Thoughts and Prayers Requested

cajunfanatico
Swell

Re: Thoughts and Prayers Requested

Postby cajunfanatico » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:18 pm

Dave, just saw this thread and wish young Zach all the best in the world. It's wonderful that he has a twin brother who is a perfect bone marrow match and most importantly, has a loving dad like you.

As you know via our pm conversations, my dad died of multiple myeloma in 1994 and my younger brother was diagnosed with it in 2001 IIRC. When diagnosed we immediately went to the MM treatment center in Little Rock which was founded by Sam Walton who, I believe, ultimately died of the disease. I don't recall the head doctor's name there, a German, but he told us it was extremely rare to see the disease in family members so closely related. Topping that off, my mother died of chronic leukemia in 2012. As my brother and I always said, great parents, lousy genes.

Anyway, they treated my brother for a year or two but the condition worsened to the point that a bone marrow transplant was considered. I had a marrow sample extracted there at the treatment center but was not a close enough match to use. They ultimately decided to do a stem cell transplant using his own marrow. Over the course of many months we made regular trips to LR where they extracted and separated his stem cells and froze them for later transplant. When the time arrived for the transplant, they gave him a powerful chemo treatment that basically killed his bone marrow. You can imagine the shape he was in by the time he had the transplant.

I believe he had the transplant in 2003 or 2004 and when we discussed his chances thereafter, they were guarded.......perhaps 5 years they told us.

Well, I'm happy to report my brother is still alive and as healthy as he can be for his age. Miracles do happen Dave.

God speed to young Zach. He'll be in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you as well.

Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.