2/3/19 Bogus Bowl Day, so....

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Let's play did ya know..December 7th is a day of Infamy and history
that Instant Replay was firsted used in 1963.Army Navy Game...the first successful instant replay after many had failed during that game show Rollie Sitchweh scoring a Army TD...also note at teh beginning of the tape you see a game which state Dallas - Houston and a few seconds later a player with a State of Texas logo on the helmet...this game is an AFL game of the Dallas Texans vs Houston Oilers...Dallas became the KC Chiefs and Houston the TN Titans

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... dec-7-1963

The Army - Navy Games was rescheduled due to the assination of JFK...what an ending, ex LSU coah Paul Dietzel was Army' coach

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:37 am Let's play did ya know..December 7th is a day of Infamy and history
that Instant Replay was firsted used in 1963.Army Navy Game...the first successful instant replay after many had failed during that game show Rollie Sitchweh scoring a Army TD...also note at teh beginning of the tape you see a game which state Dallas - Houston and a few seconds later a player with a State of Texas logo on the helmet...this game is an AFL game of the Dallas Texans vs Houston Oilers...Dallas became the KC Chiefs and Houston the TN Titans

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... dec-7-1963

The Army - Navy Games was rescheduled due to the assination of JFK...what an ending, ex LSU coah Paul Dietzel was Army' coach

That AFL game was the 1962 AFL Championship game that was held at Jeppensen Stadium on UH campus—a real dump, even then. The Dallas Texans won the game in overtime—which then was the longest game in pro football history.

Speaking of the Bogus Bowl, the Saints organization should give each Saint player a Super Bowl Championship-sized ring to commemorate the big ripoff. Make the ring primarily black and gold, and put 2019 and “The Big Rip-off” on it. Such a ring would never let th NFL and it’s fans forget what Goodell and the NFL did to the Saints. The ring would probably become more of a collector’s item than any Super Bowl Championship ring.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
GreenLantern
Riptide

I've been on this earth for 71 years. I've watched every Super Bowl.

Until today. Not even a second.

It's strangely liberating. Unless you're the sort that enjoys the suspense of professional wrestling.

Wondering how forgiving folks in New Orleans are feeling today? This.

HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:44 pm I've been on this earth for 71 years. I've watched every Super Bowl.

Until today. Not even a second.

It's strangely liberating. Unless you're the sort that enjoys the suspense of professional wrestling.

Wondering how forgiving folks in New Orleans are feeling today? This.

Great post Lantern. You’re right—NFL = Pro Wrestling.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

IT was a very Bogus Bowl!

That being said, while recognizing that the Saints were screwed by the "no call" on an obvious pass interference, there's no guarantee that they win the game if the flag is thrown. It's likely that they would, but an offsides or holding call could have resulted in the same outcome. Or a blown play likewise could have resulted in a regulation loss. Ask Pete Caroll and the Seahawks...first and goal in that situation doesn't automatically equate to victory.

And to think there was some sort of conspiracy from the Commissioner's office is like saying 9/11 was done by our own government. It just didn't happen. And frankly, the rest of the NFL would have been up in arms if the commissioner invoked Rule 17 or whatever the hell it was.

Yes, the Saints got screwed by the lack of flags flying. No, it did not give the game to the Rams. The Saints got the ball first in OT and lost the game.

And yes, I root for the Saints. I wish they were there last night as Brees would have put on a show. But had Peyton ran the ball on three consecutive plays, I think the Saints win in regulation and Saints fans are remiss to admit that point.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Saints fans aren't remiss to admit he should have run it three times there. Payton called a run play. Brees audibled to the pass because the Rams had stacked the box. The play he audibled to had been successful numerous times during the course of the season. Thomas was open and Brees threw a poor pass. If he throws a good pass the replays show he would have scored a TD on the play.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:13 pm Saints fans aren't remiss to admit he should have run it three times there. Payton called a run play. Brees audibled to the pass because the Rams had stacked the box. The play he audibled to had been successful numerous times during the course of the season. Thomas was open and Brees threw a poor pass. If he throws a good pass the replays show he would have scored a TD on the play.
Exactly. And even without that, if the PI had been called, the Saints weren't running any more plays. They were going to do three kneel downs and a FG. That would have left LA 15 seconds and no timeouts. And you're not going to have a false start or holding on a kneeldown.

So the simple fact is, if the PI is called, the Rams never get another opportunity.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Didn't hear the actual numbers but it seems that the ratings came out for last night's game. New Orleans drew something like a 26 share, when normal for the Super Bowl would be in the 60-70 range. I'm sure it had an effect on the overall ratings as well. So Saints fans stuck to their commitment not to watch. They partied instead.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

For reference, last years rating was 53.
https://twitter.com/JeffDuncan_/status/ ... 5698897920
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:13 pm Saints fans aren't remiss to admit he should have run it three times there. Payton called a run play. Brees audibled to the pass because the Rams had stacked the box. The play he audibled to had been successful numerous times during the course of the season. Thomas was open and Brees threw a poor pass. If he throws a good pass the replays show he would have scored a TD on the play.
Was the run play that Payton called and Brees audibled out of called to gain yards or a first down?

No.

The run was called to eat more clock and force the Rams to use their last timeout.

So Brees screwed up by changing the play. The results prove that.

I get that Payton and Brees are heros in New Orleans. But they screwed up almost as badly as the referees did. And remember that the Saints got the ball first in OT and turned it over. I am not arguing that the no call wasn't horrible. It was. I'm arguing that running the ball three times would have meant that play never happens and the Saints kick a FG with less than a minute remaining and the Rams out of timeouts.

And Saints vs. Patriots (who got there by a horrible overturn of a muffed punt that I still haven't seen conclusive video evidence to overturn the call on the field) would have been a whole lot more entertaining than the sleeper we saw yesterday. Even the commercials stunk!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

At that point we needed a TD. Knowing the other team had legatron it would have been easy for them to get in his range in that minute they would have had. He called a run on first down but that doesn't indicate what he would have done after. The play calling worked. The refs failed in their job. Lewis was wide open. The pass was on the money. Then you can go for the kneel downs figuring 15 seconds and no timeouts was safe.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

The Rams had TWO time outs at the start of that sequence. 3 runs and a FG and there would have been well over a minute left in the game for the Rams to get a tying FG. Everything before the PI is irrelevant. We were at that point of the game already, so you only go forward. PI gets called, Saints would do three KNEELDOWNS, not runs, so no penalties. Kick the FG and leave the Rams 15 seconds. Big difference between 15 seconds and a minute with a kicker like Zuerlein.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I confess, I do not believe there was deliberate intent by the officials or any NFL representative to favor the Rams. However it's a lot of fun to contribute to those sort of rumors and for some reason it gives me great comfort to do so. You will NOT hear me defending referee Bill Vinovich or his crew and calling them anything but inept, bumbling, or incompetent. They are undeserving of further employment in sports officiating at any level.

It is the commissioner's silence for days after the game that made the situation intolerable for New Orleans fans. Roger Goddell, or for that matter, anyone who earns $30+ million annually and runs a $14+ billion enterprise should realize the importance of showing a hint of penitence and diplomacy after such a colossal fail. Want to alienate an entire market? Follow Goddell's lead. The folks at McDonald's are more apologetic when they screw up a sandwich order. This was absolutely Dicksonian. I'll stop there as that's my harshest insult.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:44 pm I confess, I do not believe there was deliberate intent by the officials or any NFL representative to favor the Rams. However it's a lot of fun to contribute to those sort of rumors and for some reason it gives me great comfort to do so. You will NOT hear me defending referee Bill Vinovich or his crew and calling them anything but inept, bumbling, or incompetent. They are undeserving of further employment in sports officiating at any level.

It is the commissioner's silence for days after the game that made the situation intolerable for New Orleans fans. Roger Goddell, or for that matter, anyone who earns $30+ million annually and runs a $14+ billion enterprise should realize the importance of showing a hint of penitence and diplomacy after such a colossal fail. Want to alienate an entire market? Follow Goddell's lead. The folks at McDonald's are more apologetic when they screw up a sandwich order. This was absolutely Dicksonian. I'll stop there as that's my harshest insult.
Ole Billy Vinovich is an NCAA Basketball official...a game he worked a few days after the NO -LA game the students were asked to remove all signs regarding Billy...seems they thought the fix was in at their game

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/01/bill-v ... basketball

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/re ... id=BBESrLh
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:34 pm The Rams had TWO time outs at the start of that sequence. 3 runs and a FG and there would have been well over a minute left in the game for the Rams to get a tying FG. Everything before the PI is irrelevant. We were at that point of the game already, so you only go forward. PI gets called, Saints would do three KNEELDOWNS, not runs, so no penalties. Kick the FG and leave the Rams 15 seconds. Big difference between 15 seconds and a minute with a kicker like Zuerlein.
Exactly. No blown PI call, and the Saints easily win in regulation. Everything after that is irrelevant.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:44 pm I confess, I do not believe there was deliberate intent by the officials or any NFL representative to favor the Rams. However it's a lot of fun to contribute to those sort of rumors and for some reason it gives me great comfort to do so. You will NOT hear me defending referee Bill Vinovich or his crew and calling them anything but inept, bumbling, or incompetent. They are undeserving of further employment in sports officiating at any level.

Bullseye, Lantern. Goodell was like a coward for days—and when he finally surfaces like a groundhog he makes inane statements like “we’re all human”. Just laughable. The refs involved should be permanently banned from the NFL. He was AWOL all season—in a year where the officiating was horrible most of the time. The officials had an uncanny ability to determine the outcome of many games this season, and Goodell did nothing. Goodell is just collecting a check at this point, and has damaged the integrity of the game. He’s very much like Dickson.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:21 am

Bullseye, Lantern. Goodell was like a coward for days—and when he finally surfaces like a groundhog he makes inane statements like “we’re all human”. Just laughable. The refs involved just be permanently banned from the NFL. He was AWOL all season—in a year where the officiating was horrible most of the time. The officials had an uncanny ability to determine the outcome of many games this season, and Goodell did nothing. Goodell is just collecting a check at this point, and has damaged the integrity of the game. He’s very much like Dickson.
If ole Golly Roger wants to implore the "humanity' of officiating...then eliminate all replay....The worse commisioner any sport has ever had, he is worse then Bud Selig, and that is really saying something...
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:13 am
RobertM320 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:34 pm The Rams had TWO time outs at the start of that sequence. 3 runs and a FG and there would have been well over a minute left in the game for the Rams to get a tying FG. Everything before the PI is irrelevant. We were at that point of the game already, so you only go forward. PI gets called, Saints would do three KNEELDOWNS, not runs, so no penalties. Kick the FG and leave the Rams 15 seconds. Big difference between 15 seconds and a minute with a kicker like Zuerlein.
Exactly. No blown PI call, and the Saints easily win in regulation. Everything after that is irrelevant.
Finally, someone gets it. This is how I like to explain it to Rams fans: let's forget the PI for a moment and go back to the last play of last years NFCCG. Suppose the officials had ruled Stefan Diggs stepped out of bounds at the ten, even though replay clearly showed he didn't. Since he's ruled out of bounds, its not a scoring play, which means its not reviewable. Would they consider that as the refs costing the Vikings the game, or would they say "well, the Vikings had other chances to win"? An official non-call CAN directly change the result of a game.