The Bag Man: What we're competing with

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
lano
Ripple

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... -interview

Behind the scenes article of "Bag Men" and how they recruit players to their teams using cold hard cash. As we start competing for higher level recruits, is this what we'll have to do (continue doing?) to get commitments from high level recruits?

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

lano wrote:http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... -interview

Behind the scenes article of "Bag Men" and how they recruit players to their teams using cold hard cash. As we start competing for higher level recruits, is this what we'll have to do (continue doing?) to get commitments from high level recruits?
Word was that LSU had a bag man for years in their basketball program under Dale Brown.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

I doubt this happens much except for the SEC.

I'd say to remain competitive in the American, this is probably not something we'd have to resort to.
threeputt
High Tide

L ..... O ..... L .....
Fred Dowler
Riptide

threeputt wrote:
L ..... O ..... L .....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Very interesting article. The comments are worth reading as well. Non-SEC fans ragging on the SEC, SEC fans saying its the same everywhere, B1G fans saying they're not like that, etc, etc, etc, lol....
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:

Word was that LSU had a bag man for years in their basketball program under Dale Brown.
We had one at the end of the Danforth years into Ned Fowlers years. Tom Green, whom took a Fairliegh-Dickinson team to the NCAA tourney a couple of times, allegedly gave Hot Rod a shoebox full of cash, and boosters were paying him throughout his stay at Tulane. That was the final straw in the point shaving investigation that lead to Eamon Kelly pulling the plug on Tulane Basketball. I wonder if that's what has Cowen so happy with a lousy team?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

We had one at the end of the Danforth years into Ned Fowlers years. Tom Green, whom took a Fairliegh-Dickinson team to the NCAA tourney a couple of times, allegedly gave Hot Rod a shoebox full of cash, and boosters were paying him throughout his stay at Tulane. That was the final straw in the point shaving investigation that lead to Eamon Kelly pulling the plug on Tulane Basketball. I wonder if that's what has Cowen so happy with a lousy team?
Extra money was given to him to help out with doctor bills and to replace his family's house trailer that burned down.
It was illegal but meant to help them out in a time of need. Wrong, but for the right reason.
Sources in the D.A.'s office maintain that Williams took the money and used part of it to pay doctor bills incurred by his family, then bought himself a used car. Once at Tulane he received, according to one source, payments of $20, then $30, then $40, all on an irregular basis. It was not until the trailer burned, the source says, that Williams occasionally received $100 a week. McWilliams says Fowler told him, "I gave John money because he had a baby, his house had burned down and he was penniless. How can I look a boy in the face without a dime in his pocket and say, I'm sorry, but I can't help you'? In my case, I did the right thing, and it turned out wrong." Contacted by SI, Fowler said, "If you think the players were lined up outside my office like [it was] a cash window, that's just not right."

McWilliams, who back in 1940 received one of the first five basketball scholarships ever awarded by Tulane, says he understands the dilemma. He told Fowler, "Coach, the whole thing came tumbling down once you started doling. You lost discipline, then control of the situation. Most of all, you knew you were breaking the rules." Fowler, according to McWilliams, then told him, "You're right."
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

The money given to him was to replace his family's house trailer that burned down. It wasn't given to come to Tulane.
It was illegal but meant to help them out in a time of need. Wrong, but for the right reason.
I've always wondered what would've been had Hot Rod been given more during his playing days, and warned against gambling interests. Gambling was rampant on campus back then, as a matter of fact it was when I got started betting on sports. He really did have
Too much at stock!!
:roll: :shock: :o :lol:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Well, during the fall of my freshman year, I was living in Monroe, and Hot Rod had a nice new Cutlass Supreme with license plate on the front, in chrome script, Hot Rod. He washed and waxed it constantly. Hot Rod and I crossed paths years later when he was with Cleveland at a hotel in Boston. We shared an elevator He was very humble, and engaging. Nice man caught in a bad situation that wasn't his doing.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

The money given to him was to replace his family's house trailer that burned down. It wasn't given to come to Tulane.
I've always wondered what would've been had Hot Rod been given more during his playing days, and warned against gambling interests. Gambling was rampant on campus back then, as a matter of fact it was when I got started betting on sports. He really did have
Too much at stock!!
Eamon Kelly maintained that it was not the gambling that's been the essence of the story of that whole story but the fact of what the coaches were doing that really had motivated him to do what he did.

Yet -- I've always thought that the fraternity guys then were the real villains in the story, if anyone was -- and yet they got off by turning state's evidence.

Was Hot Rod some kind of ssuper erious criminal whose conviction merited all of the maneuvering that they did? No way. I will never accept that the prosecutors there were not out to make some kind of a name for themselves by nailing him. When he finally was acquitted I wanted to celebrate.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Well, during the fall of my freshman year, I was living in Monroe, and Hot Rod had a nice new Cutlass Supreme with license plate on the front, in chrome script, Hot Rod. He washed and waxed it constantly. Hot Rod and I crossed paths years later when he was with Cleveland at a hotel in Boston. We shared an elevator He was very humble, and engaging. Nice man caught in a bad situation that wasn't his doing.
That was the usual vehicle for not just him, if you understand what I mean.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

And that whole episode is what led to the same old model that we have in place today.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Fred Dowler wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Too much at stock!!
Eamon Kelly maintained that it was not the gambling that's been the essence of the story of that whole story but the fact of what the coaches were doing that really had motivated him to do what he did.

Yet -- I've always thought that the fraternity guys then were the real villains in the story, if anyone was -- and yet they got off by turning state's evidence.

Was Hot Rod some kind of ssuper erious criminal whose conviction merited all of the maneuvering that they did? No way. I will never accept that the prosecutors there were not out to make some kind of a name for themselves by nailing him. When he finally was acquitted I wanted to celebrate.
Not only the Fraternity guys, but his teammates as well. He, like Trent Mackey, was found "not guilty". That was a far cry from innocent.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote: We had one at the end of the Danforth years into Ned Fowlers years. Tom Green, whom took a Fairliegh-Dickinson team to the NCAA tourney a couple of times, allegedly gave Hot Rod a shoebox full of cash, and boosters were paying him throughout his stay at Tulane. That was the final straw in the point shaving investigation that lead to Eamon Kelly pulling the plug on Tulane Basketball. I wonder if that's what has Cowen so happy with a lousy team?
Too much at stock!!

Not only the Fraternity guys, but his teammates as well. He, like Trent Mackey, was found "not guilty". That was a far cry from innocent.
Huge difference imho between what Hot Rod was accused of (and the all-out effort to go after him and nail him) and what Trent Mackey was accused of.