Sugar Bowl tickets still not selling even at $31 a pop

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The Sugar Bowl is going to take a beating this year since it strickly depends on ticket sales to make money.
http://mobile.nola.com/advnola/pm_29228 ... d=jPrJOlCr
To aid ticket sales, Louisville announced Dec. 14 that Papa John’s Pizza, headquartered in Louisville, had made a donation to reduce the price of terrace tickets from $135 to $65. That, however, didn’t seem to make much of a difference as terrace level tickets are going for as low as $31 on the secondary market.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Green Wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:The Sugar Bowl is going to take a beating this year since it strickly depends on ticket sales to make money.
To aid ticket sales, Louisville announced Dec. 14 that Papa John’s Pizza, headquartered in Louisville, had made a donation to reduce the price of terrace tickets from $135 to $65. That, however, didn’t seem to make much of a difference as terrace level tickets are going for as low as $31 on the secondary market.
Does anyone know how many tickets the Teams participating in the game are obligated to buy?
ROLL WAVE!
sader24
Tsunami

Not sure, but I know Clemson and LSU have both sold only 9,000 of their 18,000 allotments. It seems the New Orleans Bowl has been the most well attended bowl in person of the year.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Green Wave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:The Sugar Bowl is going to take a beating this year since it strickly depends on ticket sales to make money.
Does anyone know how many tickets the Teams participating in the game are obligated to buy?
17,500 for each school.
Tulane Class of 1981
OGSB
Swell

See, if it were in Tulane Stadium there would be "demand".
Livin' rent free
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:Not sure, but I know Clemson and LSU have both sold only 9,000 of their 18,000 allotments. It seems the New Orleans Bowl has been the most well attended bowl in person of the year.
This speaks volumes about a variety of topics.
Krewe of Ham & Eggs
High Tide

Saw on ESPN that the attendance was 54,178
Tulane Class of 2004
OGSB
Swell

Krewe of Ham & Eggs wrote:Saw on ESPN that the attendance was 54,178
You could see the empty seats, even on standard def.
Livin' rent free
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

A friend of mine went down there and someone outside gave him a couple of free tickets. He told me he had more fun at the Nola Bowl than the Sugar. The current BCS has killed most of the major bowl games. No interest in buying overpriced tickets for lousy mstchups.
Tulane Class of 1981
OGSB
Swell

tpstulane wrote:A friend of mine went down there and someone outside gave him a couple of free tickets. He told me he had more fun at the Nola Bowl than the Sugar. The current BCS has killed most of the major bowl games. No interest in buying overpriced tickets for lousy mstchups.
I've been seeing empty seats at a few schools that normally sell out. You could see them when Fla played ULL at home earlier this year. Economy playing a part or something else?
Livin' rent free
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OGSB wrote:
tpstulane wrote:A friend of mine went down there and someone outside gave him a couple of free tickets. He told me he had more fun at the Nola Bowl than the Sugar. The current BCS has killed most of the major bowl games. No interest in buying overpriced tickets for lousy mstchups.
I've been seeing empty seats at a few schools that normally sell out. You could see them when Fla played ULL at home earlier this year. Economy playing a part or something else?
Big screen HD TV's
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Hopefully this means the Sugar Bowl Committee members aren't making hundreds of thousands of dollars for their efforts this year. Not for profit?? HA!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
BC Wave
Swell

Word is turnstile count for NOLA Bowl was higher than the Sugar.
OGSB
Swell

Watched a bit of the Fiesta Bowl last night, it seemed like the camera guys refused to show the upper level. Every once and again I caught a glimspe, looked like they were closed. Maybe the Sugar could do the same?
Livin' rent free
KsWave
Low Tide

Attendance was 70,242...
OGSB
Swell

KsWave wrote:Attendance was 70,242...
Actual? Eh, I could be wrong. Didn't watch the game beyond catching a score here and there.
Livin' rent free
KsWave
Low Tide

OGSB wrote:
KsWave wrote:Attendance was 70,242...
Actual? Eh, I could be wrong. Didn't watch the game beyond catching a score here and there.
Supposedly, but we know how those work...

This article has a pic near the bottom that seems to show people in the top deck, although blurry.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1467 ... m-2013-fie

FWIW, I watched in an attempt to see the stands and they did a good job of not showing the upper deck all game long!

And from personal experience, people from Kansas will travel anywhere for any reason to get out of Kansas!

Oh, and they actually thought they could win, so there's that too!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

These Bowl game Chairmen are the same morons that try to sell us on the idea that a D1 playoff won't work. They have too much at stake, with their $600k+ salaries (ridiculous, given that the "charity" they represent donates a small fraction of that to real charities, and distributes $millions to their cronies on the committee). Time to overhaul this outdated system and get a real post-season tournament. Allow the lesser bowls to exist for those teams that don't qualify.

Great picture of the Superdome in the article below.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013 ... st_cr.html
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

BC Wave wrote:Word is turnstile count for NOLA Bowl was higher than the Sugar.
+1
48K for Nola to 42K Sugar
Tulane Class of 1981