2018 D1 Baseball Poll

User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17033
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

2018 D1 Baseball Poll

Postby tpstulane » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:20 am

Only Houston gets ranked in the AAC
8 SEC teams in the top 16 to start the RPI bias for 2018. :lol:
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981

Pepper
Surge
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2018 D1 Baseball Poll

Postby Pepper » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:55 am

tpstulane wrote:Only Houston gets ranked in the AAC
8 SEC teams in the top 16 to start the RPI bias for 2018. :lol:
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1


Only 8? I'm shocked!


"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.

golfnut69
Tsunami
Posts: 7376
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Re: 2018 D1 Baseball Poll

Postby golfnut69 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:01 am

Pepper wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Only Houston gets ranked in the AAC
8 SEC teams in the top 16 to start the RPI bias for 2018. :lol:
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1


Only 8? I'm shocked!


makes total sense...the schools are located in "warm weather" states, Like Florida, Carolina's, Tennessee, Louisiana..as opposed to climate changing states such as Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

Pepper
Surge
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2018 D1 Baseball Poll

Postby Pepper » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:13 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Pepper wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Only Houston gets ranked in the AAC
8 SEC teams in the top 16 to start the RPI bias for 2018. :lol:
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1


Only 8? I'm shocked!


makes total sense...the schools are located in "warm weather" states, Like Florida, Carolina's, Tennessee, Louisiana..as opposed to climate changing states such as Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas


Makes no sense that #25 Duke who went 30-28 is over UCF 40-22 & USF 42-18.


"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.

Profoundwizard
Surge
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2018 D1 Baseball Poll

Postby Profoundwizard » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:36 pm

tpstulane wrote:Only Houston gets ranked in the AAC
8 SEC teams in the top 16 to start the RPI bias for 2018. :lol:
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1


There is no RPI Bias. RPI is a formula and it doesn’t take into account any polls



User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17033
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2018 D1 Baseball Poll

Postby tpstulane » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:15 pm

Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Only Houston gets ranked in the AAC
8 SEC teams in the top 16 to start the RPI bias for 2018. :lol:
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1


There is no RPI Bias. RPI is a formula and it doesn’t take into account any polls

I know that it’s a formula. But the part of the formula is based on strength of schedule and if you’re playing ranked teams like the SEC plays each other it goes into the formula. It’s a self fulfilling process. If you had none of them ranked it would hurt their RPI’s. Unfortunately they start with this and go forward.
Replace those 8 SEC schools with the AAC and you’d see our league RPI start at No. 1


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981

Profoundwizard
Surge
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2018 D1 Baseball Poll

Postby Profoundwizard » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:21 pm

You are wrong. The strength of schedule is based on your opponents records and the records of their opponents. The RPI formula doesn’t even know if a team is ranked in the D1 baseball poll or any other poll for that matter.



anEngineer
High Tide
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2018 D1 Baseball Poll

Postby anEngineer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Profoundwizard wrote:You are wrong. The strength of schedule is based on your opponents records and the records of their opponents. The RPI formula doesn’t even know if a team is ranked in the D1 baseball poll or any other poll for that matter.


Of course there is a assumption-based bias in RPI. There has to be. The only way to prove Team A from the SEC is better than Team B from AAC is for them to play each other. Since that did not happen, it resorts to comparing the teams they did play. SEC schools are assumed to be better before any games are played. From that point, they have to prove that they are not as good as originally thought, but the only games they lose are to other SEC schools who are also assumed to be elite; therefore the losses don't hurt them as much. By contrast AAC conference games can't boost RPI because pre-season assumptions have created a lower bar.

This is always the problem with pre-season rankings in every sport. It's probably unavoidable because there is no way to know who will be better or worse than thought, but to deny that the pre-season rankings stacks the deck for the rest of the season is ridiculous.



User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17033
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2018 D1 Baseball Poll

Postby tpstulane » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:44 pm

anEngineer wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:You are wrong. The strength of schedule is based on your opponents records and the records of their opponents. The RPI formula doesn’t even know if a team is ranked in the D1 baseball poll or any other poll for that matter.


Of course there is a assumption-based bias in RPI. There has to be. The only way to prove Team A from the SEC is better than Team B from AAC is for them to play each other. Since that did not happen, it resorts to comparing the teams they did play. SEC schools are assumed to be better before any games are played. From that point, they have to prove that they are not as good as originally thought, but the only games they lose are to other SEC schools who are also assumed to be elite; therefore the losses don't hurt them as much. By contrast AAC conference games can't boost RPI because pre-season assumptions have created a lower bar.

This is always the problem with pre-season rankings in every sport. It's probably unavoidable because there is no way to know who will be better or worse than thought, but to deny that the pre-season rankings stacks the deck for the rest of the season is ridiculous.

Thanks for explaining clearly. That’s the point I was trying to make.


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981

Profoundwizard
Surge
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2018 D1 Baseball Poll

Postby Profoundwizard » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:53 pm

And youre both still wrong. These preseason polls and even in season polls have zero bearing on the RPI.


You said "SEC schools are assumed to be better any games are played". That's incorrect in terms of RPI. Take a look at the RPI formula for yourselves. For these rankings to matter for the RPI they would have to be factored into the formula. They are not. Everyone starts off with the same blank slate in the RPI.



User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17033
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Re: 2018 D1Baseball Poll

Postby tpstulane » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Profoundwizard wrote:And youre both still wrong. These preseason polls and even in season polls have zero bearing on the RPI.


You said "SEC schools are assumed to be better any games are played". That's incorrect in terms of RPI. Take a look at the RPI formula for yourselves. For these rankings to matter for the RPI they would have to be factored into the formula. They are not. Everyone starts off with the same blank slate in the RPI.

My frustration on the SEC bias lies with the selection committee when it comes to RPI. They use RPI when they want it to fit their criteria. They keep teams out with high RPI’s because they’ll claim they didn’t play a tough schedule yet they may take a team with a lower RPI if they deem their schedule was “tough”. In the end it always seems to benefit SEC schools. So the fact that they start 8 in the top 16 plays right into that narrative.


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981

swampnik
High Tide
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:28 am
Location: Paris, France et NOLA
Status: Offline

Re: 2018 D1Baseball Poll

Postby swampnik » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 am

tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:And youre both still wrong. These preseason polls and even in season polls have zero bearing on the RPI.


You said "SEC schools are assumed to be better any games are played". That's incorrect in terms of RPI. Take a look at the RPI formula for yourselves. For these rankings to matter for the RPI they would have to be factored into the formula. They are not. Everyone starts off with the same blank slate in the RPI.

My frustration on the SEC bias lies with the selection committee when it comes to RPI. They use RPI when they want it to fit their criteria. They keep teams out with high RPI’s because they’ll claim they didn’t play a tough schedule yet they may take a team with a lower RPI if they deem their schedule was “tough”. In the end it always seems to benefit SEC schools. So the fact that they start 8 in the top 16 plays right into that narrative.



Cept no one can hold a good Houston Baptist team down! (wink)


nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)

golfnut69
Tsunami
Posts: 7376
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Re: 2018 D1Baseball Poll

Postby golfnut69 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:27 am

swampnik wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:And youre both still wrong. These preseason polls and even in season polls have zero bearing on the RPI.


You said "SEC schools are assumed to be better any games are played". That's incorrect in terms of RPI. Take a look at the RPI formula for yourselves. For these rankings to matter for the RPI they would have to be factored into the formula. They are not. Everyone starts off with the same blank slate in the RPI.

My frustration on the SEC bias lies with the selection committee when it comes to RPI. They use RPI when they want it to fit their criteria. They keep teams out with high RPI’s because they’ll claim they didn’t play a tough schedule yet they may take a team with a lower RPI if they deem their schedule was “tough”. In the end it always seems to benefit SEC schools. So the fact that they start 8 in the top 16 plays right into that narrative.



Cept no one can hold a good Houston Baptist team down! (wink)


Colin Montgomery did play his college golf there, after he was cut from the University of Houston team


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests