Bowl game attendance down again.

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
RobertM320
Green Wave

The sad thing is, we probably have alums that are capable of being that person, but have no interest whatsoever.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:57 pm The sad thing is, we probably have alums that are capable of being that person, but have no interest whatsoever.
I'm sure we have a list of alums that could foot that bill, but have ZERO interest. That's part of the problem with Tulane Athletics, they don't build the fan base within the student population, which leads to a huge void in alumni donations. If you didn't care about Tulane athletics when you went to Tulane, why would you donate millions of dollars after graduation?

We need to do more to bring the big three sports (football, and mens and womens basketball) introduced to the students. Maybe there should be something as part of Freshman orientation.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:21 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:57 pm The sad thing is, we probably have alums that are capable of being that person, but have no interest whatsoever.
I'm sure we have a list of alums that could foot that bill, but have ZERO interest. That's part of the problem with Tulane Athletics, they don't build the fan base within the student population, which leads to a huge void in alumni donations. If you didn't care about Tulane athletics when you went to Tulane, why would you donate millions of dollars after graduation?

We need to do more to bring the big three sports (football, and mens and womens basketball) introduced to the students. Maybe there should be something as part of Freshman orientation.
There is and has been for the last decade a presentation to the freshman on athletics during orientation. The problem is many Tulane students just aren't interested in sports and the few who are already have their teams before they ever get to Tulane.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:01 pm

There is and has been for the last decade a presentation to the freshman on athletics during orientation. The problem is many Tulane students just aren't interested in sports and the few who are already have their teams before they ever get to Tulane.
And it was that way 37 years ago when I got to Tulane. What have they done or can they do to change that? I, for one, went from an ND fan to a Tulane fan, despite the obvious difference in success. The administration needs to make the ignorant of sports students aware and involved, and gain the loyalty of those that are into sports, but apathetic of Tulane Athletics. Otherwise there's no donor base, as we are experiencing now between generations (with no replacements on the horizon.)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
ajcalhoun
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:01 pm The problem is many Tulane students just aren't interested in sports and the few who are already have their teams before they ever get to Tulane.
Why would any real sports fan go to Tulane? Not a dig. Truth.
God Bless Everyone!
anEngineer
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:57 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:01 pm The problem is many Tulane students just aren't interested in sports and the few who are already have their teams before they ever get to Tulane.
What kind of "student" decides on a university based on sports? I like sports, but I wouldn't base my future education on it and I certainly would have discouraged my kids from doing it.
nawlinspete
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:15 am
What kind of "student" decides on a university based on sports? I like sports, but I wouldn't base my future education on it and I certainly would have discouraged my kids from doing it.
What kind.. The Alabama kind . Since Saban their enrollment has gone up 40% and the Alabama president has gushed for years about this "Saban Effect" and all of the improvements in faculty hiring a d retention , student scores , research dollars attracted , ALUMNUS and ALUMNAE DONATIONS TO BOTH ACADEMICS and ATHLETICS . In short the president repeatedly says "THE SABAN EFFECT" is the best thing to ever help the university .

We should be so fortunate....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Wave755
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:05 am
anEngineer wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:15 am
What kind.. The Alabama kind . Since Saban their enrollment has gone up 40% and the Alabama president has gushed for years about this "Saban Effect" and all of the improvements in faculty hiring a d retention , student scores , research dollars attracted , ALUMNUS and ALUMNAE DONATIONS TO BOTH ACADEMICS and ATHLETICS . In short the president repeatedly says "THE SABAN EFFECT" is the best thing to ever help the university .

We should be so fortunate....
🤔 Hmm, USN&WR for 2019 ranks Alabama Tuscaloosa no. 129? (LSWho no. 140) If any academic ratings publication ranked Tulane no. 129, Michael Fitts might well lose his job.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

Nah, the playoffs shouldn't expand. The majority of these first round games have been blowouts. The problem is rewarding every conference instead of the 4 best teams.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:17 am Nah, the playoffs shouldn't expand. The majority of these first round games have been blowouts. The problem is rewarding every conference instead of the 4 best teams.
Top 2 get a bye. 3 plays 16, 4 vs 15, 5 vs 14, 6 vs 13, 7 vs 12, 8 vs 11. 9 vs 10.
1 seed then plays lowest remaining seed and two plays 2nd lowest remaining seed and the brackets get re-seeded after Rd 1. And the rest of the matchups are set. Just like NCAA basketball you are going to have 1st Rd blowouts. That is to be expected in a playoff format. Happens at every level in sports.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

I enjoy Peter King's writing a lot. Here's his take on expanding the college playoffs:
Peter King wrote: I am not in favor of expanding the playoffs, by the way. “Student-athlete” in big-time college football is already the biggest joke in American sports. Why? Let’s say this season had an eight-team playoff, and Clemson made the championship. The current championship is set for next Monday, Jan. 7. Presume the title game in an eight-game playoff would be Jan. 14. That would mean Clemson football players would begin summer practice Aug. 3, start classes Aug. 22, have football all the way through the semester, have exams the week after the conference title game, get a break or a week or so, resume practice for the college football playoffs, play on Dec. 29 and Jan. 7, likely miss the opening of spring classes on Jan. 9, 10, and 11, play the national championship game on Jan. 14, likely miss classes on the 15th, and, perhaps, report for class on Wednesday the 16th after missing the first week of classes. The fall term was already difficult enough. And now the “students” would have to make up a week’s worth of work after a 16-game season. I say: enough.
BTW, this is if you only expand the playoffs to eight teams.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:32 am I enjoy Peter King's writing a lot. Here's his take on expanding the college playoffs:
Peter King wrote: I am not in favor of expanding the playoffs, by the way. “Student-athlete” in big-time college football is already the biggest joke in American sports. Why? Let’s say this season had an eight-team playoff, and Clemson made the championship. The current championship is set for next Monday, Jan. 7. Presume the title game in an eight-game playoff would be Jan. 14. That would mean Clemson football players would begin summer practice Aug. 3, start classes Aug. 22, have football all the way through the semester, have exams the week after the conference title game, get a break or a week or so, resume practice for the college football playoffs, play on Dec. 29 and Jan. 7, likely miss the opening of spring classes on Jan. 9, 10, and 11, play the national championship game on Jan. 14, likely miss classes on the 15th, and, perhaps, report for class on Wednesday the 16th after missing the first week of classes. The fall term was already difficult enough. And now the “students” would have to make up a week’s worth of work after a 16-game season. I say: enough.
Easy fix: Do all 3 or choose..,
You go back to 11 games and no conference championship game and eliminate the bye week like the old days. That reduces the season by at least 3 weeks.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:14 pm

And it was that way 37 years ago when I got to Tulane. What have they done or can they do to change that? I, for one, went from an ND fan to a Tulane fan, despite the obvious difference in success. The administration needs to make the ignorant of sports students aware and involved, and gain the loyalty of those that are into sports, but apathetic of Tulane Athletics. Otherwise there's no donor base, as we are experiencing now between generations (with no replacements on the horizon.)
I get where you're coming from but there's not a lot the school can do to change the students wiring . As I said above many just aren't interested at all. The one's that are into sports already have allegiances elsewhere. I know you switched but that makes you the exception not the rule. The only thing that could change it is if Tulane won at high levels in football and basketball. Winning the conference and grabbing the NY6 spot regularly in football and getting past the first weekend of the NCAA's in basketball. I hope those things happen but realistically I wouldn't bet much on it.

As to the athletics presentation at orientation it changed after you left. Many expressed for years their frustration that athletics was completely left out. That finally changed in the last decade.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:48 am
greenie78 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:17 am Nah, the playoffs shouldn't expand. The majority of these first round games have been blowouts. The problem is rewarding every conference instead of the 4 best teams.
Top 2 get a bye. 3 plays 16, 4 vs 15, 5 vs 14, 6 vs 13, 7 vs 12, 8 vs 11. 9 vs 10.
1 seed then plays lowest remaining seed and two plays 2nd lowest remaining seed and the brackets get re-seeded after Rd 1. And the rest of the matchups are set. Just like NCAA basketball you are going to have 1st Rd blowouts. That is to be expected in a playoff format. Happens at every level in sports.
=1,000. But you will also have some first round upsets and close games. It is nonsensical to not expand the playoff system. It could include all conferences, generate huge revenues, and would shift the controversial debates from who is #4 vs #5, to who is #18 vs #19. Everyone gets worked up over who is #4 vs #5--far fewer would care whether the anointed committee got the right answer to who is #18 vs #19.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:32 am I enjoy Peter King's writing a lot. Here's his take on expanding the college playoffs:
The worry about players playing a few more weeks is laughable. Peter King answers his own concerns when he starts with the fact that the notion of the "student-athlete" is already a joke--he's right. So with that, go ahead and have a full blown playoff--just like the FCS schools, and athletes, have. Ask the FBS players if they would like an expanded playoff--ask the G5 schools and coaches who have to recruit against the "created" P5 stigma if they would like to have expanded playoff--ask the vast majority of college football fans if they want an expanded playoff. The only ones probably against an expanded playoff are the top 10 football factories that know they will get more shots at an NC under the current system, than they would having to win it through an expanded playoff system. As I believe Barry Switzer once said, long before the BCS malarkey, and current four-team "playoff", "I can win more National Championships from a vote, than we could possibly win in a playoff system."--and that's a big part of the problem. The top 10 football factories have more influence with ESPN than the rest of the schools combined. Only the NCAA and the other non-factory schools can make an expanded playoff system happen. And in framing such an expanded playoff system, I hope little or no thought goes into salvaging the worthless bowl system--their corporate sponsors will quickly adapt to any new system, with or without the bowls.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:14 pm

It was that way 47 years ago when I got to Tulane. I knew nothing of Tulane athletics, but quickly became a devotee. Over the past half century, Tulane administrations have failed to instill the importance of intercollegiate athletics into the culture of the university. The rank and file faculty has never supported athletics, and many have openly disparaged it. Only Sheldon Hackney and more recently Fitts, have done anything to publicly support Tulane athletics. Longenecker was indifferent, Eamon Kelly killed basketball and created the "Tulane Model", and then we got the one-man disaster otherwise known as Scott Cowen. There has never been a concerted effort to build the athletic "front porch" at Tulane. And yes, it has been very damaging to Tulane's financial condition over those 50 years. Only time will tell if Fitts, and the board, have finally learned the lesson that other universities recognized many years ago.
WavyHoops
High Tide

There are plenty of sports fans in the Tulane student body, but like their peers at most other elite colleges, they are NFL, NBA and EPL fans (and maybe fans of their home state public flagship college team) - and they have access to those games any time they want via streaming. If Tulane were actually good they would definitely take notice, but until that time they'll just watch Zion or Tua highlights on instagram.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

WavyHoops wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:03 pm There are plenty of sports fans in the Tulane student body, but like their peers at most other elite colleges, they are NFL, NBA and EPL fans (and maybe fans of their home state public flagship college team) - and they have access to those games any time they want via streaming. If Tulane were actually good they would definitely take notice, but until that time they'll just watch Zion or Tua highlights on instagram.
100% true. It use to drive me crazy walking on campus and seeing students wearing other school’s garb (pro teams were understandable) . It especially bugged me though seeing them wear LSU stuff.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:29 pm
WavyHoops wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:03 pm There are plenty of sports fans in the Tulane student body, but like their peers at most other elite colleges, they are NFL, NBA and EPL fans (and maybe fans of their home state public flagship college team) - and they have access to those games any time they want via streaming. If Tulane were actually good they would definitely take notice, but until that time they'll just watch Zion or Tua highlights on instagram.
100% true. It use to drive me crazy walking on campus and seeing students wearing other school’s garb (pro teams were understandable) . It especially bugged me though seeing them wear LSU stuff.
Don't remember if I posted this before or not (I'm old). A couple years ago, a social media marketing company researched the most 'popular' schools by zip code in order of posts or 'likes' containing college references. In the Tulane campus zip code (70118), Tulane was the third ranked school behind 1)LSU and 2)Alabama. Third!! In our own zip code!!! Whatyagonnado?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:03 pm
Don't remember if I posted this before or not (I'm old). A couple years ago, a social media marketing company researched the most 'popular' schools by zip code in order of posts or 'likes' containing college references. In the Tulane campus zip code (70118), Tulane was the third ranked school behind 1)LSU and 2)Alabama. Third!! In our own zip code!!! Whatyagonnado?
No surprise here. Sad truth.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

In my over 50 years of going on campus for athletic events you would see Tulane students 90% of the time wearing the garb of schools that one thinks of academically not athletically.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:31 pm
In my over 50 years of going on campus for athletic events you would see Tulane students 90% of the time wearing the garb of schools that one thinks of academically not athletically.
Their first choice of schools that they couldn’t get into. :lol:
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Recently read this article on declining college attendance in general. From this past October a good read on the problem.

https://lastwordoncollegefootball.com/2 ... ttendance/
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

Miss St. vs Iowa St. For want of more stimulating entertainment, I am attempting to watch this game.

Each time the cameras focus on the MS St fans ringing those damned cowbells with zeal usually borne of meth use, I want to throw something at the TV. How, for the love of all that is holy, can these things be permitted in a football game. Why not just permit air horns?

The announcers stated that the ground rules were that:
"cowbells are allowed but cannot be abused. If they are abused, a warning will be given and they cannot be used for the rest of the game."
What? How do you enforce this? How is this not unfair to Iowa St? How about just implement the policy which the balance of the civilized world has adopted and restrict artificial noisemakers.

End of rant. Making mental note to relegate Ms State to same level of Neanderthalism as LSWho.