orphans, would have any interest in Baylor's crime ridden past?
Last edited by HoustonWave on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bearwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

BearWave....keep calm....the world has become so "politically correct" that many have lost their sense of humor or the ability to laugh at oneself, or organization...nothing was meant personally, and if Baylor itself had taken care of business like it should have, this would have been a non topic. I went to a UH - Rice game and the MOB did a number using the Cougar High theme...Tulane played there and they did a number about the "hookers" in the Quarter
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
Bearwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

BearWave....keep calm....the world has become so "politically correct" that many have lost their sense of humor or the ability to laugh at oneself, or organization...nothing was meant personally, and if Baylor itself had taken care of business like it should have, this would have been a non topic. I went to a UH - Rice game and the MOB did a number using the Cougar High theme...Tulane played there and they did a number about the "hookers" in the Quarter
It's just the MOB--they've always been this way, and probably always will. And anyone and everyone is a target.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The MOB does not have many members, they have to do something that is unique...Stanford to a degree does the same thing....maybe Tulane needs to take note
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
I think I read somewhere they have no one in the Top15 for the first time since BCS started.

As for OOC games, I did a quick breakdown:

Big 12 vs:
P5 3-6
G5 6-4
P5+G5 = 9-10 .474 winning pct
FCS 6-1
TOTAL OOC = 15-11 .577 winning pct.

AAC vs:
P5 6-7
G5 3-1
P5+G5 = 9-8 .529 winning pct
FCS 12-0
TOTAL OOC = 21-8 .724 winning pct.

ACC vs:
P5 5-5
G5 7-3
P5+G5 = 12-8 .600 winning pct
FCS 11-1
TOTAL OOC = 23-9 .719 winning pct.

AAC looks more like a P5 than a G5.
R- I know we would all like the AAC to become a P6 but it's just not there. Despite all the hoopla last year only one team was ranked at seasons end and that same team is the only one ranked this year. As for those stats they don't contain any team names. I think all agree beating Kansas isn't the same as beating ND and so on. Most of us lament teams like Kansas and Iowa State being given P5 status so we can't turn around and say beating them shows we are P5.
RobertM320
Green Wave

But on the flip side, they can't turn around and say the AAC isn't good enough to be considered a power conference when 50% or more of the current P5 members aren't any better than any AAC team.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:R- I know we would all like the AAC to become a P6 but it's just not there. Despite all the hoopla last year only one team was ranked at seasons end and that same team is the only one ranked this year. As for those stats they don't contain any team names. I think all agree beating Kansas isn't the same as beating ND and so on. Most of us lament teams like Kansas and Iowa State being given P5 status so we can't turn around and say beating them shows we are P5.
To be fair, Navy and Houston were ranked in the final 2015 AP poll, and had the AAC managed to win some of the bowl games, more teams would have been ranked (i.e. Temple/USF/Memphis). As for the 2016 season, there are several teams that appear to be trending in that direction, but it depends on how things shake out in conference and non-conference play (Navy/Memphis/Tulsa/USF/Cincinnati). For example, if USF wins this weekend - which is a distinct possibility - it will be ranked on Sunday.

All of that being said, I agree about the P6 thing but only because it doesn't matter who the AAC beats - being designated as an access conference is what matters when it comes to "power". Unless the NCAA/P5s/government gets involved in decide to give the AAC access, it doesn't matter. In theory, one could argue that the AAC could eventually force that discussion by consistently winning over several years and then point at its results, but that ignores the weight given to power teams in the preseason polls. For example, it made little sense for USF to not be ranked this preseason.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:But on the flip side, they can't turn around and say the AAC isn't good enough to be considered a power conference when 50% or more of the current P5 members aren't any better than any AAC team.
Houston is hot right now but the AAC does not have one marquee program. That's what makes all the P5's.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:R- I know we would all like the AAC to become a P6 but it's just not there. Despite all the hoopla last year only one team was ranked at seasons end and that same team is the only one ranked this year. As for those stats they don't contain any team names. I think all agree beating Kansas isn't the same as beating ND and so on. Most of us lament teams like Kansas and Iowa State being given P5 status so we can't turn around and say beating them shows we are P5.
To be fair, Navy and Houston were ranked in the final 2015 AP poll, and had the AAC managed to win some of the bowl games, more teams would have been ranked (i.e. Temple/USF/Memphis). As for the 2016 season, there are several teams that appear to be trending in that direction, but it depends on how things shake out in conference and non-conference play (Navy/Memphis/Tulsa/USF/Cincinnati). For example, if USF wins this weekend - which is a distinct possibility - it will be ranked on Sunday.

All of that being said, I agree about the P6 thing but only because it doesn't matter who the AAC beats - being designated as an access conference is what matters when it comes to "power". Unless the NCAA/P5s/government gets involved in decide to give the AAC access, it doesn't matter. In theory, one could argue that the AAC could eventually force that discussion by consistently winning over several years and then point at its results, but that ignores the weight given to power teams in the preseason polls. For example, it made little sense for USF to not be ranked this preseason.
Houston was the only one ranked in the last poll of 2015. The fact is they didn't win those minor Bowl games so they didn't end up ranked.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Navy was ranked in the final 2015 AP poll (#18). Which poll are you talking about?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Just checked. So it was two teams.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

I don't think they will give access to the AAC, no matter how often we beat P5 teams. The stronger P5 teams already know that several of the G5 teams (especially AAC teams) are better than many of the P5 laggards. But they aren't going to risk another playoff spot by giving access to a 6th conference. The better P5s have already locked up the big money, and now their primary focus is getting into the Playoff Four. With one P5 conference already left out each year I don't see any way they are going to risk another playoff spot by giving access to the AAC. If they eventually expand the playoff to eight teams, then the AAC might have a shot at access, but until then, no way.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:But on the flip side, they can't turn around and say the AAC isn't good enough to be considered a power conference when 50% or more of the current P5 members aren't any better than any AAC team.
Houston is hot right now but the AAC does not have one marquee program. That's what makes all the P5's.
We don't have a marquee program, BECAUSE we're not a P5 conference. Before they were members of P5 conferences, Louisville, TCU, Virginia Tech, etc, weren't marquee programs. Take a look at the schools that were with us at one point in the Metro conference. Any school that was in that conference wasn't a marquee school. But you include : Louisville, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Georgia Tech. UConn would be considered a marquee program IF they were still in the Big East and it was a P5 conference. Its all about perception.
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

I don't think they will give access to the AAC, no matter how often we beat P5 teams. The stronger P5 teams already know that several of the G5 teams (especially AAC teams) are better than many of the P5 laggards. But they aren't going to risk another playoff spot by giving access to a 6th conference. The better P5s have already locked up the big money, and now their primary focus is getting into the Playoff Four. With one P5 conference already left out each year I don't see any way they are going to risk another playoff spot by giving access to the AAC. If they eventually expand the playoff to eight teams, then the AAC might have a shot at access, but until then, no way.
Unless you get to a point where the AAC were to become so dominant that you'd have a case for discrimination or antitrust issues.