UCONN MBB fires HC possible $10 mill buyout

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17931
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:22 am

They not going to settle for mediocrity. The real reason two straight losing seasons which isn’t allowed at UCONN.
https://twitter.com/fearthewaveblog/sta ... 27584?s=21
The school announced Saturday morning it was "initiating procedure to terminate" Ollie's employment for "just cause," which would mean he would not have to be paid the roughly $10 million remaining on his contract. It could, however, be the starting point of negotiations for a buyout.
UConn finished 14-18, with a loss to SMU in the first round of the AAC tournament. The Huskies were 16-17 last season.

The "just cause" would come from a pending NCAA inquiry into the program which, multiple sources have confirmed to The Courant, includes improper workouts.


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:33 am

Wonder what they are trying to include in the "just cause" clause. I'm certain that when Ollie signed the contract that he didn't foresee a just-cause termination due to his failure to win the AAC or reach the NCAA round of 16.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17931
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:41 am

GreenLantern wrote:Wonder what they are trying to include in the "just cause" clause. I'm certain that when Ollie signed the contract that he didn't foresee a just-cause termination due to his failure to win the AAC or reach the NCAA round of 16.
Two straight losing seasons is the real reason. Had he been 25-7 they wouldn’t dare fire him. They are blaming improper workouts to get out of paying him. They’ll settle for $5 mill probably.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17931
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:25 am

On ESPN just now Seth Greenberg the analyst made a comment that Connecticut needs to leave the American nobody wants to see them play East Carolina or Tulane.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
wavemania
Surge
Posts: 641
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:34 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:30 am

If Tulane would get its act together, this wouldn't be an issue. So much talent in La and MD can only get Daniels from St Aug. Look At ULL and other local schools. They are getting better talent than Dunleavy, who by the way has a losing record in the NBA and at Tulane
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5204
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:01 am

tpstulane wrote:On ESPN just now Seth Greenberg the analyst made a comment that Connecticut needs to leave the American nobody wants to see them play East Carolina or Tulane.
They have no where to go because independence in FBall, especially for a program like UConn, is just too difficult.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:37 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:On ESPN just now Seth Greenberg the analyst made a comment that Connecticut needs to leave the American nobody wants to see them play East Carolina or Tulane.
They have no where to go because independence in FBall, especially for a program like UConn, is just too difficult.
Yep, even for UCONN, a team that won the 2014 NC in basketball, it is still all about football - the true reason all of the “big boys” left the Big East.
galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:45 am

Wave755 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:On ESPN just now Seth Greenberg the analyst made a comment that Connecticut needs to leave the American nobody wants to see them play East Carolina or Tulane.
They have no where to go because independence in FBall, especially for a program like UConn, is just too difficult.
Yep, even for UCONN, a team that won the 2014 NC in basketball, it is still all about football - the true reason all of the “big boys” left the Big East.
BS comment from Greenberg. UConn made a bad hire after Calhoun retired . Are their women struggling in the American? How do you explain other teams building up.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7971
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:29 pm

tpstulane wrote:On ESPN just now Seth Greenberg the analyst made a comment that Connecticut needs to leave the American nobody wants to see them play East Carolina or Tulane.
consider the source, besides, who in the hell wants to see UConn in football ?...it ain't the ACC, SEC, Big10, or the Big12...hell for that matter not even the BIG Sky
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6311
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:55 pm

galvezwave wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:On ESPN just now Seth Greenberg the analyst made a comment that Connecticut needs to leave the American nobody wants to see them play East Carolina or Tulane.
They have no where to go because independence in FBall, especially for a program like UConn, is just too difficult.
Yep, even for UCONN, a team that won the 2014 NC in basketball, it is still all about football - the true reason all of the “big boys” left the Big East.
BS comment from Greenberg. UConn made a bad hire after Calhoun retired . Are their women struggling in the American? How do you explain other teams building up.
UConn PROMOTED the HC in waiting with Kevin Ollie. It might have been too soon for a guy that had only a few years as an assistant, but he did win a National Championship in his second season. Had that team lost in the semis of the AAC Tournament, they wouldn't have made the NCAA tournament and Ollie's butt would have been on the hot seat a lot sooner.

The women aren't struggling because Geno is still able to recruit, playing a truly national OOC schedule. The men's recruiting has suffered many say because of the conference, which is NOTHING like the Big East was. Calhoun retiring had as much to do with off court issues as it did with his age. Not sure if Ollie is a bad coach or a bad recruiter, but it was a huge blow to the basketball program to go into the AAC rather than stay in the Big East.

While I detest Greenberg's comment, I get his point in a big way. Playing arch rivals Syracuse, BC, St. Johns and Georgetown 2 or 3 times a year had much more sparkle than any "rivalry" UConn has in the AAC. They're still trying to get into the ACC.
Last edited by DfromCT on Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6519
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:00 pm

DfromCT wrote:While I detest Greenberg's comment, I get his point in a big way. Playing arch rivals Syracuse, BC, St. Johns and Georgetown 2 or 3 times a year had much more sparkle than any "rivalry" UConn has in the AAC. They're still trying to get into the ACC.
Much like Tulane playing Ole Miss, Miss St, LSU, Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt has much more sparkle than any "rivalry" Tulane has ever had in CUSA or in the AAC.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6311
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:03 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:While I detest Greenberg's comment, I get his point in a big way. Playing arch rivals Syracuse, BC, St. Johns and Georgetown 2 or 3 times a year had much more sparkle than any "rivalry" UConn has in the AAC. They're still trying to get into the ACC.
Much like Tulane playing Ole Miss, Miss St, LSU, Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt has much more sparkle than any "rivalry" Tulane has ever had in CUSA or in the AAC.

Couldn't agree more. Leaving the SEC was probably worse for Tulane than implosion of the Big East was for UConn. The Catholic Big East has done just fine, but they don't play football.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:23 pm

wavemania wrote:Look At ULL
“Mighty” Texas-Arlington beat ULALA today 71-68 at the Sunbelt basketball tourney played @ UNO.

Wavemania, enough of the ULALA Sunbelt crap! :x
Post Reply