Big XII Expansion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Bearwave
High Tide

HoustonWave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:That license plate thing can't possibly be true. Not calling you a liar Golf, just saying your observations must be skewed.
jaxwave...I live in metro Austin...once U get away from UT campus and a few older subdivisions and out into the "burbs"...U rarely see a UT plate or sticker....hell even "The Ohio State" decals have begun to appear !!!... We have three cars at my house...two of those have Texas Tech Plates, drive thru my subdivision and U see more A/M, Tech and Baylor flags, decals and plates than UT.... .my wife teach's at Laura Bush Elementary, the schools is literally right across from the University of Texas Golf Course in Stiener Ranch over looking Lake Travis....there are more plates from out of town / state Universities than UT. I have a friend who lives on the 9th fairway at the course, the houses on each side of him have A/M plates and flags the houses across the street have OU, Baylor and Michigan flags ..but come on over to Austin and see for yourself...let me and AusTxwave know when U will be in town...UT will never be what it once was, over exposure, thanks to LHN, has exposed them for what they have actually become, just another school with good teams and poor leadership...but then again, this is just my observation and opinion...maybe AusTxWave can give a totally different insight

UPDATE !!!... 10:33am 5/6/16... I went to the post office and saw two cars with UT decals !!!!
I can readily believe that there are more license plates with other schools---that would be just one more consequence of UT's disastrous 10% admission policy that they implemented many years ago. More and more of the successful people in Texas are coming from other schools, because they weren't in the top 10% of their high school graduating class. My daughters (who went to a private high school in Houston) had classmates that couldn't get in UT, so they went to Harvard. More and more of the top Texas high school students are going to OU, KU, Colorado, Ole Miss, LSU and many other schools. Texas A&M was smart enough not to strap itself with such a ridiculous policy--and the consequences are now showing up in the professional and business worlds.
That list of destinations for Texas students sure isn't very impressive. Guess they couldn't get into Rice, Baylor, or SMU in state?

Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:That license plate thing can't possibly be true. Not calling you a liar Golf, just saying your observations must be skewed.
jaxwave...I live in metro Austin...once U get away from UT campus and a few older subdivisions and out into the "burbs"...U rarely see a UT plate or sticker....hell even "The Ohio State" decals have begun to appear !!!... We have three cars at my house...two of those have Texas Tech Plates, drive thru my subdivision and U see more A/M, Tech and Baylor flags, decals and plates than UT.... .my wife teach's at Laura Bush Elementary, the schools is literally right across from the University of Texas Golf Course in Stiener Ranch over looking Lake Travis....there are more plates from out of town / state Universities than UT. I have a friend who lives on the 9th fairway at the course, the houses on each side of him have A/M plates and flags the houses across the street have OU, Baylor and Michigan flags ..but come on over to Austin and see for yourself...let me and AusTxwave know when U will be in town...UT will never be what it once was, over exposure, thanks to LHN, has exposed them for what they have actually become, just another school with good teams and poor leadership...but then again, this is just my observation and opinion...maybe AusTxWave can give a totally different insight

UPDATE !!!... 10:33am 5/6/16... I went to the post office and saw two cars with UT decals !!!!
I can readily believe that there are more license plates with other schools---that would be just one more consequence of UT's disastrous 10% admission policy that they implemented many years ago. More and more of the successful people in Texas are coming from other schools, because they weren't in the top 10% of their high school graduating class. My daughters (who went to a private high school in Houston) had classmates that couldn't get in UT, so they went to Harvard. More and more of the top Texas high school students are going to OU, KU, Colorado, Ole Miss, LSU and many other schools. Texas A&M was smart enough not to strap itself with such a ridiculous policy--and the consequences are now showing up in the professional and business worlds.
This is a late april fools joke? The policy is misguided but come on, no harvard admit is missing out on UT.
Wave755
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

This is a late april fools joke? The policy is misguided but come on, no harvard admit is missing out on UT.
And, show me a Harvard admit who is not in the top 10% of his or her graduating class? :confused:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

No. I think you are the April Fool. Check the 2001 thru 2003 grad classes at Strake Jesuit and St. Agnes. It is not at all uncommon for students outside the top 10% of Houstons top private schools to go to Ivy League schools. That is particularly true at St. John's and Kincaid. And many of the students that opt for the adjacent state schools don't want to pay the freight at SMU and Baylor. The educational value vs tuition at OU, KU, OSU and even Bama exceed the cost benefit ratio at SMU, and especially Baylor.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I have a hard time believing that someone in state that doesn't get into UT gets into Harvard. Sorry, I just don't see UT being more selective IN STATE than Harvard. But WTF does this have to do with Tulane's chances of getting into the Big 12?

My guess is we have as much chance of getting into the Big 12 as a UT reject has of getting into Harvard.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

Think about it from a New Orleans perspective. Its very possible a kid that's not in the top 10% of his class at Jesuit or Ben Franklin still has great scores. What's a graduating class at Jesuit now? When I was in school they were around 300, but now its probably 250. So, you don't think the student with the 26th highest grades at Jesuit may just be smart enough to get into a Harvard? Especially if he brings some other asset to the table that helps their diversity.

Ben Frankin (from Wikipedia) "Of the 162 students in the class of 2006, 28 were National Merit Semifinalists, 7 were National Achievement Finalists, and 3 were Hispanic Scholars. The class of 2008 produced 17 National Achievement Semifinalists, the most of any school in the United States." That would mean the class of '06 had 12 kids that were National Merit Semifinalists but weren't in the top 10% of their class.

Not saying it would be common, but I have no doubt it could happen.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Think about it from a New Orleans perspective. Its very possible a kid that's not in the top 10% of his class at Jesuit or Ben Franklin still has great scores. What's a graduating class at Jesuit now? When I was in school they were around 300, but now its probably 250. So, you don't think the student with the 26th highest grades at Jesuit may just be smart enough to get into a Harvard? Especially if he brings some other asset to the table that helps their diversity.

Ben Frankin (from Wikipedia) "Of the 162 students in the class of 2006, 28 were National Merit Semifinalists, 7 were National Achievement Finalists, and 3 were Hispanic Scholars. The class of 2008 produced 17 National Achievement Semifinalists, the most of any school in the United States." That would mean the class of '06 had 12 kids that were National Merit Semifinalists but weren't in the top 10% of their class.

I agree. I reviewed Texas' admission policies, and it looks like in 2009, the legislature modified the 10% rule for Texas so that it only has to take top students until it reaches 75% of its incoming class, and this has translated into the shrinking of the 10% rule - this fall, only top 7% is guaranteed admission and it is likely that this number will shrink further in the future. Given that that is the case, it's possible for someone to be in the top 8% of their class with a 32-36 ACT, and not get into Texas, and, depending on what kind of candidate Harvard is looking for at that time (class, geography, major, gender, sexual identity, race, extracurriculars, etc.), Harvard may take that student. However, it almost certainly wouldn't take multiple students from the same school unless the school is more or less socially legendary.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892
Swell

The more time that passes and the more information that leaks out, the more it looks like UConn will likely be one of the two expansion candidates. From a sheet of paper standpoint, if the goal of expansion is increasing revenue generated from TV deals, UConn and BYU make the most sense. However, it's unlikely that the Big 12 would add both UConn and BYU for logistical reasons (distance/time zones/etc.), so UConn plus probably Cincy may be how the cards fall if they choose to expand this summer.

It seems like Navigate has researched expansion candidates in addition to playoff outcomes, so I'm certain they and the tv execs have already informed the Big 12 of the two teams that make the most sense, so the waiting now probably has nothing to do with determining which schools would be best and has more to do with convincing Texas to vote for expansion (if the rumors are true).
lurker123
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:The more time that passes and the more information that leaks out, the more it looks like UConn will likely be one of the two expansion candidates. From a sheet of paper standpoint, if the goal of expansion is increasing revenue generated from TV deals, UConn and BYU make the most sense. However, it's unlikely that the Big 12 would add both UConn and BYU for logistical reasons (distance/time zones/etc.), so UConn plus probably Cincy may be how the cards fall if they choose to expand this summer.

It seems like Navigate has researched expansion candidates in addition to playoff outcomes, so I'm certain they and the tv execs have already informed the Big 12 of the two teams that make the most sense, so the waiting now probably has nothing to do with determining which schools would be best and has more to do with convincing Texas to vote for expansion (if the rumors are true).
From a purely TV standpoint don't underestimate value of available Florida markets. Who knows on any of this? Maybe Aresco and UM pres is right and best course for AAC and all of its members is to push for AAC to become a P6.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

lurker123 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:The more time that passes and the more information that leaks out, the more it looks like UConn will likely be one of the two expansion candidates. From a sheet of paper standpoint, if the goal of expansion is increasing revenue generated from TV deals, UConn and BYU make the most sense. However, it's unlikely that the Big 12 would add both UConn and BYU for logistical reasons (distance/time zones/etc.), so UConn plus probably Cincy may be how the cards fall if they choose to expand this summer.

From a purely TV standpoint don't underestimate value of available Florida markets. Who knows on any of this? Maybe Aresco and UM pres is right and best course for AAC and all of its members is to push for AAC to become a P6.
I would love the AAC to become a P6, but it would hard if we lost two of Cincy, Memphis and UConn and if BYU and Boise State were still unwilling to join as equal members. That would leave us with either not expanding (which wouldn't be great for TV money) or expanding with teams like Georgia State, UMass, San Diego State, Army, USM, Colorado State, Air Force or UNLV (most of which are not close to being a valuable as Cincy, Memphis, or UConn).
lurker123
Swell

Fixed it.

Well as been pointed out repeatedly, Tulane's and AAC's best potential is UT keeping its finger off the button for a few years. UT apparently loves branding of LHN. Meanwhile no other conference would accept LHN so unless Texas goes indy or agrees to scuttle LHN, it's not going anywhere. If LHN stays then it's really hard to see Big XII setting up its own network and/or accepting BYU and its tv network.

Sometimes blind luck helps and maybe Tulane (and AAC) is beneficiary here. Let's root for AAC (and not Houston) team to win G5 access slot the next two seasons and then perhaps P6 will have some legs?
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I would love for a non-Houston team to win the AAC this year. But will it happen? With the losses of athletes/personnel at Memphis and Navy along with the rebuilding processes at UCF/East Carolina/SMU/Tulsa/Tulane, it looks like USF, Temple and UConn (if it fields an offense) may be the most realistic challengers.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

I would love the AAC to become a P6, but it would hard if we lost two of Cincy, Memphis and UConn and if BYU and Boise State were still unwilling to join as equal members. That would leave us with either not expanding (which wouldn't be great for TV money) or expanding with teams like Georgia State, UMass, San Diego State, Army, USM, Colorado State, Air Force or UNLV (most of which are not close to being a valuable as Cincy, Memphis, or UConn).
Now that UAB is bringing football back they would be on the list too. Hope it doesn't reach that point while were in the AAC but it's a good geographic fit.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:Think about it from a New Orleans perspective. Its very possible a kid that's not in the top 10% of his class at Jesuit or Ben Franklin still has great scores. What's a graduating class at Jesuit now? When I was in school they were around 300, but now its probably 250. So, you don't think the student with the 26th highest grades at Jesuit may just be smart enough to get into a Harvard? Especially if he brings some other asset to the table that helps their diversity.

Exactly. And I even forgot a closer example. I have a niece who in 2007 graduated just outside the top 10% from a good Houston public high school (Stratford) and hence could not get accepted at UT, she was accepted, and graduated from, Univ. of Pennsylvania. It happens a lot more often than many would believe.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:

Exactly. And I even forgot a closer example. I have a niece who in 2007 graduated just outside the top 10% from a good Houston public high school (Stratford) and hence could not get accepted at UT, she was accepted, and graduated from, Univ. of Pennsylvania. It happens a lot more often than many would believe.
Stratford High....if I recall, the home of one Craig James !!!
bananax07
Ripple

sorry if already posted - ESPN writer weighs in, puts Tulane in the "Big 16":

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ooked-like
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

bananax07 wrote:sorry if already posted - ESPN writer weighs in, puts Tulane in the "Big 16":

As much as I like where the article has Tulane landing, the whole thing is a pipedream. The conferences aren't expanding within their own geographic regions, they're adding recruiting and TV markets. The interesting proposition of this article is that it would have 5 conferences that are considered "Power Conferences" each having 16 teams. It's much more inclusive.

That, or having the AAC become a "Power" Conference, is our only real hope. If the P4 with 16 teams each becomes a reality, at this point in time, we're on the outside looking in.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

Now that UAB is bringing football back they would be on the list too. Hope it doesn't reach that point while were in the AAC but it's a good geographic fit.
I like UAB, but I would personally be disappointed if we added it to the American (the same with USM). Unless the American expands west, I would argue that Georgia State and UMass have the most to offer in terms of long term potential as compared to UAB/USM.

Georgia State University
PROS
~32,000 students
Atlanta location
Top 10 TV market
Georgia recruiting
Geographic fit of the current AAC (between Tulane/Memphis/USF/UCF/East Carolina)
A state flagship university
CONS
Relatively new to FBS
Heavy competition from P5s (GA/GA Tech)
Limited success on the field
Academics? Not ranked by US News

UMass
PROS
~73,000 total enrollment (UMass system)
~30,000 enrollment at the Amherst campus
Top 10 tv market (Boston)
The highest profile state flagship university in the state
Geographic fit of the current AAC - near UConn and Temple.
Relatively limited competition from P5s (BC)
Academics (ranked 75 by US News)
CONS
Relatively new to FBS

In contrast,

USM
PROS
Mississippi recruiting
Geographic fit of the current AAC (between Tulane/Memphis/East Carolina)
CONS
TV market?
Inconsistent on the field
Limited enrollment (15,000)
Heavy P5 competition (UM/MSU)

UAB
PROS
Alabama recruiting
Top 40 tv market (Birmingham)
CONS
Recently shut down and restarted football
Limited TV market compared to alternative expansion choices
Limited enrollment compared to alternative expansion choices (18,000)
Heavy P5 competition (Auburn/Alabama)
So-so academics (Ranked 149 by US news)
lurker123
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
bananax07 wrote:sorry if already posted - ESPN writer weighs in, puts Tulane in the "Big 16":

As much as I like where the article has Tulane landing, the whole thing is a pipedream. The conferences aren't expanding within their own geographic regions, they're adding recruiting and TV markets. The interesting proposition of this article is that it would have 5 conferences that are considered "Power Conferences" each having 16 teams. It's much more inclusive.

That, or having the AAC become a "Power" Conference, is our only real hope. If the P4 with 16 teams each becomes a reality, at this point in time, we're on the outside looking in.
I hear you but travel expenses and time away from class still matter for Olympic sports for most colleges. So geographic fits still have some admittedly minor influence. What I think might be more is Big XII has let SEC in particular and B1G and PAC 12 invade its territory. Basic competitive business strategy tells one they need to return the favor. That I think gives Tulane a small edge while hurting UH and SMU in particular as attractive candidates.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I hear you but travel expenses and time away from class still matter for Olympic sports for most colleges. So geographic fits still have some admittedly minor influence. What I think might be more is Big XII has let SEC in particular and B1G and PAC 12 invade its territory. Basic competitive business strategy tells one they need to return the favor. That I think gives Tulane a small edge while hurting UH and SMU in particular as attractive candidates.
Big 12 has definitely been walked on, especially by the SEC. I still can't believe they are really considering going so far east. No wonder UT is fighting this expansion--having to travel way east just to get a TV deal that is no better than the LHN is for them. If the Big 12 keeps going east, I bet UT will leave the conference. If I'm a UT fan, I would figure if we have to travel, we might as well join either the B1G or PAC12.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I can see the Big 12 expanding to a max of 14 teams... I do not see them expanding any further into the N'east..as I posted earlier, they wish they could get WVU out of the conference..expansion requires several things 1- Geographic fit, 2- TV contract expansion/markets.3-increased recruiting exposure to P5 caliber athletes.4- Academic's the following schools that fit a expansion to 14 are..Cincy, Memphis, UCF, Tulane or Colorado State...
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

I like UAB, but I would personally be disappointed if we added it to the American (the same with USM). Unless the American expands west, I would argue that Georgia State and UMass have the most to offer in terms of long term potential as compared to UAB/USM.

Georgia State University
PROS
~32,000 students
Atlanta location
Top 10 TV market
Georgia recruiting
Geographic fit of the current AAC (between Tulane/Memphis/USF/UCF/East Carolina)
CONS
Relatively new to FBS
Heavy competition from P5s (GA/GA Tech)

UMass
PROS
~73,000 total enrollment (UMass system)
~30,000 enrollment at the Amherst campus
Top 10 tv market (Boston)
The highest profile state flagship university in the state
Geographic fit of the current AAC - near UConn and Temple.
Relatively limited competition from P5s (BC)
Academics (ranked 75 by US News)
CONS
Relatively new to FBS

In contrast,

USM
PROS
Mississippi recruiting
CONS
TV market?
Inconsistent on the field
Limited enrollment (15,000)
Heavy P5 competition (UM/MSU)

UAB
PROS
Alabama recruiting
Top 40 tv market (Birmingham)
CONS
Recently shut down and restarted football
Limited TV market compared to alternative expansion choices
Limited enrollment compared to alternative expansion choices (18,000)
Heavy P5 competition (Auburn/Alabama)
So-so academics (Ranked 149 by US news)
I was just pointing out that they would now be in line w/the others mentioned. I'll add that USM has been a consistent winner in football. They had that 3 year dry spell but look to have righted the ship. I believe UAB hired back the coach that had turned them around before their idiot President pulled a Cowen. I'd much prefer them and I think most Tulane fans would prefer them too to GSU and UMASS.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.