Big XII Expansion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:I'm hoping there is no expansion because...

1. Can't trust that Texas and Oklahoma are committed to the Big 12 long term, they could be a package deal to the Big10, PAC 12, or SEC
2. Tulane is most likely on the outside looking in
3. Buys time for Dannen and his coaches to continue improving Tulane's athletic competitiveness and brand
4. If the AAC holds together in its current format with many of the programs on the way up it could become a P6 conference.

Imagine if C-USA of the early 2000s held together......Louisville, TCU, Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, East Carolina, etc would have been a very strong Football/Basketball conference. The longer the AAC stays together, the stronger the conference will become.
Also true of the old Metro: Louisville, Memphis, South Carolina, Va Tech, Tulane, Florida State, Cincy, and Ga. Tech. They actually had discussions about including football, but it never got off the ground. You could have built a really good conference around those eight.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:This week will tell just how powerful on the filed the Big 12 really is...UT travels to Berkely to play an average Cal team and The Ohio State U,not to be confused with that powerhouse "Ohio" team that raided the Big 12 last week travels to scenic Norman...La Tech should score some points in Lubbock...and Okie State plays the Pitt Panthers, who will be really high or really average after beating Jo Pa U
But can Okie State recover from it's thrashing at the hands of MAC powerhouse Central Michigan, at home?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:I'm hoping there is no expansion because...

1. Can't trust that Texas and Oklahoma are committed to the Big 12 long term, they could be a package deal to the Big10, PAC 12, or SEC
2. Tulane is most likely on the outside looking in
3. Buys time for Dannen and his coaches to continue improving Tulane's athletic competitiveness and brand
4. If the AAC holds together in its current format with many of the programs on the way up it could become a P6 conference.

Imagine if C-USA of the early 2000s held together......Louisville, TCU, Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, East Carolina, etc would have been a very strong Football/Basketball conference. The longer the AAC stays together, the stronger the conference will become.
Also true of the old Metro: Louisville, Memphis, South Carolina, Va Tech, Tulane, Florida State, Cincy, and Ga. Tech. They actually had discussions about including football, but it never got off the ground. You could have built a really good conference around those eight.
Yep. Everyone agreed but Louisville.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

n/m (edited because of a remarkable lapse in reading comprehension)
God Bless Everyone!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote:n/m (edited because of a remarkable lapse in reading comprehension)
Don't let that stop you--we all suffer from that from time to time.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

I'm pretty sure we have more analysis on this subject than any blogger/reporter and we are at the same conclusion we were at when this started: Tulane still has a chance at becoming P5. Roll wave!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:I'm pretty sure we have more analysis on this subject than any blogger/reporter and we are at the same conclusion we were at when this started: Tulane still has a chance at becoming P5. Roll wave!
No when we started almost everyone who posted here regularly thought that Tulane had a better chance of beating Alabama on a neutral field than being invited to a P5. And, as always, we found out that Tulane fans had been beaten into submission to the point where they didn't even realize the potential for Tulane Athletics, had we done anything at all in the last 15+ years. So at a minimum this process has opened up eyes to the potential for Tulane Athletics, even if most still don't quite grasp it.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:I'm pretty sure we have more analysis on this subject than any blogger/reporter and we are at the same conclusion we were at when this started: Tulane still has a chance at becoming P5. Roll wave!
Pretty much. Well that and Tulane doesn't appear to be competitive in any P5 two team expansions.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Pretty much. Well that and Tulane doesn't appear to be competitive in any P5 two team expansions.
Oddly enough, we have survived being in the mix long enough to where our chances, in a two team Big XII expansion, may have gone up given the Cincy vs UH (really OU vs UT) gridlock. If the Big XII wants any expansion, to save face, and still want BYU, we could well be the 12th--with our most likely threat being Air Force. It's looking more and more as though any four team expansion will depend on whether OU and UT can strike a compromise on UH and Cincy.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:Oddly enough, we have survived being in the mix long enough to where our chances, in a two team Big XII expansion, may have gone up given the Cincy vs UH (really OU vs UT) gridlock. If the Big XII wants any expansion, to save face, and still want BYU, we could well be the 12th--with our most likely threat being Air Force. It's looking more and more as though any four team expansion will depend on whether OU and UT can strike a compromise on UH and Cincy.
In my heart, I would like to believe that. However, if the conference can't find 8 votes for either Cincinnati or UConn, it seems unlikely that they would find 8 votes for Tulane or anyone else beyond BYU. That being said, I fully agree that if the Big 12 decides that it's going to expand, BYU has the 8+ votes, and Cincinnati still can't get the 8 votes, Air Force becomes a real factor.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:Oddly enough, we have survived being in the mix long enough to where our chances, in a two team Big XII expansion, may have gone up given the Cincy vs UH (really OU vs UT) gridlock. If the Big XII wants any expansion, to save face, and still want BYU, we could well be the 12th--with our most likely threat being Air Force. It's looking more and more as though any four team expansion will depend on whether OU and UT can strike a compromise on UH and Cincy.
In my heart, I would like to believe that. However, if the conference can't find 8 votes for either Cincinnati or UConn, it seems unlikely that they would find 8 votes for Tulane or anyone else beyond BYU. That being said, I fully agree that if the Big 12 decides that it's going to expand, BYU has the 8+ votes, and Cincinnati still can't get the 8 votes, Air Force becomes a real factor.
We got four things that Cincy and UConn don't: geographic proximity, Academics, N.O., and SEC recruiting turf. We have the later two, plus non-football sports over Air Force. We can only hope.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
No when we started almost everyone who posted here regularly thought that Tulane had a better chance of beating Alabama on a neutral field than being invited to a P5. And, as always, we found out that Tulane fans had been beaten into submission to the point where they didn't even realize the potential for Tulane Athletics, had we done anything at all in the last 15+ years. So at a minimum this process has opened up eyes to the potential for Tulane Athletics, even if most still don't quite grasp it.
To your point. I heard a funny story last night. One of our fans attended a wedding last weekend so he had to miss the Southern game. He was checking scores on his phone. He couldn't believe the first half scoring. He tells his daughter "can you believe it's 49-7 at half", her response was "oh no poor Tulane". True story!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:We got four things that Cincy and UConn don't: geographic proximity, Academics, N.O., and SEC recruiting turf. We have the later two, plus non-football sports over Air Force. We can only hope.
That's true - if only they could just pull the trigger on Cincinnati and Tulane and call it a day. According to the study at the link below, both Ohio and Louisiana are ranked in the top 7 states that provided the most FBS recruits from 2008-2013 (not per capital - actual % of all FBS recruits), and that would do absolute wonders for recruiting for the non-Texas Big 12 schools if they just added those two programs, and that's not even accounting for the gradual negative impacts on B1G and SEC recruiting in those states.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/9 ... ia-florida
RobertM320
Green Wave

I think that gradual negative impact is a very understated thing. Most people dont realize how much even a few recruits per year taken away from a school can affect things long term. For instance, a relevant Tulane in a P5 would probably mean LSU would never be NC contenders again. If you take two top players from each recruiting class, that means 10 players over a 5 year period that LSU no longer has. You replace 12% of their roster with lesser players, their no longer a contender.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

from the DFW paper...already used my free look in's so some body or someone post a review

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college ... ll-pr-mess
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
We got four things that Cincy and UConn don't: geographic proximity, Academics, N.O., and SEC recruiting turf. We have the later two, plus non-football sports over Air Force. We can only hope.
I reall don't think UConn is a good fit the Big 12. That being said, UConn academics are not that far from Tulane, and are every bit the equal of UT. Geography is the worst thing going against UConn, including the fact that it's not in a recruiting hotbed. So I'd say we have three things that UConn doesn't have and four things that Cincinnati doesn't have.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:from the DFW paper...already used my free look in's so some body or someone post a review

It's a chat similar to the one NOLA.com put on with the Tulane beat writer. The only points of any substance I found were already mentioned on this forum and elsewhere, but I'll repeat them: 1. The University Presidents view expansion candidates differently than Coaches, Athletics Directors, and fans do. 2. After two years of talking, consultants, more discussions and venting expansion candidates, it would be a public relations nightmare for the Big 12 not to expand. 3. There's a lot of friction between the Texas vs. Non-Texas schools about who should be added. 4. We might found out who's invited in mid October. Maybe by year end, or maybe never.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:from the DFW paper...already used my free look in's so some body or someone post a review

It's a chat similar to the one NOLA.com put on with the Tulane beat writer. The only points of any substance I found were already mentioned on this forum and elsewhere, but I'll repeat them: 1. The University Presidents view expansion candidates differently than Coaches, Athletics Directors, and fans do. 2. After two years of talking, consultants, more discussions and venting expansion candidates, it would be a public relations nightmare for the Big 12 not to expand. 3. There's a lot of friction between the Texas vs. Non-Texas schools about who should be added. 4. We might found out who's invited in mid October. Maybe by year end, or maybe never.
I LMAO at the non Texas school's having an Issue with UT...just what the hell did you think you were getting into when you caused the collapse of the SWC...Karma's a Bitch
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I LMAO at the non Texas school's having an Issue with UT...just what the hell did you think you were getting into when you caused the collapse of the SWC...Karma's a Bitch
So true.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:I think that gradual negative impact is a very understated thing. Most people dont realize how much even a few recruits per year taken away from a school can affect things long term. For instance, a relevant Tulane in a P5 would probably mean LSU would never be NC contenders again. If you take two top players from each recruiting class, that means 10 players over a 5 year period that LSU no longer has. You replace 12% of their roster with lesser players, their no longer a contender.
And that's precisely why the LSUers sit in silent terror at even the notion of Tulane getting into a P5. Sadly, it's also a key reason why the Louisiana media either acts like nothing is happening, or write derogatory articles about how Tulane "isn't ready for prime time". All in fear of their Tigers becoming much less relevant.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:I think that gradual negative impact is a very understated thing. Most people dont realize how much even a few recruits per year taken away from a school can affect things long term. For instance, a relevant Tulane in a P5 would probably mean LSU would never be NC contenders again. If you take two top players from each recruiting class, that means 10 players over a 5 year period that LSU no longer has. You replace 12% of their roster with lesser players, their no longer a contender.
Maybe, but I think it's more likely we take away players from interlopers like Texas A&M and the like. LSU has to recruit out of state anyway to contend for a NC. La doesn't have the quality and depth of linemen.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I agree we'd take some from A&M, Kansas, Texas Tech, some of the guys that passed over us for P5 offers. But I also think there's going to be kids who wanted to stay home and play P5. Guys like Lindsey Scott. We'll take one or two of those per year. Over time, that has an affect on LSUs skill position players. Just because you have a big massive O-Line doesn't win you games.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I agree that having the Big 12 in New Orleans might take 10 players over a 5 year span away from LSU. Of those 10, probably 4-6 would have been significant contributors. With the 85 scholarship players, 10 "grey shirts" and 3-4 walk ons, that's close to 100 players in a player pool to step up and contribute. I think most good programs can overcome the loss of those ten recruits. There are plenty of top programs that compete year to year with more competition for recruits than LSU has. For example, Alabama has Auburn, South Carolina has Clemson, USC and UCLA have each other in the same market.

I think LSU and LSU fans don't want Tulane to get into a P5 simply because they fear the possibility that Tulane once again becomes relevant. They like being the only big fish in the pond.
RobertM320
Green Wave

That's 10% of their roster. I didn't say they wouldn't be competitive, but I don't think they'd be perennial NC contenders like Ohio State, Alabama, etc. They'd still be good, but not NC good.