Bowl game attendance down again.

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Fans not falling for the BS anymore. Ticket sales are at alltime lows.
http://mobile.nola.com/advnola/db_28695 ... d=frrPXf57

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

Also, the BCS national championship game kind of made all other bowls irrelevant.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

msdos wrote:Also, the BCS national championship game kind of made all other bowls irrelevant.
+1
Yep, boy is that right.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bearwave
High Tide

Texas Bowl had 51,000 plus in the seats......didn’t hurt that one team was 3 hours away and has plenty of students and alums in the Houston area.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
cajunfanatico
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:20 am Fans not falling for the BS anymore. Ticket sales are at alltime lows.
http://mobile.nola.com/advnola/db_28695 ... d=frrPXf57
Tps, that link's not working for me. Have another? I'd like to read the article.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

msdos wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:48 am Also, the BCS national championship game kind of made all other bowls irrelevant.
Which one? The NCAA doesn't recognize the champion of the ESPN P5 Invitational as Champions.

But I TOTALLY get your point. They just need to expand to a minimum of 16 teams, and make the other bowl games part of 15 game playoff. If FCS, D2 and D3 can do it, so can FBS. A few other bowl games would make sense for those teams (like LSU this year) that shouldn't make a 16 team playoff. It may mean that a 8-4 Tulane team doesn't get a bowl bid, but at least the bowls would be meaningful. Probably a total of 25-30 bowl games with 15 being part of the tournament.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

cajunfanatico and DfromCT,

I wonder if you missed that Bearwave resurrected a thread from SEVEN years ago to make his post. I'm not surprised that tps' link doesn't work, nor am I surprised that msdos's BCS comment is no longer relevant. Maybe there needs to be a point where a thread is permanently archived after a certain number of years.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:29 pm cajunfanatico and DfromCT,

I wonder if you missed that Bearwave resurrected a thread from SEVEN years ago to make his post. I'm not surprised that tps' link doesn't work, nor am I surprised that msdos's BCS comment is no longer relevant. Maybe there needs to be a point where a thread is permanently archived after a certain number of years.
I sure missed it, but then, I'm very, very old. :D
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Totally missed it! Asleep at the wheel, I'm afraid!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:04 pm
msdos wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:48 am Also, the BCS national championship game kind of made all other bowls irrelevant.
Which one? The NCAA doesn't recognize the champion of the ESPN P5 Invitational as Champions.

But I TOTALLY get your point. They just need to expand to a minimum of 16 teams, and make the other bowl games part of 15 game playoff. If FCS, D2 and D3 can do it, so can FBS. A few other bowl games would make sense for those teams (like LSU this year) that shouldn't make a 16 team playoff. It may mean that a 8-4 Tulane team doesn't get a bowl bid, but at least the bowls would be meaningful. Probably a total of 25-30 bowl games with 15 being part of the tournament.
+1,000,000. The current bowl system is a joke. Largely meaningless. First fan support decreased, and now some of the better players are opting to not play in the games—further evidence if how useless most of these bowl games are. The FCS playoff games more interesting to watch, because they are meaningful. I’m confident the FBS will eventually expand to 16 teams, the only question will be how many of us will still be alive. Without corporate support the current bowl system would have died years ago—boycott the corporate sponsors.

I did notice that this thread was resurrected from 2012, but unfortunately it’s still largely relevant.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
kookingkajun
Low Tide

I don’t think we’ll see a 16 team playoff. Attendance would still be down in the early round. Hypothetically this year 1-Bama would play 16-Kentucky, again. If this bowl was anywhere west, not many fans would make it, knowing the better game is the following week and then some. One of the reasons the FCS looks full is that their games are played at one of the teams home field. The stadiums hold usually in the 20,000 range and i’ sure A weekend in Podunk North Dakota is a lot cheaper than a weekend in Pasadena.
OUG
Riptide

Attendance is the wrong metric. These are made for tv events, Compare the tv ratings with other events
IM42lane
Swell

kookingkajun wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:54 am I don’t think we’ll see a 16 team playoff. Attendance would still be down in the early round. Hypothetically this year 1-Bama would play 16-Kentucky, again. If this bowl was anywhere west, not many fans would make it, knowing the better game is the following week and then some. One of the reasons the FCS looks full is that their games are played at one of the teams home field. The stadiums hold usually in the 20,000 range and i’ sure A weekend in Podunk North Dakota is a lot cheaper than a weekend in Pasadena.
You may see an 8 team or a 12 team setup, but you will NEVER see 16 teams.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
HoustonWave
Tsunami

IM42lane wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:05 am
kookingkajun wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:54 am I don’t think we’ll see a 16 team playoff. Attendance would still be down in the early round. Hypothetically this year 1-Bama would play 16-Kentucky, again. If this bowl was anywhere west, not many fans would make it, knowing the better game is the following week and then some. One of the reasons the FCS looks full is that their games are played at one of the teams home field. The stadiums hold usually in the 20,000 range and i’ sure A weekend in Podunk North Dakota is a lot cheaper than a weekend in Pasadena.
You may see an 8 team or a 12 team setup, but you will NEVER see 16 teams.
Why? 16 teams makes more sense that 12. Expansion would hopefully be a slippery slope—like it was for the NCAA B-ball Tournament. The huge revenues would be like crack coacaine—can’t get enough.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Having a 16 team college playoff format would appear to pose significant challenges, not the least of which is player safety. Sixteen teams would require four games in addition to the regular season schedule and conference championship games. That would require the two finalists to have played a 17 game season.

A current trend seems to have NFL-bound players to be increasingly timid about the risks of a single additional bowl game. Would they accept the risks of playing in potentially four more games?

As a TV viewer, I would love to see it but I can't imagine it ever happening.
Bearwave
High Tide

cajunfanatico wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:34 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:29 pm cajunfanatico and DfromCT,

I sure missed it, but then, I'm very, very old. :D
This thread was on the page when I logged in, I didn’t resurrect shit.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:59 am Having a 16 team college playoff format would appear to pose significant challenges, not the least of which is player safety. Sixteen teams would require four games in addition to the regular season schedule and conference championship games. That would require the two finalists to have played a 17 game season.

A current trend seems to have NFL-bound players to be increasingly timid about the risks of a single additional bowl game. Would they accept the risks of playing in potentially four more games?

Shorten the regular season back to 10 or 11 where it used to be could save one/two weeks. Eliminate the championship game for all conferences like it used to be. Some still don’t play that game. That would save 2/3 potential games. The playoffs would draw a bigger audience than a conference championship game. Less games means less money for those that miss out on the playoffs but heck someone has to lose. Not everyone gets a trophy.
It could even rival the NCAA basketball tournament at some point. Remember teams that lose in the playoffs will not play any further therefore won’t have that many extra games.
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

OUG wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:03 am Attendance is the wrong metric. These are made for tv events, Compare the tv ratings with other events
Agreed. To me, reporting attendance these days at almost any game is misleading. What really counts is how many eyeballs are watching the game via means other than sitting in the stadium..
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The 16 team format could include a lot of play-in teams from the G5 champions, and those games would sell very well. Winner gets fed to a P5 champion or at large. There's a lot of ways to do it other than the 15 games I suggested. But giving the G5 champs an auto invite, even if the P5 champs get a bye, would be much more interesting than a whole lot of these bowl games.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:23 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:59 am Having a 16 team college playoff format would appear to pose significant challenges, not the least of which is player safety. Sixteen teams would require four games in addition to the regular season schedule and conference championship games. That would require the two finalists to have played a 17 game season.

Shorten the regular season back to 10 or 11 where it used to be could save one/two weeks. Eliminate the championship game for all conferences like it used to be. Some still don’t play that game. That would save 2/3 potential games. The playoffs would draw a bigger audience than a conference championship game. Less games means less money for those that miss out on the playoffs but heck someone has to lose. Not everyone gets a trophy.
It could even rival the NCAA basketball tournament at some point. Remember teams that lose in the playoffs will not play any further therefore won’t have that many extra games.
Great point TPS. Under a 16+ team playoff system more players will play fewer games, and be done sooner, than they are under the current bowl system. The only teams to make it to the semi-finals would have players that need to get used to a 16+ game season anyway.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:11 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Great point TPS. Under a 16+ team playoff system more players will play fewer games, and be done sooner, than they are under the current bowl system. The only teams to make it to the semi-finals would have players that need to get used to a 16+ game season anyway.
Exactly
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

G5 teams can’t compete with teams like Bama, Clemson, etc.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:34 pm G5 teams can’t compete with teams like Bama, Clemson, etc.
Neither can Notre Dame, OU or the rest of the P5..

We will see how UCF does against LSU on New Years Day.
RobertM320
Green Wave

greenie78 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:34 pm G5 teams can’t compete with teams like Bama, Clemson, etc.
Yes, but this isn't a natural thing. This was purposely created. The more ESPN and media and the autonomy 5 conferences pushed the P5/G5 narrative, the more the perception of "can't compete" was ingrained into the viewing public. The more that perception was fed, the more the networks divided us with money, which allowed the autonomy 5 to build lavish facilities and spend tons of money on glitz and glamor. The more the recruits were told and shown that autonomy 5 was better than the rest of us, the more they believed in, and the more the 4 and 5 star players wanted only to go to those schools. Because the 4-5 star players all end up at those autonomy 5 schools, there now IS a talent divide between them and the rest of us. On top of that, in order for any non-autonomy team to access the CFP, they've got to achieve a higher bar than the elite conf, because they have to schedule and beat elite conf schools while doing it with inferior talent.

Just to put a closing on this, there's been some discussion across Twitter that Dana Holgerson of WVU may be interested in the Houston coaching job. I think he's a Houston alum, or has some ties in the area. One of the first things that popped up? "Why would he want to drop down in level?" And "He won't be able to add a national championship to his resume if he does that". The indoctrination of college football fans and the general public is pretty much complete. They've accepted that G5 is an inferior brand of football, and it may be too late to ever change that.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:42 am
Yes, but this isn't a natural thing. This was purposely created. The more ESPN and media and the autonomy 5 conferences pushed the P5/G5 narrative, the more the perception of "can't compete" was ingrained into the viewing public. The more that perception was fed, the more the networks divided us with money, which allowed the autonomy 5 to build lavish facilities and spend tons of money on glitz and glamor. The more the recruits were told and shown that autonomy 5 was better than the rest of us, the more they believed in, and the more the 4 and 5 star players wanted only to go to those schools. Because the 4-5 star players all end up at those autonomy 5 schools, there now IS a talent divide between them and the rest of us. On top of that, in order for any non-autonomy team to access the CFP, they've got to achieve a higher bar than the elite conf, because they have to schedule and beat elite conf schools while doing it with inferior talent.

Just to put a closing on this, there's been some discussion across Twitter that Dana Holgerson of WVU may be interested in the Houston coaching job. I think he's a Houston alum, or has some ties in the area. One of the first things that popped up? "Why would he want to drop down in level?" And "He won't be able to add a national championship to his resume if he does that". The indoctrination of college football fans and the general public is pretty much complete. They've accepted that G5 is an inferior brand of football, and it may be too late to ever change that.
Holgerson might go because, (1) his family may prefer to live in Houston; and (2) Tillman Fertita will ensure that he and his staff are paid the same as a P5 school, and that he always has P5 level facilities. It’s highly unlikely that he’ll ever have a shot at the NC while at WVa. The only way that any G5 school can keep pace financially with the P5 is if they have a Sugar Daddy or two writing the checks.