Speaking of Koufax

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I will list a few pitchers that I either teammates or I played against that threw pretty damn hard/fast

1-Barry Razziano East Jeff...NY Mets..California Angels.... teammate in high school...speed and control...was on the Mets staff with Tom Seaver

2-Dickie Boba... Nicholls High.... KC Royals...played with him after his release in several "Semi Pro" Tournaments and .Audubon and Mel Ott Leagues...one night at Barrow Stadium, the home plate ump said "it sounded like a strike"...he was that fast

3- Alec Pittman..Jim Pittman's Son...East Jeff...holy krap !!!...in one game he struck out 18, but walked 15,..enuff said...he later played LB for Bear Bryant at Bama

4- Ray Guy...USM.....played against him in a tournament in Biloxi,,,many know he was an all american punter but he also played DB at USM...if memory serves he still holds the record for most interceptions in a season with 8...he struck out 226 in 200 innings...the original "Wild Thing"

5- Fabian Mange...Jesuit...signed out of High School with the Braves, injured his arm and became an outfielder...another guy that could bring it from the left side

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Frank Wills DeLaSalle Tulane MLB Blue Jays

Steve Mura Redemptorist Tulane MLB Padres
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:47 pm Frank Wills DeLaSalle Tulane MLB Blue Jays

TPS... I agree..never played against either one..but one.. I will add Rick Farrizo of DLS,/LSU, faced him when he played for Westwego Jr Hi and I was at Metry Jr Hi and then later in high school
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:47 pm Frank Wills DeLaSalle Tulane MLB Blue Jays

Mura is probably the best we ever produced as a pitcher at the big league level.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

Bobby Hrapmann of Holy Cross struck me out three times on 9 fastballs. Used a lighter bat each AB. Didn’t help.

Paul Zimmerman of Jesuit struck me out three times also all fastballs but the last time I intentionally swung at a wild pitch and reached base!

Mel Schafer of Redemptorist was stupid enough to throw me slow knuckleballs on consecutive ABs so I went 2-3 against him. I guess he missed the scouting report on my weakness against hard stuff.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:14 pm

Mura is probably the best we ever produced as a pitcher at the big league level.
Several time "Dixie" would get me tickets behind the visitors dugout at the Astrodome when coming to Houston, once he picked up my son over the railingn and he played catch with Ozzie Smith, he was 7 years old !!! Still have the ball Steve gave me, I think there are 4 HOF members on that ball
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sweet.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:14 pm

Yes. He was special.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981