U La La in Lafayette this Tuesday

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

exflash wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
exflash wrote:In the exact manner by which Louisiana Tech and LSUNO changed their name---so did USL to the University of Louisiana--by the vote of the board almost unanimous---We went by the name, diplomas were handed out with the name, signage was changed---then LSU stepped in and got an LSU backer/judge to totally reject the precedent that had been set and because there was no actual state law he said it was unlawful---See why I always pull for you guys against LSU??? So we were forced back to USL and then with a law saying that if 2 schools would go with the geographical addition we could change our name ---UL is so much more a major university compared to the Monroe school---Double the enrollment, triple the doctorates, endowment and resource funding for UL is more than the entire U of L system combined and we think Tier I is very close---we started late due to the JUCO system in the state and helping the local kids transition ---The campus as well as the athletics department have had over $500K in improvements in the last few years!!! It has
ALWAYS had so much waisted potential that finally is being used!! Yea we are pretty excited and as my mom was a Newcomb alumna I didn't like how that or your engineering school took hits!!! Just like we had a 30 year guy holding us back, I certainly understand you guys' disdain for your long time president!

$500,000, dam you are moving up in the world.
----Sorry $500 million!!1

And yet somehow they've found the money to invest in athletics that you think is so unrealistic for Tulane.
$500mm, really, can you provide a breakdown. What about the funding, what about the bonding. What about the fact that Higher Education in LA sucks.......and your school is TierII. Oh, I know you just build more athletic facilities and that will be the solution (as JJ would assert).

In the JJ world, you just unload on athletics, and he never discusses the risk nor does he explain how he (sitting in some lab in NCal) is the expert but all these presidents/ADs are fools for not taking out massive loans/bonds. Spare me the BCS comparisons, lets talk schools in TU/ULLs position.

You think TU can raise the funds, explain to me how? I am sure banks will be giddy to bond out to a program with no fans and a history of poor leadership, winning and fan support. Oh, maybe we raise student fees? Even the investment ULL is making (seems a lot less than $500mm) it is a huge gamble, will be interesting how it turns out.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:If no one posts after this, maybe we can let this tread die already. Don't give a rat's ass about ULL.
+100000000000000000000000000000000
Move it to the Other Forum
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:
exflash wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
exflash wrote:In the exact manner by which Louisiana Tech and LSUNO changed their name---so did USL to the University of Louisiana--by the vote of the board almost unanimous---We went by the name, diplomas were handed out with the name, signage was changed---then LSU stepped in and got an LSU backer/judge to totally reject the precedent that had been set and because there was no actual state law he said it was unlawful---See why I always pull for you guys against LSU??? So we were forced back to USL and then with a law saying that if 2 schools would go with the geographical addition we could change our name ---UL is so much more a major university compared to the Monroe school---Double the enrollment, triple the doctorates, endowment and resource funding for UL is more than the entire U of L system combined and we think Tier I is very close---we started late due to the JUCO system in the state and helping the local kids transition ---The campus as well as the athletics department have had over $500K in improvements in the last few years!!! It has
ALWAYS had so much waisted potential that finally is being used!! Yea we are pretty excited and as my mom was a Newcomb alumna I didn't like how that or your engineering school took hits!!! Just like we had a 30 year guy holding us back, I certainly understand you guys' disdain for your long time president!

$500,000, dam you are moving up in the world.
----Sorry $500 million!!1

And yet somehow they've found the money to invest in athletics that you think is so unrealistic for Tulane.
$500mm, really, can you provide a breakdown. What about the funding, what about the bonding. What about the fact that Higher Education in LA sucks.......and your school is TierII. Oh, I know you just build more athletic facilities and that will be the solution (as JJ would assert).

In the JJ world, you just unload on athletics, and he never discusses the risk nor does he explain how he (sitting in some lab in NCal) is the expert but all these presidents/ADs are fools for not taking out massive loans/bonds. Spare me the BCS comparisons, lets talk schools in TU/ULLs position.

You think TU can raise the funds, explain to me how? I am sure banks will be giddy to bond out to a program with no fans and a history of poor leadership, winning and fan support. Oh, maybe we raise student fees? Even the investment ULL is making (seems a lot less than $500mm) it is a huge gamble, will be interesting how it turns out.
"During Jindal’s first four years of office, between 2008 and ’12, funding for two-year colleges plunged 26.3 percent and funding for four-year colleges decreased 18.2 percent, according to the Southern Regional Education Board’s 2013 Fact Book. The reductions added up to $2,000 to $2,400 less funding per full-time equivalent student, SREB statistics show.

Moreover, a report compiled by the Board of Regents, Louisiana’s coordinating board for higher education, says that state funding for the entire higher education system was cut 42 percent in those years, with less than half replaced with increases in student tuition. Additional cuts in 2012-’13, will increase these staggering figures in future reports."

http://www.myneworleans.com/New-Orleans ... Education/

Yay, let's just dump money into athletics......I notice neither of you discuss the academic side/effects. I am obviously very pro athletics, but I am also realistic and prefer to look at more than just one side of an issue.

Agenda: an underlying often ideological plan or program
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:If no one posts after this, maybe we can let this tread die already. Don't give a rat's ass about ULL.
The State's "Flagship University," LSWHO, is ranked USN&WR 135, something for ULALA to "aspire for," since ULALA has no USN&WR numerical ranking at all.

BIG STEVE, TIME TO DEEP SIX THIS THREAD!

And, ROLL WAVE ROLL!!!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
The State's "Flagship University," LSWHO, is ranked USN&WR 135, something for ULALA to "aspire for," since ULALA has no USN&WR numerical ranking at all.

BIG STEVE, TIME TO DEEP SIX THIS THREAD!

And, ROLL WAVE ROLL!!!
It certainly should not be on the main board.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:

It's actually quite easy. Tulane spends $80M/year on non academic/auxilliary enterprises and $25M on libraries. I could find an available $10M a year in there in less than 5 minutes. Meanwhile, you seem to be unaware that doing nothing also carries risk. In fact, with the higher ed bubble bursting doing nothing is probably the bigger risk.

Since all the universities that have invested in athletics have benefitted, perhaps you can explain what the risk is of investing money in athletics. Look at ULL. They probably brought 4K the last time they played in NOLA before Hudspeth. They brought 40K this last time. The economics of college athletics are pretty well established and the investment is easy to justify.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

It's actually quite easy. Tulane spends $80M/year on non academic/auxilliary enterprises and $25M on libraries. I could find an available $10M a year in there in less than 5 minutes. Meanwhile, you seem to be unaware that doing nothing also carries risk. In fact, with the higher ed bubble bursting doing nothing is probably the bigger risk.

Since all the universities that have invested in athletics have benefitted, perhaps you can explain what the risk is of investing money in athletics. Look at ULL. They probably brought 4K the last time they played in NOLA before Hudspeth. They brought 40K this last time. The economics of college athletics are pretty well established and the investment is easy to justify.
Really, everyone who has invested in athletics has benefited.....how and the F do you know? I am sure all these CUSA/Sunbelt schools are rolling in the dough after building their assets and making their investments.

Back to the library argument good god.....oh and why don't you explain to me what the $80mm makes up in detail? All those cuts should go over well with retaining profs, students and our academic ratings from peers. On your next trip to NOLA, you should go by Howard-Tilton and the business libraries, may allow you to make an informed opinion as to their value as hard assets to students.

Wasting everyone's time with these broad comparisons and simplistic views. Just say it clearly, you think TU should go into deep debt to invest in athletics, because that's what it will take, and that just may work. Luckily donors were largely responsible for the over $100mm to date (which incidentally is close to or perhaps more than ULL has spent tmk), but donors are just about tapped out as we see with the OCS funding. To be clear, I don't know how different our POVs really are, I think the scale is just different and our realities are VERY different. I would have liked to see different things prioritized and some financial risk, but none of this $500mm nonsense. My problem with you is the typical myopic JJ statements that lack vision of the true cost/benefits (or at the very least are never discussed). It's like some little teenage game that you are trying to win. Most just shut you out. I dip my toe in the water but only to pass the time at this point.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Really, everyone who has invested in athletics has benefited.....how and the F do you know? I am sure all these CUSA/Sunbelt schools are rolling in the dough after building their assets and making their investments.

Back to the library argument good god.....oh and why don't you explain to me what the $80mm makes up in detail? All those cuts should go over well with retaining profs, students and our academic ratings from peers. On your next trip to NOLA, you should go by Howard-Tilton and the business libraries, may allow you to make an informed opinion as to their value as hard assets to students.

Wasting everyone's time with these broad comparisons and simplistic views. Just say it clearly, you think TU should go into deep debt to invest in athletics, because that's what it will take, and that just may work. Luckily donors were largely responsible for the over $100mm to date (which incidentally is close to or perhaps more than ULL has spent tmk), but donors are just about tapped out as we see with the OCS funding. To be clear, I don't know how different our POVs really are, I think the scale is just different and our realities are VERY different. I would have liked to see different things prioritized and some financial risk, but none of this $500mm nonsense. My problem with you is the typical myopic JJ statements that lack vision of the true cost/benefits (or at the very least are never discussed). It's like some little teenage game that you are trying to win. Most just shut you out. I dip my toe in the water but only to pass the time at this point.
You confuse your opinions with facts. Here's the numbers on ULL:
Farmer said community support of athletics has grown steadily over the past two years, with a 34-percent increase in football ticket sales this year and a 76-percent increase in donations to the RCAF.
http://theadvocate.com/sports/7845924-1 ... upgrade-to
“This has been very big. But at the same time, it’s just four years ago, we launched our athletic foundation. Here we are only four years in, and the growth in that, 72 percent this year (from last year in) dollars raised, $1.25 million raised. The number of donors has increased 90 percent. Season tickets are at an all-time high, 11,000. It is moving.’’
http://www.nola.com/nobowl/index.ssf/20 ... udspe.html

Meanwhile, you continue to fail to understand that athletics doesn't just contribute to a P&L, that it is unrivaled marketing and branding for a university, and having failure associated with your athletic program (as Tulane does currently) is negative brand equity.

You'll also notice that at no point did I say anything about going into debt, rather redirecting funds from other useless areas like the Jackson, MS campus or reducing library expenses. Also, the OCS is providing, per Tulane, about $10M additional per year that could be used to invest in infrastructure, but they won't do that. So I said nothing about debt and the money could be easily found, if we had decent leadership.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

You confuse your opinions with facts. Here's the numbers on ULL:
Farmer said community support of athletics has grown steadily over the past two years, with a 34-percent increase in football ticket sales this year and a 76-percent increase in donations to the RCAF.
http://theadvocate.com/sports/7845924-1 ... upgrade-to
“This has been very big. But at the same time, it’s just four years ago, we launched our athletic foundation. Here we are only four years in, and the growth in that, 72 percent this year (from last year in) dollars raised, $1.25 million raised. The number of donors has increased 90 percent. Season tickets are at an all-time high, 11,000. It is moving.’’
http://www.nola.com/nobowl/index.ssf/20 ... udspe.html

Meanwhile, you continue to fail to understand that athletics doesn't just contribute to a P&L, that it is unrivaled marketing and branding for a university, and having failure associated with your athletic program (as Tulane does currently) is negative brand equity.

You'll also notice that at no point did I say anything about going into debt, rather redirecting funds from other useless areas like the Jackson, MS campus or reducing library expenses. Also, the OCS is providing, per Tulane, about $10M additional per year that could be used to invest in infrastructure, but they won't do that. So I said nothing about debt and the money could be easily found, if we had decent leadership.
Seriously, wtf are you talking about, when did I say ULL wasn't improving? What does that have to do with this statement from you:

"Since all the universities that have invested in athletics have benefited".

Do you not understand how preposterous your POV is.....everyone benefits but only JJ realizes it sitting on his perch, while all these long time presidents and men/women who have spent their lives to big time athletics don't? Dude, you need to check yourself, not sure why you always use one example to speak for an entire industry.

Not to mention, their (ULLs) improvements were basically before their big investments, but who cares about facts. They righted the ship, grew their fanbase back and now are making a bigger push, mmmmmmmmmm?????? Also, their investments are (so far) less than TU, though they had a better starting point.

What about their poor academics, long term bonding payments and all the fired professors/reduced budgets across the LA higher education campuses. Does that matter? I am glad they are making a push and hope it works out. But the discussion is far from simple and this could backfire bigtime.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Seriously, wtf are you talking about, when did I say ULL wasn't improving? What does that have to do with this statement from you:

Do you not understand how preposterous your POV is.....everyone benefits but only JJ realizes it sitting on his perch, while all these long time presidents and men/women who have spent their lives to big time athletics don't? Dude, you need to check yourself, not sure why you always use one example to speak for an entire industry.

Not to mention, their (ULLs) improvements were basically before their big investments, but who cares about facts. They righted the ship, grew their fanbase back and now are making a bigger push, mmmmmmmmmm?????? Also, their investments are (so far) less than TU, though they had a better starting point.

What about their poor academics, long term bonding payments and all the fired professors/reduced budgets across the LA higher education campuses. Does that matter? I am glad they are making a push and hope it works out. But the discussion is far from simple and this could backfire bigtime.
Except, I'm not the only one who realizes it. Everyone else seems to realize it except Scott Cowen.
exflash
High Tide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Except, I'm not the only one who realizes it. Everyone else seems to realize it except Scott Cowen.
--------Guys I didn't want to give the impression that $500 million has gone to athletics but for the entire campus to be renovated---We couldn't increase enrollment cause we didn't have housing---now we will be able to accommodate the 20K projected students--Now also about the money---First from the state, then the student fees are a huge part, as mentioned the city is behind this in projected business projects, the Cajun Dome will get a $25 million upgrade to make it one of the best bball places in the country, and finally the fans who are the RCAF funding along with increased ticket sales and surcharges!!!! Again we are so lucky to have the oil money that is circulating in the Acadiana area---Just didn't want you to think we are T A and M with the $500 mil for a stadium!!!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

exflash wrote: Except, I'm not the only one who realizes it. Everyone else seems to realize it except Scott Cowen.
--------Guys I didn't want to give the impression that $500 million has gone to athletics but for the entire campus to be renovated---We couldn't increase enrollment cause we didn't have housing---now we will be able to accommodate the 20K projected students--Now also about the money---First from the state, then the student fees are a huge part, as mentioned the city is behind this in projected business projects, the Cajun Dome will get a $25 million upgrade to make it one of the best bball places in the country, and finally the fans who are the RCAF funding along with increased ticket sales and surcharges!!!! Again we are so lucky to have the oil money that is circulating in the Acadiana area---Just didn't want you to think we are T A and M with the $500 mil for a stadium!!![/quote]

I think some of us are just jealous that you have good leadership, the results of which are clear. I don't agree with all of the direction, but respect aggressive leadership. Meanwhile, we have many apologists around here that try to justify whatever Tulane's leadership does. It's easier to try to justify current decisions than it is to accept that they are utterly incompetent fools who are running the university into the ground. I have no doubt that ULL's leadership sees Tulane's floundering direction and rising price tag as a huge opportunity and they are taking advantage.
DrBox
Riptide

The only facility ULL athletics has built with its own money is Lamson field and I guess the baseball field. Now the first phase of the master plan is through bank loans, leveraged, to their credit, from revenues on ticket sales. But they borrowed those funds. We couldn't do such a thing because our deadbeat AD has produced teams so bad for so long (while relishing in their ineptitude) that it will take years to get the fans back.
But the rest for ULL is via the taxpayers. ULL doesn't have a student fee although they should be required to use it to replace the taxpayer and tuition dollars they scoop from their general fund to support athletics. As for cajundome improvements, that's as silly as giving Tulane credit for superdome improvements in the past - they rent the cajundome.
But kudos to them. They are getting competitive. That's the idea, after all.
But spare me the yak from people who don't even know where ULL is saying how great they are funding their programs. Tulane donors have put 50-100 times more into our facilities in the last decade than they have into theirs. WE possibly misprioritized, but we have put money into them.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:The only facility ULL athletics has built with its own money is Lamson field and I guess the baseball field. Now the first phase of the master plan is through bank loans, leveraged, to their credit, from revenues on ticket sales. But they borrowed those funds. We couldn't do such a thing because our deadbeat AD has produced teams so bad for so long (while relishing in their ineptitude) that it will take years to get the fans back.
But the rest for ULL is via the taxpayers. ULL doesn't have a student fee although they should be required to use it to replace the taxpayer and tuition dollars they scoop from their general fund to support athletics. As for cajundome improvements, that's as silly as giving Tulane credit for superdome improvements in the past - they rent the cajundome.
But spare me the yak from people who don't even know where ULL is saying how great they are funding their programs. Tulane donors have put 50-100 times more into our facilities in the last decade than they have into theirs. WE possibly misprioritized, but we have put money into them.
I don't care how or why ULL funded their programs. The point is they didn't misprioritize and are thus seeing the benefits. Tulane donors appear to be morons for continuing to let Scott Cowen flush their money and university down the toilet.
Wave755
Tsunami

All of this over Sunbelt ULALA, Lafayette's UNO???
Last edited by Wave755 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:All of this over Sunbelt ULALA, Lafayette's UNO???
Exactly. The Cajuns are doing well. As the world turns.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JDTulane
Riptide

Ill sleep very well knowing wuich university degree is on my wall atm tyvm
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DrBox wrote:The only facility ULL athletics has built with its own money is Lamson field and I guess the baseball field. Now the first phase of the master plan is through bank loans, leveraged, to their credit, from revenues on ticket sales. But they borrowed those funds. We couldn't do such a thing because our deadbeat AD has produced teams so bad for so long (while relishing in their ineptitude) that it will take years to get the fans back.
Their website indicated per semester fees of $750 - $1100. Not sure what they are used for....
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JDTulane wrote:Ill sleep very well knowing wuich university degree is on my wall atm tyvm
It's fine to say that and think that, but if one were to take the mathematical cost of a Tulane vs ULL bachelors degree and weigh it against the expected value of a Tulane vs ULL bachelors degree, the result might not be so clear cut. Obviously, mileage may vary.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

I don't understand this. Once there was an air of inevitability, that ULL would not be mentioned in the same breath as Tulane. But at the current moment there is no doubt that ULL is currently the 2nd best athletic program in the state, thanks to the morons in charge at Tulane. Hopefully CJ can get that mantle back for us, but acting like ULL isn't relevant to Tulane, especially regarding athletics, is some real head in the sand stuff.
Wave755
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
I don't understand this. Once there was an air of inevitability, that ULL would not be mentioned in the same breath as Tulane. But at the current moment there is no doubt that ULL is currently the 2nd best athletic program in the state, thanks to the morons in charge at Tulane. Hopefully CJ can get that mantle back for us, but acting like ULL isn't relevant to Tulane, especially regarding athletics, is some real head in the sand stuff.
An academic JOKE university in the Sunbelt conference, please give me a break (By the way, the State's "Flagship University," LSU, is USN&WR ranked 135!)
JDTulane
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
JDTulane wrote:Ill sleep very well knowing wuich university degree is on my wall atm tyvm
It's fine to say that and think that, but if one were to take the mathematical cost of a Tulane vs ULL bachelors degree and weigh it against the expected value of a Tulane vs ULL bachelors degree, the result might not be so clear cut. Obviously, mileage may vary.

For what I paid in my undergrad, the doors it opened for my masters and PhD, rankings, etc.... I will sleep very, very well.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

JDTulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

For what I paid in my undergrad, the doors it opened for my masters and PhD, rankings, etc.... I will sleep very, very well.

People really need to understand that TU is very giving. The tuition number is just a selling point and/or used to essentially pay for the better students. It's still over priced for many, but I would without a doubt pay double (probably far more) for a TU degree as opposed to a Tier II school.

The Sun Belt is a disgusting mess.

Cajun's average "announced" home attendance was around 25k, BTW.

Too much ULL talk.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
JDTulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

People really need to understand that TU is very giving. The tuition number is just a selling point and/or used to essentially pay for the better students. It's still over priced for many, but I would without a doubt pay double (probably far more) for a TU degree as opposed to a Tier II school.

Too much ULL talk.
Well that would be a statistically poor investment. Unless you are paying for a top 20, maybe top 30 degree, then it simply becomes a cost-benefit, as a bachelors degree is becoming less valuable across the board. The expected earnings from a bachelors degree at Tulane and a bachelors degree from ULL are not that different to justify the extra $200K to invest in Tulane.

Yes the Sun Belt is a mess, but the point is ULL is achieving this in a horrendous conference. They are being aggressive in everything from facilities to branding (hence, "UL"). Maybe they don't make it where they want to go because they have too many limitations, but damn if it's hard to read Tulane fans talking down at a program that is currently ahead of us in every conceivable measurement, except for wasted natural resources.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
JDTulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Too much ULL talk.
Well that would be a statistically poor investment. Unless you are paying for a top 20, maybe top 30 degree, then it simply becomes a cost-benefit, as a bachelors degree is becoming less valuable across the board. The expected earnings from a bachelors degree at Tulane and a bachelors degree from ULL are not that different to justify the extra $200K to invest in Tulane.

Yes the Sun Belt is a mess, but the point is ULL is achieving this in a horrendous conference. They are being aggressive in everything from facilities to branding (hence, "UL"). Maybe they don't make it where they want to go because they have too many limitations, but damn if it's hard to read Tulane fans talking down at a program that is currently ahead of us in every conceivable measurement, except for wasted natural resources.

What don't you understand about TU being very giving? I paid precisely nothing in tuition for two years, but as you have pointed out, I don't understand business. Most of the undergrads were on major financial packages. Also, major matters and your blanket statements are unproductive.