Saw this coming when we left the Dome LSU in NOLA

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18086
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:57 am

LSU scheduled to play FSU at the Superdome
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... t=headline
LSU and Florida State will play a pair of neutral site games in 2022 and 2023, according to a report Thursday by college football reporter Brett McMurphy.

McMurphy wrote that the Tigers and Seminoles will play in 2022 in New Orleans and 2023 in Orlando, Florida.
They also working on a deal with Clemson
A report last week from the Greenville (South Carolina) News quoted Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich as saying his school is working on a game or games with LSU, either with a home-and-home series or a neutral site game.


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 728
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 am

I didn’t see how Tulane leaving the dome has anything to do with it.
Pepper
Surge
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:20 am

galvezwave wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 am
I didn’t see how Tulane leaving the dome has anything to do with it.
Maybe from a scheduling standpoint. I just hope we are are on the road when they play at the Dome.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18086
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:33 am

galvezwave wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 am
I didn’t see how Tulane leaving the dome has anything to do with it.
Easy. The Dome has the ability now to go out and replace the 5 to 6 dates we once filled. Just one P5 capacity crowd would likely come close or surpass the entire revenue for our 5 to 6 home dates. Plus that will be on prime time TV nationwide. A revenue boost for the city. Would be like a bowl game only bigger than the NOLA Bowl. Surprise it took them this long to schedule it.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2900
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:26 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:33 am
galvezwave wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 am
I didn’t see how Tulane leaving the dome has anything to do with it.
Easy. The Dome has the ability now to go out and replace the 5 to 6 dates we once filled. Just one P5 capacity crowd would likely come close or surpass the entire revenue for our 5 to 6 home dates. Plus that will be on prime time TV nationwide. A revenue boost for the city. Would be like a bowl game only bigger than the NOLA Bowl. Surprise it took them this long to schedule it.
Yep, and thanks for nothing, Scott Cowen.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12853
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Yes many of us said this when we left. As long as the Dome was our Home Stadium other schools could not play there without our permission. It is surprising the Dome didn't jump on this right after we left.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6559
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:40 pm

LSU will lose money versus playing the games in Tiger Stadium. The dome will cost them rent and other expenses (travel, hotel, etc.) and it has about 30,000 less seats. But it is a kick in the teeth of Tulane.

End the joint camps immediately. And be sure to ask the AAC to either put us on the road when they're playing in the Dome or make that our bye week.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12853
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:44 pm

They'll make their money. It won't be a matter of giving up a home game . They'll still get their usual number of those. This avoids a road game against a quality opponent and get them on what will turn out to be home turf.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6559
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:47 pm

winwave wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:44 pm
They'll make their money. It won't be a matter of giving up a home game . They'll still get their usual number of those. This avoids a road game against a quality opponent and get them on what will turn out to be home turf.
There's no limit to the amount of home games a team can have in a season. Well, I guess there is since you only get 4 OOC games and 1/2 your conference games are on the road. But certainly they'd make more money if it were played in Tiger Stadium, no doubt.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1182
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Cajuns and Mississippi State open up their seasons next year in the Dome, 31 August. Should be a decent crowd, especially if Napier has a good year this year.
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12853
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm

There is a limit. It was 7 for a long time. Not sure if that changed when things went to 12 games. They'll make money and not have to play another game on the road. That rule is why we got to play LSU in NOLA in 1973 after also being the home team in 1972 b/c they had scheduled too many home games.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2900
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:59 pm

cajunfanatico wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm
Cajuns and Mississippi State open up their seasons next year in the Dome, 31 August. Should be a decent crowd, especially if Napier has a good year this year.
:lolgreen:
cajunfanatico
Swell
Posts: 1182
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Wave755 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:59 pm
cajunfanatico wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm
Cajuns and Mississippi State open up their seasons next year in the Dome, 31 August. Should be a decent crowd, especially if Napier has a good year this year.
:lolgreen:
What's so funny.......the decent crowd part or Napier having a good season?
Jonathan: I have nothing now to complain about on any TU coaches.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6772
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm

cajunfanatico wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:06 pm
Wave755 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:59 pm
cajunfanatico wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm
Cajuns and Mississippi State open up their seasons next year in the Dome, 31 August. Should be a decent crowd, especially if Napier has a good year this year.
:lolgreen:
What's so funny.......the decent crowd part or Napier having a good season?
The Napier part is funny. The decent crowd part will have everything to do with Miss St fans looking for a trip to NOLA and nothing to do with who they're playing. It could be MSU vs Nicholls State for that matter. Of course, Cajun fans will probably come because this will be like their bowl game. Their one and only chance this season to go to the big city.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
tufinal4
Ripple
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:21 am
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm

The Dome is for rent, if we want to play a game there we just have to pay the same rent as LSU or ULL. Why would we do that.

For other reasons (cancellation of baseball series) we should either collect our $750k or our home football game owed by LSU for cancelling the football series. Also should cancel the football camp deal and switch to Texas. The baseball series was the only leverage LSU had to avoid those things. Now they removed their leverage.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6559
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:14 pm

winwave wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm
There is a limit. It was 7 for a long time. Not sure if that changed when things went to 12 games. They'll make money and not have to play another game on the road. That rule is why we got to play LSU in NOLA in 1973 after also being the home team in 1972 b/c they had scheduled too many home games.
Clearly, you didn't read my entire post. You argue the same point I make. And yes, I've known for years why the Tulane vs LSU game in 73 was in the old Stadium.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6772
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm

tufinal4 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm
The Dome is for rent, if we want to play a game there we just have to pay the same rent as LSU or ULL. Why would we do that.

For other reasons (cancellation of baseball series) we should either collect our $750k or our home football game owed by LSU for cancelling the football series. Also should cancel the football camp deal and switch to Texas. The baseball series was the only leverage LSU had to avoid those things. Now they removed their leverage.
I agree on all of this. And I'd make LSU play us in Yulman.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12853
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:29 pm

I read it and you're wrong. The NCAA does have a limit on the number of home games. It's not forced by the schedule. You can play 3 of your OOC's at home which would be 7 and the limit. So like I said this way they can play their 7 and then play a marquee game in a world renowned stadium and make a lot of money they wouldn't make with that one OOC on the road. Then of course there's the exposure this game will get due to the setting.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12853
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:31 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm
tufinal4 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm
The Dome is for rent, if we want to play a game there we just have to pay the same rent as LSU or ULL. Why would we do that.

For other reasons (cancellation of baseball series) we should either collect our $750k or our home football game owed by LSU for cancelling the football series. Also should cancel the football camp deal and switch to Texas. The baseball series was the only leverage LSU had to avoid those things. Now they removed their leverage.
I agree on all of this. And I'd make LSU play us in Yulman.
It's been said elsewhere that RD took a check for that missed game so it's over. The amount is unknown.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6559
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:12 pm

winwave wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:29 pm
I read it and you're wrong. The NCAA does have a limit on the number of home games. It's not forced by the schedule. You can play 3 of your OOC's at home which would be 7 and the limit. So like I said this way they can play their 7 and then play a marquee game in a world renowned stadium and make a lot of money they wouldn't make with that one OOC on the road. Then of course there's the exposure this game will get due to the setting.
Ok Mr Always Right:
Well, I guess there is since you only get 4 OOC games and 1/2 your conference games are on the road. But certainly they'd make more money if it were played in Tiger Stadium, no doubt.
Even you, in an earlier post, said you're not sure if the limit has gone up from 7, which we all know it was years ago, but the landscape has changed and MANY rules have changed to help the P5 schools make more money.

Then again, I said
LSU will lose money versus playing the games in Tiger Stadium. The dome will cost them rent and other expenses (travel, hotel, etc.) and it has about 30,000 less seats.
You've argued that point as well Yes, they'll make money, but not nearly as much as if they played FSU in Tiger Stadium. How can you argue that?

Go ahead and have the last word as you ALWAYS must have. I'm tired of this senseless dribble. You wore me out, which is how you typically "win" your arguments.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12853
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:22 pm

No I win b/c I'm right. The point is LSU gets their full allotment of 7 home games and then gets this so called neutral site game that amounts to a home game and gets to make a good deal of money. Don't see how you don't get it.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2926
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:23 pm

winwave wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:31 pm
RobertM320 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm
tufinal4 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm
The Dome is for rent, if we want to play a game there we just have to pay the same rent as LSU or ULL. Why would we do that.

For other reasons (cancellation of baseball series) we should either collect our $750k or our home football game owed by LSU for cancelling the football series. Also should cancel the football camp deal and switch to Texas. The baseball series was the only leverage LSU had to avoid those things. Now they removed their leverage.
I agree on all of this. And I'd make LSU play us in Yulman.
It's been said elsewhere that RD took a check for that missed game so it's over. The amount is unknown.
I think the check was to reschedule a game so LSU could play someone else in a neutral site opener on national TV. I believe they still owe us a game in New Orleans.
https://www.nola.com/300/2017/11/lsu-tu ... 32017.html
The contract was cancelled after the 2009 game, with the two sides promising to play one game, at an unspecified future date, in New Orleans. That game has yet to happen -- and the once-heated rivalry has grown decidedly cooler every year since.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5227
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:04 pm

Michigan made $6mm playing FL in Jerry Dome, I am guessing LSU will do just fine in the SuperDome.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... llion/amp/
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6559
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:01 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:04 pm
Michigan made $6mm playing FL in Jerry Dome, I am guessing LSU will do just fine in the SuperDome.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... llion/amp/
Except the Jerry Dome is about the size, seat wise as Tiger Stadium. The Dome ihas 30K less seats. I'm not saying they won't make money, but FSU would be close to, if not a sellout in Red Stick, where LSU keeps EVERY penny. Parking, concessions, ticket sales, etc. I get that it's a great deal for LSU, and it's a virtual home game. But it's not the same as hosting in their own "death valley."

I wonder if we were to play someone like, say, Alabama or Notre Dame in the SuperDome if the NCAA would consider it a neutral site game? Both of those teams would bring more fans into the SuperDome.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12853
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:28 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:04 pm
Michigan made $6mm playing FL in Jerry Dome, I am guessing LSU will do just fine in the SuperDome.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... llion/amp/
Ya don't say. :mrgreen:
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
Post Reply