USNWR

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
JDTulane
Riptide

Front page of the Hullabaloo.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:Front page of the Hullabaloo.
Wow, only at Tulane. Blaming the new stadium for the fall in academic rankings..............
http://www.tulanehullabaloo.com/views/a ... f887a.html
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
Wow, only at Tulane. Blaming the new stadium for the fall in academic rankings..............
It's just one random letter to the editor, and that person is uninformed to say the least.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
It's just one random letter to the editor, and that person is uninformed to say the least.
Yes, but it amazes me the ignorance of the comment. The failure began in 1998 when SC was hired.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Yes, but it amazes me the ignorance of the comment. The failure began in 1998 when SC was hired.
Yeah, monumentally ignorant on a variety of levels (given the correlation between success in football and rising USNWR rankings, etc)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Why publish the letter if it so uninformed? Clearly a lot of people are drinking the Koolaid. Maybe Cowen wrote it to take the heat off of himself.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Do y'all not remember your time at Tulane? I would have been shocked if some idiot hadn't written a letter like that.
God Bless Everyone!
Fred Dowler
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Why publish the letter if it so uninformed? Clearly a lot of people are drinking the Koolaid. Maybe Cowen wrote it to take the heat off of himself.
Maybe the writer doesn't like football and I can easily see how that can be inferred. OTOH what I see that they seem to be getting at that is that here's Tulane pouring resources into something that's more or less peripheral to the core school business while that very core business is perhaps being neglected with the U.S. News ranking reflecting that. I've felt similarly about the administration embarking on the stadium project even while the football program was going through rough times on the field when, if somehow I had the power to do so, what I would have done would have been to focus like a laser beam on getting things fully turned around and completely stabilized with the on-field aspect, the core football business at hand, first before giving any kind of thought to a new facility.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Show Me
Tsunami

Fred Dowler wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Maybe the writer doesn't like football and I can easily see how that can be inferred. OTOH what I see that they seem to be getting at that is that here's Tulane pouring resources into something that's more or less peripheral to the core school business while that very core business is perhaps being neglected with the U.S. News ranking reflecting that. I've felt similarly about the administration embarking on the stadium project even while the football program was going through rough times on the field when, if somehow I had the power to do so, what I would have done would have been to focus like a laser beam on getting things fully turned around and completely stabilized with the on-field aspect, the core football business at hand, first before giving any kind of thought to a new facility.
Unfortunately Tulane anti-athletic faculty for years that made things difficult. The old thought process was if it was good for athletics than it must be bad for academics. In fact some even went so far as hating to see Tulane ranked at all in football because they didn't want the university to get more notoriety from athletics over academics. When in the old days Tulane wanted to pay coaches more than faculty it was met with an uproar.
Last edited by Show Me on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I bet the faculty was upset too.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:I bet the faculty was upset too.
lol
Thanks!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Welcome.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Cowen accumulated more power than is healthy for any university administrator and micromanaged to the nth degree, yet let a handful of NIMBYs and faculty who reported to people who reported to him run the asylum. It's mindblowing.
RobertM320
Green Wave

The report came out on Wednesday.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... user-share

Tulane University jumped 13 spots this year in U.S. News & World Report’s annual ranking of the nation’s top undergraduate universities.

This year’s list, which came out Wednesday, placed Tulane in a tie with five other schools for the No. 41 ranking, up from No. 54 last year. It was the only Louisiana university to crack the top 100.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This story came out 9-10-15. I think we already had a thread on it.
RobertM320
Green Wave

My fault. It was just tweeted by someone. I looked for a thread on rankings but I figured it would be in Der Rathskellar. Its probably in the huddle. Maybe we should just delete this thread.

Please, no one followup post on this.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

And here we are two years later. The new USNWR rankings are out. New President, new AD, new focus, and we're now back up to #39!

http://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press- ... s-rankings

And yet Scott Kushner wants to credit Cowen.
Scott Kushner
‏@ScottDKushner
#Tulane's 2yr rise is astounding. Credit Scott Cowen & his staff (who I criticized here often for the low ranking), who laid the foundation.
7:29 AM - 13 Sep 2016
https://twitter.com/ScottDKushner/statu ... 4339429378
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Given the trailing nature of the US News Rankings, it's unlikely that the new president has been at Tulane long enough to make a major impact on them. Whether we like it or not, it wouldn't make sense to not attribute the majority of the increase to Cowen's regime.
bananax07
Ripple

RobertM320 wrote:And here we are two years later. The new USNWR rankings are out. New President, new AD, new focus, and we're now back up to #39!

http://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press- ... s-rankings

And yet Scott Kushner wants to credit Cowen.
Scott Kushner
‏@ScottDKushner
#Tulane's 2yr rise is astounding. Credit Scott Cowen & his staff (who I criticized here often for the low ranking), who laid the foundation.
7:29 AM - 13 Sep 2016
https://twitter.com/ScottDKushner/statu ... 4339429378
he (Kushner) has been a vocal critic of Cowen when it's been due. i think it is inaccurate to accuse him of any pro-Cowen bias.
RobertM320
Green Wave

So how do you explain that in 1998 when Cowen took over we were #34, and by 2002 we were #46? Katrina would have nothing to do with that. And even after 2002 he had 13 years to fix it, and yet when he left we were #54. So all of a sudden, in 24 months we make a 15 place jump and he gets the credit? I don't buy that one bit.
RobertM320
Green Wave

That's like saying, if Fritz goes 7-5 this season, the credit should go to CJ because he recruited the players.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:So how do you explain that in 1998 when Cowen took over we were #34, and by 2002 we were #46? Katrina would have nothing to do with that. And even after 2002 he had 13 years to fix it, and yet when he left we were #54. So all of a sudden, in 24 months we make a 15 place jump and he gets the credit? I don't buy that one bit.
And he more than doubled the tuition by the time he left.

Historical Tuition Prices
The cost to attend college is continually rising. The table below will provide perspective as to the historical tuition increases reported for Tulane University of Louisiana and what it has cost to attend in past years.
Louisiana Resident Out of State Annual Percent Change
2010 $40,584 $40,584 5%
2009 $38,664 $38,664 5.6%
2008 $36,610 $36,610 4.9%
2007 $34,896 $34,896 5.9%
2006 $32,946 $32,946 5.6%
2005 $31,210 $31,210 4.7%
2004 $29,810 $29,810 5.3%
2003 $28,310 $28,310 5.3%
2002 $26,886 $26,886 5.9%
2001 $25,390 $25,390 4.9%
2000 $24,214 $24,214 3.9%
1999 $23,304 $23,304 5.6%
1998 $22,066 $22,066 3.9%
1997 $21,236 $21,236 3.7%

2011-2015
http://www.tulane.edu/~registra/tuition ... n_and_fees
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:So how do you explain that in 1998 when Cowen took over we were #34, and by 2002 we were #46? Katrina would have nothing to do with that. And even after 2002 he had 13 years to fix it, and yet when he left we were #54. So all of a sudden, in 24 months we make a 15 place jump and he gets the credit? I don't buy that one bit.
US News is a trailing gauge given the way it evaluates faculty resources/graduation rates/retention rates/Financial resources/graduation performance rate/academic peer scores in that those aren't issues that can be significantly impacted in a year or two, and they account for 82.5% of the total US News score. In addition, Tulane acceptance rate (12.5% of score) - a metric that can be more easily influenced in the short term - has been going down the rankings (i.e. increasing) over the last few years. All of that together equals 95% of the entire score, and the only item that remains is living alumni giving percentage (5%). In regard to giving, Tulane has had 6 consecutive years of increases in alumni giving according to the article below, so even though alumni giving has increased until the current Tulane president, it was increasing in the last few years under the Cowen as well and that may be what the tweet is referring to - that alumni giving was steadily increasing under Cowen and it continued under the new president.

http://giving.tulane.edu/s/1586/Giving/ ... calcid=752

If Tulane started moving down the rankings in between 1998 and 2002, odds are that it was heading down no matter who was brought on as president as the indicators would be trailing what was going on in the last year or two of the prior president.
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
OUG
Riptide

We went from 41 to a five way tie for 39. I'm not sure how many schools we were tied with last year, but many of them were the same schools. We are talking miniscule movements here, and even the smallest movement in the wrong direction statistically would have sent us back to like 45. That would have given people an aneurism around here.

I just think it's more important to look at the range here than the exact number. We could easily move backwards next year without any substantive difference.
JDTulane
Riptide

OUG wrote:We went from 41 to a five way tie for 39. I'm not sure how many schools we were tied with last year, but many of them were the same schools. We are talking miniscule movements here, and even the smallest movement in the wrong direction statistically would have sent us back to like 45. That would have given people an aneurism around here.

I just think it's more important to look at the range here than the exact number. We could easily move backwards next year without any substantive difference.

We were in a 3 or 4 way tie before.