Paul Tulane: A French Connectiuct Yankee in Southern Gent's clothing

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
swampnik
Surge

The below from WIKI may be of interest to some, especially the last part pointing out that Tulane is the "only" US Univ. to have gone from public to private:

During the American Civil War, Tulane was the largest donor in New Orleans to the Confederate States of America, but the historian John D. Winters in his Civil War in Louisiana (1963) does not give the amount Tulane contributed.[1] For many years he gave liberally to the charitable institutions and Presbyterian churches of Princeton and New Orleans. He donated $300 (1874 value) to erect a confederate monument in the Greenwood Cemetery, New Orleans. Tulane has been described as one of the most generous contributors to the Ladies' Benevolent Association of Louisiana; an institution dedicated to producing confederate monuments.[2] In 1882, he donated $363,000 (1882 value) to improve higher education in the city of New Orleans. Tulane's Act of Donation ultimately resulted in the renaming of the University of Louisiana (founded as the Medical College of Louisiana) to The Tulane University of Louisiana, in his honor and turning the once public institution into a private one, the only such instance in United States history. -WIKI

nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I may be incorrect, but the Medical College of Louisiana was to be closed, due to "politicial corruption" diverting funds from the college and into personal accounts of the unduly elected State officials...Paul Tulane stepped forward and was willing to gift the funds to keep the school open..The medical college was the only one in the deep south doing research on tropical disease..remember Atlanta, Houston, Dallas were not really develpoed back in those days, NOLA was the economic engine of the South...the renaming of the school, had nothing to do with contributing to mounments...if I am mistaken, or misinformed, iplease let me know, and I know U will
Last edited by golfnut69 on Wed May 01, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
swampnik
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:04 am I may be incorrect, but the Medical College of Louisiana was to be closed, due to "politicial corruption" diverting funds from the college and into personal accounts of the unduly elected State officials...Paul Tulane stepped forward ans was willing to gift the funds to keep the school open..The medical college was the only one in the deep south doing research on tropical disease..remeber Atlanta, Houston, Dallas were not really develpoed back in those days, NOLA was the economic engine of the South...the renaming of the school, had nothing to do with contributing to mounments...if I am mistaken, or misinformed, iplease let me know, and I know U will
Perhaps mistaken but I think the Lee statue was built in 1882, the same year that Paul Tulane earmarked his fianacial gift to the ladies association for monument creation.
In 1850, New Orleans was the 5th largest city in the nation with 50,000 inhabitants. Nola was still 14th largest in 1960 with Dallas at 15th.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)