Vandy, "The Harvard of the South," Mans Up

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
timlan2057
Ripple

I grudgingly agree that Vanderbilt, at this stage of the game, has more right to wear the title: "Harvard of the South," than Tulane.

But look at what the "academic school" is doing. Do they have their noses up in the air like Gibson Hall?

No, they're offering a 3M contract to Gus Malzahn of Auburn.

Hmm ... I wonder. I bet they think that a viable football program will only enhance their academics, endowment and overall funding.

Cowen needs to go up to Nashville and straighten them out. :mrgreen:

http://www.mrsec.com/2010/12/vu-offers- ... the-wings/

LSUA Student, LSU Fan, , and Proud Tulane Band Parent
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Timlan...please read my post under the topic "so much".... I hope you and you family have a wonderful week end..who knows i may get back to Alex on day !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JTLiuzza
Swell

I'm sure their academic rankings will plummet now. ;)
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Dupergreenie
Surge

c'mon! you know we have to keep the blame on the 'review', katrina and every other excuse rather then tulane not stepping up.....
timlan2057
Ripple

According to the Washington Post, Vandy has hired Gus Malzahn.

Yeah, yeah, I know Gibson Hall would trot out a million reasons why Tulane cannot step up and hire a REAL coach.

But think ... if Tulane had hired Malzahn, how much buzz would it create in New Orleans and around the country about the program and the school?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrap ... rbilt.html
LSUA Student, LSU Fan, , and Proud Tulane Band Parent
Wavebacker
Ripple

If Tulane had BCS money we could really make a high profile hire. I think investing in a great coach is worth it but it's not worth it to overspend on one unless he's close to a sure thing.
JTLiuzza
Swell

SMU figured out a way to do it. And they went from doormat to CUSA championship game in three years.

TCU has been able to do pretty well in the coaching department without BCS money.

Boise State reloads with a good coach every now and again without BCS money.

The bargain hunting, on the cheap approach isn't working. Tulane needs to get out of the "why we can't" thinking and turn it into "why can't we?" thinking.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.