Baseball Trivia

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

What was Mickey Mantle's original jersey number with the Yankees ?

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
dza
Ripple

When Mantle came up to the Yankees in 1951 he was assigned number 6. During the season he was sent down to the minors. When he returned to the Yankees someone else had been given number six so he took number 7.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DZA....U are correct...however when Mantle returned to the Yankees for the KC farm team, he did not want the number 6 or the pressure of follwoing Ruth-3...Gerig-4..DiMaggio-5 and thus he was given number 7
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
dza
Ripple

According the HBO documentary on Mantle, number 6 had been given to someone else (I believe it was former Tulanian Bobby Brown). I don't recall their saying that Mantle didn't want number 6.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DZA...U could well be correct...when i travel to Dallas on biz i always go to Nate's in Addison, it was one of Mickey's hangout's after playing Golf almost each day...one of Mick's freinds gsave me the story about the number 6...if you are a Yankee fan and love to play golf, U may wish to consider the Roger Maris 61 celebrity shoot out in Fargo ND...it is amazing just who may show up