U La La in Lafayette this Tuesday

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
TURVS71
Swell

I have paid $900.00 a year for the last 6 years for 3 season tickets and have spent hundreds of hours at the park along with $100s on concessions. This is unacceptable!!!!

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Wave755
Tsunami

JDTulane wrote:Yikss big loss
So ironic that Cowen's plan for 2003 was to end football at Tulane and become in reality solely a "baseball school" and continuing to neglect completely basketball. Cowen leaves baseball in "shambles" with Turchin in danger of becoming a "white elephant" existing only to truncate the new football stadium. And, with the change in the transfer rule now laying bare Jones' recruiting issues.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote:
So ironic that Cowen's plan for 2003 was to end football at Tulane and become in reality solely a "baseball school" and continuing to neglect completely basketball. Cowen leaves baseball in "shambles" with Turchin in danger of becoming a "white elephant" existing only to truncate the new football stadium. And, with the change in the transfer rule now laying bare Jones' recruiting issues.
You really can't make this up, the admin actually steps up and makes a big investment (at least comparatively big to the rest of D1 baseball) and it blows up in their face. The aftershocks of that investment are rumbling throughout the department and limiting our abilty to grow in the two sports that really matter.

This is why I rant about not having a cohesive master plan. Cue the Benny Hill music.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote:http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... trugg.html
The tuition cost is a particular challenge at Tulane because Tulane doesn’t have the endowment as Rice, another prominent Conference USA, high-academic private institution.

Rice lists its 2012 endowment as over $4 billion on its website. Tulane’s endowment is $1.2 billion, Dickson said. The endowment subsidizes costs for every student.

“(Tulane's endowment is) not as robust as a Stanford, Vanderbilt or Rice and that puts us in with a grouping of those that are struggling with this,” Dickson said.

Some private schools have more academic aid packaging that can minimize the 11.7 scholarship factor all college baseball programs face.

Tulane has responded by implementing a net price calculator that can give recruits a better idea of what kind of aid is available to them.
How does one explain TCU, they have the exact same profile as TU (which is a bit sad). Tourney 9 out of the last 10 along with a few supers and a college world series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Schlossnagle

What is going on with this program is totally unacceptable. No more excuses from the admin, coaches or anyone else.
Jonathan
Riptide

Why TCU Schlossnagle a great coach and recruiter!
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:
I stil think that TU football, while not yet all the way down to total non-scholarship status, is still headed for and just about locked into a trajectory to some kind of a mid-major or "somewhere south of full-flavor big-time" status -- if someone would insist that it isn't there yet.

And of course the era of success in bball in the 1990s was brought to an end and now if TU were to somehow repeat what was done in 1985 you'd have to wonder how people would even care.

And, yes, I agree with what was said that apparently there was a vision to have TU be a de facto "baseball school (emulating Cal. State-Fullerton?)." Which has completely blown up.

How scary could things be?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
You really can't make this up, the admin actually steps up and makes a big investment (at least comparatively big to the rest of D1 baseball) and it blows up in their face. The aftershocks of that investment are rumbling throughout the department and limiting our abilty to grow in the two sports that really matter.

This is why I rant about not having a cohesive master plan. Cue the Benny Hill music.
Indeed.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Tuition at TCU is about half the price of Tulane's, I'm not sure what kind of aid they offer compared to us. Not sure saying they have the same profile as us is that accurate. TCU had a 1st round draft pick sign with them instead of the Major leagues. That was a big part of their College World Series run. Schlossnagle missed the regionals last year and is on pace to miss them again this year.

It is unacceptable, I cant disagree with that right now. You can call them excuses, but they are facts you can continue to ignore them if you like, but its become tougher to win here. Don't mistake that for me saying everything is A-ok and the coaches don't deserve a fair share of the blame.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Fred Dowler wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
I stil think that TU football, while not yet all the way down to total non-scholarship status, is still headed for and just about locked into a trajectory to some kind of a mid-major or "somewhere south of full-flavor big-time" status -- if someone would insist that it isn't there yet.

And of course the era of success in bball in the 1990s was brought to an end and now if TU were to somehow repeat what was done in 1985 you'd have to wonder how people would even care.

And, yes, I agree with what was said that apparently there was a vision to have TU be a de facto "baseball school (emulating Cal. State-Fullerton?)." Which has completely blown up.

Fred, we've been a mid-major since the mid-60's. Once we left the SEC, we became a mid-major. The only exception to that rule is Notre Dame, which sets it's own rules (like it or not).
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

For the last 16 years Cowen has been interesting to watch only in the same sense someone with Tourette syndrome is interesting to watch, you just never knew what he might say or do next! For example, first build a new baseball stadium and later a basketball/volleyball practice facility and then “sandwich in” between them a new football stadium, truly f-ing amazing! :roll: :shock: :evil:
Last edited by Wave755 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

Fred, we've been a mid-major since the mid-60's. Once we left the SEC, we became a mid-major. The only exception to that rule is Notre Dame, which sets it's own rules (like it or not).
There's something to be said for that but I suppose you could say that in the 1970s and 1980s there were still more than a few people around who had memories of TU football having been something more serious to boost up attendance and then there have been at least some games against name opponents to all still leave at least some taste and feel of big-time.

I foresee even the slight taste and feel of big-time being all gone in not too long (yet ticket prices will be going up anyway) and no doubt in my mind that this is what Cowen and Dickson would prefer or at least are comfortable with and then I don't really see, as some people seem to, that "the Curtis Johnson regime is blossoming and on the cusp of delivering the program to some kind of elevated and/or improving status...." I still say that jury is still out on the Curtis Johnson regime and the 2013 results didn't establish a whole lot as far as I can see. A more difficult schedule and, say, a 5-win season (a probable scenario in the 2014 season) isn't going to cement anything, either, that things are definitely headed in the right direction when what's needed in order to really prove something good happening would be something like a back-to-back-to-back string of 8-win/9-win seasons.

Nonetheless, now that this has gone onto this tangent this far, the whole main point is that I concur very much with the thought that Cowen and Dickson have no concern and no vision or commitment at all for TU to have some kind of genuine big-time status in the main two sports that matter. They were willing to somewhat pull the trigger on going for it with college baseball, have TU be a "baseball school" but that's it.
Last edited by Fred Dowler on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote:Tuition at TCU is about half the price of Tulane's, I'm not sure what kind of aid they offer compared to us. Not sure saying they have the same profile as us is that accurate. TCU had a 1st round draft pick sign with them instead of the Major leagues. That was a big part of their College World Series run. Schlossnagle missed the regionals last year and is on pace to miss them again this year.

It is unacceptable, I cant disagree with that right now. You can call them excuses, but they are facts you can continue to ignore them if you like, but its become tougher to win here. Don't mistake that for me saying everything is A-ok and the coaches don't deserve a fair share of the blame.
TCU $50k per year

http://www.financialaid.tcu.edu/cost.asp

Tulane $60k per year

http://admission.tulane.edu/aid/tuition.php

Equal endowment. Accepting that they don't make it this year, 9 out of 11 years NCAA tourney. 4 out of the last 6.

Tulane 4 of 11 including 0 for the last 6.

Most alarming, is they (TCU) have THREE TIMES the area to build on and we can't afford to take up precious space for a baseball team that under performs (and I can only guess) is losing money.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:For the last 16 years Cowen has been interesting to watch only in the same sense someone with Tourette syndrome is interesting to watch, you just never knew what he would say or do next! For example, first build a new baseball stadium and later a basketball/volleyball practice facility and then “sandwich in” between them a new football stadium, truly f-ing amazing! :roll: :shock: :evil:
The interesting thing is the academic land grab that happened over time. When I attended Tulane athletics occupied the entire property from Willow St to Claiborne Ave. Once Tulane Stadium was demolished the land grab began. Now with the dorms and Reilly Center in the area of the old stadium athletics lost a good chunk of its original land. Can you imagine we once had an 86,000 stadium plus another 100 yard football practice field plus an outdoor competition track.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Sunday night at 10:30pm on Fox 8's "The Final Play" will feature the rise of Louisiana Lafayette's to the top of Louisiana athletics. They are going to talk about the Baseball team's rise to number 1 in the nation, The basketball team being the only NCAA bid from La and the football team's recent bowl runs and huge expansion plans for its stadium and other new planned athletic facilities.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Sunday night at 10:30pm on Fox 8's "The Final Play" will feature the rise of Louisiana Lafayette's to the top of Louisiana athletics. They are going to talk about the Baseball team's rise to number 1 in the nation, The basketball team being the only NCAA bid from La and the football team's recent bowl runs and huge expansion plans for its stadium and other new planned athletic facilities.
In only CJs second year if Montana hadn't made one of the dumbest throws in the history of Tulane football (even the women fans were screaming, "don't throw it") or Santos had made the 47 yard field goal sending the game to overtime, we would have defeated "little" LALA in the New Orleans Bowl. Greater New Orleans & the River Parishes alone have enough talent after LSU for a top 25 football team, much like THE U did for Southeastern Florida in the 1980s; since forever we have controlled our own destiny but have simply chosen "non-competitive status" for our football program.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Profoundwizard wrote:Tuition at TCU is about half the price of Tulane's, I'm not sure what kind of aid they offer compared to us. Not sure saying they have the same profile as us is that accurate. TCU had a 1st round draft pick sign with them instead of the Major leagues. That was a big part of their College World Series run. Schlossnagle missed the regionals last year and is on pace to miss them again this year.

It's become tougher to win here because of the corrupt leadership that we've had since 1998. That would be bad enough, but that corrupt leadership has taken over Tulane's Board and established themselves as dictators who get to make the rules for what goes at Tulane while they make themselves rich in the process. And they intend to get away with this for the rest of their lives.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Sunday night at 10:30pm on Fox 8's "The Final Play" will feature the rise of Louisiana Lafayette's to the top of Louisiana athletics. They are going to talk about the Baseball team's rise to number 1 in the nation, The basketball team being the only NCAA bid from La and the football team's recent bowl runs and huge expansion plans for its stadium and other new planned athletic facilities.
Of course. This was once unthinkable. Now it's the reality. We've been passed up as ULL is doing everything they can to improve on the field and off (facilities, branding as "UL") whereas the JACK@SS in charge of Tulane Athletics is bragging about shooting for the middle of the treadmill and his boss is busy throwing himself parades.

Meanwhile, I'm being told I'm unrealistic in expecting that Tulane should not be beaten out by a Louisiana directional school. :roll:

Kudos to ULL's leadership, who are just highlighting what fools Cowen/Dickson are. :evil: :evil:
Jonathan
Riptide

TCU tuition,room and board approximately the same as TU at approx $50,000 per year. Thanks for posting TCU's website. No excuses. The U La La game was humiliating and embarrassing. The players they recruited locally and in state should be on our team. They are the number 4 team in the nation and will host a super regional. Tulane again for many years will not make the NCAA tournament and probably will not make the CUSA tournament this year. Rick retire. At this point we cannot make any excuses for Jones and staff!
Jonathan
Riptide

This makes me laugh. I have heard every excuse possible why the Rick Jones's Tulane baseball program is in the tank since 2008 but this is one of the best! The "other board" is saying that the reason that we were humiliated and embarrassed 16-0 by U La La this week was their bats had more spring in them than ours!
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:This makes me laugh. I have heard every excuse possible why the Rick Jones's Tulane baseball program is in the tank since 2008 but this is one of the best! The "other board" is saying that the reason that we were humiliated and embarrassed 16-0 by U La La this week was their bats had more spring in them than ours!
And I would agree with some of the responses that if it is actually true that the team has been using "bad bats" and they know that that's the major problem then that's even worse than if the bats that they are using are actually okay.
Last edited by Fred Dowler on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profoundwizard
Swell

The other board isn't saying that, one guy is and everyone else thinks he's crazy.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jonathan wrote:This makes me laugh. I have heard every excuse possible why the Rick Jones's Tulane baseball program is in the tank since 2008 but this is one of the best! The "other board" is saying that the reason that we were humiliated and embarrassed 16-0 by U La La this week was their bats had more spring in them than ours!
I'll tell you a funny story about Blake Dean (former LSU player that now is a volunteer assistant coach at UNO.) and the new bats. I'm friends with one of the players on the UNO team. He told me this story the other night. All the kids were complaining to Dean about how bad the bats are and how no one can hit HR's with the current bats. Dean grabs one of the kids bats and proceeds to hit 5 out of 6 pitches out the park. If it's as simple as getting Louisville Slugger (ULL) bats than I'm sure we would have had them years ago. LSU uses DeMarini bats. South Carolina uses Rawling's (same as Tulane) and they won 2 straight CWS prior to last year. ULL does use a different ball when playing at home. Unless they are rolling their bats all are made to the exact same specs. If I had to guess most of our problems are between the ears.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Attached find article from the Lafayette Daily Advisor newspaper for the LALA view of our 16-0 debacle and embarrassment. For the article one of the LALA players is quoted as saying, “I think their pitchers just kind of gave up a little bit, and they just started leaving pitches in the zone, and, with our team, that’s something you don’t want to do.” Sad, truly sad for our once proud Tulane baseball program.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20 ... -Wave-16-0
Jonathan
Riptide

Sad but probably true. Our .233 batting average this year really bothers me along with no team leaders since 2008. I wish that I can think of something positive to say now about the team and coaches other than our big win over LSU A&M.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote:Attached find article from the Lafayette Daily Advisor newspaper for the LALA view of our 16-0 debacle and embarrassment. For the article one of the LALA players is quoted as saying, “I think their pitchers just kind of gave up a little bit, and they just started leaving pitches in the zone, and, with our team, that’s something you don’t want to do.” Sad, truly sad for our once proud Tulane baseball program.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20 ... -Wave-16-0
Truly sad, but that's what happens when we don't judge by wins and losses.