CWS #1 seed jinx continues now straight 20 years

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:59 am Funny stuff. However if Bianco or Mainieri was named our coach our fan base would be ecstatic. They both are in the toughest conference in the country and in what is by far the best Division in the country. All the schools there have the same resources. Silly stuff going on here.
There are pros and cons of being in the SEC for those guys. The best players in the country want to play in that conference and you can go .500 in conference play and get an NCAA Regional bid.
They’d do a good job at Tulane but I don’t think they would make us world beaters.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

As much as it pains us to say it it is the best baseball conference by far and they are in the toughest division in baseball. They've done a lot better than .500 in it to get there in most of their NCAA years. They would no doubt make us much better. We'll have to agree to disagree.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

winwave wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:08 am As much as it pains us to say it it is the best baseball conference by far and they are in the toughest division in baseball. They've done a lot better than .500 in it to get there in most of their NCAA years. They would no doubt make us much better. We'll have to agree to disagree.
Agreed. LSU / SEC. Dislike them or not, they are superior in all sports.

Only Tulane can change its course. Our performance or lack thereof sits squarely on our shoulders.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:08 am As much as it pains us to say it it is the best baseball conference by far and they are in the toughest division in baseball. They've done a lot better than .500 in it to get there in most of their NCAA years. They would no doubt make us much better. We'll have to agree to disagree.
Agree to disagree? I said they’d do a good job at Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You seemed to qualify it while I didn't. No big deal.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

Not to be as Mike Martin retires without a ring. Reminds me a lot of the late great Vikings coach Bud Grant. Went many times but never got a Super Bowl ring.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Hard to believe Coach K still has a job. All those resources and three top 10 draft picks and he coouldn't make it ot the Final Four much less win it. What a has been. :mrgreen:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There's 4 teams left in the CWS: Michigan (B1G) Texas Tech (Big 12) Vanderbilt (SEC) and Louisville (ACC).
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:34 am There's 4 teams left in the CWS: Michigan (B1G) Texas Tech (Big 12) Vanderbilt (SEC) and Louisville (ACC).
Vandy looks the strongest. I’m actually surprised they weren’t seeded #1 and UCLA #2.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

have to admit, because of what Tech did for Tulane baseball, I root for them...of course the second reason I want them to win, my wife, a Tech grad, has threatened to "cut me off"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Michigan beats Vandy in game one.
Here’s an interesting interview from the Michigan coach on travel ball and diversity in college baseball.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Vandy takes game two (4-1) making game 3 necessary.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:52 am
DfromCT wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:34 am There's 4 teams left in the CWS: Michigan (B1G) Texas Tech (Big 12) Vanderbilt (SEC) and Louisville (ACC).
Vandy looks the strongest. I’m actually surprised they weren’t seeded #1 and UCLA #2.
And therein may be the answer to why the #1 seed has failed to win it all over the past 20 years--poor seeding. Does anyone have a list of the seedings for the champions over the past 19 years? How often have one of the top four seeds won it all?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:33 am
And therein may be the answer to why the #1 seed has failed to win it all over the past 20 years--poor seeding. Does anyone have a list of the seedings for the champions over the past 19 years? How often have one of the top four seeds won it all?
sec has most depth top to bottom amongst teams, But since 2000, SEC only wins the whole thing 1 out of every 4 years, its not as much as you would think. I believe west coast team usually wins it about 33% of time. Whats really crazy to me is, for as much hype as Vandy gets nationally they've only been to CWS 4x in history of program. Texas Tech has been 4 times in last 5 years, and TCU has been 5 times since 2010.....yet vandy gets 10x more hype those guys do to simply conference affiliation. I think the SEC is best baseball conference, but they get propped up much more than they probably should in my opinion.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Vandy wins game 3 and the 2019 CWS Championship 8-2 over Michigan.
Their 2nd title ever. They probably didn’t want to be the #1 seed so UCLA got stuck. :lol:
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

So how many #1 seeds have won one the men’s Bball tourney? Important check.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:11 pm Vandy wins game 3 and the 2019 CWS Championship 8-2 over Michigan.
Their 2nd title ever. They probably didn’t want to be the #1 seed so UCLA got stuck. :lol:
Congrats to Tim Corbin, who pitched Babe Ruth Baseball in Wolfeboro, NH in 79 and 80. His catcher was my roommate at Tulane and lifelong best friend, Jim Morrison, now of Mandeville, LA.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/bas ... e-baseball

I hope some TU baseball fans can see the laziness of this story
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:29 am https://www.espn.com/college-sports/bas ... e-baseball

I hope some TU baseball fans can see the laziness of this story
Not one mention of how he got many of the best players in the country to come to a high tuition high academic private like Vandy.
I would love to see the scholarship aid each player receives on the entire roster. Now that would be a story.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RollWaveRoll wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:11 am
sec has most depth top to bottom amongst teams, But since 2000, SEC only wins the whole thing 1 out of every 4 years, its not as much as you would think. I believe west coast team usually wins it about 33% of time. Whats really crazy to me is, for as much hype as Vandy gets nationally they've only been to CWS 4x in history of program. Texas Tech has been 4 times in last 5 years, and TCU has been 5 times since 2010.....yet vandy gets 10x more hype those guys do to simply conference affiliation. I think the SEC is best baseball conference, but they get propped up much more than they probably should in my opinion.
Since 2009 they have won it six times. 2000 is a lifetime ago.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

winwave wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:11 am
Since 2009 they have won it six times. 2000 is a lifetime ago.
From 1999 to 2008 they've only won it 1x that decade, and in last 5 years they've only one it 2x. You can spin the numbers a lot of different ways here.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not trying to spin. Just keeping it current rather than going back almost 20 years to try and make something fit. Twice in 5 years is almost 50%. Much better than the 1 in 4 indicated above. It is what it is.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:37 pm Not trying to spin. Just keeping it current rather than going back almost 20 years to try and make something fit. Twice in 5 years is almost 50%. Much better than the 1 in 4 indicated above. It is what it is.
Twice in 5 years is exactly 40%, 3rd grade math to do in your head!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Like I said it’s almost 50%. Simple reading.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Vandy was nothing before Tim Corbin got there. They deserve the hype.
From 2010-2019 they have won 2 national championships. Runner up in another national championship. 4th place in another CWS.
Been in a Super Regional 8/10 years.