UCF

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Jaxwave
Swell

News out today that UCF will claim 2017 National Championship and hang banner in their stadium. I have suggested for years that Tulane do the same thing re the 1998 season. If my memory is correct, the Lake Charles newspaper named Tulane the NC after that season. Many schools have claimed many NCs based on their own criteria.

Jaxwave
Swell

By the way, produce all of usual gear and apparel memorializing that year. I’ll buy one of each of everything and wear it with pride.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Many schools have claimed many NCs based on their own criteria.
Bama wrote the book on that. You can put an asterisk next to most of the ones they claim pre-Saban.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

claim 1938..even tho Tulane lost to A&M in the sugar bowl 1-1-39
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Charge On!

The Knights have every reason to claim a national championship.

http://www.ucfknights.com/index.aspx?path=football

Amazing: they have 180K followers of their Facebook page. The AD is going to pay the coaching staff bonuses for winning the National Championship. Well done. Charge On, Knights, Charge On!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:By the way, produce all of usual gear and apparel memorializing that year. I’ll buy one of each of everything and wear it with pride.
+1
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

Difference between real leadership and Tulane circa 98....

Pretty amazing seeing the national talking heads taking up the Knights cause. Le Batard, Bilas, Bianchi, the list keeps growing! Even ESPN having to at least entertain the debate.

Finebaum still looking like a moron though, SEC kissass
Ruski
Swell

I posted this on the AAC forum:
If we're playing that game....

1. 1900, undefeated 5-0 Tulane ran over Ole Miss, LSU, Bama, Millsaps, Southern Athletic Club, outscored opponents 105-0

2. 1925, undefeated 9-0-1, nation's leading scorer, beat Northwestern in Chicago, 6/10 shutouts, outscored opponents 246-23

3. 1929, undefeated 9-0, turned down the Rose Bowl so student's wouldn't miss finals, outscored opponents 297-45

4. 1934, 10-1, undefeated in SEC play, beat Temple in the Sugar Bowl, outscored opponents 225-93, (only loss to Colgate in Old Yankee Stadium)

5. 1998, 12-0, won the Liberty Bowl by 14 points.

So Tulane actually should claim 5 national championships!

In fact the only real national title Tulane played for was the 1939 Sugar Bowl. Number 5 ranked Tulane hosted the Number 1 ranked Aggies Texas A&M at the old Sugar Bowl on Tulane's campus. The Greenies came up one point short, losing 14-13 and cementing their number 5 rank to end the season.
That year Tulane beat Clemson, Auburn, Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU amoung others. Interestingly they played every single game at home except when they traveled to New York to beat up on Columbia 25-0.

We're like the Mr. Penut of the AAC with all our weird old classy history haha!
Bearwave
High Tide

They had a great season. We'll never know if they would have been undefeated playing in a P5. If they were in say the SEC East, they would possibly get Ga., Fla, SC, and maybe Bama or LSU from the west in consecutive weeks. Far harder to win out with that type of schedule than the one they faced. Still good for them to claim their piece of the pie, something I wish Tulane had done in 98.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If I remember correctly someone posted a couple of years ago about a major publication declaring the 1929 team NC's. Maybe someone can find that link.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

Paul Finebaum went on a rant on how can they cheapen Monday night’s game and it is demeaning to the teams. Hey Paul what’s demeaning is the power 5 conferences basically eliminating all other Div 1 schools about 20 years ago and hoarding the millions in proceeds while using uneducated poor young men to line the pockets of the schools, admins and coaches.
Ruski
Swell

Dannen taking a page out of Danny White's stellar trolling book!
https://twitter.com/TU_Dannen/status/948662898812964865 20th anniversary banner with a proper national championship celebration/ceremony at the home opener would be amazing!
Jaxwave
Swell

Can you imagine that SEC shill Finebaum kissing up to his fan base by claiming UCF is “demeaning” the teams. Hey Paul, they demeaned Auburn, they might as well demean two teams that Auburn beat.
I just emailed Tulane who will announce shortly they are claiming 1998 NC and will hang banner in their stadium, I wish.

Tee Martin wasn’t beating Shaun King that year.
We’re No 1! We’re No 1!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote:By the way, produce all of usual gear and apparel memorializing that year. I’ll buy one of each of everything and wear it with pride.
Dave over at Campus Connection is looking to do some stuff. I think he's waiting for school approval though.
https://twitter.com/TulaneShop/status/9 ... 7532857344
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
nawlinspete
Riptide

Ruski wrote:I posted this on the AAC forum:
If we're playing that game....

1. 1900, undefeated 5-0 Tulane ran over Ole Miss, LSU, Bama, Millsaps, Southern Athletic Club, outscored opponents 105-0

2. 1925, undefeated 9-0-1, nation's leading scorer, beat Northwestern in Chicago, 6/10 shutouts, outscored opponents 246-23

3. 1929, undefeated 9-0, turned down the Rose Bowl so student's wouldn't miss finals, outscored opponents 297-45

4. 1934, 10-1, undefeated in SEC play, beat Temple in the Sugar Bowl, outscored opponents 225-93, (only loss to Colgate in Old Yankee Stadium)

5. 1998, 12-0, won the Liberty Bowl by 14 points.

So Tulane actually should claim 5 national championships!

In fact the only real national title Tulane played for was the 1939 Sugar Bowl. Number 5 ranked Tulane hosted the Number 1 ranked Aggies Texas A&M at the old Sugar Bowl on Tulane's campus. The Greenies came up one point short, losing 14-13 and cementing their number 5 rank to end the season.
That year Tulane beat Clemson, Auburn, Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU amoung others. Interestingly they played every single game at home except when they traveled to New York to beat up on Columbia 25-0.

We're like the Mr. Penut of the AAC with all our weird old classy history haha!
All five championship teams need banners as does the 1959 National Championship Men's Tennis team.

All banners should be unveiled at Yulman with the men who won those championships .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Cowen probably didn't want to claim national championship. Or was too thick to think of it.

I remember watching Tennessee play FSU for the MNC. I am not positive we would have beaten Tennessee, but it would have been a much more fun game to watch than that 23-16 snoozer.
chain gang x man
Swell

Jaxwave
Swell

I'm not sure Tennessee would have beaten us.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote:I'm not sure Tennessee would have beaten us.
Either am I. I have always wondered what if? That was one hell of a team with an opportunistic D that gave up a lot of yards, but not a lot of points (until the game was out of reach). King was a monster and he had weapons.
netshorty
Surge

DfromCT wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:I'm not sure Tennessee would have beaten us.
Either am I. I have always wondered what if? That was one hell of a team with an opportunistic D that gave up a lot of yards, but not a lot of points (until the game was out of reach). King was a monster and he had weapons.
Tulane + 14 over So. Miss. So Miss + 55 over ULL (SW LA) = + 69
Tenn +4 over Arkansas. Arkansas + 21 over ULL (SW LA) = + 25

Pretty safe to assume Tulane would have beaten Tenn by about 44...not even close.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

1998 Playoff Simulator:
http://picksixpreviews.com/1998-college ... ation.html
Finally, 12-0 Tulane did not face a single ranked team and was not considered for the Top 4.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

You do realize the P5 programs have been instructed by their commissioners to avoid scheduling the better G5 schools to avoid giving them an argument to be included.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote:You do realize the P5 programs have been instructed by their commissioners to avoid scheduling the better G5 schools to avoid giving them an argument to be included.
And to me, that's the part that just begs for a lawsuit. Refuse to play the better G5s, then when they have a year like UCF did you say they didn't play anyone. Seems like right now the P5s have their cake and they're eating it too. Must be some way to poison that cake.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
netshorty
Surge

Jaxwave wrote:You do realize the P5 programs have been instructed by their commissioners to avoid scheduling the better G5 schools to avoid giving them an argument to be included.
Wait, are you saying that Notre Dame won't schedule us if we get to be pretty good? Probably need to start a thread on that... :o
IM42lane
Swell

ANY university which has had an UNDEFEATED season since Tulane's 1998 season should claim a national championship, period.
Hang all the banners that you wish as far as I am concerned. Aggravate the NCAA mercilessly and let them know that the playoff system has not improved anything.

There was a time when it was suggested that the winners of the Sugar, Rose, Orange, and Cotton bowl games be matched up in a NC playoff. Maybe that should be re-examined.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere