Rice Baseball job filled by Matt ...

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Good teams hire PROVEN winning head coaches while we hire a 21 year assistant that has given us back to back losing seasons. Something that hasn’t happened in 55 years!! Geeze!!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RJ was an assistant at GT. That one worked out. This one hasn't so far. We'll have the final answer this year on him. In basketball an assistant named Perry Clark worked out pretty good for us.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

Yes Kevin White had an eye for hiring talented assistant coaches. I think the assistant route is ok but I agree with Dave Brown Streak in that I also have concerns about 21 year assistant not getting a D1 HC job sooner.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:28 pm RJ was an assistant at GT. That one worked out. This one hasn't so far. We'll have the final answer this year on him. In basketball an assistant named Perry Clark worked out pretty good for :us.
For the record:
Rick Jones had 8 years of head coaching experience prior to Tulane. Three at Ferrum and 5 at Elon. He had 3 trips to NAIA World Series and also had Schloss as a redshirt freshman who he made student assistant. He got the GT assistant job right after getting selected as the National Coach of the Year.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Right. All at lower levels. He had no D-1 HC experience. So he was not a proven winner at this level .Jewett moved up to D-1 the year after being names the National JC Coach of the Year.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

Reading this. RJ was only an assistant for 3-4 years before getting a D1 job. Jewett 21 years. Huge difference.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No big deal but it was 16 years. The point is neither was a proven HC at this level. Also the best coach we ever had was a football coach who was a long time assistant with no HC experience, Tommy Bowden. So while everyone would love to get a proven winner that's not the only way to get a good HC. So we have three examples of that. While doubtful it would be nice to see TJ become the fourth.
Pepper
Swell

What we do know is all of those assistant coaches won immediately when they got here. The other guy, well we are still waiting. Selfishly, I'm glad Riser didn't get the job. Hopefully he will be a Greenie once again.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:49 pm What we do know is all of those assistant coaches won immediately when they got here. The other guy, well we are still waiting. Selfishly, I'm glad Riser didn't get the job. Hopefully he will be a Greenie once again.
Yes they did.Proving that the hire doesn't have to be a proven HC. As to Riser if he doesn't land another job this offseason it would be nice to have him available if we have to make a move.