The Saints/Rams Game

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I am perhaps the angriest of the Angry Wave:

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Even Rush Limbaugh took time out from his show today. He just spent 1/2 hour blasting the NFL and saying the Saints got hosed. He even took a call from a Saints fan that attended Sunday’s debacle. Said Roger Goodell needs to fix this ASAP.
Said Rule 17 Sec 2 allows for this to be corrected.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

the NE - KC game had some interesting flags thrown and not thrown...the phatom roughing the passer pentalty on 3rd down against KC...the non called pass interfence against NE when everyone thought the ball had been tipped at the line of scrimmage, yet not one official made the tipping motion and could have been reviewed if the flag had been thrown...the NFL wanted NE vs L.A....the number of TV sets involved and the cost of commercials are thru the roof...at present the cost of a 30 second commercial is about 5 million dollars
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:11 pm the NE - KC game had some interesting flags thrown and not thrown...teh phatom roughing the passer pentalty on 3rd down against KC...the non called pass interfence against NE when everyone thought the ball had been tipped at the line of scrimmage, yet not one official made the tipping motion and couold have been reviewed if the flag had been thrown...teh NFL wanted NE vs L.A....the number of TV sets involved and the cost of commercilals are thru the roof...at present the cost of a 30 second commercial is about 5 million dollars
They also wanted to build up the NFL fanbase in Los Angeles since having teams there is a new thing.
gbgreenie
Surge

Did not everyone think from lst Quarter on something was "Wrong". Two golden Red Zone opportunities by the Saints came up with 6 pts. not 14 pts. The star running back for the Rams Todd Gurley was not playing, no injury even announcers confused. The master of using the clock Sean Peyton passing the ball at the two minute warning giving the Rams time to get the tying field gold, instead of forcing the Rams to burn their time outs??? Dree Brees throwing the ball up for grabs in desperation unlike Brees getting intercepted??? The Rams should not have been in this game except the Saints kept them in the game to win at the end. Something smells more than just the blown call. Look at the whole picture, is this the NFL playing for ratings even involving the teams themselves???
nawlinspete
Riptide

Da Bears would have easily beaten Rams and Saints if they had just laid down and let Vikings win the regular season finale so they would have gotten Vikings for the third time , in Chicago instead of having to have their balls busted by their inept FG kicker .

Bears were clearly the NFC BEST TEAM except for having a terrible FG kicker , a problem we can well appreciate .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
GreenLantern
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:05 pm Da Bears would have easily beaten Rams and Saints if they had just laid down and let Vikings win the regular season finale so they would have gotten Vikings for the third time , in Chicago instead of having to have their balls busted by their inept FG kicker .

Bears were clearly the NFC BEST TEAM except for having a terrible FG kicker , a problem we can well appreciate .
Thank you for that, Pete. Now I feel even worse.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Goodell really should do it. I mean, he'd have fewer people pissed off in LA than he does right now in New Orleans and the rest of the country. They have no fanbase. Of course, Falcons, Panthers and Eagles fans wouldn't agree with him changing it either. But the biggest reason he wont do it? Because the Patriots would rather face the Rams than the Saints.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:58 pm
Goodell really should do it. I mean, he'd have fewer people pissed off in LA than he does right now in New Orleans and the rest of the country. They have no fanbase. Of course, Falcons, Panthers and Eagles fans wouldn't agree with him changing it either. But the biggest reason he wont do it? Because the Patriots would rather face the Rams than the Saints.
someon should contact Morris Bart and file a lwsuit...it would be great to see a judge issue an injuction that would put the Super Bowl on hold
Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
gbgreenie
Surge

Probably a rule change will be made that pass interference becomes a reviewable call and will count as one of the challenges allowed during the game. Word from sources of the NFL.
gbgreenie
Surge

Now some of you have completely flipped out, no way in hell will that or any game get reversed by the commissioner for a disputed call. Every week we have complaints. In reality fans view games, with Rose Colored glasses and it is always their team getting screwed. Those calls usually are offset against each team. No way will or should a Commissioner set such a Precedent the Owners would not allow that!!!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:51 am Now some of you have completely flipped out, no way in hell will that or any game get reversed by the commissioner for a disputed call. Every week we have complaints. In reality fans view games, with Rose Colored glasses and it is always their team getting screwed. Those calls usually are offset against each team. No way will or should a Commissioner set such a Precedent the Owners would not allow that!!!
The rule does not "reverse" the outcome, it allows the game to be continued from the enforcement of the uncalled penalty and with the same time remaining in the game
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:41 am
gbgreenie wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:51 am Now some of you have completely flipped out, no way in hell will that or any game get reversed by the commissioner for a disputed call. Every week we have complaints. In reality fans view games, with Rose Colored glasses and it is always their team getting screwed. Those calls usually are offset against each team. No way will or should a Commissioner set such a Precedent the Owners would not allow that!!!
The rule does not "reverse" the outcome, it allows the game to be continued from the enforcement of the uncalled penalty and with the same time remaining in the game
Or a complete rematch, at his discretion. And my understanding is, the rule actually does have an option where he could just reverse the outcome.

gbgreenie, this has nothing to do with fans viewing games with rose colored glasses. This was obvious to every one of the millions of football fans who DID NOT have a vested interest in the game. Its not a disputed call, it a missed call, on one of the games second largest stages. And how would the Commissioner be setting a precedent? ITS IN THE RULES that he has the power to do so.

My simple question is this: They have Rule 17 for a reason. If not for something this blatant, then when?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:45 am Probably a rule change will be made that pass interference becomes a reviewable call and will count as one of the challenges allowed during the game. Word from sources of the NFL.
If that's the only change, it still wouldn't have eliminated this farce. One, there was no PI called. That's the problem. Can you review what wasn't called? Second, it was within the last two minutes, so the coaches challenges are moot anyway.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Borrowed from a friend:
As much as I would love the opportunity for a do-over, I must inform many of you of NFL Rule 17, Section 2, Article 2 which directly precedes Rule 17, Section, Article 3 that everyone has been referring to...

"The authority and measures provided for in this entire Section 2 do not constitute a protest machinery for NFL clubs to avail themselves of in the event a dispute arises over the result of a game... The Commissioner will not apply authority in cases of complaints by clubs concerning judgmental errors or routine errors of omission by game officials. Games involving such complaints will continue to stand as completed."
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:57 pm
someon should contact Morris Bart and file a lwsuit...it would be great to see a judge issue an injuction that would put the Super Bowl on hold
+1, since Morris "Buddy" Bart routinely gets $750,000 settlements for perfectly healthy people (actors) on TV, for Buddy an injuction against the NFL for the Super Bowl under the facts of Sunday's NFC Championship game should be a "Piece of Cake"! :thumbup:
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:57 pm
Who cares? It's entertainment. Were you not entertained?
Do you think Tom Brady would prefer to play the Saints than the Rams?
gbgreenie
Surge

Goodell pleaded with Benson to keep the Saints in New Orleans after Katrina, Benson was ready to move to San Antonio. Why was Benson a hero but Goodell is always a villain in New Orleans really. New Orleans fans have a complex that its NFL against us, proven not so. Bounty gate was wrong!!!

These are the civil responses. Many, many more mirror the words of a Saints fan from the suburb of Metairie who begged anonymity when he said of Goodell's pending visit: "I hope this won't happen, but I think there will be arrests."

View photos

And yet there is another Roger Goodell story in New Orleans. It is not the one fans want to hear because nobody much in Louisiana wants to talk about the things Goodell did for the city. But in the months after Hurricane Katrina tore through the town and the flood came and the Saints left for San Antonio, it was Goodell who worked with local leaders on rebuilding the Superdome. It was Goodell who pushed to have the stadium ready in time for the Saints to return for the 2006 season. And it was Goodell, many say, who played almost as important a role as then-commissioner Paul Tagliabue in saving football in New Orleans.
Much of the credit for this goes to Tagliabue who worked hard against San Antonio politicians eager to snatch away the Saints. The former commissioner's popularity has only grown after he recently vacated the four player suspensions in a recent arbitration ruling. What is less discussed is how vital a role Goodell – as the league's chief operating officer from 2001-06 – played in getting the Saints back.
dpm wave
Swell

Whatever good will you wish to extol on Goodell was completely used up when he brought down the hammer on Benson, Loomis and Payton for his fabricated bountygate to try and gain favor in the whole CTE debacle.
ajcalhoun
Swell

So far we have gbgreenie defending Mike Dunleavy and Roger Goodell. Who's next? I hear that John Wilkes-Booth guy was a heck of an actor.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:46 pm Goodell pleaded with Benson to keep the Saints in New Orleans after Katrina, Benson was ready to move to San Antonio. Why was Benson a hero but Goodell is always a villain in New Orleans really. New Orleans fans have a complex that its NFL against us, proven not so. Bounty gate was wrong!!!

These are the civil responses. Many, many more mirror the words of a Saints fan from the suburb of Metairie who begged anonymity when he said of Goodell's pending visit: "I hope this won't happen, but I think there will be arrests."

View photos

And yet there is another Roger Goodell story in New Orleans. It is not the one fans want to hear because nobody much in Louisiana wants to talk about the things Goodell did for the city. But in the months after Hurricane Katrina tore through the town and the flood came and the Saints left for San Antonio, it was Goodell who worked with local leaders on rebuilding the Superdome. It was Goodell who pushed to have the stadium ready in time for the Saints to return for the 2006 season. And it was Goodell, many say, who played almost as important a role as then-commissioner Paul Tagliabue in saving football in New Orleans.
Much of the credit for this goes to Tagliabue who worked hard against San Antonio politicians eager to snatch away the Saints. The former commissioner's popularity has only grown after he recently vacated the four player suspensions in a recent arbitration ruling. What is less discussed is how vital a role Goodell – as the league's chief operating officer from 2001-06 – played in getting the Saints back.
just looked at who Tagliabue place on his appointed relo Board...all owners with their fanchise in the same city for decades...Headed by Lamar Hunt if memory serves
GreenLantern
Riptide

dpm wave wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:52 pm Whatever good will you wish to extol on Goodell was completely used up when he brought down the hammer on Benson, Loomis and Payton for his fabricated bountygate to try and gain favor in the whole CTE debacle.
Yup!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

It’s happening. Sports Books nationwide refunding money bet on the Saints.
https://wwl.radio.com/blogs/kristian-ga ... all-saints
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981