Big XII Expansion

User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 5897
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby RobertM320 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Then, on the other hand, suppose they only go to 12 for now? They at least already have in hand all that any possible school could have to offer. They come back in a few years to go to 14, or 16, or need to replace Texas or OU, they already have an idea of who to approach and it wouldn't take long at all.


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini

anEngineer
Low Tide
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby anEngineer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:19 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:So, it looks like UNLV reached out to the Big 12, so the total number of candidates in auditioning for the Big 12 is up to at least 19.


It's getting ridiculous--like a shelter for the homeless. The Big XII should have controlled this better, by inviting proposals from selected schools. This cast call approach makes it look like there has been little forethought on their part, and that they really don't care who they add--as long as they get the additional TV bucks. On the other hand, if they have given this a lot of thought, and have a short list, then this whole process is a charade and a lot of schools are being put through the "process" needlessly.


This is ridiculous. Soliciting proposals from so many makes the conference look cheap, like they are looking to see who is going to offer the biggest bribe. It makes no sense to say they will use it for future reference because conditions can change over short times. I fully expect Tulane to be in a stronger position 2 years from now than today. It's a lot of wasted resources and time for many in somewhat of a PR stunt.



User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2609
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby OUG » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:12 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:So, it looks like UNLV reached out to the Big 12, so the total number of candidates in auditioning for the Big 12 is up to at least 19.


It's getting ridiculous--like a shelter for the homeless. The Big XII should have controlled this better, by inviting proposals from selected schools. This cast call approach makes it look like there has been little forethought on their part, and that they really don't care who they add--as long as they get the additional TV bucks. On the other hand, if they have given this a lot of thought, and have a short list, then this whole process is a charade and a lot of schools are being put through the "process" needlessly.


But it's also good PR for the schools to say they are being considered.



jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby jonathanjoseph » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:49 pm

anEngineer wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:So, it looks like UNLV reached out to the Big 12, so the total number of candidates in auditioning for the Big 12 is up to at least 19.


It's getting ridiculous--like a shelter for the homeless. The Big XII should have controlled this better, by inviting proposals from selected schools. This cast call approach makes it look like there has been little forethought on their part, and that they really don't care who they add--as long as they get the additional TV bucks. On the other hand, if they have given this a lot of thought, and have a short list, then this whole process is a charade and a lot of schools are being put through the "process" needlessly.


This is ridiculous. Soliciting proposals from so many makes the conference look cheap, like they are looking to see who is going to offer the biggest bribe. It makes no sense to say they will use it for future reference because conditions can change over short times. I fully expect Tulane to be in a stronger position 2 years from now than today. It's a lot of wasted resources and time for many in somewhat of a PR stunt.


+1 to both these posts. The Big 12 proves how you can succeed in spite of yourself. What a mess.



Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:10 pm

Some news outlets are reporting that the Big 12 is willing to interview any programs that are interested, and there is at least some respectability in doing that.

Also, it looks like even Urber Meyer is supporting Cincinnati to the Big 12, and it's looking more and more likely that it would be difficult for the conference to expand by two and leave Cincinnati out.



golfnut69
Tsunami
Posts: 6994
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby golfnut69 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:14 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:So, it looks like UNLV reached out to the Big 12, so the total number of candidates in auditioning for the Big 12 is up to at least 19.


It's getting ridiculous--like a shelter for the homeless. The Big XII should have controlled this better, by inviting proposals from selected schools. This cast call approach makes it look like there has been little forethought on their part, and that they really don't care who they add--as long as they get the additional TV bucks. On the other hand, if they have given this a lot of thought, and have a short list, then this whole process is a charade and a lot of schools are being put through the "process" needlessly.


A big plus one !!!!...The Big 12 is like the girl at the bar who has a drink purchased by a man..after a few cocktails the man ask if she would sleep with him for a million dollars...of course she says yes, then it's half of a million again the answer is yes..this goes on for awhile to where it is finally 1,000.00 dollars, she gets pissed and says "what kind of a girl do you think I am " ?....he replies..."we know what kind, we are just negotiating the price"...of course this would never happen at Sports Beat on a Thursday nite !!!!


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

golfnut69
Tsunami
Posts: 6994
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby golfnut69 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:16 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Some news outlets are reporting that the Big 12 is willing to interview any programs that are interested, and there is at least some respectability in doing that.

Also, it looks like even Urber Meyer is supporting Cincinnati to the Big 12, and it's looking more and more likely that it would be difficult for the conference to expand by two and leave Cincinnati out.


Cincy needs to kiss the Urban Legend's ass !!!!...because ole Tommy Tuberville is not well respected by the Coach's and many AD's here in Big 12 country


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 5897
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby RobertM320 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:21 pm

See? There's no reason for the Big12 to take Houston. They can play there any time they want to. :mrgreen:

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN Aug 11
Texas Tech, Ole Miss have agreed to open 2018 season in Houston, sources told @ESPN


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini

golfnut69
Tsunami
Posts: 6994
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby golfnut69 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:16 am

The ESPN link to the Urban legends endorsement...please read the comments section

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/ ... the-big-12


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

More ESPN Hate of Tulane

Postby nawlinspete » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:09 am

Minutes ago Crabtree joined the ESPN anti Tulane chorus by chortling how Tulane, deep in the heart of BIG XII country, will add nothing as a member.

ESPN and its mickey mouse mentality must be exorcised.


Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience

dpm wave
Surge
Posts: 891
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:43 pm
Status: Offline

Re: More ESPN Hate of Tulane

Postby dpm wave » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:13 am

phpBB [video]



User avatar
msdos
Swell
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm
Status: Offline

Re: More ESPN Hate of Tulane

Postby msdos » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:30 am

We've been on ESPN for 2-3 years now, so they have the data on how Tulane games perform numbers-wise. It's probably pretty pathetic.

I'd say from ESPN's standpoint, we don't bring much to the table, so of course they'll be spouting that on their shows.



HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Re: More ESPN Hate of Tulane

Postby HoustonWave » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:38 am

msdos wrote:We've been on ESPN for 2-3 years now, so they have the data on how Tulane games perform numbers-wise. It's probably pretty pathetic.

I'd say from ESPN's standpoint, we don't bring much to the table, so of course they'll be spouting that on their shows.


We need to reach for the sympathy card, explain to ESPN that we are wrestling with post traumatic stress from 18 years of Cowenism. The last 18 years was just a nightmare, ignore it, play like it didn't happen. Our application to the Big XII should be evaluated against the 1998 season. ESPN and the Big XII needs to focus on the fact that even after Katrina and Cowen--damn it, we're still standing!!!!


Tulane is the University of Louisiana

mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5094
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Re: More ESPN Hate of Tulane

Postby mbawavefan12 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:44 am

HoustonWave wrote:
msdos wrote:We've been on ESPN for 2-3 years now, so they have the data on how Tulane games perform numbers-wise. It's probably pretty pathetic.

I'd say from ESPN's standpoint, we don't bring much to the table, so of course they'll be spouting that on their shows.


We need to reach for the sympathy card, explain to ESPN that we are wrestling with post traumatic stress from 18 years of Cowenism. The last 18 years was just a nightmare, ignore it, play like it didn't happen. Our application to the Big XII should be evaluated against the 1998 season. ESPN and the Big XII needs to focus on the fact that even after Katrina and Cowen--damn it, we're still standing!!!!


So the B12 should throw us $10-15mm out of pity that our board allowed these two buffoons to run the show?

As I said previously, people really need to get a grip, the chances of a B12 invite are extremely remote.



HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Re: More ESPN Hate of Tulane

Postby HoustonWave » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:00 pm

mbawavefan12 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
msdos wrote:We've been on ESPN for 2-3 years now, so they have the data on how Tulane games perform numbers-wise. It's probably pretty pathetic.

I'd say from ESPN's standpoint, we don't bring much to the table, so of course they'll be spouting that on their shows.


We need to reach for the sympathy card, explain to ESPN that we are wrestling with post traumatic stress from 18 years of Cowenism. The last 18 years was just a nightmare, ignore it, play like it didn't happen. Our application to the Big XII should be evaluated against the 1998 season. ESPN and the Big XII needs to focus on the fact that even after Katrina and Cowen--damn it, we're still standing!!!!


So the B12 should throw us $10-15mm out of pity that our board allowed these two buffoons to run the show?

As I said previously, people really need to get a grip, the chances of a B12 invite are extremely remote.


Not out of pity, but out of recognition of what our potential is. The collegiate athletic world knows what a cancer Cowen was--that's why we had to settle for the Toledo's and CJ's of the world. There is no way we could have attracted an AD like Dannen, or coaches like Fritz and Dunleavy, if Cowen had still been running the show. We can only hope that the Big XII sees what Tulane might be now that Cowen has been exorcised from our university.


Tulane is the University of Louisiana

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Re: More ESPN Hate of Tulane

Postby jonathanjoseph » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:20 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
msdos wrote:We've been on ESPN for 2-3 years now, so they have the data on how Tulane games perform numbers-wise. It's probably pretty pathetic.

I'd say from ESPN's standpoint, we don't bring much to the table, so of course they'll be spouting that on their shows.


We need to reach for the sympathy card, explain to ESPN that we are wrestling with post traumatic stress from 18 years of Cowenism. The last 18 years was just a nightmare, ignore it, play like it didn't happen. Our application to the Big XII should be evaluated against the 1998 season. ESPN and the Big XII needs to focus on the fact that even after Katrina and Cowen--damn it, we're still standing!!!!


So the B12 should throw us $10-15mm out of pity that our board allowed these two buffoons to run the show?

As I said previously, people really need to get a grip, the chances of a B12 invite are extremely remote.


Not out of pity, but out of recognition of what our potential is. The collegiate athletic world knows what a cancer Cowen was--that's why we had to settle for the Toledo's and CJ's of the world. There is no way we could have attracted an AD like Dannen, or coaches like Fritz and Dunleavy, if Cowen had still been running the show. We can only hope that the Big XII sees what Tulane might be now that Cowen has been exorcised from our university.


We can be sure that pitch is made effectively, because of Dannen and his relationship with Bowlsby. That relationship and the obvious potential of Tulane athletics is the way to do it.

But there are Cowen/Dickson remnants which we can't easily get rid of. The facilities and the budget look barely Sun Belt level, and those things are very relevant. The pitch needs to include how badly Cowen/Dickson bungled things, but I don't think it will.



User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 5897
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby RobertM320 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:35 pm

Any of you guys that do twitter, try and get over to this site before 6pm CDT. This is that Big12 expansion bracket. We're up against BYU and its only a 3 hr window. Currently they're ahead 51% to 49%. Let see if we can show some support.

https://twitter.com/TheGameKMAN/status/ ... 8793165826


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini

LSUBeau
Trickle
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:13 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby LSUBeau » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:27 pm

Just voted. Now 57% to 43% in favor of the Greenies.



posse
Low Tide
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:59 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby posse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:45 pm

LSUBeau wrote:Just voted. Now 57% to 43% in favor of the Greenies.


BYU 67% TULANE 33%



User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2609
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby OUG » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:16 pm

Do people really care about some random poll on twitter?

Anyway, no, we're not going to get into the Big 12, because they're only taking two. And because all of the reports out there is trending in the opposite direction. We had a shot at first, but it hasn't evolved the way we needed it to. What we needed was a Big 12 that was unified and committed on the idea of a 4-team expansion and that wanted to be proactive. What we are seeing is a conference that has no idea what it wants and is probably going to settle for the lowest common denominator, which is adding the minimum number of schools (2) and picking the schools the networks tell them to add.

It won't impact Tulane much either way. Even if the AAC loses two schools, its not devastating. It's still the strongest G5 conference. I would even favor just adding Army football only and calling it a day, except we can't do that because we'd only have 6 baseball schools, and I don't think we'd be able to keep our conference together for baseball. That's a real problem.



User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 5897
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby RobertM320 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:16 pm

OUG wrote:Do people really care about some random poll on twitter?

Anyway, no, we're not going to get into the Big 12, because they're only taking two. And because all of the reports out there is trending in the opposite direction. We had a shot at first, but it hasn't evolved the way we needed it to. What we needed was a Big 12 that was unified and committed on the idea of a 4-team expansion and that wanted to be proactive. What we are seeing is a conference that has no idea what it wants and is probably going to settle for the lowest common denominator, which is adding the minimum number of schools (2) and picking the schools the networks tell them to add.

It won't impact Tulane much either way. Even if the AAC loses two schools, its not devastating. It's still the strongest G5 conference. I would even favor just adding Army football only and calling it a day, except we can't do that because we'd only have 6 baseball schools, and I don't think we'd be able to keep our conference together for baseball. That's a real problem.


Didn't people say that the more you're team's name is out there, the better? Isn't that one of the reason's cities like to have pro teams? Because of the image it presents of being a pro city? Don't they say that every time the TV shows scores and your city name is there, its like free advertising? Of course no one cares about some random poll on twitter. Its not going to have anything to do with getting us in or not. But wouldn't you rather have been able to say that we had enough support to outlast BYU? Obviously it mattered enough for BYU to broadcast on a local Utah radio station about a Twitter poll that a radio station 4 states away in Kansas was running, in order to get support. In that sense, it does matter.


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby jonathanjoseph » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:09 pm

OUG wrote:Do people really care about some random poll on twitter?

Anyway, no, we're not going to get into the Big 12, because they're only taking two. And because all of the reports out there is trending in the opposite direction. We had a shot at first, but it hasn't evolved the way we needed it to. What we needed was a Big 12 that was unified and committed on the idea of a 4-team expansion and that wanted to be proactive. What we are seeing is a conference that has no idea what it wants and is probably going to settle for the lowest common denominator, which is adding the minimum number of schools (2) and picking the schools the networks tell them to add.

It won't impact Tulane much either way. Even if the AAC loses two schools, its not devastating. It's still the strongest G5 conference. I would even favor just adding Army football only and calling it a day, except we can't do that because we'd only have 6 baseball schools, and I don't think we'd be able to keep our conference together for baseball. That's a real problem.


Yes hopefully everyone knows that this Twitter poll isn't at all relevant.

More importantly, you're correct that the way things are unfolding are not in our favor. The Big 12 is a mess and there's no sense in getting worked up about them doing the right thing. They'll bumble their way through to whatever end.



Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:14 am

Yeah our candidacy is dying for all of the reasons that have been previously discussed:

1. Small fan base/low university enrollment/tiny living alumni numbers (imagine if we had a 25,000 enrollment)
2. One of the worst tv markets/metroplex of the serious expansion candidates (imagine if we were in a top 20 tv market)
3. Disappointing on the field/court performance (imagine if we fielded top 50 programs in those sports)
4. Minimal recruiting impact in our own city/state (re: 1/14 2017 commits is from Louisiana) and frequently losing recruiting battles with teams from lesser G5 conferences (imagine if we had a stranglehold on Louisiana players that didn't commit to LSU/SEC/Big 12)

It's true that we have top 3 academics of the serious expansion candidates (Tulane/UConn/BYU), but that doesn't seem to matter too much since this expansion has been about money since day 1 and we just don't move the needle in that regard, and we have limited potential compared to our expansion competitors that have had more on the field/court success that are located in much larger tv markets and have much higher enrollments.



HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby HoustonWave » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:30 am

posse wrote:
LSUBeau wrote:Just voted. Now 57% to 43% in favor of the Greenies.


BYU 67% TULANE 33%


ESPN staffers must have jumped in at the last minute.


Tulane is the University of Louisiana

HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Big XII Expansion

Postby HoustonWave » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:32 am

RobertM320 wrote:
OUG wrote:Do people really care about some random poll on twitter?

Anyway, no, we're not going to get into the Big 12, because they're only taking two. And because all of the reports out there is trending in the opposite direction. We had a shot at first, but it hasn't evolved the way we needed it to. What we needed was a Big 12 that was unified and committed on the idea of a 4-team expansion and that wanted to be proactive. What we are seeing is a conference that has no idea what it wants and is probably going to settle for the lowest common denominator, which is adding the minimum number of schools (2) and picking the schools the networks tell them to add.

It won't impact Tulane much either way. Even if the AAC loses two schools, its not devastating. It's still the strongest G5 conference. I would even favor just adding Army football only and calling it a day, except we can't do that because we'd only have 6 baseball schools, and I don't think we'd be able to keep our conference together for baseball. That's a real problem.


Didn't people say that the more you're team's name is out there, the better? Isn't that one of the reason's cities like to have pro teams? Because of the image it presents of being a pro city? Don't they say that every time the TV shows scores and your city name is there, its like free advertising? Of course no one cares about some random poll on twitter. Its not going to have anything to do with getting us in or not. But wouldn't you rather have been able to say that we had enough support to outlast BYU? Obviously it mattered enough for BYU to broadcast on a local Utah radio station about a Twitter poll that a radio station 4 states away in Kansas was running, in order to get support. In that sense, it does matter.


I guess the next thing the BYUers will do will be to start sending ribs to the Big XII schools.


Tulane is the University of Louisiana

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests