Kansas fires it’s AD

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

This could get hairy for Tulane and Willie Fritz.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

no sure KU wants to hire a 50 something as it's Football Coach...the DC @ Texas - Austin makes more sense...then again there is always Sonny Dykes ans Skip Holtz to consider !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:18 am This could get hairy for Tulane and Willie Fritz.
As Golfnut points out, it's unlikely that the new AD hires a coach that's in his mid 50's, runs a gimmicky offense, and hasn't won at the AAC level (yet.). Then again, I doubt the new AD fires the football coach between now and the start of the season, so if Fritz gets the Wave rolling, maybe he becomes a candidate.

IF (and that's intentionally a big IF) Fritz signed an extension, it would sure behoove the University to reveal the details, particularly the buyout. But nothing is going to happen with the Kansas HC until the season gets underway, or more likely, until after the season.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:18 am This could get hairy for Tulane and Willie Fritz.
Dannen gets a dream job and immediately hires Willie Fritz. Both get to go close to home and double their salaries.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:40 am
As Golfnut points out, it's unlikely that the new AD hires a coach that's in his mid 50's, runs a gimmicky offense, and hasn't won at the AAC level (yet.). Then again, I doubt the new AD fires the football coach between now and the start of the season, so if Fritz gets the Wave rolling, maybe he becomes a candidate.

IF (and that's intentionally a big IF) Fritz signed an extension, it would sure behoove the University to reveal the details, particularly the buyout. But nothing is going to happen with the Kansas HC until the season gets underway, or more likely, until after the season.
Maybe, but Kansas needs a coach that has shown that they can do more with less, and, considering all of the potential candidates that would even be interested in coaching at Kansas, who has a better overall resume than Fritz?

From a coaching perspective, imagine having to win 6 games for bowl eligibility from Kansas with only 3 OOC games w/one having to be a P5 and a 9 game conference schedule in which you have to play Lincoln Riley, Tom Herman, Gary Patterson, Mike Gundy, and Bill Snyder every year - that's the majority of your conference games. That will scare away a lot of coaches as it makes that job worse than any other bottom end P5 job since other bottom end P5 jobs allow those P5s to avoid playing the best teams in the conference every year, and, that, combined with only 3 OOC games, makes that job likely the worst P5 job given how difficult it is to win.

I agree about the timing though, so the earliest the news would break would be the end of the regular season this fall.
Ruski
Swell

Show Me wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 am
Dannen gets a dream job and immediately hires Willie Fritz. Both get to go close to home and double their salaries.
And Tulane has it's reputation somewhat salvaged. It goes from a dead end dumpster fire to a p5 stepping stone. Considering where we were just a couple years ago that's tremendous improvement.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:11 pm

Maybe, but Kansas needs a coach that has shown that they can do more with less, and, considering all of the potential candidates that would even be interested in coaching at Kansas, who has a better overall resume than Fritz?

From a coaching perspective, imagine having to win 6 games for bowl eligibility from Kansas with only 3 OOC games w/one having to be a P5 and a 9 game conference schedule in which you have to play Lincoln Riley, Tom Herman, Gary Patterson, Mike Gundy, and Bill Snyder every year - that's the majority of your conference games. That will scare away a lot of coaches as it makes that job worse than any other bottom end P5 job since other bottom end P5 jobs allow those P5s to avoid playing the best teams in the conference every year, and, that, combined with only 3 OOC games, makes that job likely the worst P5 job given how difficult it is to win.

I agree about the timing though, so the earliest the news would break would be the end of the regular season this fall.
Kansas represents a huge risk for either a football coach or AD. The football coach has an obvious mountain to climb in the BigXII. Fritz would have a better chance of succeeding, in a P5 conference, staying at Tulane--in hopes that Tulane can finagle it's way into a P5.. Given Fritz's age and concerns about security, he'd be crazy to jump into the Kansas football cesspool.

I don't see it much better for any AD prospects at Kansas. The Kansas basketball program didn't save the current AD, and it won't save the next AD. The new AD won't get any credit for Kansas' basketball program, but will be judged by how they can rebuild the football program--a near impossiblility. These parasite P5 programs can't be very attractive to accomplished G5 coaches or ADs--you just become cannon fodder for the factories.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
NotJtS
Low Tide

LOL. C'mon. :lol: :lol: Y'all up in here acting like they've been the saviors of Tulane. With all due respect, they haven't done shit.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

NotJtS wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:10 pm
LOL. C'mon. :lol: :lol: Y'all up in here acting like they've been the saviors of Tulane. With all due respect, they haven't done sh*t.
They haven't, but the list of potential candidates that could make a difference for Kansas will be short. It's true Fritz hasn't done much for Tulane, but it would be interesting to see him play Big 12 teams once he has his pieces in place as once Kansas has a full allotment of scholarships, it will have a better roster than any program that he's ever been the coach of. As of last fall, Tulane was 96 and Kansas was 69.

It's really interesting because Oklahoma State interviewed Fritz's DC, Jack Curtis, for its DC opening in the offseason, so there is at least some recognition on the front. Further, Kansas currently has a recruiting pipeline to Louisiana, and the movement of Fritz would maintain that.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:26 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:11 pm

Kansas represents a huge risk for either a football coach or AD. The football coach has an obvious mountain to climb in the BigXII. Fritz would have a better chance of succeeding, in a P5 conference, staying at Tulane--in hopes that Tulane can finagle it's way into a P5.. Given Fritz's age and concerns about security, he'd be crazy to jump into the Kansas football cesspool.

I don't see it much better for any AD prospects at Kansas. The Kansas basketball program didn't save the current AD, and it won't save the next AD. The new AD won't get any credit for Kansas' basketball program, but will be judged by how they can rebuild the football program--a near impossiblility. These parasite P5 programs can't be very attractive to accomplished G5 coaches or ADs--you just become cannon fodder for the factories.
I agree that building a consistent winner at Kansas given the current format of the Big 12 is virtually impossible - someone has to take all of those losses.

However, that being said, Kansas can throw a lot of money at Fritz, and he coached HS and CC out there. That tough part is that if he builds a winner out of Kansas, he will be legendary like Bill Snyder.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Not trying to criticize our AD or coaches, but let’s be real. Neither Baseball, basketball and Football have delivered a winning season under this AD and his hires. Good Luck selling that to a P5 school and their fan base. I’m not worried about someone hiring anyone away.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NotJtS wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:10 pm
LOL. C'mon. :lol: :lol: Y'all up in here acting like they've been the saviors of Tulane. With all due respect, they haven't done sh*t.
I agree. And I love your screen name (or "handle").

As JerseyWave just posted, no need to worry at this time.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

Dream job?
And I'm sure he's KS' dream candidate.
Whatever you have to tell yourself.
Show Me
Tsunami

DrBox wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:14 pm
Dream job?
And I'm sure he's KS' dream candidate.
Whatever you have to tell yourself.
Dannen would fit nicely there in that he wouldn’t have to raise a dime.
Kansas has already started construction on a $26 million indoor football practice facility, set to be completed by late fall, that is part of it’s $350 million raised for the football program and upgrades to KU's Memorial Stadium.
Wave755
Tsunami

I doubt it because at this point both have yet to show success, but even if true, I would always rather have a coach others programs might want than the "Tulane formula" for hiring a Scelfo, Toledo or CJ who "will stay" (only because no else will ever want them for a head coaching job). And, on April 2nd Willie Fritz made 58 years old.

And, if Dannen leaves I will "get over it." I will always feel Arnie Fielkow would have been the better choice for our AD.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

just for fun, or because I was bored, I looked up the Kansas football roster, hardly anyone from Kansas on the team
https://kuathletics.com/roster.aspx?ros ... h=football
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !