Weighted baseballs causing arm injuries

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Throwing a weighted baseball causing Tommy John and other arm problems.

https://www.topvelocity.net/weighted-ba ... us-injury/

Our Ex pitching coach had some of our pitchers throw a weighted ball as part of their training. :oops:

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:44 am Throwing a weighted baseball causing Tommy John and other arm problems.

Our Ex pitching coach had some of our pitchers throw a weighted ball as part of their training. :oops:
I learned this at East Jeff in the mid 60's our coach at the time Emile "Chubby' Marks refused to allow any player to throw a "weighted ball' citing elbow and wrist injuries...he also did not allow "ankle weights' citing "shin splint issues" for any sport...Coach Marks left EJ and became the baseball coach at Bro Martin
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:37 am
tpstulane wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:44 am Throwing a weighted baseball causing Tommy John and other arm problems.

I learned this at East Jeff in the mid 60's our coach at the time Emile "Chubby' Marks refused to allow any player to throw a "weighted ball' citing elbow and wrist injuries...he also did not allow "ankle weights' citing "shin splint issues" for any sport...Coach Marks left EJ and became the baseball coach at Bro Martin
Many baseball experts (including Rick Jones) believe in motor learning where the brain with repetition teaches the body what to do. FYI you never see a basketball player shooting a weighted ball or a QB throwing a weighted FB. Why because that’s not what you do in game time. Also you probably won’t see a pitcher throw to a catcher standing up even if was short catch. Why train him to throw in a place he doesn’t throw in a game? Some feel that the weighted ball hurt Massey they believe it may have caused him to lose his feel.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

The Oregon State pitching coach has his pitchers throwing weighted balls too.
I'd suggest doing more research, because weighted balls actually aren't bad for pitchers if they know what they're doing.

Just think about the odds of it being that the only safe size ball to throw just so happens to be the exact size of the one we play baseball with. Does that sound likely or even possible? Do you think it's dangerous to go outside and play catch with a softball. Ofcourse it's not. Weighted balls are fine. Look at some of the research at other places. Topvelocity isn't the most credible source. I think they do some good stuff there but I also think they're wrong about some stuff.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:46 pm

The Oregon State pitching coach has his pitchers throwing weighted balls too.
I'd suggest doing more research, because weighted balls actually aren't bad for pitchers if they know what they're doing.

Just think about the odds of it being that the only safe size ball to throw just so happens to be the exact size of the one we play baseball with. Does that sound likely or even possible? Do you think it's dangerous to go outside and play catch with a softball. Ofcourse it's not. Weighted balls are fine. Look at some of the research at other places. Topvelocity isn't the most credible source. I think they do some good stuff there but I also think they're wrong about some stuff.
I’m sure OSU has coaches that know what they doing.
You are assuming most using weighted balls know what they are doing. That’s the problem. Many do not and it does more harm than good if they are not experienced. Long toss is generally the preferred way to safety build arm strength with little risk of injury.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

I don’t know what Tigh Dickinson did with the weighted balls at Tulane. I do know that at Arkansas St he used driveline weighted balls and is friendly with Kyle Boddy who is the founder of driveline baseball.
The pitching coach at Oregon State uses the driveline program. Now obviously Tighe didn’t get the job done at Tulane but I can assure you that the weighted balls were not the cause of the problems.
Wavetime
Swell

Coach Marks was my defensive coach at Brother Martin....Small World!

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:37 am