Let's Play "Did Ya' Know "

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
GreenLantern
Riptide

...competitive art such as sculpture, architecture, music and painting were Olympic events until 1948.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The ABA's NOLA Buc's became the Memphis Pro's....the name "pro's" was used so the old "buc's" jerseys could be reused
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

did ya know that between 1959 thru 1962 Major League Baseball had two All Star games per Season
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:44 pm did ya know that between 1959 thru 1962 Major League Baseball had two All Star games per Season
Interesting. Why? Both leagues wanted to host one?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:25 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:44 pm did ya know that between 1959 thru 1962 Major League Baseball had two All Star games per Season
Interesting. Why? Both leagues wanted to host one?
and the profits went to MLB's retirement fund
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Did Ya see the Movie based on the story of the "4 Seasons" ( mainly Frankie Valli )...in the beginning of the flick and there is a wannabe singer / gofer named "Joey'....Joey, it turns out, did alright for himself, we know him as Joe Pesci ....the name 4 seasons, comes from the bowling lanes they hung out at,
Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Did Ya Know that you could easily contract food poisoning at Rouse's in the meat department?

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:53 am Did Ya Know that you could easily contract food poisoning at Rouse's in the meat department?

or, an overall decrease in IQ, if ingested
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

on this day in 1956...that's right no typo 1956... NFL Commish, Bert Bell outlawed the use of QB Helmets, equipped with radio communications ...but kept the "Head Slap" and "ClothesLining" legal
ajcalhoun
Swell

Here's something some of our younger readers may not know (and some of our old farts may not remember.)

There used to be a preseason game played in Chicago every year (most, anyway) between the defending NFL Champ and a team of recently graduated College All-Stars. They quit in '77 when some NFL Gms and coaches decided not to risk getting their rookies injured.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_C ... Star_Game
God Bless Everyone!
DrBox
Riptide

BC Wave wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:20 pm And that the kingdom in Kansas City included Omaha
And prior to the Kings' annexation of Omaha, they were the Cincinnati Royals of Oscar Robertson fame.

Kansas City likes royalty. They move the Cincy Royals to town, renamed them, but kept the royal theme, the Kings; the baseball team is the Royals. And the football team is the king of the Indians, the Chiefs.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:36 pm
BC Wave wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:20 pm And that the kingdom in Kansas City included Omaha
And prior to the Kings' annexation of Omaha, they were the Cincinnati Royals of Oscar Robertson fame.

Kansas City likes royalty. They move the Cincy Royals to town, renamed them, but kept the royal theme, the Kings; the baseball team is the Royals. And the football team is the king of the Indians, the Chiefs.
ya know why the Big O played for Cincy.....because back in the day, the NBA was struggling and NBA teams had the right to freeze "regional players"...I think the max was two players per year and had to play college ball with "X" number of miles of the Franchise...Bob Cousy to the Celtics is another example
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:04 pm Here's something some of our younger readers may not know (and some of our old farts may not remember.)

There used to be a preseason game played in Chicago every year (most, anyway) between the defending NFL Champ and a team of recently graduated College All-Stars. They quit in '77 when some NFL Gms and coaches decided not to risk getting their rookies injured.

remember Ron Luciano, the baseball umpire.."The Umpire Srikes Back".....he played in that game, he was an All American Lineman from Syracuse
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:04 pm Here's something some of our younger readers may not know (and some of our old farts may not remember.)

Thanks. I can remember looking forward to that game even though you knew the pros were going to win. Football season was here.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ever heard of " SLIT "...U now know of it as Louisiana Lafayette...Southwest Louisiana Institute of (limited) Technology
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

while recently reading a biop of Lou Gerhig, I learned in 1924, his rookie year, the NY Yankees (previously called the Highlanders) held "spring ball' in NOLA...they stayed at the Bienville House and practiced at Heinemann Park, now the site of the Fontainebleau Hotel...Lou spent his off hours swimming at the St Charles Ave "Y' while his more well heeded teamaates headed to the 'Fairgrounds' or a section fo town that at one time was called StoryVille, named after NOLA Mayor Story and the "legal prostitution" that was in place..I think this area is where Municipal Auditorium was errected, or is it an errection ?.......now on to more MD bashing !!!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:42 am while recently reading a biop of Lou Gerhig, I learned in 1924, his rookie year, the NY Yankees (previously called the Highlanders) held "spring ball' in NOLA...they stayed at the Bienville House and practiced at Heinemann Park, now the site of the Fontainebleau Hotel...Lou spent his off hours swimming at the St Charles Ave "Y' while his more well heeded teamaates headed to the 'Fairgrounds' or a section fo town that at one time was called StoryVille, named after NOLA Mayor Story and the "legal prostitution" that was in place..I think this area is where Municipal Auditorium was errected, or is it an errection ?.......now on to more MD bashing !!!!
I remember hearing that story as a kid from my uncle who was a big baseball fan and would see the old Pelicans play at Heinemann. We grew up only a block off of Tulane and Carrollton. As kids we would sneak over to the Fontainebleau and go swimming. The year when the Miami Dolphins played the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl VI at Tulane Stadium (1972) the Dolphins stayed at the Fontainebleau. DID YA KNOW It was the coldest super bowl ever to this day I believe (39 degrees). We went by and got a few autographs from HC Don Shula and QB Bob Griese. Unfortunately today “it (the Fontainebleau Hotel) ain’t dere no more”either.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:42 am while recently reading a biop of Lou Gerhig, I learned in 1924, his rookie year, the NY Yankees (previously called the Highlanders) held "spring ball' in NOLA...they stayed at the Bienville House and practiced at Heinemann Park, now the site of the Fontainebleau Hotel...Lou spent his off hours swimming at the St Charles Ave "Y' while his more well heeded teamaates headed to the 'Fairgrounds' or a section fo town that at one time was called StoryVille, named after NOLA Mayor Story and the "legal prostitution" that was in place..I think this area is where Municipal Auditorium was errected, or is it an errection ?.......now on to more MD bashing !!!!
My Aunt played for the "Jax Girls' softball team and played in games at Heinneman between double headers....I still remember a place on Tulane ave called "The Home Plate Inn'
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Unfortunately the Fontainebleau is now storage units. Home Plate Inn ain't there no more either. Good pics tps.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:17 am Unfortunately the Fontainebleau is now storage units. Home Plate Inn ain't there no more either. Good pics tps.
there was a place in San Antonio called Raffles Resturant...it was owned by a guy who played for the Pel's...he had pic's of his days in NOLA all over the place...when I traved there I always tried to have lunch or a happy hour cocktail just to hear him talk about the "Glory Day's' as The Boss would say...He has passed and the place is now closed
Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:17 am Unfortunately the Fontainebleau is now storage units. Home Plate Inn ain't there no more either. Good pics tps.
Thanks.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:56 am
My Aunt played for the "Jax Girls' softball team and played in games at Heinneman between double headers....I still remember a place on Tulane ave called "The Home Plate Inn'
The Home Plate Inn brings back more memories. My first experience playing a pinball machine. They had a baseball theme pinball machine. Man I used to go in there all the time and play it when I had some spare change. A dime a play. A quarter would get you 3 games. Those were the days!
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:36 pm

My friend, Joe Axelson, may he rest in peace, was the GM. Joe also worked in enforcement for the NBA and told me 3 days before Michael Jordan's two year retirement that MJ was going to be suspended or retire.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V