Big XII Expansion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6005
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:19 pm

6 full time coaches on the UH staff are coaching through the bowl game including the O and both D coordinators. But I agree, it's bush league to leave as an assistant until the bowl game. Yes, Herman needs to be recruiting at UT, but there's a lot they can do behind the scenes without abandoning the University and kids that got them their next job.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7589
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:55 pm

DfromCT wrote:6 full time coaches on the UH staff are coaching through the bowl game including the O and both D coordinators. But I agree, it's bush league to leave as an assistant until the bowl game. Yes, Herman needs to be recruiting at UT, but there's a lot they can do behind the scenes without abandoning the University and kids that got them their next job.
I think the Grad Assistants are coaching both lines...are they considered full time ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6005
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:40 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:6 full time coaches on the UH staff are coaching through the bowl game including the O and both D coordinators. But I agree, it's bush league to leave as an assistant until the bowl game. Yes, Herman needs to be recruiting at UT, but there's a lot they can do behind the scenes without abandoning the University and kids that got them their next job.
I think the Grad Assistants are coaching both lines...are they considered full time ?
I don't know, but wouldn't think so.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7589
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:42 pm

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:6 full time coaches on the UH staff are coaching through the bowl game including the O and both D coordinators. But I agree, it's bush league to leave as an assistant until the bowl game. Yes, Herman needs to be recruiting at UT, but there's a lot they can do behind the scenes without abandoning the University and kids that got them their next job.
I think the Grad Assistants are coaching both lines...are they considered full time ?
I don't know, but wouldn't think so.
I posted this link earlier...Grad assistnats in charge of both lines and Line Backers
http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/art ... 642716.php
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Ruski
Surge
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:56 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
Ruski wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Houston board of regents chairman Tilman Fertitta calls Big 12 expansion "one of the greatest shams in college period"
Angry they stole Herman.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... tom-herman
And Fritz is playing the game. He's offered two of Houston's commits already.
Which ones?

That's four so far.... And there's not really anyone at Houston to try and keep them committed. Most of the staff joined Herman at UT immediately. They won't even be coaching the bowl game. Games going to be coached by a few stragglers and some graduate assistants. Cougars got royally screwed.
Thanks. Very happy to see Fritz being proactive. In years past Tulane coaches would've missed the opportunity. I see they have a WR out of Brother Martin on their commit list, hopefully Fritz makes a run at him.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17661
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:36 am

More reason Tulane needs a Big XII invite.
https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... ed-orgeron
LSU's Orgeron successfully blocks Texas from Louisiana
The satellite camp power struggle between Texas and LSU has swung back in the Tigers' favor as of late Tuesday evening. After several developments, LSU appears to have successfully boxed Texas out of Louisiana. Texas was scheduled to participate in a satellite camp hosted by Division III Belhaven University, first in Baton Rouge and then later in Hammond, La., on Thursday. By late Tuesday evening, Belhaven head coach Hal Mumme said political pressure from LSU ultimately led to the camp being canceled.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7589
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:52 am

tpstulane wrote:More reason Tulane needs a Big XII invite.
https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... ed-orgeron
LSU's Orgeron successfully blocks Texas from Louisiana
The satellite camp power struggle between Texas and LSU has swung back in the Tigers' favor as of late Tuesday evening. After several developments, LSU appears to have successfully boxed Texas out of Louisiana. Texas was scheduled to participate in a satellite camp hosted by Division III Belhaven University, first in Baton Rouge and then later in Hammond, La., on Thursday. By late Tuesday evening, Belhaven head coach Hal Mumme said political pressure from LSU ultimately led to the camp being canceled.
The Sad Part...Bellhaven most probably has the better Coach !!!!....Hell UT does not need anyone from Louisiana, more than enuff quality athletes inside the State of Texas, however I have noted that LSU seems to need players from Texas, I think there were 15 on LSU roster last year...If TD had any balls he would set up camps with UT, TA&M, OU and when LSU bitched, I would ask, ok LSU how much is it worth for us not to host these camps...if Tulane wants Big 12 exposure, I would be making the calls today !!!!
Last edited by golfnut69 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17661
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:06 am

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:More reason Tulane needs a Big XII invite.
https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... ed-orgeron
LSU's Orgeron successfully blocks Texas from Louisiana
The satellite camp power struggle between Texas and LSU has swung back in the Tigers' favor as of late Tuesday evening. After several developments, LSU appears to have successfully boxed Texas out of Louisiana. Texas was scheduled to participate in a satellite camp hosted by Division III Belhaven University, first in Baton Rouge and then later in Hammond, La., on Thursday. By late Tuesday evening, Belhaven head coach Hal Mumme said political pressure from LSU ultimately led to the camp being canceled.
The Sad Part...Bellhaven most probably has the better Coach !!!!....Hell UT does not need anyone from Louisiana, more than enuff quality athletes inside the State of Texas, however I have noted that LSU seems to need players from Texas, I think there were 15 on LSU roster last year...Id TD had any balls he would set up camps with UT, TA&M, OU and when LSU bitched, I would ask, ok LSU how much is it worth for us not to host these camps...if Tulane wants Big 12 exposure, I would be making the calls today !!!!
Yep
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7589
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:38 am

Here is when Tulane needs to apply the "reverse osmosis political method" into effect...Bellhaven caved to political pressure...Coach O you do not want OU, OSU, UT here in NOLA...no problem, you dictate to the NOLA politicans to waive all height restrictions in regards to my west side stadium renovation and the new Athletic complex that will be built...other than that..Tulane welcomes Lincoln Riley, Mike Gundy, Tom Herrman...it is time for some serious "hardball' and DO NOT contact any of the baseball coach's regarding hardball, they will be of zero assistance, especially the pitching coach
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3824
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:33 pm

If Tulane can get LSU's leftovers instead of them being poached by out of state schools then its an improvement in talent already.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:51 pm

JerseyWave wrote:If Tulane can get LSU's leftovers instead of them being poached by out of state schools then its an improvement in talent already.
If Tulane took all of the 3* players that go the ULL, LaTech, and ULM it would be more than fine in terms of talent, and that doesn't even take into account all of the players that leave.

In terms of LSU boxing other programs out, it probably told the high school coaches to blacklist any university that hosts an out of state program (i.e. steer recruits and their families away from it). Tulane's already irrelevant instate as Fritz's first class showed, so, even if that is what happened, Tulane had almost nothing to lose.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17661
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:09 pm

The plot thickens. Mumme reports LSU to NCAA for blocking.
http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/ ... e_home_pop
Mumme argued the tactics used by Orgeron and LSU to block his camp because of Texas' expected attendance would only hurt prospects not on the radar of Power Five schools.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7589
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:22 am

tpstulane wrote:The plot thickens. Mumme reports LSU to NCAA for blocking.
http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/ ... e_home_pop
Mumme argued the tactics used by Orgeron and LSU to block his camp because of Texas' expected attendance would only hurt prospects not on the radar of Power Five schools.
Coach O has made the ESPN headlines as the John Thompson and "Hoya Panoria" of College Football...truly a man afraid of his own shadow, or his inept coaching !!!!

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... lite-camps
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12008
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:24 am

We have a thread on the camp issue:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9555&p=161642&hilit ... mp#p161642
Find A Way!
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7589
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:51 am

tpstulane wrote:The plot thickens. Mumme reports LSU to NCAA for blocking.
http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/ ... e_home_pop
Mumme argued the tactics used by Orgeron and LSU to block his camp because of Texas' expected attendance would only hurt prospects not on the radar of Power Five schools.
the SI take
https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... ed-orgeron
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17661
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:38 pm

The Florida House now pushing UCF and USF for Big 12.
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/america ... -expansion
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6005
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:22 pm

tpstulane wrote:The Florida House now pushing UCF and USF for Big 12.
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/america ... -expansion
A single member of the Florida House of Representatives wrote a letter to the Big 12. That doesn't mean that the Florida House of Representatives is making some sort of push. At least not yet! There's some good reasons that they would be considered and other reasons against their admission, as we've discussed till the cows come home.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2665
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:51 am

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:The Florida House now pushing UCF and USF for Big 12.
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/america ... -expansion
A single member of the Florida House of Representatives wrote a letter to the Big 12. That doesn't mean that the Florida House of Representatives is making some sort of push. At least not yet! There's some good reasons that they would be considered and other reasons against their admission, as we've discussed till the cows come home.
Also unclear what influence the Florida legislature would have over Big 12 members. And the Big 12 just had their tv contract extended. We have at least another 5 years before this comes up again in any real way.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17661
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 am

OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:The Florida House now pushing UCF and USF for Big 12.
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/america ... -expansion
A single member of the Florida House of Representatives wrote a letter to the Big 12. That doesn't mean that the Florida House of Representatives is making some sort of push. At least not yet! There's some good reasons that they would be considered and other reasons against their admission, as we've discussed till the cows come home.
Also unclear what influence the Florida legislature would have over Big 12 members. And the Big 12 just had their tv contract extended. We have at least another 5 years before this comes up again in any real way.
Actually the timing is perfect. Considering UCF went 13-0 and was denied access to the playoff just because of their conference affiliation. If the AAC was part of the P5/6 or had UCF made the playoff this wouldn’t be up for discussion. Even if it goes nowhere it’s actually good to bring it to the forefront once again.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6005
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:05 am

It would be better if there was talk of forcing the AAC to be recognized as the sixth "Power" conference.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6421
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:35 am

I posted this on twitter yesterday. The media says we're not a power conference, but when they vote for Top 25, AAC is comparable to other power conferences. Think about it. If media didn't feel a #16 USF team was better than a #18 Virginia Tech team, would they rank them that high? No. So when all is said and done, the AAC has great teams and bottom feeders, just like the rest of the power conferences.

"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17661
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:23 am

DfromCT wrote:It would be better if there was talk of forcing the AAC to be recognized as the sixth "Power" conference.
For sure. Can only hope it could lead to that.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12008
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:49 am

For the conference to become a P6 it needs to have several years of having at least 3 teams finish in the top 25. Like this year it will require it to win the G5 spot in the Bowl games every year too. In addition it needs those top teams to beef of their OOC schedules so they can really have something to hang their hat on.
Find A Way!
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1591
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:05 pm

winwave wrote:For the conference to become a P6 it needs to have several years of having at least 3 teams finish in the top 25. Like this year it will require it to win the G5 spot in the Bowl games every year too. In addition it needs those top teams to beef of their OOC schedules so they can really have something to hang their hat on.
What a catch-22. G5s are handicapped when it comes to recruiting (in the sense that most highly ranked recruits want to play for P5s) but must compete with P5s if they are ever to be considered as a competitive equal.
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:29 pm

winwave wrote:For the conference to become a P6 it needs to have several years of having at least 3 teams finish in the top 25. Like this year it will require it to win the G5 spot in the Bowl games every year too. In addition it needs those top teams to beef of their OOC schedules so they can really have something to hang their hat on.
Beyond the on-field performance--which is getting close to being what it needs to be. In order to be considered a P6, the AAC will have to show it can put fannies in the seats and generate a strong TV following. The whole P5 thing is primarily about fan support and money. The P5 parasites (conference laggards) are in because of legacy issues--and I'm not sure how long that will last. Eventually, I think the P5 conferences will start to allocate revenue in a manner that will make the P5 parasites start to feel more like G5 programs. Instead of wins, it's really about how much a school spends on its athletic programs--especially football.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Post Reply