Big XII Expansion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Let's hope there's no fire with this smoke.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3063336/big-12 ... is-summer/

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:Let's hope there's no fire with this smoke.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3063336/big-12 ... is-summer/
OU Prez David Boren is big on academic standing... I know they want a "partner for WVU" and the only school to fit it is Cincy....after Cincy ,it's a krap shoot...
does Boren endorse Cincy with the caveat that the next school in have an academic rep, with the assurance that the proper steps to become competitive be in place...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If that's the case, 'nut, then UConn is probably the other choice. But UConn then creates it's own problem: It becomes the out-layer not close to any other conference members. I was shocked to see that of the four most considered, UConn, by a wide margin, had the most players in the NFL this past season.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:If that's the case, 'nut, then UConn is probably the other choice. But UConn then creates it's own problem: It becomes the out-layer not close to any other conference members. I was shocked to see that of the four most considered, UConn, by a wide margin, had the most players in the NFL this past season.

David.... I do not see the Big 12 going any further in a northeasterly direction than WVU....Behind closed doors, The Big 12 acknowledges they should have taken L'ville but they had their thumbs up their collective asses and did not act fast enough..WVU was the knee jerk reaction and they wish they could get rid of them...The Big 12 would love to stay in the Central and Mtn time zones....as long as OU and UT are in the Big 12, Houston's chances are very slim
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu May 05, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:If that's the case, 'nut, then UConn is probably the other choice. But UConn then creates it's own problem: It becomes the out-layer not close to any other conference members. I was shocked to see that of the four most considered, UConn, by a wide margin, had the most players in the NFL this past season.

David.... I do not see the Big 12 going any further in a northeasterly direction than WVU....Behind closed doors, The Big 12 acknowledges they should have taken L'ville but they had their thumbs up their collective asses and did not act fact enough..WVU was the knee jerk reaction and they wish they could get rid of them...The Big 12 would love to stay in the Central and Mtn time zones....as long as OU and UT are in the Big 12, Houston's chances are very slim
That's why I think it would be Memphis and Cinci. UConn has the academics, but is even further away from the rest of the conference than WVU.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

David.... I do not see the Big 12 going any further in a northeasterly direction than WVU....Behind closed doors, The Big 12 acknowledges they should have taken L'ville but they had their thumbs up their collective asses and did not act fact enough..WVU was the knee jerk reaction and they wish they could get rid of them...The Big 12 would love to stay in the Central and Mtn time zones....as long as OU and UT are in the Big 12, Houston's chances are very slim
That's why I think it would be Memphis and Cinci. UConn has the academics, but is even further away from the rest of the conference than WVU.
I think Cincy is a lock... Memphis, I am not totally sold on, they have question marks..but they do have the FedEx bucks, give inroads into the SEC TV market, and easy travel for most of the conference...isn't it ironic that Memphis, not investing one cent for a playing site on campus, except for Baseball, and for the most part, worse facilities than Tulane, may get an invite ...
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

I think Cincy is a lock... Memphis, I am not totally sold on, they have question marks..but they do have the FedEx bucks, give inroads into the SEC TV market, and easy travel for most of the conference...isn't it ironic that Memphis, not investing one cent for a playing site on campus, except for Baseball, and for the most part, worse facilities than Tulane, may get an invite ...
They are in the process of improving their facilities.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:The more one reads about the Big 12 expansion possibilities, and UT's behind the scene efforts to stop expansion, the more you realize just how dysfunctional the Big 12 has become. The expansion talk, has resurfaced the fundamental neuroses that nearly doomed the conference five years ago. I still think the chances of UT and/or OU moving on are quite good. The remaining Big 12 orphans will then start scrambling to hold the Big 12 together--we ought to be strategizing to get into that orphanage.
The Big 12 is really not that dysfunctional - there is a serious ideological disagreement concerning how to determine a champion, and both sides are reasonable, and that does not even go into the money issue.

One camp says, 10 teams, full round robin, and no championship game. This approach is the most fair and logical way to determine a champion, and it bolsters interest in lesser programs since their fans know that the big name programs will come play at their stadium every other year (except for Texas/Oklahoma and Baylor/Tech). So, for example, Iowa State and Kansas still draw a significant amount of fans to their home games because their fans know that they will get to see Baylor/TCU/Texas/Oklahoma/Oklahoma State/WVU/TT/etc. every other year. Not only that, but because of the round robin, virtually every game is worth watching since a random loss to a lower profile team could knock out one of the contenders and there are neither divisions nor a championship game to compensate for that loss.

The other camp says, we should maximize our chances at the playoff and nothing else matters. 12+ teams, 8 conference games, and a championship game. This is probably one of the worst ways to determine a champion, but it ensures that the middle teams in the conference will have solid overall records even though they aren't that great (i.e. win 4 OOC and 4 conference games to arrive at a 8-4 record and a good bowl as opposed to the way it is now where a middling team may not even reach 6 wins since there are only 3 OOC and the teams have to play everyone in order to win 3 more), it provides a cushion for the top team to have one loss and still make the playoff, and it maximizes the chances of the lower profile teams of hitting 6 wins. This method mirrors what the SEC and ACC currently do, and it would be as close as humanly possible to guarantee a no loss or one loss Big 12 team gets included in the final four since the Pac 12 and B1G will have one more conference game that could frequently mean one more loss for a potential playoff team.

More directly to your last point, I believe that if Oklahoma and Texas left and the conference expanded to 14, Tulane would make the 6 team cut.
The dysfunctionality that I'm referring to has nothing to do with scheduling (round robin vs divisions). The current strife over whether to expand gets back to the fundamental problem of UT and the LHN. UT doesn't want to expand as it will increase pressure for a conference network (something OU and most the rest want). So UT is lobbying like crazy to prevent the supermajority vote needed for expansion. In the end, if they don't expand OU will probably bolt--if they do expand, UT will probably bolt. It all goes back to the UT vs OU (and the rest) issues that nearly doomed the Big 12 earlier. That is the dysfunctionality of Big 12.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wavetime
Swell

I do see Cincy, however not Memphis. I think Colorado St is a bigger target than Memphis. Also, I've read in the past where Boren really likes Tulane. However, our athletic programs didn't take any steps until TD was hired. Hopefully they will vote to expand then study everyone for a couple of years......
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:The more one reads about the Big 12 expansion possibilities, and UT's behind the scene efforts to stop expansion, the more you realize just how dysfunctional the Big 12 has become. The expansion talk, has resurfaced the fundamental neuroses that nearly doomed the conference five years ago. I still think the chances of UT and/or OU moving on are quite good. The remaining Big 12 orphans will then start scrambling to hold the Big 12 together--we ought to be strategizing to get into that orphanage.
The Big 12 is really not that dysfunctional - there is a serious ideological disagreement concerning how to determine a champion, and both sides are reasonable, and that does not even go into the money issue.

One camp says, 10 teams, full round robin, and no championship game. This approach is the most fair and logical way to determine a champion, and it bolsters interest in lesser programs since their fans know that the big name programs will come play at their stadium every other year (except for Texas/Oklahoma and Baylor/Tech). So, for example, Iowa State and Kansas still draw a significant amount of fans to their home games because their fans know that they will get to see Baylor/TCU/Texas/Oklahoma/Oklahoma State/WVU/TT/etc. every other year. Not only that, but because of the round robin, virtually every game is worth watching since a random loss to a lower profile team could knock out one of the contenders and there are neither divisions nor a championship game to compensate for that loss.

The other camp says, we should maximize our chances at the playoff and nothing else matters. 12+ teams, 8 conference games, and a championship game. This is probably one of the worst ways to determine a champion, but it ensures that the middle teams in the conference will have solid overall records even though they aren't that great (i.e. win 4 OOC and 4 conference games to arrive at a 8-4 record and a good bowl as opposed to the way it is now where a middling team may not even reach 6 wins since there are only 3 OOC and the teams have to play everyone in order to win 3 more), it provides a cushion for the top team to have one loss and still make the playoff, and it maximizes the chances of the lower profile teams of hitting 6 wins. This method mirrors what the SEC and ACC currently do, and it would be as close as humanly possible to guarantee a no loss or one loss Big 12 team gets included in the final four since the Pac 12 and B1G will have one more conference game that could frequently mean one more loss for a potential playoff team.

More directly to your last point, I believe that if Oklahoma and Texas left and the conference expanded to 14, Tulane would make the 6 team cut.
The dysfunctionality that I'm referring to has nothing to do with scheduling (round robin vs divisions). The current strife over whether to expand gets back to the fundamental problem of UT and the LHN. UT doesn't want to expand as it will increase pressure for a conference network (something OU and most the rest want). So UT is lobbying like crazy to prevent the supermajority vote needed for expansion. In the end, if they don't expand OU will probably bolt--if they do expand, UT will probably bolt. It all goes back to the UT vs OU (and the rest) issues that nearly doomed the Big 12 earlier. That is the dysfunctionality of Big 12.
UT has lot's of political baggage, and many are tired of their BS, especially the elected State officials form Houston, DFW, Waco, College Station and Lubbock...add to that, the strained relationship between Austin and San Antonio and most of the state would tell UT not to allow the door to hit their collective ass on the way out... TCU, Baylor, TX Tech, OK State have become more assertive and competitive on and off the field, most of the Big 12 members are weary of UT's bullshit and some would be happy to see them walk....and that vote may come sooner than UT may like
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wavetime wrote:I do see Cincy, however not Memphis. I think Colorado St is a bigger target than Memphis. Also, I've read in the past where Boren really likes Tulane. However, our athletic programs didn't take any steps until TD was hired. Hopefully they will vote to expand then study everyone for a couple of years......
Colorado State would be a much better candidate than Memphis. The Big 12's West Virginia mistake is a gift that just keeps giving. Adding Memphis to Cincy would be disastrous for the Big 12. UT already can't stand going to W.Va., and adding Cincy and Memphis to the mix will probably drive the Longhorns elsewhere. I think the only way that Boren and the other pro-expansion group can get UT to go along, and stay in the Big 12, would be to let UT pick the new schools. In which case schools with close geographic proximity would have a huge advantage (except UH for obvious reasons). I bet UT would pick Colo. State and Tulane. Never hurts to dream.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wavetime wrote:I do see Cincy, however not Memphis. I think Colorado St is a bigger target than Memphis. Also, I've read in the past where Boren really likes Tulane. However, our athletic programs didn't take any steps until TD was hired. Hopefully they will vote to expand then study everyone for a couple of years......
I agree with your Colorado State opinion, but the big 12 is looking to shorten the mileage gap for WVU, and Colorado State is not the answer unless they expand to a 14 or 16 team conference, then they could break into North South or East West divisions, or even into "quads"
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

UT has lot's of political baggage, and many are tired of their BS, especially the elected State officials form Houston, DFW, Waco, College Station and Lubbock...add to that, the strained relationship between Austin and San Antonio and most of the state would tell UT not to allow the door to hit their collective ass on the way out... TCU, Baylor, TX Tech, OK State have become more assertive and competitive on and off the field, most of the Big 12 members are weary of UT's bullsh*t and some would be happy to see them walk....and that vote may come sooner than UT may like
I totally agree with that. It would be hilarious to see UT walked on by the Big 12. The conditions are certainly ripe for such a revolt, which is what it may take to get the expansion approved. Maybe the Big 12 will be looking for three new schools.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

UT has lot's of political baggage, and many are tired of their BS, especially the elected State officials form Houston, DFW, Waco, College Station and Lubbock...add to that, the strained relationship between Austin and San Antonio and most of the state would tell UT not to allow the door to hit their collective ass on the way out... TCU, Baylor, TX Tech, OK State have become more assertive and competitive on and off the field, most of the Big 12 members are weary of UT's bullsh*t and some would be happy to see them walk....and that vote may come sooner than UT may like
I totally agree with that. It would be hilarious to see UT walked on by the Big 12. The conditions are certainly ripe for such a revolt, which is what it may take to get the expansion approved. Maybe the Big 12 will be looking for three new schools.
and if UT plays the 'I will go to the Pac 12 or the Big 10 card"...the joke is on them, if they think for a minute that Michigan, Ohio state, Michigan state, Wisconsin, or USC, Stanford, Oregon, Cal will put up with their krap, they are totally misguided... as I call the UT mascot bEGO...not bevo
bananax07
Ripple

could UT go independent? ND calls their own shots and Texas seems to consider themselves on the same level in terms of national appeal, history, prestige, etc.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

bananax07 wrote:could UT go independent? ND calls their own shots and Texas seems to consider themselves on the same level in terms of national appeal, history, prestige, etc.
I would not put UT on the same level as ND on a national level...ND plays the catholic church card... UT does not have that type of identity... here in metro Austin, Texas AM runs things, not UT..as the saying goes, what does a UT grad call ans A/M grad one year after graduating...the answer is "BOSS" !!...with the "tech boom" there are as may or more California type transplants as there are UT types...and with the building of retirement communities here in central Texas, there are many from the upper midwest now in metro Austin, so UT is not what it once was, or what UT still thinks it is...drive around Austin and U see more A/M, Texas Tech and OU personalized plates than UT
Jaxwave
Swell

That license plate thing can't possibly be true. Not calling you a liar Golf, just saying your observations must be skewed.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

UT going independent would be a dream come true for Tulane. A path to viability via independence would change college athletics in bigger way than P5/G5.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote:That license plate thing can't possibly be true. Not calling you a liar Golf, just saying your observations must be skewed.
jaxwave...I live in metro Austin...once U get away from UT campus and a few older subdivisions and out into the "burbs"...U rarely see a UT plate or sticker....hell even "The Ohio State" decals have begun to appear !!!... We have three cars at my house...two of those have Texas Tech Plates, drive thru my subdivision and U see more A/M, Tech and Baylor flags, decals and plates than UT.... .my wife teach's at Laura Bush Elementary, the schools is literally right across from the University of Texas Golf Course in Stiener Ranch over looking Lake Travis....there are more plates from out of town / state Universities than UT. I have a friend who lives on the 9th fairway at the course, the houses on each side of him have A/M plates and flags the houses across the street have OU, Baylor and Michigan flags ..but come on over to Austin and see for yourself...let me and AusTxwave know when U will be in town...UT will never be what it once was, over exposure, thanks to LHN, has exposed them for what they have actually become, just another school with good teams and poor leadership...but then again, this is just my observation and opinion...maybe AusTxWave can give a totally different insight

UPDATE !!!... 10:33am 5/6/16... I went to the post office and saw two cars with UT decals !!!!
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri May 06, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
lurker123
Swell

If UT goes independent, where are the other sports going to? Southland? CUSA? MVC? I'm sure UT fans will be excited about that.
bananax07
Ripple

lurker123 wrote:If UT goes independent, where are the other sports going to? Southland? CUSA? MVC? I'm sure UT fans will be excited about that.
hadn't thought of that. ND has (or had) its ACC/Big East/Big 10 ties. Pac 10/12 seems like it could be a cultural fit but that could be completely off-base.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

bananax07 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:If UT goes independent, where are the other sports going to? Southland? CUSA? MVC? I'm sure UT fans will be excited about that.
hadn't thought of that. ND has (or had) its ACC/Big East/Big 10 ties. Pac 10/12 seems like it could be a cultural fit but that could be completely off-base.
we all know what will happen...ESPN will form the LHN conference of champions
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:That license plate thing can't possibly be true. Not calling you a liar Golf, just saying your observations must be skewed.
jaxwave...I live in metro Austin...once U get away from UT campus and a few older subdivisions and out into the "burbs"...U rarely see a UT plate or sticker....hell even "The Ohio State" decals have begun to appear !!!... We have three cars at my house...two of those have Texas Tech Plates, drive thru my subdivision and U see more A/M, Tech and Baylor flags, decals and plates than UT.... .my wife teach's at Laura Bush Elementary, the schools is literally right across from the University of Texas Golf Course in Stiener Ranch over looking Lake Travis....there are more plates from out of town / state Universities than UT. I have a friend who lives on the 9th fairway at the course, the houses on each side of him have A/M plates and flags the houses across the street have OU, Baylor and Michigan flags ..but come on over to Austin and see for yourself...let me and AusTxwave know when U will be in town...UT will never be what it once was, over exposure, thanks to LHN, has exposed them for what they have actually become, just another school with good teams and poor leadership...but then again, this is just my observation and opinion...maybe AusTxWave can give a totally different insight

UPDATE !!!... 10:33am 5/6/16... I went to the post office and saw two cars with UT decals !!!!
I can readily believe that there are more license plates with other schools---that would be just one more consequence of UT's disastrous 10% admission policy that they implemented many years ago. More and more of the successful people in Texas are coming from other schools, because they weren't in the top 10% of their high school graduating class. My daughters (who went to a private high school in Houston) had classmates that couldn't get in UT, so they went to Harvard. More and more of the top Texas high school students are going to OU, KU, Colorado, Ole Miss, LSU and many other schools. Texas A&M was smart enough not to strap itself with such a ridiculous policy--and the consequences are now showing up in the professional and business worlds.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

I can readily believe that there are more license plates with other schools---that would be just one more consequence of UT's disastrous 10% admission policy that they implemented many years ago. More and more of the successful people in Texas are coming from other schools, because they weren't in the top 10% of their high school graduating class. My daughters (who went to a private high school in Houston) had classmates that couldn't get in UT, so they went to Harvard. More and more of the top Texas high school students are going to OU, KU, Colorado, Ole Miss, LSU and many other schools. Texas A&M was smart enough not to strap itself with such a ridiculous policy--and the consequences are now showing up in the professional and business worlds.
All public Texas schools have that rule - it's just UT is more popular than the other schools.

As a side note, for an in demand high profile state school, the top 7-10% rule is probably the most fair way to admit in state students. It doesn't penalize people for being born in bad districts or having less money and it doesn't reward people for being born in good districts or having more money.