Thoughts and Prayers Requested

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Dave, just saw this thread and wish young Zach all the best in the world. It's wonderful that he has a twin brother who is a perfect bone marrow match and most importantly, has a loving dad like you.

As you know via our pm conversations, my dad died of multiple myeloma in 1994 and my younger brother was diagnosed with it in 2001 IIRC. When diagnosed we immediately went to the MM treatment center in Little Rock which was founded by Sam Walton who, I believe, ultimately died of the disease. I don't recall the head doctor's name there, a German, but he told us it was extremely rare to see the disease in family members so closely related. Topping that off, my mother died of chronic leukemia in 2012. As my brother and I always said, great parents, lousy genes.

Anyway, they treated my brother for a year or two but the condition worsened to the point that a bone marrow transplant was considered. I had a marrow sample extracted there at the treatment center but was not a close enough match to use. They ultimately decided to do a stem cell transplant using his own marrow. Over the course of many months we made regular trips to LR where they extracted and separated his stem cells and froze them for later transplant. When the time arrived for the transplant, they gave him a powerful chemo treatment that basically killed his bone marrow. You can imagine the shape he was in by the time he had the transplant.

I believe he had the transplant in 2003 or 2004 and when we discussed his chances thereafter, they were guarded.......perhaps 5 years they told us.

Well, I'm happy to report my brother is still alive and as healthy as he can be for his age. Miracles do happen Dave.

God speed to young Zach. He'll be in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you as well.

ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We went forward with the Bone Marrow Transplant on December 8th. Teddy, Zach's brother, was a hero donor. He didn't complain about the pain, nor did he play it up (he's a bit of a ham) as his mother and me expected. Zach was excited to get the new marrow. We had my daughter and a few friends and family there. Zach insisted on a marrow party, and to mark the party he wanted cake! Unfortunately, a heavy dose of Benadryl 15 minutes before the infusion knocked him out for the party. But Teddy got to press the button on the IV to start the transfer, and 45 minutes later it was in God's hands.

As expected, Zach had a number of chemo/radiation/marrow transfer side affects. The worst was mucusitis, which was so painful that he didn't speak for almost a week. He also had bone and joint pain. The Saturday of Christmas weekend, when a few of my family members from afar visited, was probably the worst. Christmas was tough, but Zach rallied to open a ton of presents before sleeping for about 18 hours. Leaving on the 27th to go back to work for a couple of days in CT was really hard. Coming back on the Friday evening of NYE weekend was a lot better. The mucusitis was clearing. By the end of the weekend he was making white blood cells. Earlier today we got the best news possible: his counts had jumped with white blood cells at 1200 and ANC going from 80 yesterday to 320. All signs that his body and the marrow are, as Teddy would say "making friends."

Zach and Teddy's sister, Lauren, who will graduate later this year from UCF and is almost as big a sports fan as her father, had a great experience at the Peach Bowl. She had given up her entire Christmas vacation to be with her brothers spending 90% of the time in the hospital. Nobody deserved to have that happy experience more than Lauren. Those tickets, which weren't cheap, might be the best Christmas gift I've ever given, and the UCF win was every bit as emotional, if not more, for me than the Liberty Bowl in 1998.

Your continued thoughts and prayers are requested and appreciated. There's a long way to go to get Zach back to full health, but we've hopefully taken a big step.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sorry to hear about all the suffering he had to endure but glad that things have taken a turn for the better.

Glad your daughter was there to cheer UCF on to the NC.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and support. We really do appreciate it!

Zach had his 180 day post marrow transplant checkup today (even though it was about day 200!). It went VERY WELL! Everything looks great, and he should be starting first grade with his twin brother Teddy (the marrow donor, our hero!) in August. We had lengthy discussions about how to slowly ween him off his meds and taking small steps to expose his immune system to the real world so he isn't thrown into a grade school where germs tend to be plentiful.

Zachary's red hair has returned after it initially started to grow back in dark like his brothers! His coordination is still not close to what it once was (he was extremely athletic before his initial diagnosis and had gotten about 80% back before he relapsed last year.) But this kid is a fighter, and has been through so much in his young life, it wouldn't surprise me if he's suiting up for the Green Wave in 12 years!

Again, thank you for your support. And for putting up with me during those very dark days last winter.
Jaxwave
Swell

I think I can speak for most of us in saying "Thank YOU" for considering us part of your extended family in asking us to join in Zach's journey. Truly a privilege to play even a small part of his road to full recovery. Continued prayers to your entire family.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Great news! Roll Zach!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Happy to hear things are going well for him. I’ll continue to pray for him.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Great news!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Awesome D!
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
ajcalhoun
Swell

So glad to hear that Zachary is doing better! I will continue to pray for him.
God Bless Everyone!
Wavetime
Swell

Great News!!! Prayers!
chain gang x man
Swell

Great news the power of prayer
GreenLantern
Riptide

Wonderful news!
cajunfanatico
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:45 pm Wonderful news!
Wonderful news indeed Dave. When I saw this thread had been bumped my heart sank a little bit. Life can be so fragile and fleeting. What a relief to hear that he's making such great progress!
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I shed a few tears yesterday, but it wasn't over the outcome of the Tulane game last night. Yesterday morning, Zachary and his twin brother Teddy got on the bus to start first grade. To think of how far we've come since bottoming out around Christmas 2017 made it an emotional day.

I bleed Olive Green and Sky Blue. But what happened yesterday morning made last night's outcome a lot easier to handle. And, I'll admit, a bunch of Heineken helped as well.

Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:44 pm I shed a few tears yesterday, but it wasn't over the outcome of the Tulane game last night. Yesterday morning, Zachary and his twin brother Teddy got on the bus to start first grade. To think of how far we've come since bottoming out around Christmas 2017 made it an emotional day.

I bleed Olive Green and Sky Blue. But what happened yesterday morning made last night's outcome a lot easier to handle. And, I'll admit, a bunch of Heineken helped as well.

Roll Wave!
Great news!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Congrats!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Very happy to hear things are looking up.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Pepper
Swell

Congrats!
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Quite a parental milestone under the most normal of conditions. Congratulations!
ajcalhoun
Swell

Congrats, D!
God Bless Everyone!
Wavetime
Swell

Great news!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

THE BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT OF 2018

(For me that is!)

Zach just finished his exam at Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. His platelets were over 320 thousand, and all his other chemistry was perfect. The doctor didn't recognize him with his red hair filled in so well. Overall, the doctor said there couldn't be anything better to report! This is the best news I could have hoped for.

Thank you all for your continued prayers!
ccap05
Surge

Great Holiday news.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Great to hear. Will continue to keep him in my prayers.