Graff mentioned in 5 possible candidates for Saints PBP job

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Graff coming on Live here at Dunc/Holder show
phpBB [video]

Call in and ask him.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Graff on now
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:15 am
IM42lane wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:11 am If Graff takes the Saints gig, then lure Jim Henderson out of retirement to do Tulane football only. Since Jim likes to have former football players as color commentators, get Matt Forte to do that. Then you would have two guys with NFL experience (broadcasting and playing) doing college football. Find a couple of broadcast newcomers to do Tulane basketball, and then work out something to have Graff return to do Tulane baseball.

Note: I can think and dream just as outrageously as the next guy, folks. Seriously though, having Jim Henderson's voice do Tulane football would boost the number of listeners (if Tulane would find a radio station with RANGE on it --- 104.1 FM maybe).
That's a good idea.
But is Graff actually in play for the Saints job?

His name appeared in one article right after Henderson announced his retirement by one writer at the T-P who was just throwing out names. It appears to be between Hoss , Strief and Kelley. This is just summer doldrums.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Did TG talk about the Saints opportunity on the show this morning?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Graff is absolutely not a Tulane employee. He is an employee of the broadcast company. He has no employment affiliation with Tulane at all.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:18 pm Graff is absolutely not a Tulane employee. He is an employee of the broadcast company. He has no employment affiliation with Tulane at all.
I, and the person I spoke with at the Tulane University Athletic Dept stand corrected...I guess it will fall on the Broadcast company to lure Jim Henderson to take over broadcast duties
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

From Graff:
This is something I don't normally do, but in this instance I feel compelled to, so please bear with me.

As some of you know, I interviewed for the New Orleans Saints radio play by play position a month ago. Before I get into it, let me just say this. It was beyond my wildest dreams that I would actually be CONSIDERED, much less interviewed. I have so much respect for Jim Henderson and the standard he has set, not to mention the responsibility you would have for the City of New Orleans, and the whole of The Who Dat Nation. I was more than ready to take on the challenge though. Obviously, a dream job for a New Orleanian who has called games for a living.

I found out Friday night that I was no longer a candidate. Was there disappointment? Absolutely. Many tears were shed this weekend. This is not the reason I'm writing this, however. This is NOT a pity party. I know this business...I've been in it for nearly 30 years. You get your heart broken. ALOT. I chose it. So be it.

The reason I am writing this is to thank EVERYONE who has supported me during this process. When Jim retired on February 1, the Facebook posts and Tweets started that night recommending me publicly or supporting me for the job. You all will have no idea how much that meant to me. At the time, I was just doing my own job at Tulane and thinking calling Saints games was nothing more than a pipe dream. There was no way I could respond to any of it...but I knew it was there.

The past 4 months, I have received so many calls or texts or tweets from my family, close friends, media colleagues, and total strangers who told me that they were fully behind me was very humbling and overwhelming. Not to mention the people who ACTUALLY went to bat for me during this process. I CANNOT thank you all enough. I'm not going to name names here, but you know who you are. I honestly never got my hopes up (again, I know this business) but it was hard not to dream without the support of all of you. I just hope I didn't let you down.

In closing, don't be bummed for me. I HAVE a job. My dream job. I am doing what I was born to do at a place where I was a fan as a kid. I have a loving, supporting wife, two beautiful children, a tight knit Italian/Irish family, and so many close friends both in NOLA and beyond, it's almost not fair...not to mention living in the greatest city in the world. It's all good.

Very much looking forward to getting started again in August with my 12th season calling Tulane Football games. Until then, thank you all again and have a great Summer!! Roll Wave and Who Dat!!
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

The guy is so classy. Tulane is fortunate to have him.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:08 am The guy is so classy. Tulane is fortunate to have him.
Yes. For sure.

I guess they have picked someone. Should be an interesting announcement.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

I don't think they go wrong with Hoss or Kelley. I think Strief might be a bit of a reach. This is a major position and I just don't think he's paid his dues in the industry yet.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'd be fine with any of those three.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

This one (Graff) belongs to the Wave!

Although I wish for his sake he would have gotten the job.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Graff is truly a pleasure to have on our team. I've often turned him on and attempted to synch the stream of his broadcasts with the ESPN/CBSSports/Whatever broadcasts. It's often a futile attempt, but I do love listening to him do our games. We've been blessed to have a number of good announcers covering the Green Wave, for me going back to Don Crockett. I'm sure many of you go back much further, but Graff is one of the best.

I'm sorry he didn't get the job, but happy he's still OURS!

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:52 pm Graff is truly a pleasure to have on our team. I've often turned him on and attempted to synch the stream of his broadcasts with the ESPN/CBSSports/Whatever broadcasts. It's often a futile attempt, but I do love listening to him do our games. We've been blessed to have a number of good announcers covering the Green Wave, for me going back to Don Crockett. I'm sure many of you go back much further, but Graff is one of the best.

I'm sorry he didn't get the job, but happy he's still OURS!

ROLL WAVE!
Yes. Graff is one of the best. I loved Bruce Miller and Wayne Mack back in the day. Then Don Crockett was my favorite for BB. Ken Berthelot was a pro in FB. I also loved him and Jeff Cummings doing men’s BB. But I always thought when Graff and Sean Kelly did baseball they were easily the greatest duo in college sports. When Sean left Graff didn’t miss a beat. I also think he grew into FB and BB as the years went by. None more loyal than Graff.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

I think Graff has become very good on the football broadcasts. I originally thought Hoss would get the Saints gig. Seems like from what I’m reading it’s between Kelley, Joel Meyers and Zach Strief. I’m sure Graff is disappointed, but I think he’s in the right spot.
Jaxwave
Swell

IMHO, IT's got to be Kelly. Right balance between good play by play and enthusiasm (homerism.) Can't be Streif doing play by play. Too hard with no experience. Joel Myers too bland for me.
Wavetime
Swell

So glad we have Graff! The best in College Sports and a class act!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981